Netgear R7000 Nighthawk AC1900 Router Review and Comments Thread - Page 23 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 668 Old 06-24-2014, 05:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BratNZ View Post
I have a Juniper router and Cisco Layer 3 switch and a 2.4GHz N-access point that is dying.
Wanted to replace this with the R7000 as I now have several AC-class clients and the 2.4GHZ N band is very full in my neighbourhood (5GHz appear free for the moment) but it appears I may be better off with the Asus R-68 perhaps?

Prefer to use the R7000 software features since I'd be paying for them so wondering if I can use this as a simple router without NAT (i.e. RFC1918 addresses on both sides - 10.10.1.0 and 10.10.2.0 for instance) and then connect the WAN port to either the Cisco or Juniper as I see fit.

If I can't do this then should I get the Asus unit or perhaps just a cheaper AC-class router I can place into AP mode?

Any thoughts?
Hi,
I suggest you to visit R7000 forum at dd-wrt. R7000 radios are very stable with dd-wrt f/w. I have Linksys WRT1900AC and R7000 but R7000 is on the air always, WRT1900AC is just a back up on stand by.
BratNZ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 668 Old 06-26-2014, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
http://www.netgear.com/about/press-r...HTHAWK-X6.aspx

yikes..........
post #663 of 668 Old 06-26-2014, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey all. I need some help. I recently installed an IP camera security system and having some problems. What is the best way to dedicate my network to give priority to the cameras. Not getting the best of images right now and certain a tweak will help
post #664 of 668 Old 06-26-2014, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytvstosee View Post
I guess that it might be asking to much for Netgear to get all the advertised features of the R7000 working properly before announcing the follow on product.

I used to think that Linksys was best.

Then Cisco brought Linksys and ruined them.

Then I switched to Netgear and was happy until the R7000.

At this point it looks like all the vendors of Home/Small Business routers are in a rush to release the latest and greatest with no worry about the quality of the firmware or availability of all advertised features and functions.
post #665 of 668 Old 06-28-2014, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Came across this thread and hope I can get an answer to complicated question. I have verizon DSL and recently have had some issues with slowing down on my home network. Now I have a lot of wireless clients like iPhones , ipad, Apple TV, laptop, networked dvr and a desktop which is wired in. I get about 3 Mb speed. My problem is when 3 people are on the network at once trying to either play a game online and also stream a movie. Everything slows down. Even just surfing the web. Had verizon test line and it's fine. They are sending me a new modem since mine is 10 yrs old. It is a westell c90. Think getting an actiontec. I have an apple AirPort Extreme N compatible. I was looking into this router being triband. Would changing up the router make a difference in not having the network bog down when multiple people are on it. Can't get fios here and don't want to switch to optimum. Always has problems here. Would changing DNS to google servers or open DNS help at all.
post #666 of 668 Old 06-29-2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew64 View Post
Came across this thread and hope I can get an answer to complicated question. I have verizon DSL and recently have had some issues with slowing down on my home network. Now I have a lot of wireless clients like iPhones , ipad, Apple TV, laptop, networked dvr and a desktop which is wired in. I get about 3 Mb speed. My problem is when 3 people are on the network at once trying to either play a game online and also stream a movie. Everything slows down. Even just surfing the web. Had verizon test line and it's fine. They are sending me a new modem since mine is 10 yrs old. It is a westell c90. Think getting an actiontec. I have an apple AirPort Extreme N compatible. I was looking into this router being triband. Would changing up the router make a difference in not having the network bog down when multiple people are on it. Can't get fios here and don't want to switch to optimum. Always has problems here. Would changing DNS to google servers or open DNS help at all.
Just gotta troubleshoot it one possibility at a time. First are you on newest firmware?

If so, then as a starting point figure out what your real world max possible speed is: Connect a computer directly to the modem (take R7000 out) with an ethernet cable and without anyone else connected at the same time. Download a very large file, like an operating system .iso or something (say at least 250mb to get a good average value). You can also do the speedtest.net and similar sites, but many ISP's game those by putting a burst of higher than average speed at the beginning of downloads so the test will give flattering results.

Anyway, that is your max possible speed. Now put the R7000 back in and do the same thing with a wired connection to the R7000 and see if you still have the same max speed. Then add multiple wired connections each downloading big files or watching Netflix or something. If that doesn't replicate your problem then finally do it again with a mix of wired and wifi connections, and finally with all wifi connections - this at least establishes that the problem lies in wifi not anywhere else.

Make sure wifi settings are as fast as possible - for example don't enable g if you only have n devices. Use the 5ghz band to the extent possible - it doesn't have good range but it's much faster than 2.4ghz. Make sure you are not on a bad channel with a lot of interference. An easy way is to get an app such as inSSIDer and walk around with your phone. Change channels if it's too crowded - the app will suggest the best one.

You could be creating your own interference too if you have a whole bunch of devices - don't use wifi for things like desktop PC's or PS3's or media streamers that are fixed in place and could be wired (powerline adapters work well for this stuff).

Another possibility is QoS. If it is on and you're having the problem, turn it off. If it is off, turn it on and set it up according to your needs.

Anyway that is at least a start to narrowing down the problem. But yes, R7000 should be capable for providing way more than 3mbps to 3 devices simultaneously (assuming your max possible speed wired to the modem is well over 20mbps+). You're always limited by the slowest link in your connection, so you just gotta identify what that is first.

edit: No, changing DNS servers shouldn't help/hurt download speeds. That only affects the time it takes to initially connect to a URL.

Last edited by bgthree; 06-29-2014 at 12:21 AM.
post #667 of 668 Old 06-29-2014, 05:57 AM

Thanks for the reply. The router I am using now is the dual band apple AirPort Extreme which has worked well with respect to signal. Netgear is releasing the Nighthawk X6 AC3200 which is a tri band modem in July. Has two 5 MHz bands and a 2.4 MHz. I was wondering if this would help the lag on my network when more than one person is on. We pay for 3Mbps DSL which works fine to stream from netflix as long as my daughter isn't playing minecraft on the desktop. Then everything slows down. A lot of buffering happens then. So verizon is sending me a new modem first to replace my 15 yr old one that can't update firmware. I'm wondering if these new routers will prevent the buffering because of the extra band on it. My desktop is not wireless. Laptop and all iPads and iPhones are N.
post #668 of 668 Old 06-29-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
It's a DSL line, you're not going to get better performance. You're limited by the speed of the connection. You want the performance of a fire hose but you've got a garden hose. No router's going to improve that.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Netgear R7000 100pas Ac1900 Gig Router
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page