Dune HD TV-303D Vs. Mede8er 600X3D - MKV + 3D ISO Playback? - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Gaming & Content Streaming > Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming > Dune HD TV-303D Vs. Mede8er 600X3D - MKV + 3D ISO Playback?

Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

ZzBloopzZ's Avatar ZzBloopzZ
10:33 AM Liked: 37
post #1 of 9
10-02-2013 | Posts: 149
Hello,

I am in the market for for a new media streamer. It is time to upgrade my trusty old WDTV Live. It was amazing for the price, but PQ is starting to suffer and other random glitches as of late. Plus I need 3D support! I would rather not spend over $225, unless it is well worth it. I originally wanted to build an HTPC with XBMC but there is no 3D support as of yet.

My Usage:

85% - x264 MKV's - 1080P High Bitrate
15% - 3D Bluray ISO's

All will be streamed via gigabit ethernet to my 30TB ZFS server. Also, I have a Roku 3 which I am happy with for my online streaming needs.

I am debating between the Dune HD TV-303D and the Mede8er 600X3D. What would you guys recommend?

I am leaning towards the Mede8er as their firmware updates are frequent and fast and support forums are very active. However, I always heard Dune's are amazing in general.

Appreciate any feedback!
GusGus748s's Avatar GusGus748s
11:41 AM Liked: 601
post #2 of 9
10-02-2013 | Posts: 6,431
If you must have 3D support, and even though I am a Dune owner, I would recommend the Mede8er. At the moment the Mede8er is the best 3D media player. However, I am not sure about forced sub support.
L33TX43RT's Avatar L33TX43RT
12:01 PM Liked: 18
post #3 of 9
10-02-2013 | Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzBloopzZ View Post

Hello,

I am in the market for for a new media streamer. It is time to upgrade my trusty old WDTV Live. It was amazing for the price, but PQ is starting to suffer and other random glitches as of late. Plus I need 3D support! I would rather not spend over $225, unless it is well worth it. I originally wanted to build an HTPC with XBMC but there is no 3D support as of yet.

My Usage:

85% - x264 MKV's - 1080P High Bitrate
15% - 3D Bluray ISO's

All will be streamed via gigabit ethernet to my 30TB ZFS server. Also, I have a Roku 3 which I am happy with for my online streaming needs.

I am debating between the Dune HD TV-303D and the Mede8er 600X3D. What would you guys recommend?

I am leaning towards the Mede8er as their firmware updates are frequent and fast and support forums are very active. However, I always heard Dune's are amazing in general.

Appreciate any feedback!

The latest XBMC 13 "Gotham" build supports Stereoscopic 3D video. You may want to test it out on an available PC to a widescreen.
XBMC 13 "Gotham" August Build

However, if you decide to go the standalone player route, I recommend the MEDE8ER 1000X3D or 600X3D.
dbone1026's Avatar dbone1026
12:16 PM Liked: 71
post #4 of 9
10-02-2013 | Posts: 11,332
Can you confirm your audio requirements (i.e. will you be bitstreaming HD Audio, are you looking for the player to decode/downmix)? The reason I bring up, if you have an mkv with TrueHD audio the TV303D cannot downmix so you will get no audio. If you bitstream or don't have any TrueHD mkvs then it is a non issue.

If you have forced subs in your mkvs you can get the TV303D to respect the forced sub flag with a patch (I don't believe this has been resolved with the Mede8er)

As far as jukeboxes both have TV and movie jukeboxes. For Dune you need to manage the jukebox externally whereas with the Mede8er you can manage the jukebox directly from the player (not a pro or a con, just personal preference)

I will say that Mede8er has done a great job being transparent on what they are working on, in particular on their forum. With the Dunes you honestly have no idea what might be down the pipeline until a new fw gets pushed out.

So which one is better? I would say they both make solid players (I still own both), just sort out exactly what you are looking for and see if one fits better for your situation.
02:00 PM Liked: 37
post #5 of 9
Thanks for the response!

I will be using the media streamer with my Denon 2113CI, connected via HDMI. Thus I do not think I will need the player to decode or downmix?

I will research this new XBMC some more. I guess now it's Mede8er Vs. XBMC assuming 3D support is good on it.
02:06 PM Liked: 71
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzBloopzZ View Post

Thanks for the response!

I will be using the media streamer with my Denon 2113CI, connected via HDMI. Thus I do not think I will need the player to decode or downmix?

I will research this new XBMC some more. I guess now it's Mede8er Vs. XBMC assuming 3D support is good on it.

Assuming your denon supports HD Audio codecs (highly likely it does) there would be no need for your media player to downmix. It only becomes an issue if you end up using the player as a secondary player (i.e. connecting directly to a TV). I have 4+ media players at home. Two of them are connected to AVRs so no issue there but two others are connected direct to TV so downmix is needed.

Is stereoscopic 3d the same as what is used with Blu Ray 3ds (frame packed)? Been a while since I refreshed myself on but I thought they were different
halfelite's Avatar halfelite
02:32 PM Liked: 59
post #7 of 9
10-02-2013 | Posts: 1,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Assuming your denon supports HD Audio codecs (highly likely it does) there would be no need for your media player to downmix. It only becomes an issue if you end up using the player as a secondary player (i.e. connecting directly to a TV). I have 4+ media players at home. Two of them are connected to AVRs so no issue there but two others are connected direct to TV so downmix is needed.

Is stereoscopic 3d the same as what is used with Blu Ray 3ds (frame packed)? Been a while since I refreshed myself on but I thought they were different

no stereoscopic is side by side or top and bottom, not framed packed
02:33 PM Liked: 71
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

no stereoscopic is side by side or top and bottom, not framed packed

That is what I thought, so I don't see XBMC being a solution for playing back Blu Ray 3Ds
03:25 PM Liked: 37
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

That is what I thought, so I don't see XBMC being a solution for playing back Blu Ray 3Ds

I will be ordering the Mede8er 600X3D then! Frame packed looks SO much better than stereoscopic.

Thank you everyone.

Hopefully XBMC will support 3D Bluray down the road, then I can switch to an Intel NUC solution.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Subscribe to this Thread