my dilemma - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-14-2013, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi: here is my dilemma I currently have the following equipment: Yamaha RX-A1000, Panasonic 55ST60, PS3, Panasonic 230 Blu-ray player, Cisco PVR8642. Here my problem I’d like to add a htpc to my network I have a i5/760 main CPU at the other end of my living room running on a different fuse, however due to the way my apt is wired the HTPC is going to be on the side where all my gear is (on 15 amp fuse!!) it the HTPC would have to be very low in power consumption during the summer months as the A/C is on the same circuit. Could I just use a long HDMI cable from the Yamaha to my CPU (has a GT610 video card) and avoid having to buy a HTPC for now or for good?? If not the HTPC would be using for watching my movies (mostly Blu-ray but some DVD and TV shows stored on my drives and same streaming for my music too. What “builds” would be possible within my limitations??Thanks for the help

Here are 2 I’m looking at [URL=http://Hi: here is my dilemma I currently have the following equipment: Yamaha RX-A1000, Panasonic 55ST60, PS3, Panasonic 230 Blu-ray player, Cisco PVR8642. Here my problem I’d like to add a htpc to my network I have a i5/760 main CPU at the other end of my living room running on a different fuse, however due to the way my apt is wired the HTPC is going to be on the side where all my gear is (on 15 amp fuse!!) it the HTPC would have to be very low in power consumption during the summer months as the A/C is on the same circuit. Could I just use a long HDMI cable from the Yamaha to my CPU (has a GT610 video card) and avoid having to buy a HTPC for now or for good?? If not the HTPC would be using for watching my movies (mostly Blu-ray but some DVD and TV shows stored on my drives and same streaming for my music too. What “builds” would be possible within my limitations??Thanks for the help

Here are 2 I’m looking at http://mymediaexperience.com/htpc-builds/budget-htpc/

http://mymediaexperience.com/htpc-builds/value-htpc/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-15-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 594
You will have to buy a very expensive HDMI cable that can amplify the source. Or you can try HDMI over ethernet. FIY amplified HDMI cable are mono-directional.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 Old 09-15-2013, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi: I just tried to hook up my CPU to my A/V system on a "Temp" basis booted up no problem, great picture...however no sound!!! looked at my settings on my GT610 video card) saw nothing I could change. Any idea's how to overcome this??? if I can get it working in a temp set-up as I think if I can't get it working properly there is no point getting the longer HMDI cable as it should work either way!!
Here is the Cable I'm planning to get http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025506&p_id=9431&seq=1&format=2
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page