Cover Art on Media Players - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-20-2013, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hello all. I have a quick question. What, if any, media players/streaming boxes will show the movie poster for my movies when searching for them on my NAS? Right now I have a western digital NAS and use thr western digital play. I use iTunes to mux or mix a picture file to the movie file after copying and converting a blu ray to a mp4. However, do to file size limitations my cover art only shows on the smaller DVD files. I want them to show on all the movies. Is there a box with no limitations? Thanks in advance for any help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-20-2013, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 228
I use a i3 NUC running OpenElec/XBMC as a Media player/server and a UnRaid NAS for storage of the ripped movies and artwork.

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, and a Yamaha P7000s.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-21-2013, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post

I use a i3 NUC running OpenElec/XBMC as a Media player/server and a UnRaid NAS for storage of the ripped movies and artwork.

Thanks for the reply. This links perfect for what I want. Is it hard to install the XBMC? I'm sure it doesn't come pre-loaded and I'm not much of a techie.
post #4 of 8 Old 09-21-2013, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post

Thanks for the reply. This links perfect for what I want. Is it hard to install the XBMC? I'm sure it doesn't come pre-loaded and I'm not much of a techie.
It is very easy... AIR, you download the zip file from Openelec, unzip it, click the file to install to USB stick and select the usb stick on your PC. Once that is done you just stick the USB stick in the NUC and boot, select install and wait a couple of minutes and it is now installed to your SSD (if you don't have a SSD you will need another USB stick for it to install to).. After that you just need to select your sources where your music, videos,movies etc are.

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, and a Yamaha P7000s.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-23-2013, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post

What, if any, media players/streaming boxes will show the movie poster for my movies when searching for them on my NAS? .

LaCie Lacinema Mini HD shows the poster if the .jpg has the same name (minus extension) as the movie file. Even works for folders.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-23-2013, 03:10 PM

Liked: 10
Hi, a lot of people complain because of lack of updates, but to this day friends and family have been using tvix players that do exactly what you want. A program called tvixe can make the covers for you. Sometimes a movie file will crash the player and I then just run mkvmerge which takes 2 mins and then use the new file and its fine. For kids and older parents it has been excellent
post #7 of 8 Old 12-24-2013, 02:14 PM

Liked: 12
The Western Digital WDTV Live can retrieve poster art and movie descriptions, automatically.
GusGus748s likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-26-2013, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkboat View Post

The Western Digital WDTV Live can retrieve poster art and movie descriptions, automatically.

That or use ThumbGen to do it for you, but if you have a large collection, it might take a while. I would suggest going to the WD forums, and you'll find more options.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page