Netgear R7000 Nighthawk AC1900 Router Review and Comments Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #811 of 815 Old 01-03-2016, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lin View Post
DD-WRT is largely maintained by people working in their spare time and does not have the benefit of formal release testing. As a consequence, updating to the latest release is seldom the best practice.
Yup. That's true for all third party firmware. DD-WRT is an open source collective effort and thing get done when they do and most recent releases are very early beta's and warned as such. For a while DD-WRT had great structure that seems to have somewhat faded. You have to hit the site and do a lot of looking and reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 815 Old 01-05-2016, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post
Netgear will be releasing new firmware for the R7000 with advanced capabilities in the next 30 days or so. This will include "Smart Connect", first seen on the R8000 that will automatically place client devices on the best band based on the devices performance capability. In the R7000 case it will mean placing a dual band device on either the 2.4 ghz or the 5ghz based on its speed ability. Faster devices on 5 and slower on 2.4. This will simplify home networks since you will now have 1 SSID for both 2.4 and 5ghz with the R7000 deciding which device connects where. A very nice enhancement.

Bob Silver
Netgear Networking Advisor
Hi, Bob.

It looks like the firmware you mentioned above has been released. Have you had a chance to test it? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Also, do you know if there are any plans to port the R7500's adaptive QOS to the R7000?

Thanks for all the information you provide us here.

Regards!
post #813 of 815 Old 01-05-2016, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeCrow View Post
Hi, Bob.

It looks like the firmware you mentioned above has been released. Have you had a chance to test it? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Also, do you know if there are any plans to port the R7500's adaptive QOS to the R7000?

Thanks for all the information you provide us here.

Regards!
Yes Netgear will be adding Dynamic QOS to the R7000. Couldnt get a firm timetable but I expect it by Q2. But dont hold me to it.

I have been using the Smart Connect firmware and it works well. You dont know what band your on but when I test for speed things work wuite well. Its a good thing when you have ares of lower signal strength since when you go to those areas it will switch to the 2.4ghz band (as it gets better distance) and then in stronger areas 5ghz. Using an iphone you cant tell what band your on so my test is just in use. Give it a try.

The Arlo functionality is active but I have not yet connected my cameras. Will do that soon.

Bob Silver
post #814 of 815 Old 01-06-2016, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post
Yes Netgear will be adding Dynamic QOS to the R7000. Couldnt get a firm timetable but I expect it by Q2. But dont hold me to it.

I have been using the Smart Connect firmware and it works well. You dont know what band your on but when I test for speed things work wuite well. Its a good thing when you have ares of lower signal strength since when you go to those areas it will switch to the 2.4ghz band (as it gets better distance) and then in stronger areas 5ghz. Using an iphone you cant tell what band your on so my test is just in use. Give it a try.

The Arlo functionality is active but I have not yet connected my cameras. Will do that soon.

Bob Silver

Thanks again for the information, Bob. It is much appreciated.
post #815 of 815 Old 01-08-2016, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Netgear released 1.0.6.28 a few days ago.

New Features:
Supports Arlo camera. Set up the R7000 as an Arlo base station and connect an Arlo camera to the R7000 without needing an extra base station..
Bug Fixes:
Fixes the issue in which port 1237 cannot be used in port forwarding.
Fixes the issue in which the Kwilt binary cannot be downloaded in some cases.
Fixes the issue in which MTU is not restored when IPv6 is disabled.

If you are upgrading from 1.0.4.30 or earlier, I strongly recommend that you perform a factory reset after the upgrade and reconfigure by hand. Do not restore settings from a backup file created by the old firmware. Otherwise, it will undo the factory reset.

The reset fixes odd behaviors reported by many people after upgrading.

1.0.6.28 will broadcast a new SSID by default to support Arlo cameras. If you don't have Arlo, then you will want to turn this off.

Steven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Netgear R7000 100pas Ac1900 Gig Router
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page