Need help streaming from NAS drive to TV - too slow! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-05-2013, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all,

I'm kinda new at this, so please bear with me!

I am trying to set-up a NAS drive to have some video files on it that I can then stream and watch in my Samsung smart TV. I was able to get it set-up such that I can find the files on my TV, but when I play them it will only play for ~10 seconds, then the sound drops out and 1-3 seconds later the video stops and there is a "loading" message on the TV. So it seems like it can't get the data from the NAS drive to the TV fast enough?

Here's my set-up:
  • NAS drive is a Buffalo LinkStation ProDuo with two Western Digital drives (each 1TB) set-up in RAID (the one where one drive is a mirror back-up of the other, I can't remember if that is RAID 0 or RAID 1).
  • The NAS drive is connected to my wireless router via cat 5E Ethernet cable.
  • The wireless router is a Cisco Linksys EA3500 dual band router.
  • The TV is a Samsung UN55ES6580FXZA

I've tried two different files...both are approximately 45 minutes of viewing and are ~4GB of data. File type is Windows Media (.wmv).

Just as a data point, I transferred a large file from my NAS drive to my laptop hard drive (over wireless network) when the window came up it said it was transferring at a rate of ~5.6 MB/sec. I don't know if this is good or bad?

I thought I bought a decent quality router and NAS drive and TV...it seems like I am trying to do a relatively simple/common task. Can anyone help me figure out why the speed is not sufficient and the video cannot play smooth without having to "re-load" every ~10 seconds?

Thank you so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 601
See what file formats does your devise support and look up media players. There's a lot of info on this forum about it.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

Old 09-05-2013, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Gus - which device are you speaking of? My NAS drive? The TV? The router? Sorry...I'm trying to learn.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Your NAS is just a storage device, your router provides the IP addresses / communication with the devices. You TV is your client. Your TV is trying to access the data / files stored in your NAS. However, if your TV cannot understand the format of you files, it will not be able to play it. You need to know what file formats it will understand so it can play them. Most smart TV's nowadays are limited to the type of formats they can understand. That why most people use a media player such as Dune, Mede8er, PCH, WDTV, Boxee Box, etc. Or they can use a PC, which its called HTPC (Home Theater PC).

For example, I use a UnRaid server to store all of my movies DVD and BD. I rip my movies into MKV or M2TS file format main movie with HD sound and subs if needed. I use either a Dune Smart Series D1 and a Dune TV303D to stream my movies and play them. wink.gif

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

Old 09-06-2013, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Support for WMV is sketchy at best outside of any Microsoft platform, the Samsung TV may only play certain WMV files.

Copy a WMV to a USB flash drive and play it on the TV from that to see how well the TV handles playback, if it chokes then it's more likely the media in which case feed your WMV into Handbrake select high profile preset, click start and the TV should not have any problems with the H.264/MP4 copy it produces.

If it plays fine then you got a network issue of some kind, get a long ethernet cable to temporarily test with and plug that TV into the router same as NAS, now try playing media to see how well it performs, if it's fine then your wireless on the TV isnt up to the task you should look at alternatives ideally ethernet or maybe a powerline adapter (ethernet over power cables) and lastly a better performing ethernet to wireless bridge that you would plug into TV ethernet (Apple Airport Express for example which has 802.11n 5Ghz support).
Old 09-06-2013, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Wheels,

First think I would do is put the file on a usb thumb drive and make sure it plays on the TV that way.

There is a good chance the culprit is your wireless connection. Even a decent wireless connection can have quality issues. If the signal gets interrupted for any reason, Samsung TV playback just seems to stop working. This likely has as much to do with the wireless adapter on the TV & the TV software as it does the router. Best test would be try a wired connection temporarily.

You could try a different security protocol or change the wireless channel (wireless router setup) and see if that helps.

EDIT-- looks likeAlx330 beat me to it........
Old 09-06-2013, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Holy crap I have a lot to learn...thank you for the advice so far!

Since it plays, just plays choppy...does that not imply that the TV supports the ***** format? Am I correct in assuming that if the TV did not support that file format, it wouldn't play at all? So then that would get me to a network issue. I tried putting the files on a USB drive, but each time I tried copying it over, it said the file was too large (even though I know there was plenty of room on the flash drive. It was weird. Maybe I'll try putting it on the laptop drive and then connecting the laptop to the TV via HDMI cable. I guess that would help conclude if the file format is an issue...if it plays fine, then we know for sure it's not a file format issue, right? Then it would either be a problem with my router, or the wireless adapter on the TV? Any chance it's a cable issue between the NAS and router? That cable is just a cat 5e....if I upgrade that to cat 6, will that help much?

Thanks again for the help!
Old 09-06-2013, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Just because the TV can play a WMV file, does not mean it can play all WMV files, as WMV files vary with resolution, bitrate, etc depending on the video itself. If it plays fine via usb then yes, you likely have a network issue.

The file is too big to copy to a USB drive because FAT32 file format has limits. Re-format to NTFS and you should be able to copy it, but I don't know if the TV can read an NTFS thumb drive, some are limited to FAT and FAT32 formats. In that case, I don't know what you can do to test locally except find a way to split the file into smaller pieces (video editing software).

Playing on a laptop via HDMI won't necessarily tell you anything, unfortunately. If you can play it on the laptop itself, it will play via HDMI just the same. I assume it is a windows laptop, windows is much more forgiving when it comes to wireless network quality issues than your Samsung TV.

While its most likely your wireless connection, IMO, one other thing that you might check is if you NAS is transcoding, which is essentially re-encoding the file as it is streamed to the TV. Some NAS DLNA software will do this by default, you could try looking at any settings on your NAS and turn transcoding on/off if indeed that is a feature it has.