Streaming system components/setup recommendations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-18-2013, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hoping I can be pointed to examples of other users' system setups that I can learn from and take ideas. Quick summary of what I'm trying to accomplish:

-- Due to the room layout and aesthetic considerations, will be mounting Panasonic VT60 with B&W Panorama 2 on a wall bracket that can pulled out/rotated 90 degrees when viewing
-- Thinking of using one of the new Intel NUCs as a 'front-end' media server which will be attached to rear of TV
-- 'Back-end' of media server will basically be box with large amount of extensible disk storage. This will ideally live in a guest bedroom closet ~60 feet away. Depending upon the recommendations/suggestions I receive, it may or may not also have a Blu-ray drive.

My concerns fundamentally are around ensuring that while I have the folks in doing the wall mount install that I also have any custom cable runs installed at the same time. My experience to date with my Brighthouse Networks 60Mb/s service is that I have low confidence that I can rely on its wireless connections. As their modem/router other side of the room/house (again ~50-60 feet away), trying to determine what would be a robust config for net connectivity and also streaming a/v from media 'back-end' server. Is best approach to run cable to hard connect a 2-4 port slave router to the main one? (the NUC and TV then are individually connected to the slave). Similarly should I hard connect the back-end server or would a dedicated 802.11AC wireless connection to the front-end work reliably?

Finally, any recommendations as to what to install/run on the NUC would be most appreciated. I've not paid attention to the HT space for over a decade - suffice to say a lot's happened! :-) Here I am trying to understand pros/cons of installing XBMC vs OpenElec. here a key requirement is UI ease of use for day-to-day operations - simple to browse/search media library, create playlists. OK if to customize/configure is more complicated. As a side-note: I'm surprised that so far haven't found any US-based companies offering ready-to-go, out-of-the-box NUCs where they offer menu of options to choose from (OS, RAM, Wireless, SSD, ...) - like when ordering a Dell box.

[No 'political' preference but as all my experience has been with PCs, would appreciate any/all suggestions to be PC-based].

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-19-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 601
http://www.assassinhtpc.com/

Everything wired. OpenElec is an OS that lets you run XBMC. There are many, many, many threats about this already.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page