Roku or Oppo BDP-103 - help selecting device - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-14-2013, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
pqwk50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23

I want to start streaming.

 

Currently I have a DVD player but haven't gotten blu-ray because it's always more expensive than DVD. I've been interested in upgrading to a quiet high-end palyer--might as well get blu-ray if I do. One thing I really want to do is connect a 3.5mm cable from RF Base Station to the Oppo BDP-103. This way I can use my RF remote to control the Oppo in a cabinet. I can't do this with Roku :(

 

What do you guys thing, should I buy a Roku or the Oppo? Which product gives a better streaming experience?

pqwk50 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 10-14-2013, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
bluechunks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Maple Grove, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 932
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I have both a Ruku 3 and the Oppo 103 and I hate to say it, but it's sort of like asking should you buy a Ferrari or a Mercedes S-Class. Both are fine vehicles but they are also very different and really aren't designed to compete in the same market.

If streaming of commercial services (Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, etc) is important get the Ruku 3.

If disc playback and streaming of local content (from your own computer via your home network or an attached hard drive) is important get the Oppo.

If both are important then get both. The Ruku is "only" $100 compared to the Oppo's $499. wink.gif

(p.s. Oppo does sell a Ruku Stick that plugs into the 103's front MHL port but I'd suggest getting the stand-alone Ruku 3 for the same price. It's a much newer, fuller featured unit.)
bluechunks is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 10-14-2013, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
pqwk50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post

I have both a Ruku 3 and the Oppo 103 and I hate to say it, but it's sort of like asking should you buy a Ferrari or a Mercedes S-Class. Both are fine vehicles but they are also very different and really aren't designed to compete in the same market.

If streaming of commercial services (Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, etc) is important get the Ruku 3.

If disc playback and streaming of local content (from your own computer via your home network or an attached hard drive) is important get the Oppo.

If both are important then get both. The Ruku is "only" $100 compared to the Oppo's $499. wink.gif

(p.s. Oppo does sell a Ruku Stick that plugs into the 103's front MHL port but I'd suggest getting the stand-alone Ruku 3 for the same price. It's a much newer, fuller featured unit.)


Thanks.

Since the Oppo streams Netflix & Vudu, you still think getting Roku in addition is worth it? Could you say a little on how the experiences differ? Is it primarily a UI difference between the two or or is it about performance/ease-of-finding-content?

 

I've never streamed before so I don't know how it works exactly.

pqwk50 is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 10-14-2013, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
bluechunks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Maple Grove, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 932
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by pqwk50 View Post


Thanks.
Since the Oppo streams Netflix & Vudu, you still think getting Roku in addition is worth it? Could you say a little on how the experiences differ? Is it primarily a UI difference between the two or or is it about performance/ease-of-finding-content?

I've never streamed before so I don't know how it works exactly.
Yes, the Oppo streams Netflix and Vudu but the Ruku does those plus many more. If you are content with Netflix and Vudu then the Oppo is probably adequate. I use both because I have an Amazon Prime membership that includes lots of "free" videos and Amazon is not available for the Oppo.

I would also say that the Ruku 3 being a newer unit also has a better UI than the Oppo for streaming but it's also probably an issue of preference. The Oppo is not necessarily poor, IMHO, but in the case of Netflix they seem to prioritize development and the Oppo is a "niche" product in their universe. I bet if you owned both you would use the Ruku for streaming and the Oppo for DVD/Blu Ray. One thought to consider: Oppo has a 30-day return policy so you can try it out if you purchase it directly from them.

No matter what unit you select a key determination of picture quality will be your internet service since most services dynamically alter the stream to match the available bandwidth. If you don't have reasonably fast and consistent internet service you will not have great quality regardless of the player. Also your home network is an issue. It seems wired connections are generally better than wireless unless the wireless router is near the player and even then interference can be an issue.
bluechunks is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 10-14-2013, 08:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 16,122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post


(p.s. Oppo does sell a Ruku Stick that plugs into the 103's front MHL port but I'd suggest getting the stand-alone Ruku 3 for the same price. It's a much newer, fuller featured unit.)

For owners of an Oppo player, they sell the Roku stick for $49 with no Roku remote.

http://www.oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RokuSSB
rdgrimes is online now  
post #6 of 10 Old 10-15-2013, 01:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
bluewhale1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 699
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Can the Oppo 103 play dvd and blu ray isos from a nas server like a synology ds1812? Does it use the QDEO processing on file or just disks themselves?
bluewhale1 is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 10-15-2013, 04:29 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17,115
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 View Post

Can the Oppo 103 play dvd and blu ray isos from a nas server like a synology ds1812?

No. Not VIDEO_TS or BDMV structures, either.

There is a list of supported file formats in the FAQ linked in my signature.
Quote:
Does it use the QDEO processing on file or just disks themselves?

For everything.

-Bill
wmcclain is online now  
post #8 of 10 Old 10-15-2013, 09:25 AM
Member
 
mychaelp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pqwk50 View Post

I want to start streaming.

Currently I have a DVD player but haven't gotten blu-ray because it's always more expensive than DVD. I've been interested in upgrading to a quiet high-end palyer--might as well get blu-ray if I do. One thing I really want to do is connect a 3.5mm cable from RF Base Station to the Oppo BDP-103. This way I can use my RF remote to control the Oppo in a cabinet. I can't do this with Roku frown.gif

What do you guys thing, should I buy a Roku or the Oppo? Which product gives a better streaming experience?
Roku has PLEX which works pretty well. A guide to converting your files for even easier use along with channel suggestions here http://thecreativealternative.com/alternatives-to-cable/ may help with that.
That said; I personally prefer Roku because I can have one single interface for network streaming content on a server along my Amazon Prime streaming, along with some other fun streaming options such as CNN International, RU.TV and lots of other programs, Conan, etc. Also some good music streaming I use from Roku is Couchy.TV which streams my music collection from my dropbox account directly to my Roku.
I also have a Gen1 WDTV but the interface is really slow and I have to set the movie sheet information myself, while PLEX does it automatically (usually with a deep scan though).
You can get an RF remote to work with Roku with an adapter, but that will add more cost. I suggest Roku3 if you are going that way as I've tried it out, it's really quick interface is clean and easy to navigate. 1,000 channels or so, with about 90% crap, but that still leaves you with over 100 good ones.
It's all about what your priorities are.
mychaelp is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 10-15-2013, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
pqwk50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mychaelp View Post


You can get an RF remote to work with Roku with an adapter, but that will add more cost.

What adapter can I but for RF? Can u say more about this? where do I buy it? what's it called?

pqwk50 is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 10-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
bluechunks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Maple Grove, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 932
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by pqwk50 View Post

What adapter can I but for RF? Can u say more about this? where do I buy it? what's it called?
The Ruku 3 has TWO connection methods for remote control:

1) The included Ruku WiFi remote (the Ruku/remote combination are their own little network)

2) The Ruku 3 also has an integrated IR receiver for backward compatibility so a simple IR transmitter can be connected to the RF receiver (base station) instead of a hardwired IR connection
bluechunks is offline  
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Netflix , Vudu , Vudu Brand

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off