Dune smart H1 says codec not supported for WMV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 10-14-2013, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My Dune player pops up "codec not supported" when I play WMV. Is there any fix for it? If not what is the best way/tool to convert into another format that supports by Dune and without loosing any quality. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-15-2013, 01:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Ive never tried to play a WMV file but according to the specs on the website it says it can play WMV.
1) Is the firmware updated?
2) Turn the player off then on again and try to play the file. Everyone once in a while i will get codec not supported even though i know it can play it. Turning the power off and on fixes it for me.

Try Makemkv or Handbrake and see how you like the results
post #3 of 14 Old 10-15-2013, 03:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 45
There are multiple versions of WMV such as VC-1, v9 (which is a subset of VC-1) along with the older v8 & v7.

The Dune likely only does VC-1 and your WMV is an older type, you will have to convert with Handbrake most likely.
post #4 of 14 Old 10-15-2013, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I checked in media info, it shows the following.

General
Complete name : C:\aaamovies\clipInWMV.wmv
Format : Windows Media
File size : 971 MiB
Duration : 18mn 10s
Overall bit rate : 7 470 Kbps
Maximum Overall bit rate : 8 628 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 1970-01-01 00:00:00.000
major_brand : mp42
minor_version : 0
compatible_brands : mp42mp41
WM/EncodingSettings : Lavf54.22.100

Video
ID : 1
Format : WMV1
Codec ID : WMV1
Codec ID/Info : Windows Media Video 7
Description of the codec : wmv1
Bit rate : 7 038 Kbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Bit depth : 8 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.142
Stream size : 915 MiB (94%)

Audio
ID : 2
Format : WMA
Format version : Version 2
Codec ID : 161
Codec ID/Info : Windows Media Audio
Description of the codec : Windows Media Audio V8
Bit rate : 128 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream size : 16.6 MiB (2%)

Not sure if problem is because of Audio format also.
post #5 of 14 Old 10-15-2013, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
WMA and WMA pro are listed in the supported audio codecs. So it shouldn't be the problem. Could it be that this WMV is DRM protected or something similar ?
post #6 of 14 Old 10-15-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
both Windows Media Video 7 and WMA8 were never licensed outside of Microsoft. Only WMV9 is support on any hardware player
post #7 of 14 Old 10-15-2013, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

both Windows Media Video 7 and WMA8 were never licensed outside of Microsoft. Only WMV9 is support on any hardware player

Thanks. That makes sense. What is the best format and tool to convert this WMV files in order to play on most of the players? I prefer loss less. I use mostly Dune and Oppo and planning to get kdlinks.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-15-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
I have no clue on that front WMV was never a format I messed with.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-16-2013, 02:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumar View Post

Thanks. That makes sense. What is the best format and tool to convert this WMV files in order to play on most of the players? I prefer loss less. I use mostly Dune and Oppo and planning to get kdlinks.

Use handbrake high profile preset with video set to RF18 that will give you high quality copies of the video that will play on most other players, you can up the bitrate on the AAC audio to the max as well.
sukumar likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-04-2013, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 View Post

Use handbrake high profile preset with video set to RF18 that will give you high quality copies of the video that will play on most other players, you can up the bitrate on the AAC audio to the max as well.

Thanks for the reply. I installed handbreak. I am trying to make sure these are the settings that I need to set

Under Presets: highprofile
Under vidoe tab: constant quality to move to RF18
Under audio: bit rate to 384

I am assuming that this will enable best quality mp4 file.

I have lot of files and it can take lot of effort to save each file. Is it possible to select folder that has wmvs and ask the tool to generate mp4 with the same name as source so that I don't need to select each one and save with file name etc. I am not able figure out how to use queues in handbreak. It is throwing exception. Appreciate for any help.
post #11 of 14 Old 12-04-2013, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am able to add one of them to queue. When I try to add next one, I see following exception. No clue on how to fix it.

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at HandBrake.ApplicationServices.Services.QueueProcessor.<>c__DisplayClass6.b__5(QueueTask job) in c:\HandBrake\Hudson\workspace\Release_WindowsGui64\0.9.9.1\win\CS\HandBrake.ApplicationServices\Services\QueueProcessor.cs:line 221
at System.Linq.Enumerable.Any[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate)
at HandBrakeWPF.ViewModels.MainViewModel.AddToQueue() in c:\HandBrake\Hudson\workspace\Release_WindowsGui64\0.9.9.1\win\CS\HandBrakeWPF\ViewModels\MainViewModel.cs:line 1059
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(IRuntimeMethodInfo method, Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeType typeOwner)
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(IRuntimeMethodInfo method, Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeType typeOwner)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
at Caliburn.Micro.ActionMessage.<.cctor>b__d(ActionExecutionContext context) in C:\Projects\Blue Spire\Caliburn.Micro\src\Caliburn.Micro.Silverlight\ActionMessage.cs:line 266
at Caliburn.Micro.ActionMessage.Invoke(Object eventArgs) in C:\Projects\Blue Spire\Caliburn.Micro\src\Caliburn.Micro.Silverlight\ActionMessage.cs:line 228
at System.Windows.Interactivity.TriggerBase.InvokeActions(Object parameter)
at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
at System.Windows.Controls.Button.OnClick()
at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnMouseLeftButtonUp(MouseButtonEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
at System.Windows.UIElement.ReRaiseEventAs(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args, RoutedEvent newEvent)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(RoutedEventArgs args)
at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(InputReport inputReport)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr hwnd, InputMode mode, Int32 timestamp, RawMouseActions actions, Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 wheel)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.FilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
post #12 of 14 Old 12-05-2013, 04:04 AM
Advanced Member

Their are some x264 batch encoders but they are no longer developed, Staxip could batch convert a folder but it is a bit complicated to setup, Hybrid is another x264 encoder with batch processing but that is even more complicated.

It may be painful but just drag and drop each wmv into handbrake (one at a time) to build the queue that way and it should work, trying to load multiple files is probably why it's crashing.
post #13 of 14 Old 12-05-2013, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 View Post

Their are some x264 batch encoders but they are no longer developed, Staxip could batch convert a folder but it is a bit complicated to setup, Hybrid is another x264 encoder with batch processing but that is even more complicated.

It may be painful but just drag and drop each wmv into handbrake (one at a time) to build the queue that way and it should work, trying to load multiple files is probably why it's crashing.

Thanks for quick reply. I will look at staxrip and hybrid. I have lot of wmv files to convert to mp4. It is worth to put effort to automate for the future. Do these tools produce same quality as handbrake? Otherwise, I can try to use handbrake command line interface with batch file. I did convert automatically all dvd folders to iso files using imgburn batch file. I could use this approach as well to have batch file that will go through each file and change to mp4.

I need to learn command level options to get best quailty video/audio. Appreciate anybody to share options for hand brake on command line for example to use high profile, high bitrate etc.
post #14 of 14 Old 12-10-2013, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am able to run the following command from a folder having wmv to convert them into mp4 using handbreak.

FOR /F "tokens=*" %%i IN ('DIR /B /S *.wmv') DO "C:\Program Files\Handbrake\HandBrakeCLI" -i "%%i" -o "newmp4\%%~ni.mp4" -f mp4 -4 --decomb --strict-anamorphic --modulus 16 -e x264 -q 14 --cfr -a 1 -E faac -6 dpl2 -R Auto -B 384 -D 0 --gain 0 --audio-fallback ffac3 --x264-profile=high --h264-level="4.1" --verbose=1

I am hoping that this would give best quality video/audio output. I had chosen q parameter as RF 14 since this setting produces mp4 file just little bigger size than original wmv. file. Appreciate for any feedback/suggestions.

The script converted one of the file from 1280x720 (16:9) to 1280x720(16:9). However it converted three other files to following from 1280x720(16:9).

1280x540 (2.40:1)
1280x624 (2.051)
1280x626 (2.045)

Only difference I noticed was the one that is converted same (1280x720 16:9) does not have top/bottom black bars, but other three have black bars. Do you think that is why these 3 were converted to different aspect ratio and height? Trying to make sure I don't loose any quality.

Before running the batch file on many files, want to make sure settings are right.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page