Looking for suggestions, please be gentle. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 10-10-2013, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
heavenlydemonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased a couple WD Live Plus media Streamers several years ago and put B.Rad's firmware on them, mainly for the Moviesheets and NFS Support to my NetGear NV+ NAS. The NAS has the SPARC chip as opposed to the x86 version, so loading something like Plex on the NAS is not possible. The WD Lives work great, they are just getting a little long in the tooth, and I have been poking around looking for upgrades.

I am looking for something in the $100 - $200 range that will support the following (if possible). Note: I am aware I can build an HTPC, this doesn't mean I want to. At some point I may go this route so I can play Steam games on my TV, but it's not really something I am interested in at the moment.

* Wired and Wireless, either is fine.

* I would like it to support Movie Sheets if possible, either naively or reading them off the NAS from sheets created with something like Thumbgen. Link

* ReadyDLNA is fine, also CIFS, SAMBA, or NSF Shares would work.

* Netflix and Hulu Plus support would be cool.

* Most of my movies are in SD. I am not really interested in streaming HD or Blu-Ray ISOs at this point. I mainly rip my DVDs and Blu-Rays and store the disc so the 6 year old doesn't destroy them. If the GF and I want to watch a 3D Movie or Blu-Ray, we usually use the BR Player anyway.

* Don't really care about HD Audio options one way or the other, I don't have a receiver, etc.

* Stable Firmware would be nice. I tried a Boxee Box twice, and while I liked the interface, it locked up quite a bit.

* Doesn't need an internal hard drive.

* Support for a majority of the video containers (DivX, XVid, MKV, MP4, etc.)

So that's it. Pretty basic stuff, I suppose. The only thing outside the bare basics which is kind of hard to find is the Movie Sheet stuff =(

I also understand I can research all this myself, and I am, but I thought I would check here as well because the pool of knowledge you guys have is pretty amazing, I would really appreciate hearing your suggestions.
heavenlydemonic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 10-10-2013, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
mrfattbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
How about a newer WD SMP?

Bill
mrfattbill is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 10-10-2013, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
heavenlydemonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

How about a newer WD SMP?

Bill

Sorry, should have mentioned I am trying to get away from WD. Their support (in my experience) was pretty awful, and their firmware releases usually broke more than they fixed. Last Christmas I purchased a 2-Bay NAS and WD Hub for my parents and they have had nothing but problems after catching official WD Updates. We had returned their media streamer twice and always had similar issues with the replacements... IE streams dropping from Netflix and the NAS on a hard line, after the last update media that played fine was no longer working, lack of sub-title support or lagging subs, etc. Their forums are full of people having the same issue so I am inclined to point the finger at the WD Devices and rather poor support.

Not ranting, just stating the facts as I see them.
heavenlydemonic is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 10-10-2013, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
mrfattbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlydemonic View Post

Sorry, should have mentioned I am trying to get away from WD. Their support (in my experience) was pretty awful, and their firmware releases usually broke more than they fixed. Last Christmas I purchased a 2-Bay NAS and WD Hub for my parents and they have had nothing but problems after catching official WD Updates. We had returned their media streamer twice and always had similar issues with the replacements... IE streams dropping from Netflix and the NAS on a hard line, after the last update media that played fine was no longer working, lack of sub-title support or lagging subs, etc. Their forums are full of people having the same issue so I am inclined to point the finger at the WD Devices and rather poor support.

Not ranting, just stating the facts as I see them.

Fair enough, my WDTV's have always treated me well from the b-rad modded Plus' to my current SMP which was the reason for my suggestion. Well that and you can walk into BB and buy one and if it doesn't live up to your expectations return it just as easily. If you want Netflix & Hulu then you will have to purchase a "main stream" device and that will likely limit your local streaming options. Does the NAS has a DLNA client on it, I'm not familar with that one?

Bill
mrfattbill is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 10-10-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
heavenlydemonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

Fair enough, my WDTV's have always treated me well from the b-rad modded Plus' to my current SMP which was the reason for my suggestion. Well that and you can walk into BB and buy one and if it doesn't live up to your expectations return it just as easily. If you want Netflix & Hulu then you will have to purchase a "main stream" device and that will likely limit your local streaming options. Does the NAS has a DLNA client on it, I'm not familar with that one?

Bill

Yep, ReadyDLNA, not sure of the latest version. Yeah that's what we did with the WD I bought for my parents. Let me check B.Rad's site and see if he has CFW for any of the latest WDs. The hardware has always been solid, it's the firmware that I have had issues with in the past. Thanks for taking time for answer my questions, by the way! I appreciate it!
heavenlydemonic is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 10-10-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 9,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

How about a newer WD SMP?

Bill
Yes, I would have also suggested the Live-SMP as doing everything he wanted. About 60% of my viewing is DVD.iso TV series streamed from a couple NAS units and I have very few issues -- a reboot always fixes everything.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 10-10-2013, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
techflaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 989
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlydemonic View Post

after the last update media that played fine was no longer working, lack of sub-title support or lagging subs, etc.
So far all the people that claimed their files weren't working after an update dropped out of the threads when realizing they wouldn't play after a firmware downgrade either. Also, what subtitle support is lacking?

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
techflaws is online now  
post #8 of 14 Old 10-15-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
heavenlydemonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post

So far all the people that claimed their files weren't working after an update dropped out of the threads when realizing they wouldn't play after a firmware downgrade either. Also, what subtitle support is lacking?

I don't believe this is true, as several MVK encapsulated rips of DVDs my parents owned that were created in Handbrake didn't work after the latest firmware update, yet worked great immediately prior to that. Several subs from movies on Netflix lagged or just stopped working on the WD player, but worked just fine on a Sony or Panasonic BR Player. Some examples are:

Woochi
The Sorcerer and the White Snake
Taichi Hero
Taichi Zero

Did you have a suggestion for a media streamer, other than a WD Device?
heavenlydemonic is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 10-15-2013, 04:03 PM
Member
 
harrybnbad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Tampa Bay Area, Florida
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Ya, me too. I'm in need of something that will do 3d and multi channel 7.1 audio. At the same time....Another words. My blu ray rips....
harrybnbad is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 10-17-2013, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
heavenlydemonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrybnbad View Post

Ya, me too. I'm in need of something that will do 3d and multi channel 7.1 audio. At the same time....Another words. My blu ray rips....

If I pick something up that does this and works well, I will post back here. I'm still looking at the moment, not in a huge rush =P
heavenlydemonic is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 10-17-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GusGus748s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Visalia, CA 93291
Posts: 6,315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 592
The top 3 media players Dune, Mede8er and PCH. Mede8er is the top 3D media player. However, it doesn't support force subtitles.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

 

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

GusGus748s is online now  
post #12 of 14 Old 10-18-2013, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
heavenlydemonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

The top 3 media players Dune, Mede8er and PCH. Mede8er is the top 3D media player. However, it doesn't support force subtitles.

Yes, I was looking really hard at the Mede8er 600, and the new PopcornHour. Neither do the standard Netfix / Hulu / etc but I have all those on my Blu-Ray player anyway, or will just pick up a cheap Roku 3 for that stuff. Thanks for the tip!
heavenlydemonic is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 10-18-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GusGus748s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Visalia, CA 93291
Posts: 6,315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlydemonic View Post

Yes, I was looking really hard at the Mede8er 600, and the new PopcornHour. Neither do the standard Netfix / Hulu / etc but I have all those on my Blu-Ray player anyway, or will just pick up a cheap Roku 3 for that stuff. Thanks for the tip!

Unfortunately, none of the top three media players support online streaming apps. At the moment, I am testing the Sony NSZ-GS7 Google TV media player. I use the Plex app to stream my ripped movies to the master bedroom with it. It works excellent, and Plex appears to support flagged forced subtitle tracks. I've tested Avatar, and the subs came up whenever they spoke Navi. I also use Plex to stream movies to my iPads and iPhones, and you can access Plex Media Server outside the network too, but the quality will depend on your internet speed.

The GS7 Google TV's or any android device doesn't support Hulu at the moment. However, they are going to be updating the software soon, and Hulu appears to be supported with it. Another issue with Android devices they do not support HD sound. So, if you need HD sound this will not be the player for you. It would be a good media player for the bedroom though.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

 

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

GusGus748s is online now  
post #14 of 14 Old 10-29-2013, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
heavenlydemonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, GusGus, I appreciate all the suggestions! I ordered a Mede8er 600 mainly based on the comments by people in this forum. It seems great for everything I need!
heavenlydemonic is offline  
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off