NAS Streaming....Transcode Question? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 43 Old 09-30-2013, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking at getting a NAS to backup my pc,laptop,etc. I also will be using it to store my home videos,music,pictures,blurays and to view my ip security camera.
I could go ahead and convert my media to formats that my equipment would be able to handle,but I want to see if I absolutely need to do that first.

Music files are mp3,wav,etc.
Videos are mp4,flv,etc
Blurays are mkv.

I was waiting on the 214+ from Synology to hit the market,but who knows when that will be and for what price. The CE5300 series of Nas boxes are suppose to be able to handle transcode on the fly. Has anyone gotten a CE5300 box and it actually transcode? I think Thecus and a few more already have them out. Qnap would be another option,but I haven't heard anything about them doing a CE5300 box.

I plan on using my android phone,android tablet,win 8 and myabe the macbook and ipad to view the videos,etc. The majority of the time,it will just be played on the 1080p LCD tv.

I have a WDTV LIve Plus that I can use ( I have been told it will transcode?) or I have a htpc that it's main purpose is to run OpenElec (XBMC). The HTPC has a Nvidia GT610,
Intel Atom D2250 and 4gb DDR3 KIngston ram.

I have taken some mkv files and put them onto a flash drive and plugged it into the htpc and it played fine as did the DTS-MA audio. The logo on my AVR lit up blue to let me know that it was receiving the audio. Does this mean that it would be able to transcode? If so,would I really need a higher price transcoding NAS?

So,what do you think guys/gals? I plan on either getting a lower priced NAS or wait on the 214+ if that's what I need to do. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 10-01-2013, 03:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
The CE5300 series support real time transcode in hardware but I havent heard of any NAS enabling the option yet.

Asustor AS2 and AS3 series are also CE5300 based and already available, Asustor are former Synology people.

Your PC & Macbook does not need transcode.
Your WDTV Live does not need transcode.
For Android tablet and iPad use VLC to play media, they could benefit from transcode where the media is too much for the tablet like bluray in mkv.
post #3 of 43 Old 10-01-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 160
First, I think this an excellent idea for a thread in general and it would be great if it could manifest itself as a sticky, imo.

Why? Because in my opinion this is TRULY the downside of a NAS (ok, most anyway, currently) and I KINDA wish I would have paid more attention to the transcoding angle when I decided on my Synology, months back. Unfortunately, I think there are MANY others very much like myself: a bit too green to even consider it, or at least too uninformed to give it the serious consideration it deserves. I suppose the better way of putting it is: the ability to transcode is/can be a major factor when determining what route you take to serving up your media.

It's starting to occur to me (more and more)- that both locally and remotely- accessing content via WIFI is going to be the thing, more and more.

Now, while I know this is an imperfect art on the network/i-net side (although constantly improving), it STILL would be nice to have the horsepower to get it done, on the CPU side.

For me, my main concern was (and still is) being able to run 2-3 media players throughout my house via CAT 6 and I think my chosen solution for that will be ok.

But again, I would strongly advise those looking to spend a good amount of coin to take a long, sober, look at how (and where) they want to access their media.

Good luck Scooby and others.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #4 of 43 Old 10-01-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Transcoding is CPU intensive. You you will need a pretty fast CPU.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 43 Old 10-01-2013, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

So is this transcoding ability a sure fire thing or is it a marketing gimmick to sell their products? Especially if no NAS company is enabling it......YET?
Quote:
Asustor AS2 and AS3 series are also CE5300 based and already available, Asustor are former Synology people

For the price,they don't look to bad. Since they are ex Synology guys,their products should be pretty good quality.
post #6 of 43 Old 10-02-2013, 01:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby06 View Post

So is this transcoding ability a sure fire thing or is it a marketing gimmick to sell their products? Especially if no NAS company is enabling it......YET?
For the price,they don't look to bad. Since they are ex Synology guys,their products should be pretty good quality.

The only reason we know the feature is their is because Intel blabbed about it in it's PR spam to tech websites back when it announced the chip. The marketing materials so far on Thecus and Asustor CE5300 NAS make no mention of the hardware transcoder, most of these NAS regardless of make do transcode audio and images just not video which is what they cant handle via CPU. The only way your going to get real time video transcoding for sure is by using a PC with a fast CPU as your media server.

You really do not need real time video transcoding as most of your devices will play all the media natively, the only things that would struggle are tablets with blu-ray video but they should be fine with anything else like avi/mp4 etc.

You could try asking on the Asustor or Thecus presales forum if they have any plans on adding support for the CE5300 video transcoding to their UPnP/DLNA server, keep in mind transcoding only works via UPnP/DLNA it wont work anywhere else with the exception of any companion Asustor mobile apps.

Synology typically wont tell you a god-damn thing but you could try asking on their presales forum as well.
post #7 of 43 Old 10-02-2013, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter

So am I right to say that I should just get the NAS that makes sense to me to get and let my htpc do all the work if needed?
post #8 of 43 Old 10-02-2013, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So am I right to say that I should just get the NAS that makes sense to me to get and let my htpc do all the work if needed?

Yes, the PC and WDTV Live do not need transcoding.

Only game consoles and old smart TV/BD players are the devices that really need transcoding due to their lousy media players. Most newer gen smart TV/BD devices now have players that handle most common stuff.
post #9 of 43 Old 10-02-2013, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Location: CHI, CLD, PAR, PHX, PDX, NKC, AUK, MEL, SYD, BUE, SCL
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm interested in a NAS that can stream transcoded Blu-Ray ISO for iOS devices. Can this?

Former Top 1000 Amazon reviewer bemoaning the loss of objective user reviews. Amazon, stop your complacency!
post #10 of 43 Old 10-02-2013, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 View Post

The only reason we know the feature is their is because Intel blabbed about it in it's PR spam to tech websites back when it announced the chip. The marketing materials so far on Thecus and Asustor CE5300 NAS make no mention of the hardware transcoder, most of these NAS regardless of make do transcode audio and images just not video which is what they cant handle via CPU. The only way your going to get real time video transcoding for sure is by using a PC with a fast CPU as your media server.

You really do not need real time video transcoding as most of your devices will play all the media natively, the only things that would struggle are tablets with blu-ray video but they should be fine with anything else like avi/mp4 etc.

You could try asking on the Asustor or Thecus presales forum if they have any plans on adding support for the CE5300 video transcoding to their UPnP/DLNA server, keep in mind transcoding only works via UPnP/DLNA it wont work anywhere else with the exception of any companion Asustor mobile apps.

Synology typically wont tell you a god-damn thing but you could try asking on their presales forum as well.

Yeah, I knocked on Synology's door yesterday and they told me right where to go.

By the way, on a limited try this AM I tried full 1080P mkvs on my apple ipad via Synology's Video app and it DAMN near pulls it off...just cant avoid some buffering/stuttering here and there.

So then, I'd bet the niext gen of NAS' should carry the water with relative ease, then.

Sucks for my wallet. frown.gif

James

post #11 of 43 Old 10-02-2013, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSalita View Post

I'm interested in a NAS that can stream transcoded Blu-Ray ISO for iOS devices. Can this?

I'm certainly not an authority on the matter, but it just seems like they (NAS') are not up to the task anywhere under big bucks right now (read $2k).

This (to me anyway) seems to be one of the main reasons guys go with HTPC's...processing power.

James

post #12 of 43 Old 10-02-2013, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

I'm certainly not an authority on the matter, but it just seems like they (NAS') are not up to the task anywhere under big bucks right now (read $2k).
Yup, and that's the exact reason the OP asked about the Synology DS214+.

The DS214+, along with the other new generation NAS units mentioned above, use a new low cost Intel dual-core CPU (Atom CE5315) with a dedicated video encoder integrated within the CPU itself (Intel calls this Quick Sync) and it can do all the transcoding in real time and with very little CPU utilization so an expensive high-powered CPU in a $2K computer is not required.

smile.gif
post #13 of 43 Old 10-02-2013, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

^ Beautiful. I realize we're always behind the ever-expanding curve, but it figures that my 412+ purchase was just months off the mark. frown.gif

James

post #14 of 43 Old 10-02-2013, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow- hilariously so IMO- it doesn't appear Synology is going to offer anything over a TWO bay NAS that will be up to transcoding?

The 414 looks like it has less processing power than the 412+

Surely this won't be the case?

James

post #15 of 43 Old 10-02-2013, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

At times I wonder who actually works for Synology. I emailed them about a possible release/price for the 214+ and I got a reply that they had no info on such a model being released.confused.gif This was weeks after it was all over the net.rolleyes.gif Doesn't really inspire confidence in me on their products.

Anyways, I may look into the 213+,412+ or a few other models. I see some are dual core and some are single,should I consider that? The DS213 has a single core 2ghz and the 213+ has dual 1.067 ghz. for example.
I would like to have more memory,but not sure what sort of difference that would make.
post #16 of 43 Old 10-03-2013, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

^ well, get on this one...

So after having issues getting PLEX running, I decided to give Synology's version "DS VIDEO" a shot.

After indexing my movies I got it up pretty easy...menus/title screens are not spectacular but very serviceable. I was even getting pretty decent non-stuttering video on my iphone and pad off full 1080 rips! But after not getting audio on about 90% of my titles, I did a quick google.

What did I find? Synology- as of the last f-ware update- NO LONGER SUPPORTS DTS!!!

Lmao. Oh, ok. People are of course rightfully livid...especially with no announcement that a very-difficult-to-negate f-ware update had the change.

They have installed some kind of work around where the app will "call" VLC player (if you have it installed) when a DTS file is presented but it NEVER worked for me in my 20 or so attempts.

I have no clue how they think this is going to fly with their new "super-transcoding" units ready to launch.

And the hits just keep on comin...

James

post #17 of 43 Old 10-03-2013, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At times I wonder who actually works for Synology. I emailed them about a possible release/price for the 214+ and I got a reply that they had no info on such a model being released.confused.gif This was weeks after it was all over the net.rolleyes.gif Doesn't really inspire confidence in me on their products.

Anyways, I may look into the 213+,412+ or a few other models. I see some are dual core and some are single,should I consider that? The DS213 has a single core 2ghz and the 213+ has dual 1.067 ghz. for example.
I would like to have more memory,but not sure what sort of difference that would make.

I would like to recommend the 412+ but first I'd like to ensure you can actually play DTS files one way or another...unless you're handbraking everything and dealing with core codecs (but I'm not even sure core DTS will play at this point) and smaller, compressed, files.

I must say that I was shocked to see the video going as well as it did, but I simply do not have enough experience at this point to give it a green light...that is IF one plans to use the unit in this manner. Really, it seems the wise move would be to wait for the intro of these new units...perhaps THEY will have the DTS licensing. rolleyes.gifmad.gif required for people who actually want to use the unit for what is was designed for.

Otherwise, it has been great for me.

James

post #18 of 43 Old 10-03-2013, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Location: CHI, CLD, PAR, PHX, PDX, NKC, AUK, MEL, SYD, BUE, SCL
Liked: 12
NAS, transcoding media player, all formats supported. Even in 2013, appears that only an HTPC will do it.

Former Top 1000 Amazon reviewer bemoaning the loss of objective user reviews. Amazon, stop your complacency!
post #19 of 43 Old 10-03-2013, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I would like to recommend the 412+ but first I'd like to ensure you can actually play DTS files one way or another...unless you're handbraking everything and dealing with core codecs (but I'm not even sure core DTS will play at this point) and smaller, compressed, files.

I must say that I was shocked to see the video going as well as it did, but I simply do not have enough experience at this point to give it a green light...that is IF one plans to use the unit in this manner. Really, it seems the wise move would be to wait for the intro of these new units...perhaps THEY will have the DTS licensing. rolleyes.gifmad.gif required for people who actually want to use the unit for what is was designed for.

Otherwise, it has been great for me.

James

Ouch! No DTS. That would certainly be a problem. I may wait
a little longer to see what happens,since Im really on no hurry to buy.
post #20 of 43 Old 10-03-2013, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSalita View Post

NAS, transcoding media player, all formats supported. Even in 2013, appears that only an HTPC will do it.

Bit of a joke isn't it? Again, for me, I just wanted to be able to house all my movies and kick them out to two-three locales via CAT 6 so it's really not a big deal to me...yet.

I figured I'd have this for a few years and upgrade when the tech got up to speed, but, depending upon who you want to believe, it sounds like this next gen of NAS' will be able to x-code to multiple clients without breaking a sweat.

I think we'll all believe it when we see it. rolleyes.gif

James

post #21 of 43 Old 10-03-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

How about making your own NAS / Server. You have a lot of options such as UnRaid, FlexRaid, FreeNAS, etc.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #22 of 43 Old 10-03-2013, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

How about making your own NAS / Server. You have a lot of options such as UnRaid, FlexRaid, FreeNAS, etc.

I actually did try them,but wasn't really impressed by them. I know people who use them and love them,but just not for me I guess.
post #23 of 43 Old 10-03-2013, 07:33 PM

I just bought an Asustor AS-304T NAS, which has the Intel ATOM CPU that handles the transcoding on the fly.
It's not in my hands yet, so I can't yet verify the performance.

Here's a nice review of it: http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/asustor_as_304t,1.html

Wish me luck. rolleyes.gif

Online Demo Kicks Butt: http://www.asustor.com/live_demo

John

post #24 of 43 Old 10-03-2013, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilleyj View Post

I just bought an Asustor AS-304T, which has the Intel ATOM CPU that handles the transcoding on the fly.
It's not in my hands yet, so I can't yet verify the performance.

Here's a nice review of it: http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/asustor_as_304t,1.html

Wish me luck. rolleyes.gif

Best of luck. When my unraid server had a dual core amd CPU, it could handle one transcoding stream. Two it would stutter / lag like crazy. Now I can transcode to my 3 iPads without any lag, with a i5 3570k CPU.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #25 of 43 Old 10-04-2013, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

^ yes, but supposedly these new CPU's are not playing games, either. I've read from seemingly reliable outlets that they are built for transcoding and can handle multiple 1080 streams.

I'm anxious to see what twilleyj gets, good luck.

James

post #26 of 43 Old 10-04-2013, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

^ yes, but supposedly these new CPU's are not playing games, either. I've read from seemingly reliable outlets that they are built for transcoding and can handle multiple 1080 streams.

I'm anxious to see what twilleyj gets, good luck.
I am also interested to see the transcoding performance reports.

I'm also mildly suspicious that the transcoding has not yet been enabled in software given the lack of marketing of this feature. In addition, Plex would be a natural fit for hardware encoding on a NAS but Plex currently uses FFmpeg for encoding so they are at the mercy of FFmpeg to enable Intel hardware encoding.

FWIW, the "Quick Sync" encoding hardware is also present in most current i3/i5/i7 CPUs with internal video and I was playing around with it this morning on my 2012 15" MacBook Pro Retina using Airplay streaming to an AppleTV as it uses the Intel hardware for encoding. While transcoding a 1080p video the CPU usage on the laptop remained below 2% and the quality was certainly acceptable for something being transcoded in real time.

It is all coming soon as the hardware is in place but I'm just not sure how long until we see the actual performance on these NAS units.
post #27 of 43 Old 10-04-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't be too optimistic with that NAS being able to transcode multiple stream with an Atom CPU. Specially with high bitrate movies. I believe the movie that it was tested with the Asustor AS-304T was only 16 Mbit bitrate. They didn't test higher bitrate movies, which in my opinion with high bitrate movies, it might be an issue with multiple streams.

My Dual Core AMD CPU is faster than am Atom CPU, and it was able to do one stream. I just don't see how an Atom CPU can do multiple stream of high bitrate BD movies. Unless you transcode the movie to a lower bitrate and size.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #28 of 43 Old 10-04-2013, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just don't see how an Atom CPU can do multiple stream of high bitrate BD movies. Unless you transcode the movie to a lower bitrate and size.
It all depends.

The key is it's not the actual CPU cores doing the transcoding---it's the dedicated embedded hardware that does the decoding and encoding (i.e. transcoding) with separate units. The "CPU" is just sitting there managing system tasks so the hardware transcoding ability does not scale with the CPU.

The Atom CE5315 has the claimed ability to decode 2+ HD streams simultaneously and encode 1.5 HD streams.

In the end I think you correct: anybody looking to transcode multiple 1080p streams is probably gonna require something other than a low-cost NAS but for those of us without that requirement this could be perfect for serving video to a second location in the home that does not have a sophisticated media player.
post #29 of 43 Old 10-04-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post

It all depends.

The key is it's not the actual CPU cores doing the transcoding---it's the dedicated embedded hardware that does the decoding and encoding (i.e. transcoding) with separate units. The "CPU" is just sitting there managing system tasks so the hardware transcoding ability does not scale with the CPU.

The Atom CE5315 has the claimed ability to decode 2+ HD streams simultaneously and encode 1.5 HD streams.

In the end I think you correct: anybody looking to transcode multiple 1080p streams is probably gonna require something other than a low-cost NAS but for those of us without that requirement this could be perfect for serving video to a second location in the home that does not have a sophisticated media player.

I still don't understand how that is possible when transcoding is CPU intensive. I would like to see what section of the NAS hardware is doing the transcoding for the CPU? I think in the end this NAS will be more promises than anything else. Like I said, if you only need to transcode one stream, it will work fine. Good luck trying to transcode more than one stream.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #30 of 43 Old 10-04-2013, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I still don't understand how that is possible when transcoding is CPU intensive. I would like to see what section of the NAS hardware is doing the transcoding for the CPU?.
FWIW, here's a diagram of the architecture of the Atom CE5315 CPU.

Note that it includes lots of components other than the "cores" that one often associates with a traditional CPU--including dedicated hardware for decoding, processing, and encoding video (i.e. transcoding). It's all done on the CPU but without using the normal CPU cores so a "super fast" CPU is not required to transcode video because all the work is being done by specialized hardware.

It's an evolution of the "hardware acceleration" of HD video decoding that nearly all GPUs now support only Intel has also added video encoding to the chip which enables the ability to transcode video with a CPU that would not otherwise have to power to do so.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page