Intel Nuc DCP847SKE - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-31-2013, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Folks,

Bit of a noob with regards to HTPC's so bare with me.

Looking at doing a wife/child friendly htpc based on the Intel Nuc DCP847SKE running something like XBMC.

Main questions being is it capable of ripping Bluray/ and second is there an easier to use interface than XBMC?

Thanks All.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-01-2013, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The NUC is a full pc, just in a smaller case. If you have a USB drive it would be capable of ripping.

As far as interfaces go, you really can't get much simpler than XBMC.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-01-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaujewel View Post

Looking at doing a wife/child friendly htpc based on the Intel Nuc DCP847SKE running something like XBMC.

Main questions being is it capable of ripping Bluray/ and second is there an easier to use interface than XBMC?

If you wish to use only XBMC I'd take a look at OpenELEC. I run it via a flash drive (no hard drive) with the above NUC. It runs great and accesses movies stored on my NAS. I also use WMC as a backend for live and recorded TV. Powerful enough for HD audio and video and with a Harmony remote a pretty good interface.

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #4 of 8 Old 11-01-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Didn't know you could use WMC for PVR in XBMC w/o Windows installed... or do you run OpenELEC and Windows on your NUC? I have an i3 NUC w/Windows 7, but thinking about getting a Celeron NUC and using OpenELEC. The PVR issue is what was giving me second thoughts as I could never get NextPVR and other solutions besides WMC to work via XBMC. Thanks.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #5 of 8 Old 11-01-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Didn't know you could use WMC for PVR in XBMC w/o Windows installed... or do you run OpenELEC and Windows on your NUC?

I use following...

• Windows Pro 8.1 with Media Center (PC) - recordings are stored directly to the NAS via iSCSI
  • NAS (recordings and movies)
  • OpenELEC (pretty much a PC :))

The WMC PC acts as a backend server for XBMC using the following...

https://googledrive.com/host/0ByNnAMYBoWvfTk8tRWJXYko1T2c/index.html

The XBMC WMC Add-on works very well and takes only a few minutes to setup. The interface isn't quite as nice as WMC such as not having folders for TV series and the remote behaving differently for live and recorded shows. Overall it's a solid solution if you don't want Windows running on the client and not that much more than a native WMC extender.

| 
|
|
|
post #6 of 8 Old 11-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

If you wish to use only XBMC I'd take a look at OpenELEC. I run it via a flash drive (no hard drive) with the above NUC. It runs great and accesses movies stored on my NAS. I also use WMC as a backend for live and recorded TV. Powerful enough for HD audio and video and with a Harmony remote a pretty good interface.

Sorry to hijack

Charles Can you play WMC recordings (without trancoding) in Open ELEC. I'm looking to put inexpensive player in master bed so wife can watch stuff recorded on main WMC in family room.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-01-2013, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_u View Post

Charles Can you play WMC recordings (without trancoding) in Open ELEC. I'm looking to put inexpensive player in master bed so wife can watch stuff recorded on main WMC in family room.

I believe the answer is Yes and Sort of. :) Recorded files are played back natively and you don't need the WMC Add-on to view those. When viewing live and or currently being recorded shows the server creates its own copy (on the server) it can properly stream (WMC active recording files are rather difficult to handle). With four recordings and various playbacks going on my i3 has never broken a sweat.

Endless details are located here... the client/server software is very impressive...

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=171216

mark_anderson_u likes this.

| 
|
|
|
post #8 of 8 Old 11-01-2013, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, thanks for those thoughts.
I was thinking of the following setup
PCI e 32gb SSD Hard drive
Pcie wireless
usb 1 tb Storage
Operating system, not sure, probably linux cause Im tight smile.gif

If I do go with linux is there any advantage in using the ssd to run off? Would I be better going to a tiny (4GB) SSD or will it run just as fast on a usb stick?

Thanks again.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page