Media player with "Compressed Header" support for Apple QuickTime Trailers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-05-2013, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a media player, that will play the latest Apple trailers. The problem with those trailers is a feature called "Compressed Header" (according to the MediaInfo tool).

I have allready tried to play them with:

- Asus Oplay R1
- Popcorn Hour a-200
- Netgear NeoTV 550
- Oppo 93

All players have the latest firmware installed. From another forum I know that even the current Popcorn Hour model a-400 is unable to play them. The strange thing is that sattelite receivers like Avanit SHD5 seem to play the files just fine.

Does anyone know a media player that will do it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-05-2013, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I've seen these before and not much plays them, nothing I have passed the test. I'm guessing your after some combo that plays your own files along with the apple trailers.

HTPC running XBMC is likely your best option as they play on PC version of XBMC, alternatively wait for Pivos to release their new XBMC box (not the current XIOS) which they say is coming soon on their forums. The current box doesn't handle them all too well, they play but stutter so it could just be the software needs fine tuning.

What they fail on you can add to the list include Sony GoogleTV, Panasonic smart platform 2013, Boxee Box, PS3.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-06-2013, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thaks for your quick answer. I guess I'll have to go back to programming to finish my downloader and include a 'decompress header on the fly' option...
I just hoped to be able to play the trailers without manipulating the files or spending so much time with the QuickTime File Format definition.

post #4 of 6 Old 10-06-2013, 04:10 AM
Advanced Member

If you run them through MKVmerge that should take care of the problem as they play on a few devices after that, there is a command line version of it so you should be able to add it to your program/process or just use the GUI version.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-07-2013, 02:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
The WDTVs can play back MKVs with header compression since quite some time. Haven't downloaded one trailer from Apple though (isn't that feature removed?).

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #6 of 6 Old 10-07-2013, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

That support might not apply to MP4/M4V/MOV only MKV but I've not tried it out on a WDTV either.

You can grab the trailers from Apple's site unofficially or go to hd-trailers which sometimes offers direct links.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page