How to AirPlay Stream to Outdoor Speakers to Deck? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-05-2013, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I'm planning to buy a pair of outdoor speakers to listen to music via my iPad out to my home's deck. What would be a good way to set this up? The speaker wires from the outside coming inside to a receiver with AirPlay capability? Instead of a receiver, is there a cheaper, simpler solution? I presently physically carry out my Klipsch AirPlay boombox to the deck, connect it to a wallplug, then use my iPad via AirPlay. This is why I'm looking into outdoor speakers, but don't know how to wire them for wireless music. Thanks for any guidance.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-05-2013, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I installed mine this spring and ran speaker wire from the Zone-2 powered output of my Denon receiver under the house and then through conduit up to the outdoor speakers. Outdoor speakers are going to require an amp of some kind and no standalone amp that I know of will support Airplay by itself. A receiver really is your best bet and the wire isn't expensive even if you need to do a long run.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 01:29 AM

Liked: 13
You could leave the klipsh inside and use it's headphone jack to connect to the wireless speakers base station. The klipsh airplay way obviously works well for you. You can't run full sized speakers from the hedphone jack, but it would provide a great "line out". You could also run that "line out" over cat5 with an adapter to some computer speakers. Check out Cat5Adapters.com for the adapters.

If your buying a new projector, buy more lumens than you will use. Running it in "Eco Mode" makes your bulb last 20-40% longer and reduces noise and heat.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys. From what I've read for zone 2 on a HT receiver, devices connected via HDMI won't get audio, that separate analog connections are needed. Not needed for AirPlay, but something to keep in mind it seems.

post #5 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 10:06 AM

Liked: 10
You're probably right, but I only use my outdoor speakers for Airplay and a record player (connected from a pre-amp via analog RCA) so that hasn't been an issue. If you plan to play music from a Blu-ray player or something you'd have to hook up analog audio from the player as well since the HDMI isn't going to convert on it's own.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 11:55 AM

Isn't it funny how many wires we end up creating so we can go wireless?
Have you looked into anything with Bluetooth? I know the 30' limitation but a bluetooth receiver to a used stereo reciever in a closet or a laundry room with wires running to the deck would work too. Unless your married that is. What about powered computer speakers on the deck? They make some nice ones nowadays. Have you considered just whistling or humming? Everyone loves a whistler. So damn cheery.

If your buying a new projector, buy more lumens than you will use. Running it in "Eco Mode" makes your bulb last 20-40% longer and reduces noise and heat.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-07-2013, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sonos Connect Amp.

Jgiddyup
post #8 of 9 Old 09-08-2013, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Thanks guys. From what I've read for zone 2 on a HT receiver, devices connected via HDMI won't get audio, that separate analog connections are needed. Not needed for AirPlay, but something to keep in mind it seems.

Here's an hdmi pass through audio extractor. Boom. In your face hdmi!
http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011412&p_id=10251&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

post #9 of 9 Old 09-08-2013, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the ideas. I ordered a Pioneer VSX-822-K AirPlay receiver and a pair of Yamaha NS-AW350 outdoor speakers. Wiring these in order to get wireless via iPad and iPhone smile.gif.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page