Networking advice needed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 10-14-2013, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys, i'm definitely a newbie when it comes to networking setup and am hoping to get a little advice here.

Here is my setup: Time Warner 15/1 internet with TWC supplied Motorola SBG6580 modem/router connected to my Netgear WNR2000v4 router. To the router i have a DirecTV DVR connected wireless, a Samsung Bluray hardwired, a Roku 3 hardwired and a Kindle connected wireless. There is nothing connected to the Motorola Gateway other than the Netgear router.

Is there anything in particular that i may need to set up in the Netgear router to help insure optimum performance? Also, would it matter if one of my devices were connected directly to the Motorola modem instead of the Netgear router?

My router's DNS is set to OpenDNS.

As of now, everything seems to be performing ok but just wanted opinions on anything that would help over and above the norm.

Thanks again Guys! wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-14-2013, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 32
You did everything OK. I would suggest that you do not connect anything to the modem except the router. Otherwise your network addresses can get weird.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant
post #3 of 18 Old 10-14-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Bob smile.gif

What are your pro or con thoughts on QoS? Does it affect an ethernet connection or just wireless?
post #4 of 18 Old 10-14-2013, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep05 View Post

Hey guys, i'm definitely a newbie when it comes to networking setup and am hoping to get a little advice here.

Here is my setup: Time Warner 15/1 internet with TWC supplied Motorola SBG6580 modem/router connected to my Netgear WNR2000v4 router. To the router i have a DirecTV DVR connected wireless, a Samsung Bluray hardwired, a Roku 3 hardwired and a Kindle connected wireless. There is nothing connected to the Motorola Gateway other than the Netgear router.

Is there anything in particular that i may need to set up in the Netgear router to help insure optimum performance? Also, would it matter if one of my devices were connected directly to the Motorola modem instead of the Netgear router?

My router's DNS is set to OpenDNS.

As of now, everything seems to be performing ok but just wanted opinions on anything that would help over and above the norm.

Thanks again Guys! wink.gif

I'm curious to know whether you have the combo modem/router configured for/in "Bridged" mode? Does TW allow you to manage their modem/router? If not, on either, you'll have a hell of a time using any port forwarding features of "your" router. In any case I'd recommend purchasing your own TX compatible modem....why, save on costs in the long run and you'll have significantly more control over the device (configuration, access to logs, etc.)
post #5 of 18 Old 10-14-2013, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacMagik View Post

I'm curious to know whether you have the combo modem/router configured for/in "Bridged" mode? Does TW allow you to manage their modem/router? If not, on either, you'll have a hell of a time using any port forwarding features of "your" router. In any case I'd recommend purchasing your own TX compatible modem....why, save on costs in the long run and you'll have significantly more control over the device (configuration, access to logs, etc.)

It is not configured for "Bridge Mode" as far as i can tell. Not much management either for the modem. The idea of purchasing my own modem is considered in the future.
post #6 of 18 Old 10-14-2013, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks Bob smile.gif

What are your pro or con thoughts on QoS? Does it affect an ethernet connection or just wireless?

QOS can be an important element but generally not in an home environment. Certain routers allow QOS for video on wifi. Netgear R7000, WNDR3700 as 2 examples. But as a rule it isnt needed unless you have many things running at the same time.

Bob
post #7 of 18 Old 10-14-2013, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again Bob smile.gifsmile.gif

BlackMagik also mentioned "Bridging the Modem". Should i do this as i am not really familiar with its function. As you can tell, i don't have allot of devices on my home network and traffic is not normally that high with only my wife and i. My main use is streaming Netflix with the Roku 3 (which as we all know can be a huge task at times) and my wife uses her Kindle quite often. With the TWC 15/1 internet plan, i'm always trying to squeeze as much performance out of the network that i can.

If putting the modem in "Bridge Mode" would help or turning "on or off" QoS, i'm all for it. I do have QoS currently enabled with priority being assigned to the ethernet port that the Roku 3 is wired to.
post #8 of 18 Old 10-14-2013, 06:55 PM

A quick way to check whether your modem/router is in "Bridged" mode is to check the IP address assigned to your router. If the modem/router is "Bridged", it'll passthru the public IP to your router....if not, your router will be assigned an IP somewhere in any of these ranges....10.0.0.0 or 172.16.0.0 or more commonly 192.168.0.0. Furthermore if the modem/router in not in a "Bridged" state, you'll probably need to contact TW to have their service/support team enable this state...hince, get your own modem.

And regards to QoS on consumer-grade equipment....IMO it's a joke and mostly used as a marketing term for sales...Quality of Service sounds so good...consumer routers just don't have the "intelligence" built-in to adequately monitor traffic, at least in my experience.
post #9 of 18 Old 10-14-2013, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks BlackMajik and Bob for your replies. They have been most helpful to an old geezer like me.wink.gif
post #10 of 18 Old 10-14-2013, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

One other question guys................if all devices were hardwired to the cable modem, could the router be used only as wireless to my wife's Kindle? If so, how would the router be setup for that and what would be the pros and cons for doing such? One big drawback i can see would be the inability to change the DNS in the modem.
post #11 of 18 Old 10-15-2013, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

One other question guys................if all devices were hardwired to the cable modem, could the router be used only as wireless to my wife's Kindle? If so, how would the router be setup for that and what would be the pros and cons for doing such? One big drawback i can see would be the inability to change the DNS in the modem.

I dont why you would want to hardwire to the modem. The router has a switch in it (ethernet switch) and handles aqll the traffic. You just want to use the modem as a modem. Leave everything else to the router to handle. That will give you the least problems.

As to DNS and the like you really want all those settings done in the router. You really want to have the modem do the most basic tasks as in connecting you to the cable or dsl. This way if you decide to upgrade your router and or change your network you are dealing with one device. And DNS shouldnt need to be changed. For ease you can use Google's DNS service which is 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

Bob Silver
post #12 of 18 Old 10-15-2013, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Bob, i wasn't planning on using the modem as a router, just throwing the scenario out there for possibilities. smile.gif

I currently have DNS set to OpenDNS (208.67.220.220). To me, Google DNS doesn't seem to be as stable and consistent.
post #13 of 18 Old 10-15-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:

Thanks Bob, i wasn't planning on using the modem as a router, just throwing the scenario out there for possibilities. smile.gif

I currently have DNS set to OpenDNS (208.67.220.220). To me, Google DNS doesn't seem to be as stable and consistent.

I'd also recommend against using the modem as anything other than such....you'll only complicate things if you plan on expanding the network in the future. Google DNS is stable, but OpenDNS offers many more control options. Create an account on OpenDNS and you can control the type of content allowed on your network, for example.....although anyone sneaky enough to set their own DNS on their devices can get around those settings.
post #14 of 18 Old 10-15-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I have to agree with BlackMagik and bobsilver...
As a fellow North Carolinian, and subject to TW's poor quality service, and connectivity issues...you're better off to call them and have them set the modem as JUST a modem...to get you to the outside world, and that's it. Tell them you just want the "signal", and you will handle all your own routing.
(Constant re-sets, poor ping to their servers, and outages notwithstanding...) I have the next tier up from yours, and I am really surprised (and glad) you have a reasonable amount of luck in your current setup.
Sometimes, I feel that I was better off before I learned my own networking, because I can see what , where, and when they are jerking me around and throttling my service. I currently have about 20 devices connected at any given time, and am constantly monitoring everything to make sure my kids, and my wife have the connectivity they need. (schoolwork for the kids, and my wife works out of the house for her job...)

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #15 of 18 Old 10-16-2013, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Kevin smile.gif and thanks for everyone's replies and advice.

I do get pretty consistent download/upload speeds (16.25/1.07 avg) with no real major issues yet but trying to pull a HD stream from Netflix in the evenings is worse than pulling teeth but we all have our opinions as to why that happens rolleyes.gif Poor performance on Netflix's part and i suspect some throttling issues from TWC.
post #16 of 18 Old 10-16-2013, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Question for you guys that are familiar with "Downstream Bonding"......................my Motorola Sgb6580 is suppose to have 8 bonded downstream channels. When i look at these in the configuration, 4 are indicated as being "locked" and 4 "not locked". What actually does this mean. For an inexperienced user like me, it would appear that 4 are not being used but i'm sure i am looking at it incorrectly.

With lower tier speeds such as mine, are 8 bonded channels really needed or would 4 suffice?
post #17 of 18 Old 10-17-2013, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

I am considering purchasing my own modem instead of paying TWC $6 each month. Since the SBG6580 is a modem/router/wireless combo and i have my own router, i am considering a SB6141 which still has the 8 "bonded channels". Doesn't appear to be any difference in the two other than the "combo".
post #18 of 18 Old 03-12-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:

I am considering purchasing my own modem instead of paying TWC $6 each month. Since the SBG6580 is a modem/router/wireless combo and i have my own router, i am considering a SB6141 which still has the 8 "bonded channels". Doesn't appear to be any difference in the two other than the "combo".

Hi,

My ISP does not allow user owned modems. We can own but only their provided ones or rent.

They track it by s/n. Owning own modem and using it is fine but when some sort of trouble

occurs, ISP support often blames your modem by habit creating hassles. End user can't

do any thing regarding channel bonding, ISP has to configure it for the subscriber.

Typically ISP supplied routers are not performance units. Using two router in tandem often

slows down traffic. Put combo router in bridge mode. If your ISP won't do it, put  your main router in DMZ

to stream line your set up.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page