Any TV streaming service with *surround sound* ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 10-26-2013, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've tried some of the major streaming services (Hulu, Netflix, TWCTV.com , etc.) and have yet to see any content with surround sound. I've heard only stereo. Are they any stream providers out there that actually offer streams that have surround sound?

My PC has 5.1 speakers and currently has a Time Warner converter box hooked up. I just watched a little bit of a college football game and I got nice surround sound from my speakers. Then I went to TWCTV.com and saw the same football game via streaming, and only got STEREO sound.

The converter box costs me $10 a month, so I'm considering ditching it and getting a Roku box instead. But will I lose surround sound? Roku streams online, the same way TWCTV.com works.

I don't get why the providers don't put surround sound in their streams. The bit rate for surround is only 384 kbps or so. That shouldn't pose any bandwidth problem to high-speed Internet.

So my question is are they any stream providers out there (other than Hulu, TW, etc.) that actually offer streams that have surround sound? Has anyone gotten surround from TWC streams at all? I'll be using Roku primarily for TWC.

Surround sound is really essential in sports programs if you don't want the announcers' voices to be drowned out by the loud crowd noises. Surround sound separates the announcers' voices to the center speaker so you can hear them clearly and distinctly, which enhances your viewing pleasure.

As many of you know, sports channels like ESPN charge over $5 per subscriber. I would feel ripped off if didn't get the full experience of their programs that include surround sound.
ps4hipsters likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-26-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 193
All the pc clients are probably just stereo. STBs like Roku support 5.1 or even 7.1
post #3 of 14 Old 10-26-2013, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

So have you or anyone heard surround audio on a stream, with Roku or any other devices? If the streams themselves don't carry surround, then it doesn't matter what device you use.
post #4 of 14 Old 10-26-2013, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_y View Post

So have you or anyone heard surround audio on a stream, with Roku or any other devices? If the streams themselves don't carry surround, then it doesn't matter what device you use.

Netflix, Vudu, Amazon, HBO Go and probably many others support 5.1 (and 7.1 on Vudu) via streaming.

Now it depends on the title and player - so you need research what is important to you.
post #5 of 14 Old 10-27-2013, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes of course. That's what I already said STBs support 5.1 Dolby Digital plus bitstream output from netflix, amazon and vudu at a minimum

The pc clients don't, only stereo.

STBs include but not limited to Roku, Apple TV, 2012/2013 Bd Players, tvs with smart apps, google tv etc.
post #6 of 14 Old 10-27-2013, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

The pc clients don't, only stereo.

Windows 8 supports subtitles and alternate audio on select titles or 5.1 Surround Sound when available.

https://support.netflix.com/en/node/2490

Although it seems the op may have left us.......
post #7 of 14 Old 10-28-2013, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Has anyone used the Roku to watch TWCTV and got surround sound? As I said earlier, TW converter box gives me surround sound, but the TWCTV website doesn't. Some of you said the PC client doesn't support surround. But the PC client and the Roku get their content from the same TW streams, no? So, if I watch TW streams with Roku, will I get surround sound? I know a lot of programs don't have surround, but many major sports programs do. Can anyone use the Roku, open up the TWCTV channel, watch a ball game, and report?
post #8 of 14 Old 10-28-2013, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Yes of course. That's what I already said STBs support 5.1 Dolby Digital plus bitstream output from netflix, amazon and vudu at a minimum .
I know the 5.1 capability of the STB but as I said my concern is how common it is for the *content* to have surround sound. As I said, I've watched some content at Netflix and Amazon and have yet to come across surround. I've watch the 1996 film "Hamlet" at Amazon, no surround. I've watched some episodes of "Heroes" at Netflix, also without surround. These are modern shows, and their corresponding DVDs do have surround, and yet the streaming versions don't. So is stereo really the norm here?
post #9 of 14 Old 10-28-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know the 5.1 capability of the STB but as I said my concern is how common it is for the *content* to have surround sound. As I said, I've watched some content at Netflix and Amazon and have yet to come across surround. I've watch the 1996 film "Hamlet" at Amazon, no surround. I've watched some episodes of "Heroes" at Netflix, also without surround. These are modern shows, and their corresponding DVDs do have surround, and yet the streaming versions don't. So is stereo really the norm here?

Netflix and Amazon both have many titles with surround sound.

Try Arrow or Thor on Netflix. Both have 5.1 sound.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-28-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hamlet (2006) is only available in stereo on amazon
Heroes is available in DD+ 5.1 on netflix
post #11 of 14 Old 10-28-2013, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

I just got a Roku 3 and am disappointed that NONE of the programs in the TWC channel I've watched have surround sound. The World Series, Monday Night Football, Dancing with the Stars. These programs have surround if I watch them with the converter box. But no surround from TV streaming. The bit rate for surround should be miniscule for broadband Internet, so why did the morons who encoded the streams downmix the surround to stereo??
post #12 of 14 Old 10-29-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:

I just got a Roku 3 and am disappointed that NONE of the programs in the TWC channel I've watched have surround sound. The World Series, Monday Night Football, Dancing with the Stars. These programs have surround if I watch them with the converter box. But no surround from TV streaming. The bit rate for surround should be miniscule for broadband Internet, so why did the morons who encoded the streams downmix the surround to stereo??
Off hand, I would say marketing. The streaming service was designed for laptops, tablets and phones -- not to take the place of an STB on you main HDTV. If you want surround sound you have to pay for the STB. Kind of like the premium they charge for HD vs. down-converted SD.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #13 of 14 Old 10-29-2013, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

I watched "Prometheus" on Vudu, which has "HDX 7.1 sound". Now, that's more like it. Still nowhere near the best audio, of course, and I'm not sure even DVD audio. But at least I get some semblance of nice surround sound.
post #14 of 14 Old 11-09-2013, 08:47 PM

Liked: 10

I think that this web streaming service  provides it (<-the one I use).  I actually have hifi speakers and they work just fine with this service. Hope with helps.

:D

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page