3d and true multi channel audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-15-2013, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hey guys. I'm really trying to put together a system without to many regrets.

You know, wish I hadn't got that, or man, wish I had got that instead of.

My avr is the Denon 4520. Love it. 70" sony. Love it too. Klipsch speakers-11.2 with Emotiva 2 channel amp. Love it all.

I'll be getting the new ps4 very soon, and maybe a year down the road the oppo-103d. It was hard to decide between the 2. Cant do both at the same time.

Not being to sure how the ps4 will do with streaming my ripped Blu-ray content I have on my network. Has to be better than my fat ps3.

I'm still confused on which media streamer will to the best.

It must do 3d and 7.1 audio at the same time. The Roku 3 looked promising, but I hear it only does 5.1 audio. I'd like to keep the price around 100-150 bucks.

I see these new android media servers like this one: Android 4.2 XBMC Quad Core 1.8GHz 3D 1080P HDMI 8GB Smart TV Box Media Player....It doesn't seem to say anything about multi channel audio.

I have an android tablet. Which I like, just has no hdmi output. But I thought adding a Android type device to my system would be kind of cool. Have all bases covered. But hell, what do I know....

So what do others use, and are there any suggestions....

Thanks......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-15-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Sony PS3/4 and Oppo 103 have support for Cinavia so if you stream any BluRay rips that are Cinavia protected (here's the list, basically every Sony movie) the audio will cut out in 20 min and you get a nasty message on screen.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3 of 8 Old 10-15-2013, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Sony PS3/4 and Oppo 103 have support for Cinavia so if you stream any BluRay rips that are Cinavia protected (here's the list, basically every Sony movie) the audio will cut out in 20 min and you get a nasty message on screen.

That's the reason i'm looking for something else to stream my content with.

But like I said, 3d and 7.1 audio is a must....
post #4 of 8 Old 10-15-2013, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
There's no such thing as a free lunch and those Android streamers for ~$100 are not ready for prime time, IMHO.

Perhaps a down the road a bit they'll get there.....but they are currently a disaster with multi-channel HD Audio.

I don't think you will find anything that will do 7.1 and 3D for $100-$150 unless you can find a used unit of a higher caliber.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-15-2013, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

FWIW, last I heard on the Oppo thread the 103 only checks for Cinevia on BDMV physical shiny disc backups while streaming (MKV/M2TS backups) is currently untouched.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-15-2013, 09:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post

FWIW, last I heard on the Oppo thread the 103 only checks for Cinevia on BDMV physical shiny disc backups while streaming (MKV/M2TS backups) is currently untouched.
There was a recent poster on another thread, which I forgot to bookmark, with an Oppo with the latest firmware who said that Cinavia protection was active for streaming files.

edit:
Found it. See this post and the one after it

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7 of 8 Old 10-16-2013, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 601
The top 3 media players at the moment are the Dune, Mede8er and PCH. They all 3 play HD sound. However, the best 3D media player is the Mede8er. The best 2D media player with BD full ISO menus is the Dune Smart Series. The only one out of the 3 that have more apps such as Plex is the PCH. All 3 of them cost more than $150 dollars.

I just recently bought an opened box Sony NSZ-GS7 for $72 dollars from Best Buy for my master bedroom. I use the Plex app, and it works pretty well. I am actually very surprised how well it is working. However, it has no HD sound support.biggrin.gif

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #8 of 8 Old 10-16-2013, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There was a recent poster on another thread, which I forgot to bookmark, with an Oppo with the latest firmware who said that Cinavia protection was active for streaming files.

edit:
Found it. See this post and the one after it
Yeah. Same thing happened in the Oppo thread. It was debunked and credited to a MKV creation issue (compatibility) and not Cinavia.

That said, I would not be surprised to see it go away at some point on the 103 and other media players with Blu Ray licenses.

FWIW, here's the very actively maintained BDP-103 FAQ.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page