Home Theater Media Server and NAS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-02-2013, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I didn't know if this was appropriate to post in this or the Home Theater Computers forum but I'll post here. I have a need for a NAS to store all my photos, videos, music, etc. I also want to have RAID setup with at least 3tb of space for data retention purposes in case a drive fails so that I'll be able to recover my content. I also wanted to be able to stream that content to my iOS devices, TiVo Premiere (in bedroom), and also to my living room TV. The only device I have hooked up to my living room TV is a FiOS DVR and PS3. I do have a lot of burned DVDs and other such material that I may want to store digitally in one location for easier access. I'm looking for a solution that will meet all these requirements.

I currently have an AMD Phenom X4 3.0ghz CPU with 16gb of RAM and a few smaller hard drives. I don't recall the motherboard I own. I'd need to get a new power supply, DVD/Blu-ray drive and two WD Red 3tb hard drives. I don't know if I'd need a RAID card but I believe my motherboard has onboard RAID functionality (is that suitable?).

With that said, would I be better to get a Synology NAS, assuming it would meet my requirements, or could I get away with using my existing hardware to setup a data backup server for all my media but also stream content as needed to various devices? Does anyone have experience doing this? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-02-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I built an UnRaid server with some old computer parts, and bought the Pro License from Lime Tech (UnRaid), which holds up to 23 data drives, 1 Parity drive (backup) and cache drive (use for faster transfer and applications). I've got 15 TB already and running out of space eek.gif I mainly use it to store all of my BD's and DVD's movies. I stream to my living room and master bedroom without any issues via Dune Smart Series D1 and Dune TV303D. I can also stream the movies to iPads and iPhones by using an AirVideo application. My server automatically transcodes the movies on the fly. This requires a fast processor. My processor is a AMD Dual Core, and if I try to stream two BD movies to the iPads at once, it starts to stutter due to not having enough processing power. I rarely stream to my iOS devices so it doesn't bother me.

I would suggest to take a look at UnRaid or FlexRaid. However, if you have the money and can afford Synology then I would go that route instead.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #3 of 10 Old 09-02-2013, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

I'm trying to limit my expenses on this en devour. The Dune device looks quite expensive and may be out of my league. I know off topic but how do you backup your purchased Blu-rays?
post #4 of 10 Old 09-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokus View Post

I'm trying to limit my expenses on this en devour. The Dune device looks quite expensive and may be out of my league. I know off topic but how do you backup your purchased Blu-rays?
Dont know much about the TIVO but i have a Synology ds1812 with 8 3 tb hard drives streaming to Dunes. You might want to post a budget range so people can give you specific suggestions.

As far as ripping blu rays i used Anydvd HD. You can do a youtube search for ripping blu rays with Anydvd hd and also Dvdfab. Also their is this thread as well

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1336046/ripping-blu-rays-ii
post #5 of 10 Old 09-02-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokus View Post

Yeah, the Dune Smart Series media players are pretty expensive nowadays. Specially since they have been discontinued most of them go for well over $400. There are other media players such as Mede8er and PCH. Then you've got WDTV, Pivos Aios, and others that cost less.

I currently do everything as MKV or M2TS main movie only file. I use AnyDVD HD to remove encryption, and then I use ClownBD to rip to either M2TS or BD folder structure. I thereafter use MKVMerger and turn the BD folder structure in to an MKV. I only do this if by some reason or another MakeMKV doesn't rip the BD correctly or simply won't do it, which has happened several times.

If you have a PC that you are not using that support DTS-MA and True-HD, you can turning it into an HTPC and use XMBC as jukebox.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #6 of 10 Old 09-02-2013, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. My budget is probably on par with what I would spend for a Synology device and 2 hard drives. I'm guessing maybe $550. My issue is the fact that I have multiple sources of media. There is a PS3 with Amazon and Netflix apps. I also have Blu-Ray and DVD disc based media. It's annoying because I spend half the time trying to find something to watch than actually watching something smile.gif Ok, I'm exagerating but I'm sure you get my point. I figured I definitely need a NAS storage type solution for all my personal stuff such as family videos, photos and other media so I a) Don't lose them to a drive failure and b) so I can centrally access them from wherever I tend to enjoy them, usually in the living room and bedroom. Maybe the reasonably priced solution I want doesn't exist without shelling out some cash.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-02-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

You will be better off building your own server. With a $550 budget you'll be able to buy a 4 bay Synology and maybe on hard drive. 4 bay are a waste of money unless you are planning to had another Synology down the road. This was the reason why I went with unraid. You can use older computer parts, you have 1parity drive for back up, and you can use all the other drives for data.

I'm probably going to build another server using FlexRaid since you can have dual parity drives.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #8 of 10 Old 09-02-2013, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

With that being said, let's say I use this extra computer I have and use UnRaid. My next question is how do I get my media to my TV? I need to store the computer on the other side of the room. Buying an HDMI cable that long is not economical.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-02-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

UnRaid is for storage. You will need a media player to stream your movies via Ethernet.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #10 of 10 Old 09-02-2013, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

I've seen in other threads talking about Windows Home Server. Can any comparison be made between the two OSes? What does one offer over the other? Also, has anyone used SATA RAID on a motherboard? I have the ASUS M5A88-M and it supports RAID. I figured that would save me money instead of buying a SATA RAID card. Also, what about using something like a Roku 3 or another streaming device with Plex in order to get the media off my storage box?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page