Boxee Box Vs Boxee TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-02-2013, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im woundering if im missing something but a boxee box with live TV adaptor is around $250 but a boxee tv with built in live tv (no cloud dvr anymore) can be picked up for $50 online. I compared specs and the older boxee box doesn't make sense why it would be $200 more.

Could you also add boxee+ to the Boxee TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-02-2013, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I would be wary of spending much on either unit with Boxee being sold to Samsung and support at an end.

Putting that concern aside the Box is still quite usable. They are two very different units however, the Box has far more robust local and streaming playback capabilities and is by far the superior unit. With the demise of the BTV's cloud DVR functions it amounts to little more than a digital tuning box with more limited playback. It may have more playback capabilities than I am unaware of, I don't have one, but early reviews pointed this lack out. My Box still functions pretty well with Boxee+, but no, it can't installed on the BTV. There is also a working port of XBMC that runs on the Box. It's still being sorted out but works. I see the Box for sale used, I got one for $25. That was a lucky buy but I still see them for under $100. Just looking on CL in my area I see one for $60 and a tv dongle for $35. Anyway, the Box is the better unit but I wouldn't shell out the retail bux for a new one, if the Boxee Box server gets shut down the Box will lose online functionality.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-02-2013, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the information. I'm trying to achive a "wife fraindly" setup with a Digital tunner for OTA channels as well as built in Netflix, Amazon VOD and HBO Go apps all from the same device. I also run Plex media server from my HTPC.

Anyother solutions besides the Boxee? I would hate to loose the tunner guide function in the future.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-03-2013, 01:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Wait for Android TV devices ?, LG demoed some new boxes with built in OTA tuners at a trade show, these boxes use Android 4.2 as a base OS so various Android apps should hopefully be available in TV friendly form.

However there is no ETA on when Google will officially announce Android TV or if LG will be bring those boxes to market, they could have been demo products for others to license.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-03-2013, 12:41 PM

Boxee doesn't do Amazon, I'm not sure of HBO GO, but I doubt it.

I like Boxee's interface better than stock-XBMC, but only for local content & Netflix. It is wife-approved, but as has been said, it is dead. XBMC, Plex (which you already have..) or media browser will be my next choice.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-04-2013, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yeah, I don't know of a single device that does all you are looking for. The Boxee Box doesn't do Amazon or HBO Go. The Roku 3 does Netflix, HBO GO and Amazon plus it handles Plex very well but it hasn't got a TV tuner.
I guess it's wait and see what those Android TV devices can do or go for a Roku and some sort of a separate tuner.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page