Disappointed with MEDE8ER MED600X3D - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 10-10-2013, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've been looking for a player to replace my WDTV SMP that lacks DTS-HD MA bit-streaming (only core is processed).

Finally picked MEDE8ER MED600X3D, mainly because of the active community and ability to use XML files I've previously generated for my WTDV with thumbgen.

Don't get me wrong DTS-HD MA works great and all my movies (mostly BD Remuxes and 1080p rips) play well just like WTDV.
Unit's navigation however is what is making me return the player.

Here's the list of complains:

-each movie in it's own folder requirement. I assume the reason is the implementation of about.jpg(moviesheet) and folder.jpg(coverart) in order to display movie info.
WDTV uses moviename.jpg(coverart) and moviename_sheet.jpg(moviesheet). So each file name is unique and the end user is free to organize the library any way he/she wants

-series handling requires a whole different setup from the movies, episode synopsis is not available, just the season summary

-one feature I used a lot on WDTV in conjunctions with moviesheets is youtube trailer for the movie, no such thing on mede8er

-minor annoyance, but what's up with a cheap blue/red power indicator?

Overall it's solid player probably one of the best on the market today, just wished UI was better

UPDATE:

latest WDTV SMP firmware introduced DTS-MA passthru
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-12-2013, 01:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I've got all of my movies and TV shows in their own folder. I don't have any issues with any of the jukeboxes that I use Zappiti, Yadis, 10Muse. When I use to own a Mede8er I had all of my media in their own folder as well.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #3 of 21 Old 10-12-2013, 04:07 AM

Liked: 11
I can't help you with your other issues, but this worked for me with creating the folders

http://community.mediabrowser.tv/permalinks/2913/using-file2folder-gui-to-prepare-your-movie-collection-for-media-browser

It was recommended by AVS members to me a couple of years ago and solves the problem in about 60 seconds. As Gus said, most of the jukeboxes want this type of format, so whether you keep the meade8er or not, you may want to try this.
morbidz likes this.
post #4 of 21 Old 10-12-2013, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbs View Post

I can't help you with your other issues, but this worked for me with creating the foldershttp://community.mediabrowser.tv/permalinks/2913/using-file2folder-gui-to-prepare-your-movie-collection-for-media-browserIt was recommended by AVS members to me a couple of years ago and solves the problem in about 60 seconds. As Gus said, most of the jukeboxes want this type of format, so whether you keep the meade8er or not, you may want to try this.

Thanks I actually created my own little script that does the folder creation/file move. However I didn't like the way my media was presented and an extra click that's required to play the movie.
post #5 of 21 Old 10-12-2013, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Caveat: I do not use the following but it appears to work for others and may resolve most of your complaints.

Have you tried TVRename - Tv Wall application at http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php/topic,10729.0.html

I do not use it but it appears to be able to provide individual episode summaries for your TV shows and takes care of renaming conventions (if I read it correctly) without having to place each file in its own folder. In the thread is additional information, such as using another tool Free_TvDB to get episode graphics not found with TVRename, so I recommend you read the thread before deciding to get rid of your MED600X3D.

I don't know about youtube movie trailers and Mede8or.
morbidz likes this.
post #6 of 21 Old 10-12-2013, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratmanX View Post

Caveat: I do not use the following but it appears to work for others and may resolve most of your complaints.

Have you tried TVRename - Tv Wall application at http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php/topic,10729.0.html

I do not use it but it appears to be able to provide individual episode summaries for your TV shows and takes care of renaming conventions (if I read it correctly) without having to place each file in its own folder. In the thread is additional information, such as using another tool Free_TvDB to get episode graphics not found with TVRename, so I recommend you read the thread before deciding to get rid of your MED600X3D.

I don't know about youtube movie trailers and Mede8or.
I did use TVRename with settings from that post, the end result isn't as good as using thumbgen with TV series settings for WDTV.
post #7 of 21 Old 10-12-2013, 09:33 AM

Did you get individual episode summaries?

Reading the Mede8or firmware update, the new V3 update has the TVRename built in but seems like people had different/better results when using the app manually. I have not needed to update my firmware or use a jukebox so I do not know all the ins and outs on this topic, but I'd like to know more.

Can you elaborate more on what your results were and what you did not like compared to the WDTV please?
post #8 of 21 Old 10-12-2013, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Did you get individual episode summaries?

Reading the Mede8or firmware update, the new V3 update has the TVRename built in but seems like people had different/better results when using the app manually. I have not needed to update my firmware or use a jukebox so I do not know all the ins and outs on this topic, but I'd like to know more.

Can you elaborate more on what your results were and what you did not like compared to the WDTV please?

-WDTV has no restrictions on file organization
-WDTV doesn't need special folders(shortcuts) to TV Series
-WDTV has "recent" button to resume previously stopped file(no need to navigate to it's location)
-When I press "OK"(enter) button while watching a movie WDTV shows me current progress
-WDTV has one button subtitle switching
-WTDV has youtube trailer preview for the movie
-WTDV doesn't have any spelling mistakes in UI when interface language is switched to EN US (FAVOURITES) biggrin.gif

(* I've only played with MEDE8ER for few hours before sending it back, so some features that I listed as missing might be present)

The only reason I was trying to move away from WDTV SMP is to get DTS-HD MA bitstreaming, but after using MEDE8ER UI, I decided to go back to WDTV

post #9 of 21 Old 10-12-2013, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Follow this....

http://www.makemkv.com/dtshd/

DTS HD to FLAC

WD plays DTS HD MA
morbidz likes this.
post #10 of 21 Old 10-13-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidz View Post

-WDTV has no restrictions on file organization
-WDTV doesn't need special folders(shortcuts) to TV Series
-WDTV has "recent" button to resume previously stopped file(no need to navigate to it's location)
-When I press "OK"(enter) button while watching a movie WDTV shows me current progress
-WDTV has one button subtitle switching
-WTDV has youtube trailer preview for the movie
-WTDV doesn't have any spelling mistakes in UI when interface language is switched to EN US (FAVOURITES) biggrin.gif

(* I've only played with MEDE8ER for few hours before sending it back, so some features that I listed as missing might be present)

The only reason I was trying to move away from WDTV SMP is to get DTS-HD MA bitstreaming, but after using MEDE8ER UI, I decided to go back to WDTV

Were you able to get individual episode synopsis with the Mede8or?

There is one button on the remote for subtitles. Did this not work for you?

"Favourites" is British spelling of the American "favorites". Both are correct spellings.

The "i" button by the right and down cursor keys of the remote displays "Info Screen / Movie Sheet (about.jpg) Zoom"

I have read people find other streamer's GUI's to be more pleasing. I use only text based lists.

Looks like Otter1911 may have a solution to your audio issue. That is a good thing.
post #11 of 21 Old 10-13-2013, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Were you able to get individual episode synopsis with the Mede8or?

-Yes but not as visually pleasing as WDTV

There is one button on the remote for subtitles. Did this not work for you?

-I guess I haven't discovered that button in the few hours I spent with the box

"Favourites" is British spelling of the American "favorites". Both are correct spellings.

-When I pick EN US, I expect EN US spelling of words

The "i" button by the right and down cursor keys of the remote displays "Info Screen / Movie Sheet (about.jpg) Zoom"

-I guess I haven't discovered that button in the few hours I spent with the box

I have read people find other streamer's GUI's to be more pleasing. I use only text based lists.

Looks like Otter1911 may have a solution to your audio issue. That is a good thing.

I'm content with DTS core for now until I find a player that does DTS-HD MA and doesn't suck in UI department.
post #12 of 21 Old 10-13-2013, 06:28 AM

Thankfully there is competition and the ability to make money from continued development by people willing to listen to consumers like you to make a product people want to purchase.

Best of luck with your search.
morbidz likes this.
post #13 of 21 Old 10-13-2013, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:

Thankfully there is competition and the ability to make money from continued development by people willing to listen to consumers like you to make a product people want to purchase.

Best of luck with your search.
I keep hoping that competition intensifies and spurs WD to finally include DTS-HD bit streaming. If they ever did that, even with a slight bump in price, it would be hard to beat in the market.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #14 of 21 Old 10-13-2013, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

[quote name="StratmanX" url="/t/1494415/disappointed-with-mede8er-med600x3d/0_100#post_23831843"]Thankfully there is competition and the ability to make money from continued development by people willing to listen to consumers like you to make a product people want to purchase.Best of luck with your search.[/quote]I keep hoping that competition intensifies and spurs WD to finally include DTS-HD bit streaming. If they ever did that, even with a slight bump in price, it would be hard to beat in the market.
Yeah, I would gladly pay more for wdtv with dts-hd.
post #15 of 21 Old 10-13-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 42
morbidz, if you still have your 600X3D, I'll take it off your hands smile.gif.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #16 of 21 Old 10-13-2013, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

morbidz, if you still have your 600X3D, I'll take it off your hands smile.gif.
i shipped it back already.
post #17 of 21 Old 10-14-2013, 06:55 AM
LVS
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
morbidz,

Did the WDTV ever improve in the responsiveness of the UI? It has been a year since I tried the box, but I found it irritatingly slow to the point of not ever wanting to use it.
post #18 of 21 Old 10-14-2013, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVS View Post

morbidz,

Did the WDTV ever improve in the responsiveness of the UI? It has been a year since I tried the box, but I found it irritatingly slow to the point of not ever wanting to use it.

UI response is OK. I'm accessing my synology ds1812+ over CIFS.
My 2000+ movies(1080p rips/untouched BD REmuxes with DTS-MA/TrueHD) have moviesheets.
It takes about 2 seconds for the moviesheet to display which is acceptable. I don't use any other services that WDTV has so it's purely a local media streaming box for me.
I organize my media alphabetically, so I have the following structure

-Media
--ABC
---A
---B
----Batman.mkv, etc
--DEF
---D
----Die.Hard.mkv, etc
post #19 of 21 Old 12-11-2013, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter

DTA-MA passthru addition to the WDTV SMP just ended my search for another streamer.
Updated both my SMPs and delighted to see my receiver's tiny DTS-MA icon light up!
Thank you WD!
post #20 of 21 Old 12-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I recently purchased the MED600X3D. I've found it to do everything that I currently need. It plays all my content from my NAS including BD and DVD mkvs and ISOs via CIFS and NFS.

I looked into the jukebox feature, but I prefer the simple UI where movies are shown in list form and the currently selected movie displays the poster (folder.jpg) and gives information about the movie(movie_title.xml). I don't care for movie sheets and don't really find it much of a hardship to hit select twice to start playing the title. I have never been happy with any kind of metadata program when it comes to TV shows. I prefer to rip them to ISOs and throw them all into one folder, no metadata. It's not difficult to find the episode where I left off.

I tried out ThumbGen to create movie metadata, but I found it produced some erroneous results and some of the poster artwork kind of sucked. TheMovieDb.org has an API and I wrote my own semi-manual metadata generator app for Windows which produces just the movie xml file and folder.jpg. I'd like to do some more refinement and I might offer it up to others on the Mede8er forum.

Since WDTV supports DTS-MA now, sounds like it will work just fine for you. I prefer a simpler player that can play anything I throw at it, even if the UI isn't as pretty.
post #21 of 21 Old 12-11-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I also prefer M8R, but the WD's firmware update from yesterday is pretty impressive. May have to dust off my boxed-up SMP and try it out.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wdtv Full Hd Media Player Recertified , Mede8er Med500x2 High Definition Multimedia Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page