Netgear R7000 Nighthawk AC1900 Router Review and Comments Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 676 Old 04-27-2014, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1977nj View Post

Have any new betas come out since V1.0.3.52_1.1.23? Bob anyone if so I would like to try it out. I am still having wireless dropout issues with my router. mad.gif

Where can I get the 1.0.3.52_1.1.23 beta if I might ask?

1361112817718.png
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 676 Old 04-27-2014, 12:14 PM

Liked: 11

Hi,

Because they rush the product B4 it is ready. Marketing calls the shots instead Engineering.

We see same thing in other things, ie. GM recall mess.  My suggestion is to visit the R7000

forum at dd-wrt and get the feel of it, ask all the questions you need, and go from there. Every time

new release stock f/w comes out I try it then right back to dd-wrt. Develop[er Kong in Germany is

very nice guy always he listens to users and answers questions very frequently. Almost daily he visits

the forum. One of my beef with R7000 f/w is lacking  accessibility to router via Telnet or ssh.

post #633 of 676 Old 04-27-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDHolmes View Post

This is a classic case of a probable Memory Leak. Everything is find for a while, from a few days to a few weeks, then the strange problems start. This problem appears to be in all versions of firmware including the most recent beta firmware.

Does the DD-WRT firmware exhibit this behavior? If it does the leak may be in the lowest level code supplied by the chip vendor. If not, it may be is at a higher level in the Netgear code.

I am not really familiar with the code used in routers et al, but my 50 plus years of programming experience has allowed me to see an alarming decline in the overall quality of code. When I started errors were not allowed. Now, if is sort of works, it is good enough.

I've been using dd-wrt most of the time, but not for weeks in a row yet *smile*. About a week is as much as I've experienced on any single dd-wrt release, and that's been just fine. I do watch for memory leaks, easy to do with dd-wrt, and have never noticed memory usage building up over a week's time. You could potentially run into something like that if you're using obscure features, but I don't see reports of memory leaks in the forum, so would presume that it isn't a problem that people are running into. So, yes, I'd recommend that you try dd-wrt firmware and see what you think. It has been stable and performed well for me for several months now, so I feel that it would serve your client's purposes. The 23900M "STD NEWD" release has been good for me since it came out, that's the one that I'd currently use. Note that releases earlier than 23900M and r23884 are subject to the Heartbleed exploit due to the version of OpenSSL that they use. This was fixed in the r23884 release.

There are three caveats with dd-wrt firmware, though...if their download speed is > 300-400Mbps, then they'll lose some of that since dd-wrt doesn't have "hardware acceleration" (CTF) at this point in time. Also, IPv6 is not a standard feature at this point. Very few people require this, so it most likely isn't a problem. The last thing is that guest networks are not standard, but there's a guide to creating them. Again, I don't know if your clients need that, but if they do, it isn't hard to make them using the guide.

One additional caveat perhaps of interest to you in regard the Netgear stock firmware is that the current release series doesn't allow telnet to the router, so memory leaks (or anything else that needs access to the router's command line interface) would be very hard to verify. I don't know if they intend to fix that, or simply want to limit users from using telnet, but not being able to log into my router via telnet or ssh is not for me. It's been that way since they moved to the 1.0.3.x series firmware releases.
post #634 of 676 Old 04-27-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dems86 View Post

Where can I get the 1.0.3.52_1.1.23 beta if I might ask?

If you're having issues, your best path at this point, unless Bob can help, is to report the issues to Netgear (my.netgear.com). They may offer their latest intermediate firmware build, or you can ask for it to see if it fixes your problems. They've moved beyond 3.52 at this point.
post #635 of 676 Old 04-28-2014, 03:27 PM

1.0.3.52_1.1.23 would be super if someone could point this thread in the right direction. Currently using 1.0.3.49 and experiencing wifi dropouts galore :/
post #636 of 676 Old 04-28-2014, 04:50 PM

Hi,

Unfortunately, according to talks going on at Netgear R7000 forum problem still persists

with V-1.0.3.52. In my case I don't understand about WiFi drop outs. Either with OEM f/w or

dd-wrt, I don't see the issue. I have WiFi IP cameras(one indoor, two outdoor) which is always

on-line 7/24. Cameras are on 2.4Ghz of course. Maybe because my router is not heavily loaded?

post #637 of 676 Old 04-30-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I never have dropout either. Mine works flawlessly with stock latest firmware.
post #638 of 676 Old 04-30-2014, 07:32 PM

I have a GalaxyS5 and my R7000 keeps reconnecting all the time. Did you ever find the problem with that? I have a WNDR3400 that the Comcast modem connects to and then hardwire to next floor up to the R7000. I have changed the channels and that has not fixed it. Any suggestions.

It seems the 5 drops with my wifes Mac Book also. I know the 2,4 was getting interference from a cheap microwave that came with the house. I changed the channel on 2.4 and that seems to have been fixed but not the 5 dropping.

post #639 of 676 Old 05-01-2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT84CJ7 View Post

I have a GalaxyS5 and my R7000 keeps reconnecting all the time. Did you ever find the problem with that? I have a WNDR3400 that the Comcast modem connects to and then hardwire to next floor up to the R7000. I have changed the channels and that has not fixed it. Any suggestions.

It seems the 5 drops with my wifes Mac Book also. I know the 2,4 was getting interference from a cheap microwave that came with the house. I changed the channel on 2.4 and that seems to have been fixed but not the 5 dropping.

Not sure that it will help, but have you tried a static IP address on your S5? I have an S3 that I use a static IP address with (outside of DHCP pool IP addresses), and even though they are very different hardware, I don't have this problem. I'm also using dd-wrt firmware on my R7000, that's another reason why our results may differ.

Just a thought.
post #640 of 676 Old 05-06-2014, 08:41 AM

My R7000 just got updated to official V1.0.3.56_1.1.25.

post #641 of 676 Old 05-06-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post

My R7000 just got updated to official V1.0.3.56_1.1.25.

Hmm,

File size got smaller. No more cloud feature?

post #642 of 676 Old 05-06-2014, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
My Client's installation is not doing well with a number of connection issues occurring after a period of a few days to a few weeks. A reboot of the device with the problem clears the problem until it happens again.

Devices like the R7000 should not exhibit problems like this, ever! They should just continue to work.

The R7000 configured as a Router stops serving IP addresses via DHCP.

The 5GHz band stops accepting connections. This also causes the R7000 Bridge to lose its connection.

These problems are a classic symptom of very basic Firmware Coding problems.

The Netgear Engineers need to return to square one with the firmware and revue for the following problems:

1. Exception Handling

Are all exceptions being handled or are there exceptions that are "falling through" and allowing execution of unexpected code paths?

2. Buffer overflows

Is range checking implemented on ALL buffers to ensure that there are no overflows which may result in overwriting critical areas of memory.

3. Memory Leaks

Is memory being returned to the memory pool after it is no longer needed. A possible example of this would be the memory used when a wireless connection is established. Is this memory being released after the wireless client terminates the connection.

The more I read on this thread and the R7000 threads on the Netgear Forums, the more frustrated I become that Netgear is not addressing the root cause of the problems with the R7000 firmware.
Magoo30 likes this.

Bob Holmes
Curmudgeon
post #643 of 676 Old 05-11-2014, 04:45 PM

Is anyone having Airplay issues on WiFi only? I searched and people had Airplay issues behind a bridge, I'm using just as a router. Airplay will work wireless for like an hour, then stop. Also, if I pause for more than a few seconds and go back iTunes can no longer find the speaker. If I turn the speaker off then back on, it works again, there is no problem if the speaker is hard wired with a network cable. Not sure if the issue is on the Nighthawk end or the speaker end (Samsung). Anyone else have anything like this happen before I submit a ticket to Netgear?
post #644 of 676 Old 05-11-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by essentialjpm View Post

Is anyone having Airplay issues on WiFi only? I searched and people had Airplay issues behind a bridge, I'm using just as a router. Airplay will work wireless for like an hour, then stop. Also, if I pause for more than a few seconds and go back iTunes can no longer find the speaker. If I turn the speaker off then back on, it works again, there is no problem if the speaker is hard wired with a network cable. Not sure if the issue is on the Nighthawk end or the speaker end (Samsung). Anyone else have anything like this happen before I submit a ticket to Netgear?

There have been Airplay issues mentioned in the Netgear forum, but they may have been fixed in the latest official Netgear firmware release, V1.0.3.56_1.1.25. Is this the firmware version you're using? Or are you using an earlier version? I'm curious, since I recall people that were having problems with Airplay were given "intermediate" versions of firmware to test, leading me to believe that Netgear was working on the issues.

Thanks.
post #645 of 676 Old 05-11-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerSC View Post

There have been Airplay issues mentioned in the Netgear forum, but they may have been fixed in the latest official Netgear firmware release, V1.0.3.56_1.1.25. Is this the firmware version you're using? Or are you using an earlier version? I'm curious, since I recall people that were having problems with Airplay were given "intermediate" versions of firmware to test, leading me to believe that Netgear was working on the issues.

Thanks.

I was using the last official version. After reading this thread I saw someone updated today so I checked and a new version was available. I am now on 1.0.3.56_1.1.25, I haven't done testing yet though. I will do some tonight/tomorrow and post back to see if I have the same issues.

Edit:
I'm surprised but it looks like the new firmware might have fixed my issue. I left iTunes streaming wireless to my dock overnight, when I woke up this morning it was still playing, by far the longest it's ever gone without cutting out and needing to be reset. Also, when I got in the shower I paused iTunes. I resumed play prior to leaving for work and it was able to find the speaker and connect normally without being reset. I'm leaving it on pause all day while I'm at work to see if it will resume without needed a reset when I get home, but for now it looks like it was the Nighthawk, and it's fixed.
post #646 of 676 Old 05-12-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by essentialjpm View Post

I'm surprised but it looks like the new firmware might have fixed my issue. I left iTunes streaming wireless to my dock overnight, when I woke up this morning it was still playing, by far the longest it's ever gone without cutting out and needing to be reset. Also, when I got in the shower I paused iTunes. I resumed play prior to leaving for work and it was able to find the speaker and connect normally without being reset. I'm leaving it on pause all day while I'm at work to see if it will resume without needed a reset when I get home, but for now it looks like it was the Nighthawk, and it's fixed.

Thanks for the followup, glad to hear that Airplay is working better with the latest firmware.
post #647 of 676 Old 05-12-2014, 07:56 PM

It's weird... When I was on the previous firmware (3.24 I believe, not beta) I didn't really have any disconnecting issues. Now since I flashed the new 1.0.3.56_1.1.25 firmware I am having disconnecting issues. Example... If my laptop is at a heavy load of traffic (downloading at 1 to 3 mb per sec) my cell phone and other devices disconnect only on the 5G Frequency. 2.4G seems to be not as bad but still shaky... I'm going to try restoring to defaults, flash the firmware again, then restore to defaults and see if the issues persists. If that doesn't work then I am going back to the previous firmware... *Sign* What is upsetting is that the R7000 been out for almost a year now I believe? And... They are still having issues.
post #648 of 676 Old 05-12-2014, 07:57 PM

Roger are you enjoying the third party DD-WRT?
post #649 of 676 Old 05-13-2014, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupted Mind View Post

Well I was, haven't used it in a few days, though. Got a WRT1900AC to look at now, and also Netgear had me put stock firmware back on my R7000 so that they could work on my IPv6 problem.

Other than that, yes, it was working well for me, and I will go back to it as soon as I can.

Also, I think that the R7000 has only been out since October of last year, so about 7 months. On the other hand, I think that we had all hoped that Netgear would be further along with it by now. But dd-wrt does provide a more stable alternative, so there you go. It isn't perfect either, but when you find a release of dd-wrt that works well for you, it really does work well *smile*. The 23900M dd-wrt release was working well for me, I'll most likely be looking for a later release to try when I go back to it.

I never used Asus firmware when I was using the Asus RT-N66U a lot, either. It is easy to use the Linksys firmware for WRT1900AC, though, it's missing so much. I'll get more use out of it when there's reasonable open source firmware available for it.
post #650 of 676 Old 05-14-2014, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Did search but not see it posted.
Just bought a R7000 rounter to replace my curent d-link one. I'm using verizon actiontec rounter as a DHCP server to assign IP addresses (static/ dynamic) to my devices at home.
Should I move DHCP from verizon rounter to R7000 or just keep R7000 as a wireless rounter purely? In which way I can access to my NAS from internet (outside the house) better?
Thanks for your prompt replies.
post #651 of 676 Old 05-14-2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:

Okay, back to dd-wrt on the R7000, build 24045M, STD NEWD...feels good to be back in the stable lane *smile*. Netgear support blew me off, didn't show up when they said that they'd call, so, as a customer, I don't feel obliged to help them a lot. WRT1900AC had a spontaneous reboot. No problems with the R7000 on dd-wrt, though. Maybe Tomato firmware next *smile*, I'm curious about how that's going. Tomato has CTF (hardware acceleration) in wireless driver, but needs some polish.
post #652 of 676 Old 05-16-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:

Okay, back to dd-wrt on the R7000, build 24045M, STD NEWD...feels good to be back in the stable lane *smile*. Netgear support blew me off, didn't show up when they said that they'd call, so, as a customer, I don't feel obliged to help them a lot. WRT1900AC had a spontaneous reboot. No problems with the R7000 on dd-wrt, though. Maybe Tomato firmware next *smile*, I'm curious about how that's going. Tomato has CTF (hardware acceleration) in wireless driver, but needs some polish.

Yeah I am waiting looking forward to Tomato's Firmware. I'm also waiting for a better build of the firmware. I know it just came out so i'm patiently waiting... I'm going to try dd-wrt build 24045m. Thanks for the heads up. Good to hear that there are no major issues on the firmware. dd-wrt seems to be more frequent with updates than Netgear and dd-wrt actually listen to users I feel. To many dead ends with Netgear Support.
post #653 of 676 Old 05-16-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:

Hey quick question about dd-wrt... Does it support DLNA and external USB 3.0 portable HDD?
post #654 of 676 Old 05-16-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:

Hey quick question about dd-wrt... Does it support DLNA and external USB 3.0 portable HDD?

Yep, supports both. Personally, I'd get a NAS before I'd use my router for one, but that's just me *smile*. If you take a look at the R7000 forum for dd-wrt, you'll see all kinds of things that people do with their routers *smile*. People can be very creative.
post #655 of 676 Old 05-21-2014, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post

... mounted vertically on a wall which with its antenna design will provide the highest level performance.

Hi Bob, I'm curious about this comment - what antenna orientation provides the best performance - should they by positioned fanned out flush with the wall, or sticking out from the wall?
post #656 of 676 Old 05-21-2014, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 54
RF radiates out perpendicular from the antenna in a torus shape (think doughnuts or an inflatable inner tube). So your antenna should be oriented such that the donut pattern covers the area needing signals. I had a router in the basement and found using a 60 degree tilt provided the best coverage. Essentially 'aimed' to point toward where I was using devices the most.

Mounting it vertically on a wall would only be 'efficient' if everything needing it's signal was on that same floor (or close to it). If, like my setup, the router was in the basement, a vertical orientation would have been a disaster for anything two floors above, thus the tilt worked best for me.

Also note, older houses with lead paint (and ANY house built before 1974 will VERY likely have layers of it) will present problems for any router. You may have to move the router to several different location in order to find the most effective spot. Find that spot FIRST and then run the necessary wiring to it.
post #657 of 676 Old 05-22-2014, 05:20 AM

Sorry Bill, I'm interested in your reply but don't understand it. Can you be more specific about the direction? Antenna tips pointed toward the desired area (i.e. 60 degrees below horizontal?). I suppose I can just experiment myself, but with 3 antennas and so many permutations you would be saving me quite a bit of time if I could start by replicating your success. Many thanks. Nick.
post #658 of 676 Old 05-23-2014, 11:37 PM

A little question, please reply folks. All the 3 antenna sockets at the back of the router have very little (slight) amount of up and down loose movement but right and left there is none. If you try to feel the toughness of the socket and try with very little force to move it up and down u feel its not that tight, even with the antenna attached you can just hold the attached end of the antenna and try. IS IT NORMAL as my old Linksys WRT54G wifi G router has no play at all? 

post #659 of 676 Old 05-26-2014, 11:24 AM

VPn is not usuable on R7000 becuase you cannout set different accounts for it. Even file sharing is not useable because you also cannot set more than on account. and admin for files sharing is not good.

post #660 of 676 Old 06-24-2014, 04:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Questions re: Using R7000 as access point

I have a Juniper router and Cisco Layer 3 switch and a 2.4GHz N-access point that is dying.
Wanted to replace this with the R7000 as I now have several AC-class clients and the 2.4GHZ N band is very full in my neighbourhood (5GHz appear free for the moment) but it appears I may be better off with the Asus R-68 perhaps?

Prefer to use the R7000 software features since I'd be paying for them so wondering if I can use this as a simple router without NAT (i.e. RFC1918 addresses on both sides - 10.10.1.0 and 10.10.2.0 for instance) and then connect the WAN port to either the Cisco or Juniper as I see fit.

If I can't do this then should I get the Asus unit or perhaps just a cheaper AC-class router I can place into AP mode?

Any thoughts?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Netgear R7000 100pas Ac1900 Gig Router
Gear in this thread - R7000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page