Simply what is the most reliable no BS mkv player? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-15-2013, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not looking for anything fancy. I currently have the popcorn A210 and it works great for the most part. I just need something solid for mkv play back through portable usb and maybe cat5 networking. I don't need any menu, jukebox, etc....Recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-16-2013, 07:02 AM

Liked: 18
XBMC...

*runs for cover* biggrin.gif
post #3 of 5 Old 09-16-2013, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by L33TX43RT View Post

XBMC...

*runs for cover* biggrin.gif
Yup.

For less than the cost of many "dedicated" players (Dune/Popcorn/etc.) simply buy an Intel Nuc (Celeron 847) and add some memory (cheap), a fast USB flash drive (cheap) with OpenELEC w/ XBMC (free) installed, and a MCE IR remote/receiver (cheap). Done. And it plays virtually everything except some 10-bit h264 files that all the other dedicated players don't play either.

I can't believe how many false starts I followed before seeing the light.

In the interest of fairness, yes, there are some dedicated players that can be acquired for less than the setup described above but they don't support the wide berth of codec combinations. Remember that "MKV" is really just a container and the real issue for no-BS operation, IMHO, is universal support for the video/audio tracks within the MKV and solid software/firmware support.

XBMC wins that contest hands down.

**runs even further** biggrin.gif
pittsoccer33 likes this.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-22-2013, 06:48 PM

Liked: 10
At, the risk of hijacking this thread, sorry, would that Intel nuc Celeron have the horsepower to handle 1080p video, DTS/DD5.1 audio with 2gb ram? I have a 64gb SSD, 4 1gb DIMMs (I know I can only use 2) sitting around that I can use. I would also like to be able to play back flac/apple lossless audio too, so I was thinking vlc and a light Linux install. Main concern would be CPU and memory needed.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-22-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post

Yup.

For less than the cost of many "dedicated" players (Dune/Popcorn/etc.) simply buy an Intel Nuc (Celeron 847) and add some memory (cheap), a fast USB flash drive (cheap) with OpenELEC w/ XBMC (free) installed, and a MCE IR remote/receiver (cheap). Done. And it plays virtually everything except some 10-bit h264 files that all the other dedicated players don't play either.

I can't believe how many false starts I followed before seeing the light.

In the interest of fairness, yes, there are some dedicated players that can be acquired for less than the setup described above but they don't support the wide berth of codec combinations. Remember that "MKV" is really just a container and the real issue for no-BS operation, IMHO, is universal support for the video/audio tracks within the MKV and solid software/firmware support.

XBMC wins that contest hands down.

**runs even further** biggrin.gif

No reason to run the only issue with the Intel nuc/xbmc is the PQ. Built in xbmc player is terrible with PQ not to the same level as the dune/pch, You have to run MADVR/mpc-hc as an external player for xbmc to surpass the PQ of the DUNE/pch and sadly the intel NUC is not fast enough for this for 1080p content. Not to mention only the newest haswell intel chips now support 23.976fps, before you got micro stutter. So intel/nuc is a decent solution if PQ and frame sync as I still think it cant sync at 50fps also but I may be wrong on that one is not a main concern. But sadly when PQ and things are a concern the tweaking level of xbmc goes way up along with the price.

Its not a solution for everyone for some of the things mentioned but it is a very good and easy solution for people that can deal with the short comings of it. Each system has its pros and cons all depends which you can live with
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page