Netgear R7000 Nighthawk AC1900 Router Review and Comments Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 709 Old 01-27-2014, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Beta FW uploaded. so far so good. no drops, hiccups etc. Will keep you posted but so far so good for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 709 Old 01-27-2014, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are all the Airplay issues resolved with the beta firmware?
post #183 of 709 Old 01-28-2014, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I haven't tried the airplay but I spoke too soon on the QOS. QOS still has some issues. It recognized my streaming NHL Gamecenter on my XBox and automatically added the XBox to the downstream QOS list. However, about every 15-20 minutes or so I get booted from XBox Live, dropping me from my streaming and requiring me to log back in to XBox Live. With QOS off, this does not happen.

This is EXACTLY why Netgear should be releasing some of these bets for general consumption. So people can find some of the bugs that may get missed during their own testing.
post #184 of 709 Old 01-28-2014, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Chuck I have forwarded your QOS Xbox bug on to Netgear engineering.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant
post #185 of 709 Old 01-28-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Bob. I also sent an email to the an R7000 email that is listed on a couple of the pinned thread at the Netgear forums, detailing the issue, as well.
post #186 of 709 Old 01-28-2014, 09:25 PM

Where can I get the beta FW mentioned earlier?

Edit: There was too much crazy here, let me shorten things up.  On my local network, transfering files between androids, laptop, and usb 3.0hd connected to router would be...???  When transferrring a movie to a shared folder on my laptop from my Nexus 7 was achingly slow (300-800kbps).  FTP to my HD was 12+mbs. HD to that same shared folder on my laptop waas 8+mbs though.  What am I doing wrong when transferring from Android to Shared folder on my laptop??  In general, are there any recommendations when initially setting up the router?  Any help would be appreciated (I'm looking at you Bob).

post #187 of 709 Old 01-29-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post

Dear Bob,

thanks for the reply. The signal dropping behavior so far I have only observed with my wifi G laptop, and it is very occasional. Secondly, regarding the channels, I found using inSSIDer that channel 6 is the least crowded (no overlaps at all) as most neighboring networks are either on channel 1 or 11. Thirdly regarding the adapter, the netgear adapter you recommended is usb 2.0 adapter, so theoretically wouldn't its speed be limited to 480mbps on usb 2.0 port. Compared to that is this a better option: http://www.amazon.com/Edimax-Wireless-AC1200-Adapter-EW-7822UAC/dp/B00BVRQEKG/ref=pd_cp_pc_1 . Since it is a usb 3.0 adapter and theoretical usb 3 bandwidth is upto 5 gbps. 

And also regarding the range of this router, my old linksys WRT54G (wifi G) router seems to easily match it.

Lastly, the manual of the router suggests to keep the 1st and 3rd antenna at 45 degrees angle for best performance. But what I have observed is upto a certain distance in my home (say 30-40 feet), keeping the 1st and 3rd antenna slightly outwards from 90 degrees gives better reception, but beyond that distance the 45 degrees arrangement seems better. I fail to understand this behavior and am confused how to set the antennas?

@Bob please see and reply?

post #188 of 709 Old 01-29-2014, 09:15 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chener View Post

Are all the Airplay issues resolved with the beta firmware?

Unfortunately not. Here's Netgear's response to me with regards to the Airplay/iTunes sharing bug I've been working with them on:

"Sorry for the delayed response. And much appreciated your further test setup information. Yes, the beta firmware V1.0.2.241 you referred to does not fix the AirPlay/iTunes Home Sharing for Bridge mode.
This issue relates to the compatibility between NETGEAR’s bridge mode design and the Apple’s proprietary protocol. We’re sorry but this may not be a quick fix. We’re currently investigating the solution and will update to you once there is progress. Thank you and please let me know if any questions or concerns."
post #189 of 709 Old 01-29-2014, 10:06 AM

Liked: 12
I'm noticing DHCP bugs in FW v.1.0.2.241. Some of my devices aren't showing up in 'attached devices' section, even though they have IP's and I can connect to them on my lan.

Also so far all the firmwares I've tried have device name bugs under 'attached devices' section, sometimes a new device copies another devices name. Or the wrong names get tagged to the wrong devices. I also have some with no names, even though they should have them.

192.168.1.50 and .60 are both ESXI servers. But one got labled as another chromecast lol. the 192.168.1.50 ESXI server has a windows 8 VM that is at 192.168.1.51, but it's missing from the list. I also have a router turned managed switch (E4200 w/ tomato) that is 192.168.1.2 that is now missing with this firmware. I power cycled all the devices and things are still weird.
post #190 of 709 Old 01-29-2014, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post

@Bob please see and reply?

The only thing I can think of why you are having the issue with your laptop is due to the G client. The fact is its very old. The newer technology while backward compatible has to adjust to the G limitations. Could be as the router switches from accommodating the laptop to another device it drops the laptop. I would suggest this. Use your old G router as an access point. Set it up with a unique SSID. And use it for your laptop. Use the R7000 for everything else.

Good luck.

Bob
post #191 of 709 Old 01-29-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post

The only thing I can think of why you are having the issue with your laptop is due to the G client. The fact is its very old. The newer technology while backward compatible has to adjust to the G limitations. Could be as the router switches from accommodating the laptop to another device it drops the laptop. I would suggest this. Use your old G router as an access point. Set it up with a unique SSID. And use it for your laptop. Use the R7000 for everything else.

Good luck.

Bob

Hi Bob do you think you could post up the beta firmware version R7000-V1.0.3.12_1.1.18.chk that Negear pushed out a couple days ago? Someone on DD-WRT is running it but hasn't posted a link to it. Thanks!!! It would be much appreciated, I believe wifi degradation is one of the fixes in the 1.0.3 branch.
post #192 of 709 Old 01-29-2014, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have requested the latest firmware from Netgear. Will post when I get a link.

Bob
post #193 of 709 Old 01-29-2014, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

BetaFirmware Update

Netgear will be releasing the new firmware late February. Here is a link to the latest firmware. I will update this post with the current beta firmware as I get it from Netgear.

You can download the beta FW v.1.0.2.241 at the following link: This firmware does support Beam Forming and I believe Smart Connect.

http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=Vb0ek63nGC

Here is beta firmware FW V1.0.3.12

http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=sDlXueLxJQ

Be aware that this is beta firmware and still has bugs. Netgear is testing this firmware now. If you like you can report bugs or issues here and I will forward to Netgear.

More when I have it.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant
RogerSC likes this.
post #194 of 709 Old 01-29-2014, 02:07 PM

Awesome, thanks!
post #195 of 709 Old 01-29-2014, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverge View Post

I'm noticing DHCP bugs in FW v.1.0.2.241. Some of my devices aren't showing up in 'attached devices' section, even though they have IP's and I can connect to them on my lan.

I am seeing this as well initially. However, once I access them, they start showing on the list. I have a couple LAN based WD harddrives and when I rebooted the router, I only saw one but could goto the ip of both. Once I went to the IP of the one not showing, it popped up on the list after refreshing it.

I'm gonna try the updated beta firmware and see how this does. Thanks Bob for the update.

**EDIT**

Well first thing I noticed with the latest firmware is that it is EXTREMELY flaky with my XBox, with or without QOS. With QOS it managed to connect and I started streaming an it immediately stopped and hung. I turned QOS off and rebooted the router(cause it wouldn;t even connect) and it mostly connects to XBox Live but it took 3 restarts to finally get it to connect to NHL Gamecenter.

I'd be careful with the 1.0.3 version. Seems very rough.

**EDIT 2**

After doing a second hard reset(hold reset for 7 seconds... did this before updating and after the first time), it seems more stable this time. I am running with QOS on and the XBox seems ok but I need to let it play for 15-20 minutes to see if it drops connection again.

**EDIT 3**

While things are more stable, the XBox still drops it's connection about 15 minutes into streaming, with QOS on. Otherwise, since doing the second hard reset, things seem similar to the prior beta.
post #196 of 709 Old 01-29-2014, 05:23 PM

Bob is the V1.0.3.12 the newer of the two hence the higher version?

sorry strike that, I see the upload date as today.

Btw, no reboot reset for me. Loaded it up and fired away and no problems thus far

ymmv
post #197 of 709 Old 01-29-2014, 06:45 PM

Just trying out firmware version V1.0.3.12_1.1.18. Came up fine, noticed that they had added back in the implicit beamforming feature and also airtime fairness. I haven't checked whether beamforming is helpful yet *smlle*, and don't care about airtime fairness at the moment.

The only problem I've run into so far is that I tried the Netgear telnet enabler as usual to look at some nvram variable values, and was not able to successfully run the enabler. It errored out with a send error 10057. So I can't telnet into R7000 using this firmware version. I looked through the firmware to see if they had maybe added a telnet checkbox somewhere else, but didn't see it anywhere.

Anyone else notice this, or should I try the re-upgrade to the firmware, reset, and re-enter my settings path? Or may just go back to .241...

Thanks.
post #198 of 709 Old 01-29-2014, 07:00 PM

Bob,

Quick question regarding a drive attached to the USB 3.0 port of the R7000. I know you should always eject the drive using the router's admin console to avoid any data corruption. However, what happens during a power outage? Or if you cut the power to the router while doing a reboot? I'm asking because I once (not thinking) disconnected the drive without using the proper eject method and the data on the drive was corrupted after that. So bad, in fact, that I ended up reformatting and reloading everything. It was a different drive, a portable USB-powered drive, at the time and now I'm using an AC-powered external drive, if that makes any difference.

This could be a real nightmare considering I'm using this drive as my Time Machine for backups. Is this drive too unstable or unreliable to use for anything but music, movies, and less important stuff? And I'm guessing you better darn well have that data backed up elsewhere. Am I correct in thinking this way or overreacting out of paranoia?

Thanks,
Larry
post #199 of 709 Old 01-29-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerSC View Post

Just trying out firmware version V1.0.3.12_1.1.18...

The only problem I've run into so far is that I tried the Netgear telnet enabler as usual to look at some nvram variable values, and was not able to successfully run the enabler. It errored out with a send error 10057. So I can't telnet into R7000 using this firmware version. I looked through the firmware to see if they had maybe added a telnet checkbox somewhere else, but didn't see it anywhere.

Anyone else notice this, or should I try the re-upgrade to the firmware, reset, and re-enter my settings path? Or may just go back to .241...

Thanks.

Hey RogerSC... you're timing is perfect !!! I followed your instructions regarding Telnet and was successful and having fun poking around in .241. I then upgraded the firmware to 3.12 and ran into the exact same problem ! I was thinking it was something on my end.
post #200 of 709 Old 01-29-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNadeau View Post

Hey RogerSC... you're timing is perfect !!! I followed your instructions regarding Telnet and was successful and having fun poking around in .241. I then upgraded the firmware to 3.12 and ran into the exact same problem ! I was thinking it was something on my end.

Yeah, I was really hoping that they had simply changed from the funky telnet enabler doo-dah to a simple web interface checkbox to enable telnet like everyone has. Oh well, so it goes. Guess I'll stay with this beta until I find a few more problems, and see how it goes.
post #201 of 709 Old 01-29-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerSC View Post

Yeah, I was really hoping that they had simply changed from the funky telnet enabler doo-dah to a simple web interface checkbox to enable telnet like everyone has. Oh well, so it goes. Guess I'll stay with this beta until I find a few more problems, and see how it goes.

That would have been nice ! Also, looks like they disabled http://routerlogin.net/DebugHiddenPage.htm I'm getting the 404 Not Found error now.
post #202 of 709 Old 01-29-2014, 09:11 PM

Hi Bob thanks for the great work your doing to support this router. I am running the latest beta firmware. On my Galaxy S III connected on the 5Ghz band sometimes I will get "your wireless connection is unstable" How can I go about helping out with this issue what information would you need?

post #203 of 709 Old 01-29-2014, 09:34 PM

Great, to find this forum from the netgear forum page. I currently have the Netgear R6300 and just now bought this Nighthawk version ( staples 144 shipped). I'm hoping this Nighthawk is a better performer then the R6300.

Origin - mrmike929
PSN - mrmike929
Steam - mike929
post #204 of 709 Old 01-30-2014, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave197nj View Post

Hi Bob thanks for the great work your doing to support this router. I am running the latest beta firmware. On my Galaxy S III connected on the 5Ghz band sometimes I will get "your wireless connection is unstable" How can I go about helping out with this issue what information would you need?

Just out of interest, I brought up that message and checked the "don't show this message again" on my Galaxy S3 some time ago...it first appeared with Android 4.3, and I know that my wireless is fine. I've had no ill effects from having dismissed this message, and my wireless works consistently with no problems. According to some postings that I've read, booting your phone into recovery mode and wiping the cache will also take care of the message in most cases. This isn't 100%, but has fixed it for several people I've read about. What I'm getting at is that I don't think that this problem is on the R7000 side, I think that it's Android 4.3.
post #205 of 709 Old 01-30-2014, 06:49 AM

V1.0.3.12_1.1.18 has been rock solid for me since I flashed it about 16 hours ago. In fact WiFi is def. improved over release version especially as you get further from the router.
post #206 of 709 Old 01-30-2014, 07:04 AM

My feedback on v1.0.2.241_1.0.17 using it for the last 4 days is as follows:

1.0.2.241_1.0.17 seems to work better for me than 1.0.2.197_1.0.17 as now, basically this is what it fixed for me:

1) the link rate from a Atheros Wireless N 2.4Ghz on the ASUS G74SX notebook is now 150Mbps instead of 75Mbps before.

2) disabling 20/40Mhz co-existence works reliably instead of it working at random before causing luck of the draw connects with frequent disconnects

3) It is not assigning the IP address in LAN Setup to one of the devices and instead, the device is still selecting it's own IP address. Not sure if this was the case with 1.0.2.197_1.0.17 or not.

4) For Port Forwarding, I tried to assign UDP port 5065 start and port 5065 end on the .49 IP but it kept saying it's already in use and I've checked uPnP and everything else but there is no such port listed. This is the exact error:
"Failure

The specified port(s) are being used by the system.The configuration will not take effect until the router restarts. Please power off the router and then power it up to restart the router."

5) ping times from the wireless clients to the router seems to have packet loss and timeouts in this version.

Cheers,
Vince
post #207 of 709 Old 01-30-2014, 09:04 AM

nice!!!! a feature to turn off all of the flashing disco lights on the router !!!!!!!!!!!
post #208 of 709 Old 01-30-2014, 09:27 AM

My feedback on v1.0.3.12_1.1.18 using it for the last 30 minutes is as follows:

1) the link rate from a Atheros Wireless N 2.4Ghz on the ASUS G74SX notebook is now 150Mbps when 20/40Mhz coexist is enabled instead of 75Mbps before with it enabled.

2) disabling 20/40Mhz co-existence works reliably instead of it working at random before causing luck of the draw connects with frequent disconnects

3) It is not assigning the IP address in LAN Setup to one of the devices and instead, the device is still selecting it's own IP address.

4) For Port Forwarding, I tried to assign UDP port 5065 start and port 5065 end on the .49 IP but it kept saying it's already in use and I've checked uPnP and everything else but there is no such port listed. This is the exact error:
"Failure

The specified port(s) are being used by the system.The configuration will not take effect until the router restarts. Please power off the router and then power it up to restart the router."

For whatever reason, this assignment did not exist but exists in the config after the error and I can delete and add it again with no problems.

5) ping times from the wireless clients to the router seems to have packet loss and timeouts in this version and v1.0.2.241_1.0.17:
An example is as follows:
Tracing route to yahoo.com [206.190.36.45]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 289 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 6 ms 8 ms 6 ms x-x-x-1.dsl.static.sonic.net [x.x.x.1]

3 7 ms 7 ms 11 ms 127.at-X-X-X.gw3.200p-sf.sonic.net [208.106.96.1
93]
4 17 ms 480 ms 57 ms 0.ae2.gw.200p-sf.sonic.net [70.36.211.53]
5 10 ms 8 ms 8 ms 0.xe-5-1-0.gw.equinix-sj.sonic.net [208.106.27.1
21]
6 113 ms 170 ms 10 ms PAT1.SJC.yahoo.com [206.223.116.150]
7 29 ms 29 ms 28 ms ae-6.pat1.swp.yahoo.com [216.115.100.94]
8 68 ms 46 ms 32 ms ae-7.pat1.gqb.yahoo.com [216.115.96.45]
9 503 ms 46 ms 47 ms ae-0.msr1.gq1.yahoo.com [66.196.67.1]
10 48 ms 47 ms 48 ms UNKNOWN-67-195-1-X.yahoo.com [67.195.1.183]
11 143 ms 47 ms 51 ms et-18-25.fab8-1-gdc.gq1.yahoo.com [98.137.31.194
]
12 47 ms 47 ms 491 ms po-16.bas1-7-prd.gq1.yahoo.com [206.190.32.27]
13 41 ms 36 ms 33 ms ir1.fp.vip.gq1.yahoo.com [206.190.36.45]

Trace complete.

Hop 1 with 1.0.2.197_1.0.17 was always <2ms and the other hops were all in the 2 digit range.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 305ms, Average = 139ms

6) As RogerSC and JohnNadeau mentioned, the telnet enabler doesn't work in this version

Cheers,
Vince
post #209 of 709 Old 01-30-2014, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2456 View Post

Bob,

Quick question regarding a drive attached to the USB 3.0 port of the R7000. I know you should always eject the drive using the router's admin console to avoid any data corruption. However, what happens during a power outage? Or if you cut the power to the router while doing a reboot? I'm asking because I once (not thinking) disconnected the drive without using the proper eject method and the data on the drive was corrupted after that. So bad, in fact, that I ended up reformatting and reloading everything. It was a different drive, a portable USB-powered drive, at the time and now I'm using an AC-powered external drive, if that makes any difference.

This could be a real nightmare considering I'm using this drive as my Time Machine for backups. Is this drive too unstable or unreliable to use for anything but music, movies, and less important stuff? And I'm guessing you better darn well have that data backed up elsewhere. Am I correct in thinking this way or overreacting out of paranoia?

Thanks,
Larry

Hey Larry

Good questions on the drive. My view is this. USB powered drives for one are generally slower drives due to power consumption issues. Can be fine but wouldn't rely on steaming etc from it. Try and see. External 3.5 powered drives are generally more robust. Regarding the disconnect if the drive is writing then yes you will corrupt the drive. You can try and connect to a PC and check for errors and repair. If it is sitting idle or you are reading from it then you should be fine. The router issue is if you don't dismount and reconnect you will most likely need to reboot the router to see it again. As far as time machine backups you are creating an image of you mac. So real data loss would occur if you lost the drive and your mac failed at the same time. So I think you are ok. If you really want to be certain then I would use 2 backup devices and stagger them in time.

Lastly for everyone I would put the modem router and drive on a ups. This way if you have a power outage you will still maintain internet and avoid crashes.

Bob Silver Netgear AV Consultant
post #210 of 709 Old 01-30-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:

Lastly for everyone I would put the modem router and drive on a ups. This way if you have a power outage you will still maintain internet and avoid crashes.

Bob Silver Netgear AV Consultant

Excellent advice.

Thanks.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Netgear R7000 100pas Ac1900 Gig Router
Gear in this thread - R7000 by PriceGrabber.com