Wireless Router advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-04-2013, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all, I live in the sticks; well compared to most. Anyhow I have Satellite Internet through Hughesnet and the Latency can be bad but to be expected. I have a Samsung smart t.v., Yamaha 7.2 surround& an HD external cloud storage device that I use through the wireless router.
When the installer (two weeks ago) installed everything I had to run out and purchase a Belkin wireless router. Well it quit yesterday and I need to replace it. My question: What do I replace it with?

Thanks,
Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-04-2013, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

I've read that some use a ASUS RT-N56U Black Diamond Dual-Band Gigabit Wireless-N Router with custom firmware but have no idea what all that is.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-04-2013, 04:58 PM

The Apple AirPort Extreme (new model) and the Linksys EA6500. The Apple has the
coolest temperature. It is easy to setup with Windows or OSX
post #4 of 12 Old 09-04-2013, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Asus makes a nice router and it will serve you well. Apple is fine if you have more apple equipment, but not really needed if you don't.

What exactly are you planning on streaming wirelessly? Anything other than SD content will be iffy in most cases. A hard wired solution is best in almost every application.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-04-2013, 09:41 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtoys View Post

& an HD external cloud storage device
Not sure what that means? HiDef cloud storage? A file is a file. A network external hard drive?
Do you need a networked printer or have network storage?

If your buying a new projector, buy more lumens than you will use. Running it in "Eco Mode" makes your bulb last 20-40% longer and reduces noise and heat.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-04-2013, 10:56 PM

Liked: 22
When I moved into a larger I house last year I ran into weak wireless signal issues in some rooms. I researched quite a bit and finally got an ASUS N66U wireless router. There are a few models. The models with the external antennas are known for having excellent signal strength, if you need it.

Asus routers cost more but also have several features, USB storage, network server, connect an Android phone for Internet access and much much more like VPN and cloud storage features. I just use it as a strong wireless router. I did play with various firmware versions but they are only necessary if you want to use some of the more exotic features or have specific device connectivity issues. Chances are your best bet is to just plug it in, run the setup and leave it be.

Since most TV's, AVR's, Blu ray players, DVR's and game consoles are built with really cheap and flaky wireless client cards, many AV devices struggle on WiIFi. So you can also consider buying two routers and using one as a wireless bridge. This is what I do. I have an older wireless router mounted behind my media cabinet. It connects over WiFi to my main ASUS router. And I use LAN cable connections from the bridge router to my TV, AVR, DVR, Blu-Ray and Xbox. The LAN cable connection to bridge router improves movie and media streaming performance significantly. The bridge router sustains a much more robust wireless signal quality than any of the cheap wireless cards built into nearly all AV devices. Our cable ISP has occasional bandwidth challenges on Friday and Saturday nights exactly when I want to watch movies on VUDU or Amazon. Weak WIFI connections only make the problem worse. So my video on demand buffering problems were greatly reduced after I setup the wireless bridge.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-05-2013, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter

@ DtommyD, sorry about that, it's a WD external drive not an HD smile.gif

@peterfram, thanks for your input, that's the stuff I need to know! Is there a write up somewhere that describes how to bridge like that? Also, how good of a router would be needed for the bridge router as you describe yours as being older.

Thanks,
Rick
post #8 of 12 Old 09-05-2013, 04:22 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

@ DtommyD, sorry about that, it's a WD external drive not an HD smile.gif
So that will mean you'll be looking for a router with a USB port. Apple's Airport is my favorite router. More expensive but worth it. It seems strange to give praise to the Airport when you never need to think about it. It must be that every other router I've owned drove me NUTS! Mac or pc. You could get one used off eBay. There are no moving parts so its hard to kill and super stable.

If your buying a new projector, buy more lumens than you will use. Running it in "Eco Mode" makes your bulb last 20-40% longer and reduces noise and heat.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-05-2013, 08:40 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:

@peterfram, thanks for your input, that's the stuff I need to know! Is there a write up somewhere that describes how to bridge like that? Also, how good of a router would be needed for the bridge router as you describe yours as being older.

Thanks,
Rick

Well it is not a quick and easy task to do the first time. Some routers like ASUS have the bridge setting built into the router firmware. But buying two ASUS routers is an expensive way to go. My bridged router is an older Linksys with DD-WRT bridge firmware installed. If you decide to invest time into going that route, read through DD-WRT documentation to find a router that is compatible.

I would sort your primary router needs first. If that goes well you can spend some time reading up on how to setup a bridge and maybe look for a used compatible router on Amazon, Ebay or where ever.

More info from a quick google search:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-turn-an-old-router-into-a-wireless-bridge/
post #10 of 12 Old 09-06-2013, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I use a ASUS AC-66U, and it has worked excellent. I like that I can set up the dual bands independently of each other for my wireless devices. It was a pretty expensive router approximately $190 dollars with rebates.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #11 of 12 Old 09-06-2013, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

GusGus748s, I actually bit the bullet and purchased the same one from Amazon as I got tired of trying to figure out which was just good enough!
post #12 of 12 Old 09-06-2013, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your input.

Rick
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page