How to back up movies you've bought from Fios - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-07-2013, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What happens to movies you've bought from Fios if/when you change content providers? Do you forfit what you've bought and paid for if you cancel the subscription? Is there a way to back up my Motorola STB's HDD?

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-07-2013, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Good question, I have always wondered that myself. Can't wait to hear the answer.

Bxbigpipi
post #3 of 9 Old 09-07-2013, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefuel View Post

What happens to movies you've bought from Fios if/when you change content providers? Do you forfit what you've bought and paid for if you cancel the subscription? Is there a way to back up my Motorola STB's HDD?
I don't know Fios in particular. But, in general, these boxes are designed to work only when there is a head-end connection. Once you lose that the contents are unwatchable. That is how it is with Telus(cisco) and Shaw(motorola+Pace) boxes.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-08-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishwa Somayaji View Post

I don't know Fios in particular. But, in general, these boxes are designed to work only when there is a head-end connection. Once you lose that the contents are unwatchable. That is how it is with Telus(cisco) and Shaw(motorola+Pace) boxes.

If the box has analog video out, you can use a Hauppauge HDPVR to record the video to your computer while you play it.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-08-2013, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My Motorola HD-DVR has a firewire port. My PC is equiped with firewire. I was half arsed hoping this was the solution. However, I have not been able to find anything of use for the Motorola port.

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-09-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My Motorola HD-DVR has a firewire port. My PC is equiped with firewire. I was half arsed hoping this was the solution. However, I have not been able to find anything of use for the Motorola port.

That wont work as all "digital" content is protected. That is why the Hauppauge HDPVR needs to use your component outputs as it uses the analog outs to get around the protection
post #7 of 9 Old 09-09-2013, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I doubt this will work but it might be of some interest. There is a utility called CAPDVHS that is designed to work with some motorola dvrs using the firewire port. At one time I used to record almost any channel in nice HD
to my computer. It was a little flakey but it worked and I still have a pile of movies and shows I captured. The funny thing is the cable tech who installed my box told me about the program and downloaded it for me from the
cable company site. It wasn't available for general downloading but is still out there http://replayguide.sourceforge.net/dct6412/. Unfortunately it requires Win XP, I've never been able to use it on Win 7. The number of
channels it will record has steadily declined hence my doubt it will work for you. Still it's fun to play with and there are channels that can be captured. When you're in the capture window you will see a something, a frame
size if I remember correctly, that indicates a usable file is being captured. It will be in a TS container. I remember one weird capture where I got all the digital channels, say 5.1 5.2. 5.3 etc., at one time and I had to fiddle
around pulling out what I wanted. My motorola dvr had 2 firewire ports and only one of them was active. If you know how to access the service page on yours you can see what ports are active and sometimes what channels
are copy protected. Movies are generally protected.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-10-2013, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
OP's question was not about recording but using the recorded program after he leaves the service provider. The box will not work to play it on either analog or digital outputs.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-12-2013, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishwa Somayaji View Post

OP's question was not about recording but using the recorded program after he leaves the service provider. The box will not work to play it on either analog or digital outputs.

If you record them, then you can play them anytime, even when you leave your provider. It has worked on the 3 systems that I have tried it on just fine.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page