WD RED for Synology 1812+ - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 10-02-2013, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is anybody using WD red 4tb with Synology 1812+. WDC says it is meant for 1 to 5 bay only. I am also considering Seagate ST400dm000. I wonder if it is worth to pay $40 more to get wd RED for one more year warranty and suitable for 24x7 rated drives.
Appreciate to share your experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-03-2013, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I am using a Synology DS209 for constant and heavy 24x7 usage (surveillance video recording + bit torrent server + backup target + home media server) since the Fall of 2009.

In the beginning I used dual Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB drives, but after two crashes/failures within 30 months (maybe doesn't sound much but makes me very nervous), I decided to go for 2 WD Red 3TB-drives. Used them for a year so far, no problems at all.

OK, no statistical evidence, but anyways...

Combo living-room/home theater in old wooden house in Sweden. Pics:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proj.: JVC DLA-X35 - Screen Elite PowerMax Tension 106" - TV: 65" Samsung UE65ES8005 - 7.1 Speakers: B&W 685 S2, HTM61 S2, Cambridge Audio Minx Min11, Sub: SVS SB-2000 - AVR: Denon AVR-X4000 - Player: Mede8er MED600X3D - NAS: Synology DS209 - Gaming: PS4
post #3 of 23 Old 10-06-2013, 03:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumar View Post

Is anybody using WD red 4tb with Synology 1812+. WDC says it is meant for 1 to 5 bay only. I am also considering Seagate ST400dm000. I wonder if it is worth to pay $40 more to get wd RED for one more year warranty and suitable for 24x7 rated drives.
Appreciate to share your experience.

In the same boat. Synology has the 4tb red drive as being compatible while WD website say only for 1--5 nas. I had 8 green wd 3tb and now have replaced 2 of the drive with 4tb red so far so good but its only 2 drives. Dont really want to pay the extra +50 buck for a SE drive. Im asking the same question on the synology forum.
post #4 of 23 Old 10-06-2013, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 View Post

In the same boat. Synology has the 4tb red drive as being compatible while WD website say only for 1--5 nas. I had 8 green wd 3tb and now have replaced 2 of the drive with 4tb red so far so good but its only 2 drives. Dont really want to pay the extra +50 buck for a SE drive. Im asking the same question on the synology forum.

I called yesterday Western digital and that support person said WD RED is supported for 1812+. I am trying to setup and had problem. They said I can call WD support in the morning to get help on WD with Synology. I will call some time and keep you posted.
post #5 of 23 Old 10-06-2013, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks How many of the drives(4tb) do you have? What problems did you have? I am using the SHR 2 disk fault tolerance.
post #6 of 23 Old 10-06-2013, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks How many of the drives(4tb) do you have? What problems did you have? I am using the SHR 2 disk fault tolerance.

I bought 3 WD drives with 4tb each. I wan to go for RAID 5 until I buy expansion unit. I was told buy Synology support person that if I use SHR, I can't go to SHR2 or RAID6. So, he recommended to choose RAID 5 and they allow to go to RAID6. He said if I buy all of the drives of same size, it should not matter to choose SHR or RAID 5.

I got problem with power button blinking and then after reboots it is lighted blue. However it does not even show light on on 1 & 3 hard drive bays. Also, it complained #2 is corrupt. I posted the following.
http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=74936
post #7 of 23 Old 10-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Saw your thread I have used my Dune base 3.0 to format/wipe drives before.
post #8 of 23 Old 10-06-2013, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Saw your thread I have used my Dune base 3.0 to format/wipe drives before.
Good to know. I am assuming that we can connect wd drive to Dune using esata cable.
post #9 of 23 Old 10-07-2013, 01:19 AM
Advanced Member

I put mine inside the dune and format (Dune base 3.0 not the dune 3d version) Which dune do you have?
post #10 of 23 Old 10-07-2013, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I put mine inside the dune and format (Dune base 3.0 not the dune 3d version) Which dune do you have?
I have Dune H1. I never tried any internal drive. I am not sure if 4tb red works. Will try.
post #11 of 23 Old 10-07-2013, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have Dune H1. I never tried any internal drive. I am not sure if 4tb red works. Will try.
Come to think of it the drives that I formatted were 2tb drives not 4tb drives. Not sure how that will work.
post #12 of 23 Old 10-13-2013, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Did you get it worked out yet?
post #13 of 23 Old 10-17-2013, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you get it worked out yet?

Unfortunately no. I returned 4 of them. Three of them are not recognized by Synology and one got some failure with reallocation. I am waiting to receive replacement today from newegg. I am starting with RAID5. I need 3 of them to create volume. It is frustrating to wait for so long and return stuff that do not work. To just get 3, I returned 3 so far. I am surprised on so many defective. As soon as I insert disk, NAS makes noise to read them. After few minutes, I don't see light and it is not listed in DSM.

I am hoping to start using NAS this week.
post #14 of 23 Old 10-17-2013, 08:08 PM

Liked: 10
I'm using WD Red 4tb drives in a 1812+ enclosure. I started with two drives from Newegg in JBOD format. It took a while for the system to verify the drives integrity but all worked fine. Since then, while the NAS was up and running, I added, one at a time, three more WD Red 4tb drives. Each time it functioned perfectly! I will be adding one more 4tb next week and then fill out the bays with two older 2tb Green drives. The 4tb drives are all in the same volume and the 2tbs will each be separate volumes. The 1812+ is a fine piece of equipment. I'm using this system to back up a large media server and don't need to use Raid.
post #15 of 23 Old 10-18-2013, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTweety View Post

I'm using WD Red 4tb drives in a 1812+ enclosure. I started with two drives from Newegg in JBOD format. It took a while for the system to verify the drives integrity but all worked fine. Since then, while the NAS was up and running, I added, one at a time, three more WD Red 4tb drives. Each time it functioned perfectly! I will be adding one more 4tb next week and then fill out the bays with two older 2tb Green drives. The 4tb drives are all in the same volume and the 2tbs will each be separate volumes. The 1812+ is a fine piece of equipment. I'm using this system to back up a large media server and don't need to use Raid.

Thanks for sharing. May be I had bad luck to get these. I ordered 3, 4tb red drives and two of them are not recognized by 1812+. I returned two of them and again one of them out of these two is not recognized. Then I received good one and started creating volume, then I got disk crashed message with the drive that I bought first time (out of 3).

I got them from newegg. It is also frustrating to make adjustment for price. I ordered new one while sending RMA one since I can't wait for two weeks for reimbursement. So, newegg tried to reimburse without promotion. I have to call couple times to get promotion discount. My account is messed up with all returns/orders.

I bought many western digital external drives so far and I never had so many problems. Only one time, I returned to them refurbished.

I called Westernd digital support. Unfortunately, they can't do anything. The hard drive works or not works. I told them to provide RMA. He told me that they dont' have in stock and need to wait for 1 to 2 weeks. I hope they keep some in stock. Otherwise, it does not make sense to me to shut down NAS for two weeks to wait for receiving. Red drives are supposed to have premium support.

Now I am able to successfully create volume. It also did for whole night data scrubbing (parity check) and did not complain.

Smart quick test is successful. Is it recommneded to do smart long test? I started doing on one of the drive. It says it takes 250 miinutes.
post #16 of 23 Old 10-18-2013, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

So far I've replaced 4 of the 8 drives with 4tb WD red drives and no problems thus far(knock on wood) All of my drives have come from newegg(shipped from NJ) Wonder if you got part of a bad batch or if its rough handling by the courier?
post #17 of 23 Old 10-18-2013, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So far I've replaced 4 of the 8 drives with 4tb WD red drives and no problems thus far(knock on wood) All of my drives have come from newegg(shipped from NJ) Wonder if you got part of a bad batch or if its rough handling by the courier?
They inserted each one with bubble wrap sleeve. Not sure courier is the problem.

I have a question on 4tb red drives. Did anybody run extended smart test on these drives. Appreciate to share how long it takes. I started running at 8am and it has shown takes around 300 minutes. I saw at 2 o clock at 90%. Then, I started another one simultaneously. Both are still running. Now it is 5pm. The one I started in the morning is still at 90%, and the other one is at 30%.

Does it take so long?
post #18 of 23 Old 10-19-2013, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

They inserted each one with bubble wrap sleeve. Not sure courier is the problem.

I have a question on 4tb red drives. Did anybody run extended smart test on these drives. Appreciate to share how long it takes. I started running at 8am and it has shown takes around 300 minutes. I saw at 2 o clock at 90%. Then, I started another one simultaneously. Both are still running. Now it is 5pm. The one I started in the morning is still at 90%, and the other one is at 30%.

Does it take so long?

Started a full smart test on one disk at 9:24am its now 12:14 and is says 40% done.
post #19 of 23 Old 10-19-2013, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Started a full smart test on one disk at 9:24am its now 12:14 and is says 40% done.
Thanks for the info. I noticed it to take longer from 90% to normal
post #20 of 23 Old 10-19-2013, 10:51 PM

Liked: 10
On Friday I added the sixth WD Red 4tb drive to my JBOD volume in my Synology 1812+. It also loaded quickly with no issues. At the same time I installed two older WD Green 2tb drives and set them up as Raid 1. It took about 24 hours for the 1812+ to verify the drives for the Raid 1 volume. The entire system is working fine now.
post #21 of 23 Old 10-20-2013, 01:23 AM
Advanced Member

Don't know how long it took all together for the smart test. It only shows me when it started. I started it at 9:23 am and last I checked at around 7pm it was at 90%
post #22 of 23 Old 10-20-2013, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't know how long it took all together for the smart test. It only shows me when it started. I started it at 9:23 am and last I checked at around 7pm it was at 90%

Glad to confirm that it took more than 12 hours to do extended test for you too. When I called Synology support, he said it should take only 5 hours and asked me to reboot. Instead, I waited for few more hours and verified status changing to "normal" from "90%". It really did not stuck at 90%, but took more time. With all recent defective drive experience, I was little more worried.

I only run extended test one disk at a time. CPU did not even exceed 7%. I intend to schedule extended test once a month since I have RAID 5. Not sure if it is ok to run on 4 drives at the same time.
post #23 of 23 Old 10-20-2013, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

I did a quick test on each drive. Ok so far at this point i got no errors so im not going to worry about it. SHR2 is working good for me. Just think when 5-6tb hard drives come out eventually we will have to do this all over again lol
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page