Music File Reliably Crashes WD TV Live - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-22-2013, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Last night I downloaded from HDTracks the new 96K 24 bit Grateful Dead American Beauty album in FLAC format.

My Setup:

- WD TV Live wired to router, HDMI output to Pioneer VSX-1122. Latest firmware confirmed on WD
- 2TB Iomega NAS with ~100G FLAC files wired to same router

Observed behavior:

- Connecting to NAS using "Network Shares" method, the WD reboots on opening the folder that contains the album, immediately on opening.

- Deleting the first file in the folder, "Box of Rain", and all files play perfectly. As does the second album I downloaded at the same time.

- Connecting to the NAS using "Media Player" method and the file ["Box of Rain"] plays without an issue

- A second 96K, 24 bit version of the same song from a different mix and source plays perfectly

- Re-downloading the same file from HDTracks and trying to play using "Network Shares" causes a reboot. I note that with the first download, I changed some of the tag info but with the second I tried to play "as-received."

- Using the "files" choice on the main WD screen, I can open the folder containg the file using "Network Shares." Hitting play causes a reboot.

Thoughts or suggestions welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-22-2013, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 324
It's obviously an issue with the coding of that one file. There may be something slightly non-standard about it that the WD rejects.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3 of 7 Old 10-22-2013, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
What happens when you play the file from an USB stick?

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #4 of 7 Old 10-22-2013, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Doubt it - 4 other devices play the file without a problem. Only the WD TV Live fails.

And do you consider rebooting proper error handling of a poorly coded file..even if?
post #5 of 7 Old 10-22-2013, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

When I load it on a USB stick and plug it into one of the WD's USB ports I get the same behavior. The WD reboots.

Meanwhile two laptops, a smartphone, an AVR, and a TV can all play the file without failure.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-23-2013, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMConey View Post

Doubt it - 4 other devices play the file without a problem. Only the WD TV Live fails.

And do you consider rebooting proper error handling of a poorly coded file..even if?
And yet you note that with the exception of that particular file, the WD plays all the other files in that download set without issue. It is not unusual to see a particular device have a problem with the coding of a particular file while other devices don't. Like I said, it is usually something non-standard about the coding that the device can't cope with. It happens -- haven't you ever had a disk that would not play on a particular player but would play on others. It's one of the reasons why most of us who rip disks to servers have multiple BD drives from different manufacturers.

Is rebooting proper error handling? Who is to say. I would rather have it reboot than lockup and force me to pull the plug.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7 of 7 Old 10-23-2013, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

And yet you note that with the exception of that particular file, the WD plays all the other files in that download set without issue. It is not unusual to see a particular device have a problem with the coding of a particular file while other devices don't. Like I said, it is usually something non-standard about the coding that the device can't cope with. It happens -- haven't you ever had a disk that would not play on a particular player but would play on others. It's one of the reasons why most of us who rip disks to servers have multiple BD drives from different manufacturers.

Is rebooting proper error handling? Who is to say. I would rather have it reboot than lockup and force me to pull the plug.

I just don't agree with your logic, respectfully. If 5 devices play a file and 1 doesn't I think a more likely conclusion is that something in the WD's handling of the data stream is non-standard or flawed rather than the file itself. Your BD analogy is actually an example of the BD drive firmware being at issue [usually], not the disk itself being "non-standard."

I would rather get an error message than either reboot OR lockup. Both are poor error handling. Of course, I would rather have either occur than the WD catch on fire and burn my house down, if we are to consider possible adverse alternatives! ;^)

Regards.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page