chromecast setup - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Gaming & Content Streaming > Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming > chromecast setup

Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

KARENANDRICK's Avatar KARENANDRICK
10:59 AM Liked: 10
post #1 of 13
09-25-2013 | Posts: 18
I've been searching the web to see what others have posted but can't find an answer. I am rather tech savvy, but this has me.
I have the following hookup now

I have an HK receiver with 3 HDMI's...ie..2 in and 1 out. My dvd is in 'in2' and my cable box is in 'in1" The hdmi out goes to my tv (which has 3 hdmi's, but only one being use)

I plugged the chromecast into my tv and only got video. Considering I would like to have my 5.1 DD, I actually would like to plug it in to my HK AVR. My question is where? Can I use a splitter or switcher (since all are now in use), and where would I put that, and what would be going into it, and where would it go out.
I hope this isn't too confusing. I also have the following;

1. When the TV is on w/ Cable box and HK, this is the config.
(HK is set to HDMI 1/OPT1 and the TV is set to HDMI 2 (the only HDMI on the TV being used

2. To play DVD's on HK and TV
HK is set to HDMI 2/ COAX 1
TV is set to HDMI 2

Ok. Let me know if further info is needed.

Also, could I plug usb into HK, or is it better to plug in a//c (I have a great strip in back for surge protection, etc)

Thank you!!
Karen
pdellera's Avatar pdellera
06:13 PM Liked: 10
post #2 of 13
09-25-2013 | Posts: 104
I'm using an HDMI splitter with Chromecast plugged into it just fine. The one I'm using is 4X1 Enhanced HDMI® Switch w/ Built-In Equalizer & Remote, but I don't think there's anything special about it. I suppose most if not all will do.

As for the HK USB port, it probably works as long as it provides enough power, Try and see, it'll be obvious if it's a no-go. Otherwise, the provided adapter would be needed. Another option is to utilize a powered USB hub; I happen to have one already in my multi-media cabinet and so opted to use that instead of another wall wart.
02:43 PM Liked: 10
post #3 of 13
09-26-2013 | Posts: 18
thank you. Where would I plug in? Would the splitter go into the AVR's HDMI in1 with the dvd, or the HDMI in2 with the cable box? OR....does it get plugged into the HDMI out?? thanks...I am looking at that splitter you mentioned
05:39 PM Liked: 10
post #4 of 13
09-26-2013 | Posts: 104
The HDMI splitter has multiple "ins" and one "out". You would unplug one of your current "ins" (DVD player or cable box) from the receiver and plug it into an input of the splitter. The Chromecast dongle would plug into another input of the splitter. Then plug a cable from the output of the splitter into the input of the receiver which formerly connected to your previous in.

Here's a crude sketch demonstrating using your DVD player as an example:
Code:

In          Out                In          Out
                      +-----------+                  +-----------+
[DVD player]----------|           |                  |           |
                      |HDMI switch|------------------|           |------[TV]
[Chromecast]----------|           |                  |AV Receiver|
                      +-----------+                  |           |
[Cable Box]------------------------------------------|           |
                                                     +-----------+

09:32 PM Liked: 10
post #5 of 13
09-26-2013 | Posts: 18
wow. perfect! thank you!
12:43 PM Liked: 10
post #6 of 13
10-26-2013 | Posts: 18
I know it took awhile, but I was busy and waited til I could devote enough time. Here's the thing. It's set up as you describe, but now I cannot set up chromecast. It won't go to the set up screen. What am I doing wrong?
thanks
07:53 AM Liked: 10
post #7 of 13
10-28-2013 | Posts: 18
Thank you. I set this up perfectly and my tv and dvd work fine. Yet I cannot set up the chromecast..It is found on my network, but no setup screen. I also tried setting inputs etc through the AVR, since the chromecast is going through that. NG. I must be doing something wrong, or I've wasted now more than the $35 for the chromecast. Afterwards, as well, my network on all my tech was messed up and I had to disconnect the chromecast and restart my modem and router. So at this point, no chromecast connected. I'd just as soon plug in my laptop to the AVR and play stuff that way.
I appreciate the help. But no one else seems to have this issue and everyone keeps saying how easy it is. My o nly other thought is my AVR is too old (10years +) to work this way properly

Karen
jamnperry's Avatar jamnperry
08:36 AM Liked: 15
post #8 of 13
10-28-2013 | Posts: 180
You have to set it up through the wifi device you use to control it. On the wifi device you have to find the chromecast wifi that it broadcasts and log into that. Then you specify on the chromecast your home network wifi to join and enter any passwords.
It sounds like you are assuming it's connected to your wifi but either it isn't or what your using to set it up isn't connected.
08:13 AM Liked: 10
post #9 of 13
10-29-2013 | Posts: 18
you mean the router? When I hooked up the chromecast originally directly to the tv, I had no problem...it showed up on my network. I entered the log in info and I saw the setup screen. When I switched to plugging it in to my avr with the hdmi switcher, nothing on the screen, yet the network showed up on my phone. But no set up screen, and apparently, my network got lost and 'chromecast' was showing up on my devices AS the network. Which is why I disconnected it and deleted it from all devices, and had to reset my actual network.
So....I did do it correctly, but now I'm not sure. Does it have something to do with renaming the device? I'm afraid to do it again and have the same thing happen. It wastes too much time.
Thank you.
06:44 PM Liked: 10
post #10 of 13
10-29-2013 | Posts: 104
You make some alarming statements!
Quote:
I disconnected it and deleted it from all devices, and had to reset my actual network.

Yikes. Not sure exactly what that indicates you have done, but yikes.

If the device worked plugged into your TV, it should work plugged into AVR via the HDMI switch. So you shouldn't expect to see a configuration screen. It has already been configured as a DHCP client on your system and it doesn't care where its HDMI output goes. That is assuming that your Chromecast device can see your WIFI from where it has been relocated.

Have you tried plugging the device back into your TV where it last worked ok? If that no longer works, then you'll need to rerun the configuration software.

If the device works directly connected to the TV, then this statement
Quote:
When I switched to plugging it in to my avr with the hdmi switcher, nothing on the screen
is the next point to investigate.

First the really obvious question: Have you made sure that the HDMI switch is switched to the port that the Chromecast device is plugged into? Kinda sounds like it may not. Try switching to every port while the device is plugged in and see if the Chromecast display isn't found. The HDMI switch probably has buttons on it to discretely select input ports or a button to rotate through the ports. You might even have a remote with the HDMI switch to do this.

If that fails, try pluggijng the device into another port or swapping the ports that your DVD player and Chromecast device use. Can you still find the DVD player but not the Chromecast device? If you have a bad port, you should be able to exchange the HDMI switch for a new one.

Good luck!
09:56 AM Liked: 10
post #11 of 13
10-31-2013 | Posts: 18
I did all of the above. Switched ports, etc...port worked for dvd, but not chromecast
06:12 PM Liked: 10
post #12 of 13
10-31-2013 | Posts: 104
Does the Chromecast device work still when plugged into the TV as before?
benogil's Avatar benogil
01:54 PM Liked: 10
post #13 of 13
11-02-2013 | Posts: 77
CC sometimes works through an HDMI switch, and sometimes not - http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-chromecast/300584-chromecast-compatible-hdmi-switch.html
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Subscribe to this Thread