I'm dizzy... Server for only one room... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-14-2013, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Ok so I've come to the realization that when it comes to servers, I'm just an idiot. I have a Dune HD Smart D1. I've been ripping my collection to 1 & 2 tb drives and just using a HDD USB adaptor with one HDD at a a time and I have an old school list of what movies are on what drives. When I only had a couple of HDDs it was not a big deal, but now I'm kind of defeating the purpose of the streaming player. So, I have the original BDs so I can take the physical disc to another room if I need. I'm basically not interested in streaming to multiple players in multiple rooms because movie watching takes place 99.998% of the time in the theater. If I just want one player to access my digital files, is it different than what ppl are using for whole house streaming? I also don't "need" raid since I can re-rip my discs, but that would be a major pita. And just because I'm using the words server and raid, please don't assume I know that I know anything other than how to spell them. biggrin.gif

I probably need 20tb to be safe but more would be better. I've read some threads but like my subject says, I'm dizzy. I am just honestly at a loss as to how to accomplish this. Help? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-14-2013, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I forgot this link.

http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-H82-SU3S2-ProBox-External-Enclosure/dp/B005GYDMYG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1346172636&sr=1-1&keywords=probox+8+bays

If I one or two of those, would I just plug it/them in via USB and be good to go, plus be able to use something like mymovies?
post #3 of 5 Old 09-14-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 592
There are several threads on this forum about servers for example UnRaid, FlexRaid, ubuntu, etc. Hell, if you Google or YouTube how to make a server you will have many options. It is pretty simple to do. If I built an UnRaid server anyone can do it. Here's a guide done by Damian.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011/05/18/guide-unraid-server-part-1-the-journey-to-unraid/

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #4 of 5 Old 09-14-2013, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I built my own unraid server about 7 years ago - I just switched to Synology last week.

I do not want to turn your thread into a Unraid vs. Synology so I will stick to my personal experience which is simple - Unraid can do a lot of cool things if you have the time and patience. If you want something that is easier to figure out, but costs a little more than Synology is the way to go IMO

I had my Synology up and running in 1 hour, it took me a few days to figure out my Unraid. I wanted to get my Unraid to work with UpNp, to do that I had to add files to the boot drive and, in reading folks experience getting UpNp to work with Unraid some lost data because they didn't do it right; on Synology I clicked a button to get UpNp.

Good luck on your choice; there are a lot of different opinions and if there was one right answer everyone would be using it so have fun along the way

My setup - Dune Player / Oppo 95 / Unraid server / Synology 1812+ / Samsung UN75F8000AFXZA

Best
post #5 of 5 Old 09-14-2013, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

GUS- thanks for the link. I've read every thread I think on here. Just need to slow down and try to comprehend wink.gif

LEWIS- I hear ya. If there was one right option I'd be in a much happier place biggrin.gif
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page