Foscam vs Netgear VueZone wireless indoor camera? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-01-2013, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to place at least 4 motion detector cameras throughout the house and be able to have them record for future viewing. I also want real time viewing capability. Remote viewing and sound is a plus. I don't want to pay for any monthly fees. What do you think of Foscam and Netgear VueZone wireless indoor cameras and are there others that are also good and reasonably priced?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-05-2013, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmroth View Post

I want to place at least 4 motion detector cameras throughout the house and be able to have them record for future viewing. I also want real time viewing capability. Remote viewing and sound is a plus. I don't want to pay for any monthly fees. What do you think of Foscam and Netgear VueZone wireless indoor cameras and are there others that are also good and reasonably priced?

I own both of these cameras. I use Foscam in my main residence and Vuezone in a vacation home I own. I wrote a review on the Vuezone when it came out. Link here http://www.avsforum.com/t/1425661/netgear-vuezone-completely-wireless-ip-cameras

The Foscam are great cameras for the money. I own 4 Foscams and 3 clones. The Foscams are better so buy those if you get Foscams. The Foscams have the advantage of being complete customizable in setup, Pan/Tilt etc. The downside is they are much harder to configure then the Vuezone's Ill get to that in a moment. The other downside to the Foscam is network performance. The cameras are very susceptible to network traffic. And they create their own. When this occurs you get freezes or just very slow performance. Also you must buy additional software to view them if you dont use the web browser which I do not. Lastly configuration to outise access requires individual port forwarding for each camera. If you have 7 like I do it is a pain but doable.

Now on to Vuezone. The service is free with 2 cameras. More then that requires a subscription. Setup is brain dead easy. And they perform much better then Foscam in response time and video quality. Downside is no Pan/tilt. But they are wide angle so that hasnt been an issue. The batteries in mine are over 1 year old and still read full. And the fact there are no wires again makes it really easy. The mounts are the best too. Magnetic balls that the cameras stick to. No port forwarding required either. Just couldnt be easier to set up.

No on to motion triggers. Both Foscam and Vuezone do that. The free subscription from Vuezone gives you snapshot pics when triggered. The paid gives you video. All accessible from anywhere. Foscam depends on the software you use. And if you have multiple cameras each needs to be configured to record if that is what you want.

In summary they both have pros and cons. But ease of use and quality go to Vuezone. Flexibility and configurability to Foscam.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant
mark_anderson_u likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-08-2013, 09:08 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post

I own both of these cameras. I use Foscam in my main residence and Vuezone in a vacation home I own. I wrote a review on the Vuezone when it came out. Link here http://www.avsforum.com/t/1425661/netgear-vuezone-completely-wireless-ip-cameras

The Foscam are great cameras for the money. I own 4 Foscams and 3 clones. The Foscams are better so buy those if you get Foscams. The Foscams have the advantage of being complete customizable in setup, Pan/Tilt etc. The downside is they are much harder to configure then the Vuezone's Ill get to that in a moment. The other downside to the Foscam is network performance. The cameras are very susceptible to network traffic. And they create their own. When this occurs you get freezes or just very slow performance. Also you must buy additional software to view them if you dont use the web browser which I do not. Lastly configuration to outise access requires individual port forwarding for each camera. If you have 7 like I do it is a pain but doable.

Now on to Vuezone. The service is free with 2 cameras. More then that requires a subscription. Setup is brain dead easy. And they perform much better then Foscam in response time and video quality. Downside is no Pan/tilt. But they are wide angle so that hasnt been an issue. The batteries in mine are over 1 year old and still read full. And the fact there are no wires again makes it really easy. The mounts are the best too. Magnetic balls that the cameras stick to. No port forwarding required either. Just couldnt be easier to set up.

No on to motion triggers. Both Foscam and Vuezone do that. The free subscription from Vuezone gives you snapshot pics when triggered. The paid gives you video. All accessible from anywhere. Foscam depends on the software you use. And if you have multiple cameras each needs to be configured to record if that is what you want.

In summary they both have pros and cons. But ease of use and quality go to Vuezone. Flexibility and configurability to Foscam.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant

Interesting commentary, Bob. I don't recall hearing complaints about Foscam susceptibility to network traffic, and its affect on performance. I was wondering what NVR software you use?

Thanks.

Mark
post #4 of 11 Old 11-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

Interesting commentary, Bob. I don't recall hearing complaints about Foscam susceptibility to network traffic, and its affect on performance. I was wondering what NVR software you use?

Thanks.

Mark

On my iPhones, Ipad and Android I use IP Camera Viewer which I love. On my desktop computer I use IP Camera Viewer from Desk Share (different company then the mobile SW).

Foscam sells Blue Iris which I havnt used but have some clients that do and like it. That has the recording capability.

The issue I have with the Foscams is the frame rate and freezes that often occur. By putting them on a separate wireless network has helped that significantly. And away from home it is very difficult for me to Pan and Tilt smoothly. That said I only have a 2mbs DSL line in my home so that is part of my issue. But in my vacation home I have the same internet speed and the Vuezones never freeze and have very smooth video. So their dedicated network architecture is definitely better.

Bob
post #5 of 11 Old 11-11-2013, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Foscam cameras have worked fine for me. No need to put them on a separate network.

I don't record currently. But for viewing, IP Cam Viewer Lite works real well.

Foscam will also let you send snapshots on motion detection to a FTP server. I have tested that and it works well. FileZilla Server is good for FTP.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-12-2013, 09:36 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo75 View Post

Foscam cameras have worked fine for me. No need to put them on a separate network.

I don't record currently. But for viewing, IP Cam Viewer Lite works real well.

Foscam will also let you send snapshots on motion detection to a FTP server. I have tested that and it works well. FileZilla Server is good for FTP.

Bob said "separate wireless network", so he is running wireless. Are your Foscam's wired or wireless?

Mark
post #7 of 11 Old 11-13-2013, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

Bob said "separate wireless network", so he is running wireless. Are your Foscam's wired or wireless?

Mark

Wireless
post #8 of 11 Old 11-13-2013, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant

Nice review Bob. Do you have any outside? Wondering how the batteries cope in cold and heat. Didn't they used to have a waterproof mount? I don't see it on their web site.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-13-2013, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

I have 2 cameras that are outside. Temperatures in the winter drop to the 20's. Both are still near full charge. Netgear was suppose to have a plastic case for them. I know they did release it. I place mine under an eve. Provides adequate protection. As I said they are over a year.

Bob
post #10 of 11 Old 11-13-2013, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

I have 2 cameras that are outside. Temperatures in the winter drop to the 20's. Both are still near full charge. Netgear was suppose to have a plastic case for them. I know they did release it. I place mine under an eve. Provides adequate protection. As I said they are over a year.

Bob

Thanks a lot Bob. Think I'll definitely give these a try. Do you know if there will be any black Friday deals?
post #11 of 11 Old 11-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_u View Post

Thanks a lot Bob. Think I'll definitely give these a try. Do you know if there will be any black Friday deals?

Dont know if they will or not. But you never know.

Bob
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page