Help with native dvd/BR folder streaming - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-08-2013, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
My dvds/BR are backed up via ripping to native folder structure: (VIDEO_TS with .vob & BDMV with .m2ts). These sit on my HTPC downstairs. I use WMC7 and powerdvd to play them on the tv it sits next to. This worked fine in my apt when it was the only pc. But now I just bought a house and have never done so much research to try and figure out the best way to stream these movies all over the house. Mainly the living and bedroom.

Here's the catch (I know I am not unique with this): I don't want to transcode/mux/convert/touch these files in any way. I could back up to ISO but that's it.

I keep coming back to the WDTV live smp. WD's dedication is great, however, in a BR folder or ISO it will only play the first or largest .m2ts file. This won't work because many movies are split among multiple .m2ts.

The other player that claims to do what I want is the KDlinks HD700. Any comments about this player?

The other is the Dune, but out of my price range.

Other info:
I tried DLNA streaming using plex and Serviio on the source pc (server) with the clients being my blu ray player (Sony BDP3100) and my xbox360. 360 choked with everything, even with wired ethernet. The sony froze a bit.

The final definitive option is building a dedicated htpc for each tv. I have some spare part abound but this would still set me back close to 3 or $400 for 2 of them.

Any suggestions? Leaving these rips as is or as ISO is really important to me. And looking for a media player that's around $100. Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-08-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 592
The only media player that was sold for about $85 dollars with full ISO support was the Netgear NTV550, which has been discontinued and has no more support and some are being told for $250 now.

So, your options are limited since none of the new media players support full BD ISO. Furthermore, you might have issues with movies that have seamless branching.

So, you answered your own question. Either Dune media players or HTPC. You can give PCH-A210, C200 a try, but I wouldn't recommended. They are a hit or miss type of media players.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #3 of 12 Old 10-08-2013, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

yeah, I was afraid of this
post #4 of 12 Old 10-08-2013, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
VIDEO_TS/BDMV are a bad choice for DLNA which is meant for digital videos e.g mp4, avi, mkv and so on.

Basically a HTPC is really your only viable option for menus on both those formats.

If you stick with the WDTV Live, which will sill give you DVD menus as long as you access them over network servers, for the BDMV run the folder through MakeMKV so it spits out the movie (no conversion) as a standalone movie.mkv file, that will resolve the problem of the wrong title being played, jus do it for the ones that are at fault you dont need to do it for all movies.

Sony BD and Xbox are both terrible media players forget about them.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-08-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post

yeah, I was afraid of this

You should shouldn't be afraid of it lol. I'm actually looking for a second media player. However, I am looking for an ALL-IN-ONE type of media player, and the only media player that will do that is a HTPC. So, I'm waiting for the new NUC haswell to come out to build a small HTPC.

I used to have a lot of BD ISO movies, but I re-ripped them all to main movie only MKV files just because of the issue of none of the new media players supporting full BD ISO's.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #6 of 12 Old 10-08-2013, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Have you checked out the kdlinks? It says it can support BD Iso...

I just wrote to customer support:
" I am interested in the Kdlinks HD700 but have a question. I backup my dvd & blu ray discs in their native folder structure (VIDEO_TS with .vob / BDMV with .m2ts). Will the kdlinks be able to play these files streamed over a network from my computer with full menu support just like playing a dvd/blu ray disc?

I can also rip to ISO if this will make a difference.

Many players will only play the first (or longest) .m2ts file in a folder. (For Blu rays that have multiple .m2ts files in a movie)."

They responded:
"Thank you for contacting us.

Is it a movie disc or TV series disc? For movie, if you rip it into ISO or keep it in BDMV format, the HD700 can play them. MENU is not fully supported, it may require next generation better chipset.

For BD quality movie, even the player can stream it through network, but we still strongly suggest playing them through direct USB connection for better performance."

I don't really care about menu support. I just want it to play from beginning to end with the ability to pause rw, ff or skip chapter.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-08-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you checked out the kdlinks? It says it can support BD Iso...

I just wrote to customer support:
" I am interested in the Kdlinks HD700 but have a question. I backup my dvd & blu ray discs in their native folder structure (VIDEO_TS with .vob / BDMV with .m2ts). Will the kdlinks be able to play these files streamed over a network from my computer with full menu support just like playing a dvd/blu ray disc?

I can also rip to ISO if this will make a difference.

Many players will only play the first (or longest) .m2ts file in a folder. (For Blu rays that have multiple .m2ts files in a movie)."

They responded:
"Thank you for contacting us.

Is it a movie disc or TV series disc? For movie, if you rip it into ISO or keep it in BDMV format, the HD700 can play them. MENU is not fully supported, it may require next generation better chipset.

For BD quality movie, even the player can stream it through network, but we still strongly suggest playing them through direct USB connection for better performance."

I don't really care about menu support. I just want it to play from beginning to end with the ability to pause rw, ff or skip chapter.

Realtek 1186 ship only support BD lite. So, I believe it will give you a list of files and you will have to play the largest file. However, I am not sure if this is correct. There are a few people on this forum who own this player, but I don't believe they use ISO's. If you look at the Mede8er with the 1186 chip it states that it only plays BD lite.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #8 of 12 Old 10-08-2013, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So, what is the opposite of BD lite? BD menu?
post #9 of 12 Old 10-08-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So, what is the opposite of BD lite? BD menu?

BD Lite has no menus, and it gives you a list of files. BD full support gives you the menus just as you would play the disk.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #10 of 12 Old 10-08-2013, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Alright. I'm SOL for now. I guess I will wait until this becomes a little more mainstream. What kind of htpc setup are you putting together?
post #11 of 12 Old 10-08-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Alright. I'm SOL for now. I guess I will wait until this becomes a little more mainstream. What kind of htpc setup are you putting together?

I'm not sure yet, but looking into the Intel NUC.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #12 of 12 Old 10-08-2013, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:

If by "mainstream" you mean waiting for players that will support full BD menus -- that ship has already passed. Older high-end players supported full BD menus. None of the new players support full BD menus and they never will -- the BDA license required to support full menus requires implementation of Cinavia support.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page