Network Media Player To Replace Popcorn Hour C-200 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-05-2013, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
pgg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a C-200 about two years ago, and it just quit. Powers on, but no video out, nothing.

Since buying it, I have not kept up with any of the new models available from anyone.

I'd appreciate some suggestions for a new standalone networked media player. Not interested in rolling my own HTPC. Needed features:

- Ethernet. Don't need wifi; I have hardwired gigabit to that location.

- Play a wide variety of file formats from networked PCs and a NAS box. Mostly .iso rips of movies complete with menus.

- HDMI and/or component video output; optical audio output.

- Plays online sources as well, Netflix, YouTube, etc.

- Needs a Blu-Ray drive as well.

What's the current state of the art?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2013, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 62
First your c200 might be fine and just need a new psu if you have a spare atx power supply from a pc plug it in and test with it.

as for the lastest and greatest you have the popcornhour a400, the dune base 3d and the mede8er 600/1000x3d

The only issue is none of these boxes have full bluray menu support if that is what your iso files are and none of them have a bluray drive nor netflix, most of them have a youtube app.

If you still want full menus and a bluray rom drive. you have to look at the dune smart series or the popcorn hour c300 model as they are the only ones that meet all your requirements except netflix
Old 10-06-2013, 01:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 601
There isn't a media player that can do what you want unless you build an HTPC. The best ISO with full menu media player is the Dune Smart Series.

None of the new media player play BD full menu ISOs.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

Old 10-06-2013, 04:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Cinavia DRM killed off the market of players with BD menus so as the others have said all you have left is increasingly out of date hardware that don't support online media services. I would get a Chromecast dongle for Netflix/Youtube and use that in conjunction with one of the old players.

There is an open source Blu-ray menu project that is making slow progress, its available in VLC and XBMC but not 100% compatible. When you play a BD ISO you will be prompted to play movie or play menus.

It's a lot of ifs but when Google update the GoogleTV platform to v4 it should in theory be able to run XBMC which you would give you a set top box that also does Youtube/Netflix and a BD menu player courtesy of XBMC. But as I said this is a long-shot in many ways, in fact I'm not sure the generic Android version of XBMC can do menus, the Pivos version of XBMC can but they run a different build specific to their hardware, if Pivos in the future did a GoogleTV box with XBMC that would be the closest you could get. At the moment all they run is Android (tablet version) and Netflix/Youtube is messy to use with that and a remote. Pivos do have new hardware coming soon, you could try asking if they have any plans for GTV box.

GoogleTV boxes also have HDMI input so you could hang a basic BD disc player off it as well for that function, anyway it's all a long term thing.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I just recently went through exactly what you are. Looking for the one solution box. Update-=-- it does not exist.

The people who suggest the Dune Smart series are correct. Get one while they are still available.

Then grab a Roku or whatever for your netfilx type media. I got a NEO TV, forget the model but it's one of the few players that supports VUDU full resolution or HD audio, I forget which one now.

I was just reading today that the Netgear 550 plays 1:1 BD .ISO rips flawlessly and supports full menus. Might want to look into that if you don't need the juke box solution.

Also read today, again, that the PCH boxes aren't the greatest for BD .ISO s . YMMV, I've never tried one. Just what I've read over and over and over.

Good luck!

FS- Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
Old 10-06-2013, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

I just recently went through exactly what you are. Looking for the one solution box. Update-=-- it does not exist.

The people who suggest the Dune Smart series are correct. Get one while they are still available.

Then grab a Roku or whatever for your netfilx type media. I got a NEO TV, forget the model but it's one of the few players that supports VUDU full resolution or HD audio, I forget which one now.

I was just reading today that the Netgear 550 plays 1:1 BD .ISO rips flawlessly and supports full menus. Might want to look into that if you don't need the juke box solution.

Also read today, again, that the PCH boxes aren't the greatest for BD .ISO s . YMMV, I've never tried one. Just what I've read over and over and over.

Good luck!

The PCH with full menu support was not as good as DUNES But given he wants a bluray drive his option for the dune smart is kinda limited as it wont play any new retail fox discs, were as the pch will. so its a trade off menu functions better one DUNE series but no retail fox support, pch menus can be slow but has fox support. There is strengths and weakness in both.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
pgg

Thank you all.

Did some troubleshooting with Cloud Media and my C-200 is dead. They'll fix it for $50 so I think I'll just go that way for starters.

Looking into the others also. smile.gif
Old 12-07-2013, 12:13 AM

Hi,

Did you happen to find out what the problem was exactly and what part they're replacing?

I think my main board needs to be replaced, so I was just curious.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
pgg, I also am in the same situation as you.
btw, does your popcorn download media art and does it play Blu ray (with or without menus?).
I was thinking of buying one popcorn c200 for another room.

I just ordered a vidon.me player

You can check it out.. Not sure if it has everything you need. I placed a pre order and it has not arrived yet..