Roku, does it have "regular" TV channels? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-28-2013, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been looking for information on this. I'm wondering if Roku has apps that are like regular TV channels where they have set programs. I get a little overwhelmed at times trying to figure out what to watch. I ditched cable a long time ago but I miss having a selection of stations I can just flip on and see what's on. Any info on this is much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-29-2013, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I know of two options: Aereo and Simple.tv. I use the latter. Woot had a deal recently for Simple.tv DVR with lifetime sub for $100, so that's what I got. Worth it at that price to watch/record over-the-air free TV via Roku, iPad and desktop web browser.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #3 of 7 Old 10-29-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
http://www.rokuguide.com

http://streamfree.tv/apps/

These sites will help you with your search but other than a PBS channel, Roku doesn't have any network channels that carry their regular programming. Roku does have Hulu Plus that carries some of their shows but it has a small monthly fee.

post #4 of 7 Old 10-29-2013, 11:26 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by He Save Dave View Post

I've been looking for information on this. I'm wondering if Roku has apps that are like regular TV channels where they have set programs. I get a little overwhelmed at times trying to figure out what to watch. I ditched cable a long time ago but I miss having a selection of stations I can just flip on and see what's on. Any info on this is much appreciated.

Roku has a "Time Warner channel" that offers live streaming of 300 regular channels like ESPN, TNT, E!, IFC, TCM, Syfy, etc. You see the channels the same way as regular cable TV. But you need to be a TW subscriber with at least a standard TV plan AND a TW Internet plan.

But in general, Roku doesn't have "regular channels". Regular channels broadcast specific programs at specific times. But Roku channels offer content that you can watch any time. The PBS channel mentioned in previous post is the same way. It's a collection of programs that you can watch any time. In other words, everything is "on demand". You can't just turn on the TV and watch whatever. You need to "demand" what you watch first.

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. But the trend is that people want to watch whatever and whenever they want. Traditional TV channels who show programs at fixed times can't possibly accommodate the watch-whenever-they-want crowd. You notice how some TV stations repeat the same programs over and over, and many viewers STILL miss the shows. It wastes the TV stations' resources and doesn't satisfy the viewers. Hence, the rise of the watch-whenever-they-want model. The provider just put one copy of the show on their server and let people watch it when they can, which saves time and resources for the provider and satisfies the viewers. This is a major paradigm shift from the decades-old TV business model that not only TV executives but also viewers will have to adjust to.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-30-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The new 2-tuner box from Simple.tv will be out mid-december. $50 off if you preorder at newegg.

There he goes again... Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
post #6 of 7 Old 10-30-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 47
At $200 before subscription seems pricey. Glad I got the single-tuner for $100 with lifetime subscription.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #7 of 7 Old 10-30-2013, 03:06 PM

Liked: 10

I guess not many people know about these channels on Roku : AMGTV  and HSN which is live streaming.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page