Powerline Ethernet Streaming - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-03-2013, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have powerline Ethernet setup to two TVs in my house (basement and man floor)

In the basement I have a Popcorn Hour A-200, and 1080p streaming from my NAS works very well, with minimal stuttering on badly encoded mkv files.

On the main floor I have a Popcorn Hour A-110, and it can hardly play anything without stuttering, losing audio sync, or just freezing up.

I had also tried reversing the two boxes' locations, and I get the same results in their new locations leading me to believe its a problem with the A-110's processing power and not the powerline.
However, when I try the a-110 over regular Ethernet it plays those same files without a problem.

Is the a-110 that lacking in processing power, and also what should I replace it with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-03-2013, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Your issue is more related to the bitrate of your movies and the available bandwidth your power lines give you. Don't use the power line utility to determine throughput on the network as this will not give you the correct/accurate results; if possible connect a computer at the unit your experiencing an issue with and another computer at your router or switch that the other power line adapter is connected to....run either iperf/jperf to get an accurate representation of actual throughput/bandwidth between your adapters.
StratmanX likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-03-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Agreed, it is the powerline adapters bandwidth that is at issue. I have 4 PLA's around my house. The biggest impact on throughput is whether the circuit between the two PLA's goes across the poles of the breaker box or not. Throughput goes down dramatically across the poles.

I cannot stream high bitrate BD.m2ts rips between my server and my main viewing room using SMB because of lacking PLA throughput. I use DLNA instead of SMB because it is a lower overhead protocol (not much error checking) and can stream the highest bitrate BD titles perfectly.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4 of 11 Old 11-04-2013, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Agreed, it is the powerline adapters bandwidth that is at issue. I have 4 PLA's around my house. The biggest impact on throughput is whether the circuit between the two PLA's goes across the poles of the breaker box or not. Throughput goes down dramatically across the poles.

I cannot stream high bitrate BD.m2ts rips between my server and my main viewing room using SMB because of lacking PLA throughput. I use DLNA instead of SMB because it is a lower overhead protocol (not much error checking) and can stream the highest bitrate BD titles perfectly.

Hmmm, not good.

Couple questions:

1. Do you think I'm better off using wireless N instead of powerline?

2. About DLNA, currenlty on my NAS I'm using unRAID. Anyone know how I would get it to run DLNA?
BlacMagik likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-04-2013, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

PLA is always preferred over wireless. Wireless is never good for streaming full bitrate BD unless your player and wireless router are sitting in the same room.

I don't know anything about unRAID. I use Mezzmo on my server.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6 of 11 Old 11-04-2013, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

PLA is always preferred over wireless. Wireless is never good for streaming full bitrate BD unless your player and wireless router are sitting in the same room.

I don't know anything about unRAID. I use Mezzmo on my server.

I can't run ethernet cable to those TV locations, so I guess I'm pooched regarding streaming to where my A110 is. I'm wondering if a Roku 3 would fix it using it's dual-band wireless....or maybe it's ethernet is better than the A110 for powerline adapter.

Right now, I cant stream at all to my main floor TV.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-04-2013, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

The problem with Powerline throughput drops is specific AFCI circuit breakers, not any/all circuit breakers. There may also be other issues uncounted for with throughput drops such as interference. There are fixes to try but they may be impractical or too expensive for some.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-basics/31238-slow-homeplug-five-ways-to-boost-powerline-network-speed?showall=&start=1

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-howto/31316-slow-homeplug-try-a-powerline-filter
BlacMagik likes this.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-04-2013, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler27 View Post

I can't run ethernet cable to those TV locations, so I guess I'm pooched regarding streaming to where my A110 is. I'm wondering if a Roku 3 would fix it using it's dual-band wireless....or maybe it's ethernet is better than the A110 for powerline adapter.

Right now, I cant stream at all to my main floor TV.
If you cannot run cable and Powerline is not a satisfactory solution then you may want to try the latest and greatest in WiFi -- the AC routers. WiFi Bridges/Repeaters may also be a lower cost solution.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-04-2013, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 53
What model powerline are you using?
post #10 of 11 Old 11-04-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Netgear AV500's

- kelson h

post #11 of 11 Old 11-04-2013, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elario View Post

What model powerline are you using?

I'm using Actiontec powerline, from an Apple Extreme base station as the router.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page