I purchased a couple WD Live Plus media Streamers several years ago and put B.Rad's firmware on them, mainly for the Moviesheets and NFS Support to my NetGear NV+ NAS. The NAS has the SPARC chip as opposed to the x86 version, so loading something like Plex on the NAS is not
possible. The WD Lives work great, they are just getting a little long in the tooth, and I have been poking around looking for upgrades.
I am looking for something in the $100 - $200 range that will support the following (if possible). Note
: I am aware I can build an HTPC, this doesn't mean I want to. At some point I may go this route so I can play Steam games on my TV, but it's not really something I am interested in at the moment.
* Wired and Wireless, either is fine.
* I would like it to support Movie Sheets if possible, either naively or reading them off the NAS from sheets created with something like Thumbgen. Link
* ReadyDLNA is fine, also CIFS, SAMBA, or NSF Shares would work.
* Netflix and Hulu Plus support would be cool.
* Most of my movies are in SD. I am not really interested in streaming HD or Blu-Ray ISOs at this point. I mainly rip my DVDs and Blu-Rays and store the disc so the 6 year old doesn't destroy them. If the GF and I want to watch a 3D Movie or Blu-Ray, we usually use the BR Player anyway.
* Don't really care about HD Audio options one way or the other, I don't have a receiver, etc.
* Stable Firmware would be nice. I tried a Boxee Box twice, and while I liked the interface, it locked up quite a bit.
* Doesn't need an internal hard drive.
* Support for a majority of the video containers (DivX, XVid, MKV, MP4, etc.)
So that's it. Pretty basic stuff, I suppose. The only thing outside the bare basics which is kind of hard to find is the Movie Sheet stuff =(
I also understand I can research all this myself, and I am, but I thought I would check here as well because the pool of knowledge you guys have is pretty amazing, I would really appreciate hearing your suggestions.