Looking for cold Climate IP camera - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-03-2013, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm new to IP cameras and I've got a wish list of things that I would like it to do.
  1. Night vision
  2. Outdoor and cold climate (coldes is aprox -30 C)
  3. Weather proof Outdoor
  4. PoE

This is for a home project just to make sure that no wild animals or neighbours dogs comes and kills my little flock of chickens and I've seen IP camera going in the range of 3K $ Ideally I would like to be below 1K if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Franky29
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-04-2013, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Mobotix M15 (or the M12, older version of same camera). The mobotix cameras are top quality and can withstand just about any weather condition you can throw at them. You can even install a flash card to record events, no need to have a separate DVR.

But they are pricey, a little more than your stated budget....if you can find a used M12 on EBAY that would work as well. Other mobotix models may also suit your needs, but I only have experience with the M12/M15 line.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-04-2013, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks DanPackMan. I will keep an eye out for the Mobotix cameras on eBay. Hopefully I can find something that will fit my budget.
post #4 of 4 Old 10-07-2013, 02:12 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by franky29 View Post

I'm new to IP cameras and I've got a wish list of things that I would like it to do.
  1. Night vision
  2. Outdoor and cold climate (coldes is aprox -30 C)
  3. Weather proof Outdoor
  4. PoE

This is for a home project just to make sure that no wild animals or neighbours dogs comes and kills my little flock of chickens and I've seen IP camera going in the range of 3K $ Ideally I would like to be below 1K if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Franky29

You might consider Panasonic's Network Cameras... http://panasonicbts.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/31690/Panasonic-Network-Cameras.html

I've been using four of the previous (indoor) version/models (# BL-C131) of the "Pan-Tilt" cameras shown in the link above, to keep an eye on two different residences when I'm not present

They will send me emailed photos if tripped and they can shoot video if tripped also - the motion sensing on the cams was to sensitive and sent to many 'false alarms' - so I changed the trip alerting to infrared/heat sensing and that stopped the false alarm trips - but it was very sensitive also... it sent me photos of bats (flying around in the house) a couple times at one of the residencies located in a very rural area -- but I don't think the current outdoor models offer the heat sensing option

The cams I purchased have a web server feature in them and Panasonic offered a free lifetime DNS (at that time, not sure now), this allows me to log into them for live viewing

The models I use are quite reliable also - they have been running 24/7 for over six years

And you might also consider 'refurbished' models if available - two of my four cams were purchased as refurbished

I don't think these cams meet all of your requirements (ei... PoE and Night Vision) but the cost savings might allow for running power to them and a low wattage night light -- I put a 2 watt LED light on a timer for two of the cams and both cams could 'see' with very good clarity (ie... the bats I mentioned, flying around at night in the house) - but of course you would need a higher wattage outdoor light for your set up

At some point in time I may need to upgrade my cams/system - so please let us know what cam(s) you finally decide on
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page