Netgear R7000 Nighthawk AC1900 Router Review and Comments Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 675 Old 02-21-2014, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate-avfan-da View Post

Thanks! Now if I could log into the router setup without hooking a laptop up to it lol

If you have the IP address of the AP in the same subnet as the router with an address hopefully outside of the DHCP address pool *smile*, you should be able to admin the AP from your main router. Takes a minute to get that right, but it is very handy when it is working. On the other hand, if you're going to have to reset the AP after the upgrade and reconfigure it manually (I would), then you'll want to connect a laptop to it do the upgrade itself. The default IP address of the AP will probably be the same as the main router after the reset, depending on how you've set things up, not great. Unless you don't have your main router IP address at the factory default IP address (or your AP IP there, as well) which can be a smart move with more than one router on your home network, blah blah blah *smile*.

Anyways, I'm sure you'll figure this all out, or you may have been joking *smile*.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 675 Old 02-21-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by treky11 View Post

I went and bought the RT68, i have the nighthawk sitting in a box waiting to return it. I wanted to use / love it, but when i saw my problem immediately i didn't want to wait for a firmware update to fix it. given that i configured the 6300 and the 7000 the same i shouldn have had an issue and so i believe it to be a firmware problem. the rt68 is working great for me, but its only been 2 days.
I looked back through some of the posts but didn't see what problem you're having. Care to elaborate again? I just got my R7000 and would like to see if I have the same trouble or not. Especially if I'm still in the amazon window for returning it...
post #453 of 675 Old 02-21-2014, 01:10 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrvSp View Post

I just found this forum on the Netgear forum. I think I might have a 'unique' problem and I've reported it to Netgear, and they ran me around, replaced the router, and no matter which Flash or Beta I've used, problem remains. I did not have the problem with the prior router (ASUS RT-N56U) that the R7000 replaced and I'm using the SAME USB drive attached to the R7000's USB 2.0 port.

Copied from the Netgear forum in hopes someone here is using the DLNA Media Server to serve up video's and watch on other devices.

==============
I have two specific Media Server problems though.

[*] I copy/move over video files, MP4, WMV, AVI, etc., in individual folders to the USB Drive. Randomly some folders will show duplicated filename, with a different size (usually shorter) and timestamp from the original. Using an Media client on an iPad either one of these files will play the full video. Doesn't matter if there is one file in the folder or more. When there are more than one, only the first file might have the dup filename. If I stop the server, delete .readyDLNA, and then restart the server, the dup's are gone. If I use FTP and look in the folder with the dup's, none show, so the problem is in the DLNA database.
[*] Randomly, a folder and its contents will disappear from the USB drive. I can see it via Windows Explorer after I copy/move it. However, at some point it disappears? I think Windows Explorer since it did the copy/move 'remembers' this, but it is really not showing on the disk when I look with a Media client. Then I re-open Windows Explorer and it reloads and the folder and file(s) are not there. Data Loss is not nice to say the least.

I did report this to Netgear with captured screens from the iPad (Media Client) with proof it is purely (on the dups at least) a Media Server Catalog problem, and hence firmware. If I open .readyDLNA using a SQL viewer I can see the dups listed. That is why when I delete the file and restart the server, the database is rebuilt and it scans all folders for data to include. This function works correctly. It appears what doesn't is when the database is being updated by the f/w as files and folders are added.

Once I lose a folder or file that was copied/moved to the USB drive I sort of suspect the file structure is damaged. I then take the USB drive to the PC and Windows recognizes it has a problem, runs CHKDSK and reports it found FREESPACE as allocated, probably where the missing folder and file(s) are/were. Again, probably a F/W problem. This is because they sent me a V1.0.2.xx beta and it still had the same problems.

So what does Netgear support do, claims they can't reproduce this (could be tough) and tells me my router is probably damaged and issues an RMA. $12 later I get another R7000 with the same S/N on it. OK, give it a try, problem persists. Yesterday new F/W released, gave it a try, problem persists, at least the dup's, have not see lost folders/files, yet.

I did NOT have such problems with my old ASUS RT-N56U and the same USB drive.

I am NOT optimistic this will be fixed soon. Bummer. It is either unique to my system as I use a 3rd party Windows Explorer (Explorer++) or my network card (hard wired to the router). I did use the Windows Explorer as a test once and it did happen with that, so since it works with my old router OK I sort of rule these out as the cause.
=================

I have AGAIN asked by Support for some more info, but it was the same they asked before they 'determined' my router was bad and had to be replaced....

OS version, config file, iPad version and apps, USB drive, etc....

Basically even with the last firmware released yesterday I'm still having the problem.

Anyone else see this?
I might have a similar problem to yours. One of the reasons I bought the R7000 was because of all the features (DLNA), range, speed, and so on... This is my 2nd R7000 and I have the latest firmware flashed to it as well. I use a lot of MKV files to stream to my Samsung F6300. I first bought a Seagate Backup Plus 2TB (not USB powered) that didn't work at all until I realize Netgear has a small section of approved and working external hard drives. I bought a WD My Passport Ultra 2TB Yesterday to hook up to the USB 3.0 in the front (I don't know why they put a port in the front).

When I first plugged it in the R7000 did not even recognize the WD. I updated the firmware and reformatted to NTFS on the WD and still nothing! I reformatted it 3 times before the R7000 finally recognized something was connected to it. My Samsung TV finally pulled up and saw Readyshare on the network. I was able to stream the MKV files pretty smoothly without any hiccups. But for some of the MKV files were missing or there were "duplicates" of the same files that would show up on the Samsung TV. I am still messing with it but it's frustrating to hear that the news from you that they just result to bad routers or there is no fix. Sorry I don't have a solution to this...
post #454 of 675 Old 02-21-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

I looked back through some of the posts but didn't see what problem you're having. Care to elaborate again? I just got my R7000 and would like to see if I have the same trouble or not. Especially if I'm still in the amazon window for returning it...

Post #436
post #455 of 675 Old 02-21-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupted Mind View Post

I might have a similar problem to yours. One of the reasons I bought the R7000 was because of all the features (DLNA), range, speed, and so on... This is my 2nd R7000 and I have the latest firmware flashed to it as well. I use a lot of MKV files to stream to my Samsung F6300. I first bought a Seagate Backup Plus 2TB (not USB powered) that didn't work at all until I realize Netgear has a small section of approved and working external hard drives. I bought a WD My Passport Ultra 2TB Yesterday to hook up to the USB 3.0 in the front (I don't know why they put a port in the front).

When I first plugged it in the R7000 did not even recognize the WD. I updated the firmware and reformatted to NTFS on the WD and still nothing! I reformatted it 3 times before the R7000 finally recognized something was connected to it. My Samsung TV finally pulled up and saw Readyshare on the network. I was able to stream the MKV files pretty smoothly without any hiccups. But for some of the MKV files were missing or there were "duplicates" of the same files that would show up on the Samsung TV. I am still messing with it but it's frustrating to hear that the news from you that they just result to bad routers or there is no fix. Sorry I don't have a solution to this...

Ahh, so it isn't me!

I'm not using READYSHARE though, just the Media Server. I too have a Samsung TV, the F7100 and it has the same 'problem' as the iPad's do, the duplicated files. Any Media DLNA client I've used does, the TV, iPad's, and even the Windows Media Center.

I have an SQLite program (http://sqlitebrowser.sourceforge.net/) that allows me to read the FILE.DB in the .ReadyDLNA folder which is the SQL database and you'll see the dups that way. If you FTP to the folders you will not see them. The server I assume serves up the files from that database. There is a 'fix' for this, delete the .ReadyDLNA folder after turning off the Media Server via the web interface for the USB. After you've deleted the folder restart the Media Server and it will rebuild the database correctly, the dups will be gone. More indication to me the f/w is writing the database incorrectly. Possibly it thinks it has the file completely and then writes the d/b but that wouldn't explain why the 2nd one is the correct full size of the file.

As for the missing files, I've lost WMV and AVI files as well as the MKV ones. If you take your USB drive to a PC and run CHKDSK you'll see the FREESPACE as ALLOCATED error, again, this points to a f/w problem writing to the FS (mine is NTFS).

I didn't know there was a list of approved USB drives? Mine is older, a WD WD1000H1U, but I had no problems with it when using the ASUS? I don't understand why some USB drives will work and some not? I can understand ones that use the Router for power, but not self-powered ones like I have? Hmm, I may test with another USB or two I have here and see if it still happens. Even if it doesn't with another USB, that is still no excuse in my book.

post #456 of 675 Old 02-21-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerSC View Post

Quote:

Post #436
Roger that. I won't be able to test that as I don't make use of the chat features for the Xbox. We've got an Xbox one, and will probably add another one soon. Is the chat feature game specific? Is the problem easily repeatable? And are you using the Xbox via wifi or wired? I ask not to disprove what you've encountered but to see if mine replicates the same nonsense.
post #457 of 675 Old 02-21-2014, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

If you have the IP address of the AP in the same subnet as the router with an address hopefully outside of the DHCP address pool *smile*, you should be able to admin the AP from your main router. Takes a minute to get that right, but it is very handy when you it is working. On the other hand, if you're going to have to reset the AP after the upgrade and reconfigure it manually (I would), then you'll want to connect a laptop to it do the upgrade itself. The default IP address of the AP will probably be the same as the main router after the reset, depending on how you've set things up, not great. Unless you don't have your main router IP address at the factory default IP address (or your AP IP there, as well) which can be a smart move with more than one router on your home network, blah blah blah *smile*.

Anyways, I'm sure you'll figure this all out, or you may have been joking *smile*.

Haha no not joking.... pretty new to doing anything more than just basic set up. I hadnt changed any IP's so it should be whatever defaulted I guess. I will probably just hook it up, sounds simpler haha.

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
post #458 of 675 Old 02-21-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate-avfan-da View Post

Haha no not joking.... pretty new to doing anything more than just basic set up. I hadnt changed any IP's so it should be whatever defaulted I guess. I will probably just hook it up, sounds simpler haha.
Any time you make configuration changes to a network routing device it's usually best to have a hard wired connection straight into it. That and even better to be able to easily isolate it from the rest of the network. Because if you get the configuration wrong then you run the likelihood of disrupting the rest of the network. This isn't as crucial in a home network, but in an office network you can REALLY make a mess of things (and your job) if you get anything wrong.

Simple stuff like accidentally running two DHCP servers is one thing. ESPECIALLY if you don't notice it for a little while. Suddenly machines start getting duplicate IP addresses and then things REALLY get messy. Or you accidentally use the same IP address as the main router and then both of them go offline.

I also find it useful to NOT use the standard 192.168.1.x subnet... EVER. Too much stuff defaults to using that range. If anything accidentally gets reset to defaults then you have problems. But if the network's not on that range then all that malfunctions is that unit. Same deal with calling in from other networks via VPN. If you out on a 192.168.1.x network and you need to call into a 192.168.1.x network... you've got problems.
post #459 of 675 Old 02-21-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

[ didn't know there was a list of approved USB drives? Mine is older, a WD WD1000H1U, but I had no problems with it when using the ASUS? I don't understand why some USB drives will work and some not? I can understand ones that use the Router for power, but not self-powered ones like I have? Hmm, I may test with another USB or two I have here and see if it still happens. Even if it doesn't with another USB, that is still no excuse in my book.

This list?
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18985/related/1
I hope not, because it's pretty ancient. A lot of the drives on it aren't shipping any more. Or is there a more up to date list? I wouldn't mind finding a reasonably priced 2TB drive for it.
post #460 of 675 Old 02-21-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:

Ahh, so it isn't me!

I'm not using READYSHARE though, just the Media Server. I too have a Samsung TV, the F7100 and it has the same 'problem' as the iPad's do, the duplicated files. Any Media DLNA client I've used does, the TV, iPad's, and even the Windows Media Center.

I have an SQLite program (http://sqlitebrowser.sourceforge.net/) that allows me to read the FILE.DB in the .ReadyDLNA folder which is the SQL database and you'll see the dups that way. If you FTP to the folders you will not see them. The server I assume serves up the files from that database. There is a 'fix' for this, delete the .ReadyDLNA folder after turning off the Media Server via the web interface for the USB. After you've deleted the folder restart the Media Server and it will rebuild the database correctly, the dups will be gone. More indication to me the f/w is writing the database incorrectly. Possibly it thinks it has the file completely and then writes the d/b but that wouldn't explain why the 2nd one is the correct full size of the file.

As for the missing files, I've lost WMV and AVI files as well as the MKV ones. If you take your USB drive to a PC and run CHKDSK you'll see the FREESPACE as ALLOCATED error, again, this points to a f/w problem writing to the FS (mine is NTFS).

I didn't know there was a list of approved USB drives? Mine is older, a WD WD1000H1U, but I had no problems with it when using the ASUS? I don't understand why some USB drives will work and some not? I can understand ones that use the Router for power, but not self-powered ones like I have? Hmm, I may test with another USB or two I have here and see if it still happens. Even if it doesn't with another USB, that is still no excuse in my book.
Thanks for the fix I will try that first thing when I get home with the dubs. I was using FTP to the folders which is why I didn't see them. Netgear talks highly of its features, DLNA, USB Device support for HDD and such... I'm really surprised they don't have a FW fix for this already.

Yeah I didn't know there was a list of approved USB drives as well until I found that my Seagate Back Up Plus did not work (Though it said it was on the list, maybe a different model). It's on their page too.. http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18985

Also there is a forum on Netgear Support that users are talking about files missing as well. It's actually a 'sticky' on the forum site to where Netgear views it as an important topic discussed. So I assume Netgear is aware and hopefully looking into a fix. http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=88052
post #461 of 675 Old 02-21-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:

This list?
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18985/related/1
I hope not, because it's pretty ancient. A lot of the drives on it aren't shipping any more. Or is there a more up to date list? I wouldn't mind finding a reasonably priced 2TB drive for it.
Yes that is it! Haha, I just posted it... Didn't see yours until now. Yeah it is old but it says it was updated on 1/30/14. Has the R7000 listed there too.
post #462 of 675 Old 02-21-2014, 03:48 PM

Thought the list says "The following list of USB drives have been reported to work with R7000"

Meaning just reports and not actually compatibility
post #463 of 675 Old 02-21-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:

Thought the list says "The following list of USB drives have been reported to work with R7000"

Meaning just reports and not actually compatibility

Well, I did see those forum threads and list, and when I looked, almost all were 2TB's or higher, which means newer USB drives. However the top sentence is "All Routers should work with most USB-compliant external flash and hard drives." so I think that covers any and all except for the ones needing p/w access or possibly using power from the USB port to work.

My take, if it works with an ASUS router with Media Server, then it SHOULD work with the R7000 (and any other router with a Media Server) too!

post #464 of 675 Old 02-21-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:

Also there is a forum on Netgear Support that users are talking about files missing as well. It's actually a 'sticky' on the forum site to where Netgear views it as an important topic discussed. So I assume Netgear is aware and hopefully looking into a fix. http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=88052

That link is for the supported USB drives. I didn't see any 'sticky' ones about missing files? Could be buried inside one of the other ones talking about firmware possibly? I did see a few, and I'm one who put some in there. Wish they had 'official' Netgear people looking at the forums though. Support via a web page is a pain and it seems not to get to anyone what has the ability to do much more than respond after searching some in-house database. I'd assume the normal response is 'try this beta'? I've gotten no help so far from that method, but now I'm at a 'higher level' of support (3 weeks to get there) so we'll see what transpires. I guess not many people actually use USB drives, and if they do, not the Media Server.

I was told NOT to use iPad apps but the iPad Genie app that has a Media player in it. However that doesn't support anything but Apple approve media file types... so it is almost USELESS for me. I do not use READYSHARE either as I'm not backing up to the USB drive. Wouldn't even think about it now since I know I can LOSE files on the drive.

post #465 of 675 Old 02-21-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:

Well, I did see those forum threads and list, and when I looked, almost all were 2TB's or higher, which means newer USB drives. However the top sentence is "All Routers should work with most USB-compliant external flash and hard drives." so I think that covers any and all except for the ones needing p/w access or possibly using power from the USB port to work.

My take, if it works with an ASUS router with Media Server, then it SHOULD work with the R7000 (and any other router with a Media Server) too!

Not quite sure why that would be...I have an Asus router, and I don't expect that everything that works with it will work with Netgear and vice-versa....they're different companies, and have different cubicles in Elbonia where they design and develop their firmware *smile*. The one thing that they both have in common is that they both need third-party firmware to make things work for their hardware products. Don't mean to be argumentative, but they are different companies, and can be expected to support different sets of hardware.
post #466 of 675 Old 02-21-2014, 10:39 PM

Yes, I have had these very issues happen to me as well. I currently have probably no more than 25 movie files (MKV format), around 15 MP4 files, and a remote iTunes library on my readyshare AC-powered Seagate USB drive. To correct it, I simply copy the movie file(s) from my PC to the readyshare drive AGAIN and everything works fine after that. Anyway, in the few cases this has happened to me, like in your case, the file(s) appear to copy successfully, appear in Windows 7 file explorer, also on my wifi-connected macbook laptop, and play fine on my Sony BDP-BX510 blu-ray player, which identifies the media server as simply R7000. I like this ver simple media player feature on the the Sony BD player, even with its very simple interface. The big plus is that it plays nearly everything I throw on the drive, with the un-transcoded DTS audio tracks on MKV files. Many other media servers for example "Servio", will transcode the DTS track to DD5.1 on the fly. Anyway, back to the issue, I would go to find the file on a different day and, though the directory remained, the MKV file itself was completely gone, using every possible method of accessing it. Completely gone.

I've also seen the dupes showing up like you've encountered. I noticed they're usually dated around 30 minutes apart from each other, meaning the second file is dated a few minutes after the original file. This led me to believe I tried to access and play the file before it copied over completely. In the end, both files will appear to play correctly on my media player, so I just considered it a minor annoyance and lived with it, but I clearly remember copying only one file into that directory so it made no sense. Next time I see this occur, I will try your procedure for clearing the dupes.

I didn't form any connection between the two problems (duped files and disappearing files), though there may be a related bug at work here. In all but one case, I've been able to correct the disappearing files by simply recopying the file into the same directory and everything returned to normal. There was one time I knew I had a corruption issue with two of the readyshare directories/files because I wasn't even able to gain access to them for deleting or recopying files into that directory, even though the directory appeared in file explorer. In this particular case, I had to disconnect my readyshare drive from my router, connect it directly to my PC, run scan and repair, which fortunately identified the effected directories/files almost immediately and removed them without harming anything else on the drive, thank God. After I recopied the directories/files, everything behaved as it should, streaming the files flawlessly.

I'm surprised no others on this board have mentioned seeing these issues or I've just missed their post(s). Again, I suspected I caused it by trying to access the files from my media player before they were finished copying (a 10 to 20 minute process for a 12GB+ MKV file), but I'm not convinced this is it because I always give it ample time to copy before attempting to access it. I only hope it's a fixable bug that will disappear in an upcoming firmware release. Let's see now if others have seen the same issue. Your post prompted me to respond so maybe others will respond as well and offer a cause and solution.
post #467 of 675 Old 02-22-2014, 05:22 AM

Larry, I did have ONE instance of where a file and folder disappeared I tried to copy it over again (I used to use MOVE, but since I lost data I don't do that any more) and it would not work, usually saying I didn't have permission or something like that? I do not recall, happened only once.

I don't use READYSHARE either, do not need it to run the Media Server.

post #468 of 675 Old 02-22-2014, 05:44 AM

Quote:

Not quite sure why that would be...I have an Asus router, and I don't expect that everything that works with it will work with Netgear and vice-versa....they're different companies, and have different cubicles in Elbonia where they design and develop their firmware *smile*. The one thing that they both have in common is that they both need third-party firmware to make things work for their hardware products. Don't mean to be argumentative, but they are different companies, and can be expected to support different sets of hardware.

Roger,

Well, you basically make my case that the problem is in the router. The USB drives are commodities today. That is anyone can make them and so far, all made work properly when attached to a PC or MAC that I'm aware of. Netgear does make a statement that USB Drives requiring special h/w, p/w's to access, or not self-powered will not or may not work. All others 'should'.

So we're dealing with 5 entities, the PC or Mac OS, TCP/IP, wired or wireless, the Router, and the firmware in the USB Drive, and the filesystem used.

I have proven that with an ASUS router all of this works. Change to an R7000 and it does. Where do you think the problem lies?

This isn't about Netgear not supporting my drive but not working on a drive, i.e. a s/w bug in the f/w.

As you can see now, I'm not alone with this problem either, probably more than one OS, USB drives, different router flash levels probably (I've tried 3), and network cards.

I almost feel I paid $200 to be a beta tester for Netgear. Did you know that the box says it is WiFi Certified? If you check the WiFi Certification site the R7000 IS NOT listed? An ASUS AC router made at the same time is. The latest flash for the R7000 has a statement in the readme that a security method was REMOVED for WiFi Certification requirements. The README :

===============

R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.3.24

Note: Please remember to do factory default after firmware upgrade. Enter "Backup Settings" in the web GUI and click "Erase" button of "Revert to factory default settings". 

New Features & Enhancements:

• Implicit Beamforming and Airtime Fairness Support.
  • LED Control Setting Support.
  • Changed 2.4G Wi-Fi mode to “Up to 600Mbps” as factory default.
  • Removed WPA-PSK security for Wi-Fi certification compliance.

Bug Fixes:

• Improves 2.4G and 5G Wi-Fi stability.

================

A bug fix too as you can see... and the beamforming finally added (I think it was removed from the shipped flash as it didn't work). Try looking at the older flash readme's. Many items sure look like problems one would fine during a beta test.

Many h/w manufacturers handle beta tests differently than Netgear. The beta is release to anyone that wants to try it. Not Netgear, first you have to convince Support you want it or they think it will fix your problem. Then you have to 'sign' an NDA and swear not to give it to anyone or even talk about it or problems you find with it. Yes, some do ignore this and even post it, but is this the right thing to do?

post #469 of 675 Old 02-22-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:

Roger,
Well, you basically make my case that the problem is in the router. The USB drives are commodities today. That is anyone can make them and so far, all made work properly when attached to a PC or MAC that I'm aware of. Netgear does make a statement that USB Drives requiring special h/w, p/w's to access, or not self-powered will not or may not work. All others 'should'.

I have proven that with an ASUS router all of this works. Change to an R7000 and it does. Where do you think the problem lies?

This isn't about Netgear not supporting my drive but not working on a drive, i.e. a s/w bug in the f/w.

As you can see now, I'm not alone with this problem either, probably more than one OS, USB drives, different router flash levels probably (I've tried 3), and network cards.

I almost feel I paid $200 to be a beta tester for Netgear. Did you know that the box says it is WiFi Certified? If you check the WiFi Certification site the R7000 IS NOT listed? An ASUS AC router made at the same time is. The latest flash for the R7000 has a statement in the readme that a security method was REMOVED for WiFi Certification requirements. The README :

Many h/w manufacturers handle beta tests differently than Netgear. The beta is release to anyone that wants to try it. Not Netgear, first you have to convince Support you want it or they think it will fix your problem. Then you have to 'sign' an NDA and swear not to give it to anyone or even talk about it or problems you find with it. Yes, some do ignore this and even post it, but is this the right thing to do?

I wasn't sure that I was going to reply, but there's a couple of things we could discuss here...

If your case was that it is the R7000 that's not supporting your disk, then yes, I agree with that *smile*. If your case is that every router should support all USB disks because USB is a standard, then yes, that should be the case. However, each router on the market, if the OEM's are doing their job, will have a list of "known" compatible USB drives, drives not listed there may or may not be compatible. Here's Netgear's list of known compatible drives:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18985

There's also a sticky thread on the Netgear forum where you can add USB drives that you find are compatible. Nearly every router I know of has these lists, and you can expect them to be different because different people are writing the firmware for various OEM's, and so firmware behavior differs (of course). So there's "should" and there's the reality of the fact that different routers support different USB drives. That's just life, and I've learned to expect that I should at least look at a router's list of compatible USB drives if I want to have a reasonable expectation that my USB drive is supported. Or just try it, and hope for the best. It's my choice to return a new router if it doesn't support my particular USB drive.

On the wifi certification, yes, I noticed that the WiFi Alliance site didn't list the R7000, and sent a message to WiFi Alliance customer relations to ask about this. They said that it is not their accepted practice to allow companies to use their logo until they were actually certified, and they'd look into it, whatever that means. I was disappointed to find out that the R7000 was not yet certified, since the logo was there, but now I know that I need to check that. I'm personally glad to see that they're making progress toward being certified, and will be glad when they make it. This is false advertising, but then so is putting out a router with a list of features, some of which aren't implemented yet. Again, Netgear isn't the only company doing this, the rush to market is common with routers, they figure that they can add promised features as they can via firmware. Good for them, not good for us, the customer. But then, from past experience, I was expecting to have to suffer through some firmware releases that weren't exactly solid. Call it beta test, I agree with that, but the OEM's call it general release *smile*.

I understand your frustration, and sympathize with your disappointment. I've read many postings about particular USB drives that didn't work with Asus routers as well in the smallnetbuilder forum (I also have an Asus RT-N66U and an RT-N56U), same for other routers that I've had, so this doesn't surprise me. It's definitely not intuitive that a drive that's built to support a standard wouldn't work properly with a piece of hardware that supports that interface standard. But that's just the way it is for us beta testers.
post #470 of 675 Old 02-22-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:

Here's Netgear's list of known compatible drives:

But that's just the way it is for us beta testers.

That list is user generated, and the top of the list says "been reported", I'd not put too much weight on any reported. The 'official' statement on the top is "All Routers should work with most USB-compliant external flash and hard drives. Do NOT connect computers, USB modems, CD or DVD drives to the router's USB port." Note the word 'should'. What one would expect as using a USB drive should be well known how to do.

You are sure right about being a Beta Tester, usually you don't need to pay to do that though.

post #471 of 675 Old 02-22-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:

I wasn't sure that I was going to reply, but there's a couple of things we could discuss here...

If your case was that it is the R7000 that's not supporting your disk, then yes, I agree with that *smile*. If your case is that every router should support all USB disks because USB is a standard, then yes, that should be the case. However, each router on the market, if the OEM's are doing their job, will have a list of "known" compatible USB drives, drives not listed there may or may not be compatible. Here's Netgear's list of known compatible drives:

There's also a sticky thread on the Netgear forum where you can add USB drives that you find are compatible. Nearly every router I know of has these lists, and you can expect them to be different because different people are writing the firmware for various OEM's, and so firmware behavior differs (of course). So there's "should" and there's the reality of the fact that different routers support different USB drives. That's just life, and I've learned to expect that I should at least look at a router's list of compatible USB drives if I want to have a reasonable expectation that my USB drive is supported. Or just try it, and hope for the best. It's my choice to return a new router if it doesn't support my particular USB drive.

Another point though, usually it is 'new' h/w that isn't supported. For instance, 4TB drives were not supported until recently, you had to re-partition them into partition sizes that could be recognized by the OS (I think this was an initial W7 requirement, could be wrong). That I understand, the API's used didn't support the drive size, either the sector count or other feature of the drive. They should all work on older drives though. I've got some other USB drives here, 250 and 500GB's, I'll probably try those out. Netgear DID ask me to try using the other computer which is connected to the router wirelessly. Did that, same problem, but I'm not surprised.

I'm building a test case now. I'm going to create a folder with many sub-folders in it. I am going to copy the SAME AVI file into each sub-folder and then try copying the main folder to the root of the USB and see how that goes. No dup's I'll then copy the folders to share\video... which is where I'm now getting the dups.

post #472 of 675 Old 02-22-2014, 01:48 PM

Larry, I duplicated the problem now on the latest flash...

I created a stucture on my PC of a folder, 5 sub-folders, and in each sub-folder copied the IDENTICAL AVI file into each. I then copied the main folder using Windows Explorer over to the root of the Router USB share.

Then used BOTH an iPad app and Windows Media Player and looked at that folder that was copied over.

You'll see above the problem clearly, same filename, 2 different sizes and timestamps.

The next sub-folder too,

Note the same dup but a different size and the timestand slightly after the first one above, probably the real time the copy started?

Also, using FTP the dup's DO NOT show:

All this and more has been sent to Netgear, we'll see what answer I get back...

post #473 of 675 Old 02-23-2014, 03:09 AM

Similar problem here. See my thread on the Netgear forum:

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=90089

post #474 of 675 Old 02-24-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:

Roger that. I won't be able to test that as I don't make use of the chat features for the Xbox. We've got an Xbox one, and will probably add another one soon. Is the chat feature game specific? Is the problem easily repeatable? And are you using the Xbox via wifi or wired? I ask not to disprove what you've encountered but to see if mine replicates the same nonsense.

The chat I am referring to was Xbox Party Chat, its not game specific. I assume its repeatable, i had the problem everytime both xbox ones were on. both xbox ones are wired.
post #475 of 675 Old 02-24-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky11 View Post

The chat I am referring to was Xbox Party Chat, its not game specific. I assume its repeatable, i had the problem everytime both xbox ones were on. both xbox ones are wired.
Ah, I don't have my second Xbox yet. I wasn't planning on bringing it online between now and when my return window closes on the R7000.
post #476 of 675 Old 02-24-2014, 01:56 PM

Hi there I have a R7000 set up to use time machine over wifi. I use a 2tb wd passport for mac and for some reason it may be after a week of use it may be after a day I get a hard drive error which then means it cannot be read by the router or whilst plugging into my mac via disk doctor. I then have to reformat the hard drive loosing my back up ever time which is usually around 600gb which even over wifi only takes bout 9 hours so done over night!

Any ideas how to stop it doing this?? I have tried different partitions different formats even taken the hard drive back and swapped for different model ,

Any help would be massively appreciated!
post #477 of 675 Old 02-25-2014, 01:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Wondering if anyone with Comcast also noticed this issue over the weekend.

Went from getting 10/10 IPv6 Readiness last week, to 7/10 now at http://test-ipv6.com/ ... reason being "You appear to be using a public 6to4 gateway; your router may be providing this to you automatically. Such public gateways have no service level agreements; you may see performance problems using such. Better would be to get a native IPv6 address from your ISP." ... this wasn't an issue last week.

Of course, Comcast's own check http://test-ipv6.comcast.net/ returns a 10/10 for IPv6.

I'm clearly a neophyte with this. Just curious if anyone knows what the issue is.
post #478 of 675 Old 02-25-2014, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooly27 View Post

Hi there I have a R7000 set up to use time machine over wifi. I use a 2tb wd passport for mac and for some reason it may be after a week of use it may be after a day I get a hard drive error which then means it cannot be read by the router or whilst plugging into my mac via disk doctor. I then have to reformat the hard drive loosing my back up ever time which is usually around 600gb which even over wifi only takes bout 9 hours so done over night!

Any ideas how to stop it doing this?? I have tried different partitions different formats even taken the hard drive back and swapped for different model ,

Any help would be massively appreciated!

This is probably a different manifestation of data loss and filesystem corruption some of us that are using a USB drive are seeing. If you have not reported this to Netgear on MYNETGEAR.COM I suggest you do just that.

post #479 of 675 Old 02-25-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbuubu View Post

Wondering if anyone with Comcast also noticed this issue over the weekend.

Went from getting 10/10 IPv6 Readiness last week, to 7/10 now at http://test-ipv6.com/ ... reason being "You appear to be using a public 6to4 gateway; your router may be providing this to you automatically. Such public gateways have no service level agreements; you may see performance problems using such. Better would be to get a native IPv6 address from your ISP." ... this wasn't an issue last week.

Of course, Comcast's own check http://test-ipv6.comcast.net/ returns a 10/10 for IPv6.

I'm clearly a neophyte with this. Just curious if anyone knows what the issue is.

Not sure why your test went from 10/10 to 7/10 but I am fairly certain that comcast does not implement native ipv6 but rather ipv6 6rd (rapid deployment) which is an implementation that tunnels ipv6 over ipv4 using comcast's own network. Many ISPs including my own implement ipv6 in this manner.

Unfortunately unless something changed in the latest update, ipv6 6rd is not supported by Netgear's native firmware. When I tested ipv6 using Netgear's firmware and selected auto detect my router detected ipv6 6to4 tunnel which provided me with ipv6 connectivity using a public gateway. In my case this was provided by HE (Hurricane Electric) in NY.

I was able to confirm this by doing two tests. The first test was a traceroute to my ISP's ipv4 speedtest server. The second was a traceroute to my ISP's ipv6 speedtest server. The first test showed that the route was entirely within my ISP's network while the second took a 500 mile detour via NY. PIng times were noticeably higher to the ipv6 test server due to the distance involved.

In the real world using a 6to4 tunnel via public gateway may have no noticable negative effects unless that public gateway is physically located far enough away to impact ping times and your are using ipv6 for latency sensitive applications such as online gaming or voip. It also adds another point of possible failure to your setup.

Now back to your 10/10 to 7/10 question. I really don't know the answer but suspect the test did not pick up the fact you were using a public gateway at first. I believe I also experienced the same while testing ipv6 and Netgear's FW but that was a while back and since then I moved on to DD-WRT's firmware. FWIW I suspect DD-WRT is closer to providing 6rd support (via CLI not GUI) than Netgear's own FW.

I would be interested in hearing RogerSC's take on this issue as I believe he has also been testing the r7000 and comcast ipv6.
post #480 of 675 Old 02-25-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMESMTL View Post

Not sure why your test went from 10/10 to 7/10 but I am fairly certain that comcast does not implement native ipv6 but rather ipv6 6rd (rapid deployment) which is an implementation that tunnels ipv6 over ipv4 using comcast's own network. Many ISPs including my own implement ipv6 in this manner.

I would be interested in hearing RogerSC's take on this issue as I believe he has also been testing the r7000 and comcast ipv6.

I don't know why the non-Comcast test failed for you, I haven't experienced that one. My dual-stack IPv4/IPv6 setup here has always passed all the online tests with no problem. The odd thing here is that all the onlne port scanners always show all my IPv6 ports (the router's ports, and all the computer and wireless client ports) in stealth mode, with or without an IPv6 firewall, so that must be Comcast doing that *smile*.

Comcast's IPv6 is DHCP-PD, which is basically native IPv6 where Comcast will send your router a /64 block prefix. Then your internal IPv6 addresses are assigned from that block of addresses for which you have the prefix. Radvd runs on your router to accomplish distributing IPv6 addresses to the clients.

If Comcast's test passes and and the other ones don't (which I haven't seen), then it sounds like the router firmware isn't quite right. Of course, you need to look at the detailed results of the failing test to see exactly what failed to put your finger on what's wrong. And there's an outside chance that the failing IPv6 test isn't working right for some reason...I've seen that a few times over time.

I've personally given up on using IPv6 with the R7000 for the moment, since it is so broken here that it's just a pain in the neck. My Asus RT-N66U worked perfectly with Comcast IPv6 for over a year and still does, but the R7000 has too many annoying problems. So I'm using dd-wrt at the moment with the R7000 since I get better wireless and like the web interface much better as well (win-win). IPv6 will have to wait until the R7000 firmware is fixed (or in the case of dd-wrt, IPv6 is added).
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Netgear R7000 100pas Ac1900 Gig Router
Gear in this thread - R7000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page