Netgear R7000 Nighthawk AC1900 Router Review and Comments Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 673 Old 01-05-2014, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2456 View Post

Bob,

I have 2 questions I would really appreciate your help on. I can't seem to find the answers in this thread or on any other website.

1st question: You stated in your review that the R7000 (AC1900) has the Netgear ReadyShare Cloud option. The cloud option is not listed anywhere in Netgear's Genie, neither Basic nor Advanced settings, (only the 3 ticks: Basic, ReadyShare Vault, and ReadyShare Print Server) and after speaking with a Netgear tech, he said the R7000 is not compatible with ReadyShare Cloud. The tech steered me to this link -- http://www.netgear.com/landing/en-us/readyshare.aspx, and pointed me to the fact that the R7000 is not listed as a compatible router model and therefore does not support the ReadyShare Cloud. I'm running the latest router firmware and, like I said, there is no option in any of the router settings to set up ReadyShare Cloud.

Good question on Ready Share Cloud. Netgear changed this and it is called something else. Also on the R7000 there is new file sharing technology. Rather then run you around I am going to reach out to the product manager and get some clarification on this. So standby. Ill try and get you some answers on this is a couple days.

2nd question: Regarding the iTunes server, I have been up and down the internet looking for what specific files have to be loaded onto the the router-connected external USB drive for the server to work. I've had no luck finding an explanation as to how to build the file structure up. Do I create an entirely separate iTunes library in a folder on the R7000 and use the "choose iTunes library" option when opening iTunes? Or do I just store only the media files (music only) there and let the R7000 scan and do the rest. Or do I change the location of my media files under iTunes/Preferences/Advanced Settings to a music folder on the R7000 connected drive? This last option makes me nervous because every time I have tried to alter my iTunes library, something always gets screwed up and I have over 6,000 songs in my current library.

The itunes server needs to see the music files on the connected drive to the R7000. I started this process on my R7000 but ran into another issue that forced me to revert back to my WNDR4700 router which has been my main router. I need to re install the R7000 and work on this. I will try and do that this week. For me the router swap causes a lot of things to break as I have many access ports from the outside and many dependencies to my network configuration. This is also something I want to talk with the PM about as well. Because if it means that you have to have a duplicate itunes library on your router this is much less nice then if it can publish it from anywhere. Again let me report back.

Bob Silver

I would really appreciate your help with these as 1) it appears there no cloud service for this router and 2) their instructions do not explain how to setup the file structure on the R7000 external drive for the iTunes server to work properly.

Sorry for the long message but these are two features I'd really like to use. I'd like to know the "how to's" before going in because every time I mess around with iTunes, it tends to lose my library and I get a bunch of exclamation marks next to each song (file not found). I do luckily have everything backed up and I'd like to be able to access my iTunes library from any device or computer while on my home network.

If you or anyone else reading this post can offer some advice, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 673 Old 01-05-2014, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I started the work on it but havnt completed it. I will try and get it done this wee.

Bob
post #93 of 673 Old 01-05-2014, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscondidoGeorge View Post

Bob,
Thanks for all the time and effort you put in here for the rest of us.
I'm looking to upgrade from N300 to either the R6300 or the R7000.
I'm running into issues in a single story home network with several wireless clients (10 currently) and the farthest room from our network closet is about 100' away passing through the kitchen (major interference I'm guessing) so I'm thinking the beaming focus and the 5ghz band will help get a strong signal and 400mps or better at the distant location. Am I on the right track here with the R7000 or should I go with the R6300?
The primary issue will be good signal and performance for online gaming.
Thanks in advance.

Between the R7000 and the R6300 the R7000 has the better range., So as far as signal strength the 7000 would be the better choice. That said 5ghz has less range then 2.4ghz. The higher frequencies dont travel as far as lower frequencies. Ideally you would want to put the router in the middle of the house. But I realize that isnt practical.

I live in a single story ranch where my router sits under my desk. My living room is about 100 feet away and it must go through about 5 walls to get there. I get medium signal strength there with my N based 4700. When I installed the R7000 I saw about a 20% gain. So you may find in your case this to be workable.

The beam forming is not yet fully implemented in the 7000 so expect to see improvement from that over the next couple months when the firmware is complete.

So long answer but yes the R7000 would be your best choice today. Check which devices can use the 5g band and use that for your most important connections if you get adequate range. If not we can talk about adding an access point which will handle it for certain.

Bob Silver
post #94 of 673 Old 01-05-2014, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post

I live in a single story ranch where my router sits under my desk..
Do you wear a lead-lined jockstrap or no longer want children? biggrin.gif

Kidding aside... Why do you handicap your WiFi signal by placing your router under a desk?
post #95 of 673 Old 01-05-2014, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Bob,

I just set up my new R7000. Everything seems to be working fine. Connected to desktop, wireless printer, Windows 8 cell phone and ipad. My question is, why is there an orange light blinking on the ethernet connection port that links the router to the desktop.  I am using a very old cat 5 cable from my very old former router. Is it that? Thank you.

post #96 of 673 Old 01-05-2014, 06:02 PM

Thanks Bob. I'll let you and those that follow this thread how I fair using the R7000.
post #97 of 673 Old 01-05-2014, 07:20 PM

I too want to thank you Bob for all the effort you put into seeking answers from the PM to all the questions you're getting on this post. I'll love it if I can get the cloud feature working.

I've tried creating a seperate iTunes library on my R7000 drive and am currently downloading all my music stored on iTunes Match to the attached USB drive. Man, is it slow. It's a little over 6,000 songs and, in 3 hours, it's only half way through. If I knew how slow it was going to be, I would have preloaded the music in a folder on that drive first and direct iTunes to just add and organize from that folder. It would have been a lot faster than downloading them. And I have a fast connection too (50Gbps) so it's weird how it can be so slow. In total, it's 63GB worth of music so it shouldn't take 6 hours to download them. Perhaps because it's not piped directly to the drive but needs to go through the PC first. Don't know. Surprising, using this method has been very slow but I dare not interrupt it now. Anyway, I don't know if creating a full iTunes library on the router drive was the right approach but thought I'd try it. Will be curious what the Netgear PM suggests.

On that note, I did have it working with a few flac files I had previously loaded on the drive in a folder named music. I had the iTunes server turned on and the R7000 found the flac files and they showed up in iTunes in the sidebar "shared" folder. iTunes even played the flac files perfectly as WAV files. I'm thinking that the R7000 doesn't need to see an actual iTunes library at all and just scans the drive for music files. However, when I did this initially, some files were listed that were no longer (had been deleted) on that drive and I couldn't find how to force the R7000 to rescan the media. According to the "help" feature on the router's admin site, there's supposed to be a media rescan button. But there wasn't. I turned the iTunes server option off and started doing what I described above (creating a seperate and full iTunes library). I guess in roughly 3 hours, I'll know what happens when I switch the iTunes server back on. A little scary but I'll post what happens.

Thanks,
Larry
post #98 of 673 Old 01-06-2014, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecurrie View Post

Bob,
I just set up my new R7000. Everything seems to be working fine. Connected to desktop, wireless printer, Windows 8 cell phone and ipad. My question is, why is there an orange light blinking on the ethernet connection port that links the router to the desktop.  I am using a very old cat 5 cable from my very old former router. Is it that? Thank you.

The Orange light indicates it is either operating in 10/100 or gigabit. There have been a few reports on this. I am awaiting a call from the product manager and this is on my list of questions. Ill report back when I have details.

Bob
post #99 of 673 Old 01-06-2014, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratmanX View Post

Do you wear a lead-lined jockstrap or no longer want children? biggrin.gif

Kidding aside... Why do you handicap your WiFi signal by placing your router under a desk?

I know I am a bad example of where not to place a wireless router. I have a lot of gear here in my office and all my network connections terminate at my office desk area. It is just much easier to have the router there since I am always swapping it out for something else to try or review. Plus I can see all the activity lights at a glance so I know what is happening.

I also use 2 access points in the house so my wifi coverage is solid even with this handicap. But even that said the wifi coverage is still pretty good from the main router under the desk which I will add sits in between 2 desktop tower pc's.

I think the saying is the shoemakers kids go barefoot..........

Bob
post #100 of 673 Old 01-06-2014, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Bob,

1st question: You stated in your review that the R7000 (AC1900) has the Netgear ReadyShare Cloud option. The cloud option is not listed anywhere in Netgear's Genie, neither Basic nor Advanced settings, (only the 3 ticks: Basic, ReadyShare Vault, and ReadyShare Print Server) and after speaking with a Netgear tech, he said the R7000 is not compatible with ReadyShare Cloud. The tech steered me to this link -- http://www.netgear.com/landing/en-us/readyshare.aspx, and pointed me to the fact that the R7000 is not listed as a compatible router model and therefore does not support the ReadyShare Cloud. I'm running the latest router firmware and, like I said, there is no option in any of the router settings to set up ReadyShare Cloud.

Hi Larry,

Just got word from the Product Manager that Ready Share Cloud is being replaced with a new cloud based service. He is on his way to CES this week so it may be a week before I can get a detailed converstaion with him. But there will be a cloud service available.

In the meantime if you need file access you can FTP into the router and drives. This is less easy then the dedicated software but will work for you in the meantime.

Ill be back with more details as I have them.

Bob Silver
post #101 of 673 Old 01-06-2014, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I too want to thank you Bob for all the effort you put into seeking answers from the PM to all the questions you're getting on this post. I'll love it if I can get the cloud feature working.

I've tried creating a seperate iTunes library on my R7000 drive and am currently downloading all my music stored on iTunes Match to the attached USB drive. Man, is it slow. It's a little over 6,000 songs and, in 3 hours, it's only half way through. If I knew how slow it was going to be, I would have preloaded the music in a folder on that drive first and direct iTunes to just add and organize from that folder. It would have been a lot faster than downloading them. And I have a fast connection too (50Gbps) so it's weird how it can be so slow. In total, it's 63GB worth of music so it shouldn't take 6 hours to download them. Perhaps because it's not piped directly to the drive but needs to go through the PC first. Don't know. Surprising, using this method has been very slow but I dare not interrupt it now. Anyway, I don't know if creating a full iTunes library on the router drive was the right approach but thought I'd try it. Will be curious what the Netgear PM suggests.

On that note, I did have it working with a few flac files I had previously loaded on the drive in a folder named music. I had the iTunes server turned on and the R7000 found the flac files and they showed up in iTunes in the sidebar "shared" folder. iTunes even played the flac files perfectly as WAV files. I'm thinking that the R7000 doesn't need to see an actual iTunes library at all and just scans the drive for music files. However, when I did this initially, some files were listed that were no longer (had been deleted) on that drive and I couldn't find how to force the R7000 to rescan the media. According to the "help" feature on the router's admin site, there's supposed to be a media rescan button. But there wasn't. I turned the iTunes server option off and started doing what I described above (creating a seperate and full iTunes library). I guess in roughly 3 hours, I'll know what happens when I switch the iTunes server back on. A little scary but I'll post what happens.

Thanks,
Larry

Hi Larry,

Thanks for this info. I created a new music folder and copied a bunch of my music over to it. I hadnt started the scan as I was heading out of town and was having issues with some port forwards I needed. I am in this week and will have time to set up the R7000 from scratch again and see how it goes.

It makes sense that the R7000 is scanning and creating a new iTunes library file. But I am waiting for a call from the PM about this to clarify.

The slow copy speeds doesnt surprise me as I am sure that the many paths it must take will slow things down.

But I agree. Just let it do its thing. Look forward to your results.

Oh its interesting that the R7000 would convert Flac files to WAV. The fact that itunes doesnt play FLAC has always been a disappointment to me. Like to see this myself. I have a large FLAC library.

Bob Silver
post #102 of 673 Old 01-06-2014, 11:58 AM

Hi Bob,

Regarding the orange light on the R7000 router's ethernet connection to the desktop, I ordered cat 6 ethernet cables from Amazon to update any cables I have. It can't hurt. I have a feeling the old cable I am using is not adequate for this power packed R7000.

post #103 of 673 Old 01-06-2014, 05:35 PM

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the upcoming cloud information. Hopefully good news from Netgear.

I went to bed and haven't been home yet today to try the iTunes library I manually created on the R7000 drive but I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm beginning to think I didn't even need to create an iTunes library on the R7000 drive. All it likely needed was a music folder. Heck, when you think about it, a separate iTunes library can be created on any network drive, using any router. So I have to believe what makes the Netgear R7000 unique is that it recognizes music files and gives iTunes and Airplay access to them. What I've done by creating an actual iTunes library might just confuse the R7000 and break my main library. Hope not. I gave the iTunes library I created a unique name, "Network iTunes" so hopefully it won't interfere with my main iTunes library stored on my PC.

Before I did any of the above, the R7000 was already recognizing my music when it was just in a simple music folder with artist-named subfolders on that drive. Like I said, it showed up as a shared library in the iTunes sidebar on my wireless laptop (with the ability to play FLAC files no less). To be honest, I'm a little afraid of what it will do with an actual iTunes library (file structure) loaded on it. I might have been on the right track with just the simple music folder.

Before I turn on the iTunes Server on the R7000, I might first try moving all of the iTunes specific files (library files, hidden files, artwork folder, etc) to another drive and leave only the folder containing the music. I might be overthinking this but once I switch on the R7000 iTunes Server, it might be too late, especially with no apparent way (that I've discovered anyway) of rescanning the drive.

Anyway, I will keep you posted.

Larry
post #104 of 673 Old 01-06-2014, 09:05 PM

OK, I'm giving you the play by play here - the R7000 is truly a beautiful piece of hardware. Before I tell you what I did, I should give you a brief (or not so brief) history. When I first purchased the R7000 a few weeks ago, I also purchased a Macbook Pro and created a complete iTunes library on one of those portable Seagate external drives to use on my new Macbook while traveling. My Macbook Pro doesn't have a humongous HD, only 256GB SSD so I needed to store the large library externally. I then had the bright idea that I could also hook this same drive up to my Netgear R7000 when at home to stream music without having my desktop PC turned on. Making sense so far? It sounded like that would be a great setup, right? Well, problems started arising after I hooked the portable Seagate drive up to the R7000, turned on the iTunes Server in the R7000, entered the remote code from the iPhone app, and everything I thought I knew to do. I immediately saw the R7000 pop up on my iPhone's Remote app as a legitimate iTunes library, the music was all there, however, it was all grayed out and wouldn't play. Since I can sometimes lack patience, I thought something was wrong and gave up, probably too quickly, when likely all the R7000 was doing was indexing the drive and needed more time...we're talking over 6,000 songs. So in my haste, I disconnected the drive, using the proper method through "disconnect USB" in the router admin screen of course. When I reconnected the drive to my Macbook Pro, it had no idea where the songs were and when I checked my iTunes preferences, I discovered it had automatically changed it's media folder location to the Readyshare drive. Why this happened, I don;t know. A bunch of exclamation marks were slowly appearing next to each song in my library. It gets worse. My "main" iTunes library stored on my desktop PC was also broken and it too was searching for the Readyshare drive instead of the local hard drive I have it stored on. I thought, what the...? After hours of recreating and repairing both libraries, I was able to get things back to normal again and swore I would never try this again. And looking for answers on the web, I came up with very little. They talk about how to turn the server on but don't explain what the file structure needs to be or whether the R7000 even needs an existing iTunes library on it. It appears it only needs to be music stored in any folder on the R7000-attached drive - I suspect the R7000 will eventually find it.

My experience above is why it gave me great hesitation to create a separate iTunes library on my Readyshare drive and switch the iTunes Media Server on. I believe the key is to NOT create a separate iTunes library - the R7000 doesn't need one and it will only confuse any other iTunes library you have on the same network. The R7000 creates its own database of files and imbedded artwork after scanning any music (even FLAC files) on your R7000-attached hard drive.

Because of this horrible experience, I did what I said I was going to do after letting iTunes create another library on the R7000 drive. I cut and pasted all of the iTunes library files I just had iTunes create and pasted them to another location on a completely different drive and left only the "music" folder, containing music only, on my R7000-attached drive. I know iTunes is finicky about messing around with its files and I may never get the library to work with iTunes but I had many other backups so I wash;t concerned and was bent to find the solution. Besides, thought this was less risky than having every iTunes library on my network start changing its media location. I have yet to turn the Readyshare iTunes Media Server on but I left the basic Readyshare Media Server turned on. On my PC, I looked at the hidden ".ReadyDNLA" folder and digging deep inside it, I found a subfolder named "artwork" and a file named "files.db." I opened the files.db file in notepad and after a few minutes, a lot of gibberish appeared with hundreds of song names mixed in so I knew it was locating them. This is where I hope I didn't screw up as the R7000 was still indexing when I opened it in notepad. Probably not too wise. I exited and saw that the "files.db" was updating every minute in sync with my system clock so it was obviously updating the database as I watched. Like I said, I hope opening it didn't screw it up. Dumb, dumb, dumb. But I can always start over again if it behaves quirky on me. I then dug further inside the artwork folder and saw two folders named exactly as they are on my R7000-attached drive that contained my music. There are plenty of other folders on this drive but only two contain music, one contains FLAC files and the other contains my iTunes music I just had iTunes create. In each of these artwork subfolders, other subfolders containing jpg files were being added (as I watched) for each artist in my library. It finished adding files about a half hour ago. I believe the key here is to NOT create an iTunes library, unless you want to do that to organize the music in the typical iTunes file structure. If you do go this route, you may want to delete or move the iTunes admin files like the library.itl file, playlist files, and EVERYTHING else except for the music folder itself. I strongly feel you need to do this before turning the iTunes Media Server on to avoid creating confusion on your network and possibly breaking your other iTunes libraries. It appears in my very first test anyway, that regardless how your music is organized, the R7000 will find it, add it to its database, and create artwork subfolders for each artist/album. As you said Bob, it's basically creating its own iTunes library. That's my suspicion too.

I just turned the iTunes Media Server on in the R7000 admin console, hit apply, then added the R7000 media server to my iPhone and entered the remote code into the admin console and hit apply again. I hate to end this long post without a satisfactory conclusion but all I see are some of the FLAC files (very strange). I'll give it more time to index but it's not so far what I expected, especially since I literally saw the files updating themselves and adding artwork folders in Windows' file explorer. This is an awfully long post and I apologize for all the unnecessary fluff but I wanted to share my previous experience before anyone else tried what I previously tried and broke all their network-connected libraries. I may have to start from square one as I tried this several different ways already and the database in the R7000 may be corrupted, especially after I stupidly opened it while it was indexing. I may have to turn off the media server, disconnect the drive, delete the ".ReadyDNLA" folder and all other R7000-associated files, then reconnect the drive and let the R7000 recreate its own files again. That or the iTunes file structure is not what the R7000 needs. My FLAC files are only one subfolder deep, organized by artist. The iTunes structure can create many subfolders, artist, album, genre, etc.

Thanks for everyone's patience, especially those who just read this painfully long post, only to find very little in the form of a conclusion. I do know this much. From day one, I never moved the FLAC files on this drive and it found those and they're all I'm seeing appear now. Perhaps the R7000 database is toast from all my previous attempts. So starting from square one may be the solution. Or perhaps I just need to give it more time. I literally just turned the iTunes Media Server on and came back to finish this post. I'll certainly share any other developments I find. Just the fact that it recognizes and plays FLAC files in iTunes is pretty damn exciting.

If anyone else has better luck, please share.

Thanks,
Larry
post #105 of 673 Old 01-06-2014, 09:15 PM

Good news, given a little more time, it is now listing all of my iTunes music as well as the FLAC files. The artwork hasn't shown up yet but I'll give it more time as this appears to be working so far. I'll keep everyone posted.

Larry
post #106 of 673 Old 01-06-2014, 09:29 PM

Artwork is showing up....yippee! Like I said, the R7000 is one beautiful piece of hardware.

No iTunes library needed, just the music files in any file structure you want. The R7000 will find them. Have fun!

Larry
post #107 of 673 Old 01-06-2014, 09:50 PM

This is a FLAC file playing. Note the "R7000" under the sidebar "shared" library and also note that the FLAC files don't have artwork (not unusual) but all MP3 and AAC files do have the album artwork. If I attached it correctly, here's a screenshot of the iTunes opened on my Macbook.
post #108 of 673 Old 01-06-2014, 09:55 PM

Here's the screenshot referred to in my previous post.
post #109 of 673 Old 01-07-2014, 01:39 PM

Bob, I hate to bug you, but did you get a chance to read my post here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1493322/netgear-r7000-nighthawk-ac1900-router-review-and-comments-thread/60#post_24146317

I meant R7000 in the above post of course, not N7000, but I'd love your opinion(s) if possible.

Thanks
~ Brad
post #110 of 673 Old 01-08-2014, 08:08 AM

I am uploading a diagram of my house and the kind of coverage I am getting with R7000. Please see and comment ! I am greatly disappointed.

post #111 of 673 Old 01-08-2014, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by likethesky View Post

Hi Bob ~

Thanks for all the great N7000 info & help.

Considering buying this unit and wanting to use it to create a roaming net via Ethernet (CAT 5e primarily, which has already been laid), to a couple of Apple Time Capsules and possibly an AirPort Extreme as well.

None of the Apple products are ac, they are all n speed devices. What do you recommend?

We have a set of two homes, connected by said CAT 5e, each of which has 2 additional units (tenants) below, most of which also have CAT 5e to them as well.

Thanks for any advice.

My plan would be the N7000 in a central location (in office of home 1 with window facing across from 2nd home), feeding most of the upstairs of that home, with the Ethernet to the other home with a TimeCapsule there (roaming net if needed), and possibly another TimeCapsule in the main home as well--far in the back bedroom there, if needed) for the wireless TimeMachine backup (rather not buy another external HD to hookup to N7000 if I can avoid it, but will consider, if perf would be dramatically better).

Possibly another AirPort Extreme in one of he downstairs units, etc.

Let me know what you think.

Happy New Year!

Cheers
~ Brad

Hi Brad,

Lets see if I understand what you are asking. You have 2 homes where you have a cat5 wire that runs between them so you have one common network between them. You want a router that will give you wireless coverage throughout the 2 homes. You also have a few MacTime capsules you want on the network and have an Airport Extreme.

So here is my suggestion. Since you have the cat 5 between the houses what you should do is set up a main router, (R7000) as the central network device connecting to the interent (cable,DSL whatever). Then use the cat 5 between the homes to set upanother router as an access point in the other home. You set the SSID's the same (we can discuss more later how to do this. Plus I have written about this many times and this is much on the forum too). This will give you wireless coverage between both homes. If you have any signal drop off you can add a second access point or more as needed. This also has the beefit of adding more radio bandwidth in your homes so it can handle multiple devices more effectively by not sharing available bandwidth. It is the best of all possible solutions.

So now what router top buy? The R7000 is a breakthrough product at a very reasonable price. While you have no AC clients today that is a matter of time. Buying the R7000 ensures you wont need a router upgrade for years. It will be a good investment. For the access points you can use your existing router which by settings would be converted to act as an access point. Or you can get another router to do the same. If you want AC throughout you can get the Netgear R6100 or R6200. Your call. Re purposing old equipment for an access point is always nice. I use my original Netgear WNDR3700 which must be 5 years old!

Let me know if you have other questions.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant
post #112 of 673 Old 01-08-2014, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post

I am uploading a diagram of my house and the kind of coverage I am getting with R7000. Please see and comment ! I am greatly disappointed.

You are going through 4 walls to your area of low signal strength. Have you tried elevating the router? Is it possible to move the router to another area more central?

Your distance shouldn't be an issue. I have used it with 100 feet. Have you tried using the 5ghz band? Your S4's have AC clients built in. Try that.

Also I suspect between where you show the router and the layout I you have a kitchen in between. Also what other obstructions do you have? Is there much metal, electronics other RF interference?

The R7000 is one of the most powerful routers on the market. I think you need to experiment where it is placed. Ideally being in the center of the home would be best. But I know that always isnt possible.

Let us know what you try.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant
post #113 of 673 Old 01-08-2014, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Here's the screenshot referred to in my previous post.

Thanks for this!

Bob Silver
post #114 of 673 Old 01-08-2014, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Artwork is showing up....yippee! Like I said, the R7000 is one beautiful piece of hardware.

No iTunes library needed, just the music files in any file structure you want. The R7000 will find them. Have fun!

Larry

Thanks Larry for the update. Later this week I will be doing my own swap to get my library up. Glad to see it worked out. How long did it take to scan and build the library? I am look at 20k songs on mine.

Bob Silver
post #115 of 673 Old 01-08-2014, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the upcoming cloud information. Hopefully good news from Netgear.

I went to bed and haven't been home yet today to try the iTunes library I manually created on the R7000 drive but I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm beginning to think I didn't even need to create an iTunes library on the R7000 drive. All it likely needed was a music folder. Heck, when you think about it, a separate iTunes library can be created on any network drive, using any router. So I have to believe what makes the Netgear R7000 unique is that it recognizes music files and gives iTunes and Airplay access to them. What I've done by creating an actual iTunes library might just confuse the R7000 and break my main library. Hope not. I gave the iTunes library I created a unique name, "Network iTunes" so hopefully it won't interfere with my main iTunes library stored on my PC.

Before I did any of the above, the R7000 was already recognizing my music when it was just in a simple music folder with artist-named subfolders on that drive. Like I said, it showed up as a shared library in the iTunes sidebar on my wireless laptop (with the ability to play FLAC files no less). To be honest, I'm a little afraid of what it will do with an actual iTunes library (file structure) loaded on it. I might have been on the right track with just the simple music folder.

Before I turn on the iTunes Server on the R7000, I might first try moving all of the iTunes specific files (library files, hidden files, artwork folder, etc) to another drive and leave only the folder containing the music. I might be overthinking this but once I switch on the R7000 iTunes Server, it might be too late, especially with no apparent way (that I've discovered anyway) of rescanning the drive.

Anyway, I will keep you posted.

Larry

Hey Larry,

Netgear announced at CES a new cloud service. My guess is they will unite the ReadyNas cloud with the routers. It has been separate which never made sense to me. It will be next week sometime before I speak to the PM and get details. But I wanted you to know what was announced.

Bob
post #116 of 673 Old 01-08-2014, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

This is a FLAC file playing. Note the "R7000" under the sidebar "shared" library and also note that the FLAC files don't have artwork (not unusual) but all MP3 and AAC files do have the album artwork. If I attached it correctly, here's a screenshot of the iTunes opened on my Macbook.

Hey Larry,

Thanks for the explanation on the iTunes setup.

So it would appear the steps are these

1. Copy your music to the attached drive on the R7000
2. Turn iTunes Media On.
3. Go away for a while (or a long while depending on library size)
4. Enjoy your indexed shared itunes library on the R7000.

Did I get it right?

Bob Silver
post #117 of 673 Old 01-08-2014, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Just installed one of these yesterday and so far it does everything I ask it to do. Now, I don't need much though. I am using it as an AP connected to my FiOS modem. I turned off the wireless on my modem. Signal strength is so much better on the 2.4GHz band and the 5GHz band is much stronger than the WNDR3800 I have. Unfortunately the router just dropped $30 on amazon after I bought it. Oh well what can you do.

I am using a HDD I have connected to the netgear for DLNA. I have no trouble playing on my Sharp TV but my Sony S370 has trouble reading everything. I asked this in the Sony thread too but does anybody have any suggestions as to which software and setting I need to use to convert DVDs and blu-rays into a suitable format for the Sony?

Also, one strange thing! I did have a movie on the HDD and I cut power to the router today to move it to a UPS and the movie files are gone. Anyone have a problem like that before?
post #118 of 673 Old 01-08-2014, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Glad things are working out. Try Handbrake for the DVD conversion. It also does Bluray. It will take a while for the conversions. Kind of like an hour per disc.

Bob Silver
post #119 of 673 Old 01-08-2014, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Bob, tried handbrake. The quality is horrible. With that being said, I haven't tried using a file made in handbrake with the S370. That bd player is very finicky.
post #120 of 673 Old 01-08-2014, 08:54 PM

Bob,

You're steps are exactly right. Thanks for deciphering my long post and summing it up for everyone on this board. Indexing in my case (6,000 songs) took maybe about a half hour or less.

A couple things though is that the album artwork shows up for all the files in my shared iTunes library (except the FLAC files), when accessed from the actual iTunes program installed on my wifi-connected laptop but not on the remote app on either my iPad or iPhone. Don't know if that's to be expected since I know for a fact it did carry over the artwork jpegs from the library. It will also play through airplay from my iPad, iPhone, and laptop to the AppleTV just fine, but shows artwork only when played from the wireless laptop.

On my desktop PC, which is CAT5 connected to the router, the "shared" library does not show up at all. I literally don't have access to it from that PC. Not sure if that's normal. I did try signing out and back into my Apple account from that PC, turned Home Sharing off and back on again, but the shared library never showed up. So, in my setup, the shared library only shows up on my wifi-connected laptop and my iPhone and iPad remote app.

I'm left with the question of whether the R7000 would have recognized my iTunes playlist file had I left it on the hard drive. I removed it and all the other iTunes library files before indexing so I don't believe I can just put it back now. Besides, it's working and I'd probably have to go nuclear, connect the drive directly to my computer, delete the Readyshare folders, hook the drive back up to the R7000, and let it recreate all of its database files. I may get bold enough at some point to try that.

I only question the playlists capability because 3 playlists are showing up on my iPhone and iPad remote app but they weren't playlists I ever created in iTunes so I don't know where they came from or if the R7000 created them. The 3 playlists are artist's names and they do contain a few songs, but not all from that particular artist...just random playlists it appears. I suspect the database may be a little screwed up from all my earlier attempts. It's working and plays everything in my iTunes library including the FLAC files so I'm very happy with what I have so far. Just curious about those playlists and why the library doesn't show up on the CAT5-connected PC.

Oh, I believe the FLAC files are not only showing up on my laptop, but also on the remote app, but since the remote app doesn't identify the "type" of file, it's difficult to tell which one is playing, other than listening for any increased fidelity. I only know they are there because I have doubles of those particular tracks, where I have one in MP3 and one in FLAC. They actually organized under the same artist and album, which is cool. I didn't think FLAC files contained any metadata information so I didn't expect the R7000 to organize them as well as it did.

If the PM provides what iTunes files, if any, the R7000 understands, maybe that'll shed some light on the playlist question. And the PM may also know why the CAT5-connected PC wouldn't see the shared library. Have fun, truly a cool feature of this router.

Thanks,
Larry
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Netgear R7000 100pas Ac1900 Gig Router
Gear in this thread - R7000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page