Video/Music Streaming, Should I move away from Apple - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-28-2013, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone. I lurk these forums getting all kinds of ideas to spend my time and money on but one thing that constantly plagues me is finding a solution that fits what I want and moving forward on it.

I am a "control enthusiast" and love having everything centralized and able to control it all easily. My ideal setup would have the following features:
- Centralized storage (I currently use a synology NAS to house everything (music, movies/ videos, pictures)
- ability to stream music and movies/videos to any room.
- streams are seperate meaning each room can listen or watch different things.

My current setup is a synology NAS for storage and a desktop running itunes so the ATV3s can access it. My problem is I am really not a fan of having my desktop always running itunes.

What will most likely happen if I continue down this route is I'll end up having an iTunes "Server" via a Mac Mini hiding in the media closet feeding video and whatever else it can to 3 maybe 4 ATV3 and then purchasing Sonos devices to build the music streaming so I can control whether zones play same stuff or separate, etc.

Is their a better way to accomplish what I want? Also, ATV UI is awful. I would prefer the look of something like Media Browser 3 but I am not sure what that is capable of.

Any advice is much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-29-2013, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

After some further reading I am looking at another route.

Building a Win Server 2012 + FlexRaid for my Media Server. My collection is not the size of most people on this forum but it is growing so I will start with 4 3TB WD Red drives. Does anyone have experience with these? Also, I am assuming since I convert all my BD rips and DVD rips from a mkv to a m4v h.264, since I wanted to work with iTunes initially, there is no transcoding when streaming correct?
post #3 of 7 Old 10-29-2013, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Your proposed solution is obviously much more powerful and versatile, but have you tried the iTunes streaming server available through Synology to see if that allows you to not have the desktop always turned on? I haven't used it much, but it might be worth trying as you do more research smile.gif
post #4 of 7 Old 10-29-2013, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

I have tried the Synology iTunes Server and was not a fan of it. I think they could improve on it but I don't think its worth their time because Apple makes it so difficult. I understand why Apple locks everything down, that's why they are able to make it very easy and stable. But, that also puts plenty of limitations on it, one it makes it a pain to use apple as a whole home media platform unless you don't want all the cool features you can have with other platforms. At least that is my experience. Plus, I like tinkering and customizing stuff to the point of failure so I can get frustrated and fix it biggrin.gif , Then the wife asks why do you do mess with this stuff lol.

Going this Media Server route with Flexraid brings another questions, should I run Plex or mediabrowser 3, which ever I choose on the same server or build a separate server for that?
post #5 of 7 Old 11-02-2013, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salphonso View Post

After some further reading I am looking at another route.

Building a Win Server 2012 + FlexRaid for my Media Server. My collection is not the size of most people on this forum but it is growing so I will start with 4 3TB WD Red drives. Does anyone have experience with these? Also, I am assuming since I convert all my BD rips and DVD rips from a mkv to a m4v h.264, since I wanted to work with iTunes initially, there is no transcoding when streaming correct?

First, I have had no issues with any of my WD red drives; I have had 4 of the 2 TB for a year and a half running 24/7 no issues. I have 2 3TB reds for about 6 months with no problems either.

I am running Server 2012 Essentials as my home server, but I have to ask, why Flexraid? Is that even compatible with 2012? Personally I have been using Server storage spaces that is built in with no issues for nearly 2 years.

If you don't need a domain or any of the AD stuff, you can get Storage spaces much cheaper with Windows 8 pro.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over.....
post #6 of 7 Old 11-02-2013, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salphonso View Post

I have tried the Synology iTunes Server and was not a fan of it. I think they could improve on it but I don't think its worth their time because Apple makes it so difficult. I understand why Apple locks everything down, that's why they are able to make it very easy and stable. But, that also puts plenty of limitations on it, one it makes it a pain to use apple as a whole home media platform unless you don't want all the cool features you can have with other platforms. At least that is my experience. Plus, I like tinkering and customizing stuff to the point of failure so I can get frustrated and fix it biggrin.gif , Then the wife asks why do you do mess with this stuff lol.

Going this Media Server route with Flexraid brings another questions, should I run Plex or mediabrowser 3, which ever I choose on the same server or build a separate server for that?

I've actually been playing with Plex on my server and it seems to work pretty well; certainly a lot better than when I was using my ReadyNas pro...

I've only been playing with it intermittently so far, but it does run well. My server hardware is only a Sandybridge i3 with 4Gb of RAM, so it isn't anything special.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over.....
post #7 of 7 Old 11-03-2013, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I have iOS devices and 7 sonos zones and since inception of iTunes match and iCloud wouldn't change it. My content all resides on ANS at home.

It's great: I can buy content on any iOS device or anything running iTunes and it just appears everywhere. Only slight downside is that I need to run a batch file to copy my iTunes lib to my NAS and then update Sonos library when I add stuff. (I tried using same shared iTunes lib on server for multiple clients and it didn't work (3-4 years ago).

regards

Mark
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page