Organizing movies & Backing up from Synology NAS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-05-2013, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am copying movies from number of hard disks to Synology NAS. I am organizing movies like in the following folders
moviesBefore80, animation, Bond movies, Documentaries etc

After copying movies to NAS, I will erase all movies from disks and copy back to the folder structure of NAS to external disks (typically 2tb). Some folder contents may be more than 2tb.

Appreciate if anybody can share tips on organizing movies and how you backup from NAS like Synology.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-13-2013, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have a Synology DS1813+ with 4GB RAM and 32TB in RAID6/SHR-2. I have several root folders setup such as Data, Documents, Downloads, Applications, and Libraries. Data is my TimeMachine back up folder with a special account that has quotas set to 4TB to store backup of old Apple Macintosh computers and the current 2013 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display. The Documents folder is shared with user accounts for family members in a typical file server model. Downloads is a folder with guest privileges for downloading files from the web. If its in Downloads and doesn't make it to another folder then its in danger of being blown out. Applications are organized by OS and typical contain the OS ISO image, plus stable drivers, and paid applicatons. Last and most relevant to your question is the Libraries folder. This contains Music and various Video folders. Each Music folder is organized the same way iTunes organizes the folder using Artist then Album. The Video folders top level are currently HD Movies, Movies, and International Movies. I previously had alphabetized split for the HD Movies like "HD Movies A-M". However, I now leverage the search and sort capabilities of XBMC so the high level HD Movies, etc. is enough. After the top level the movies are organized Movie title with year like "Zero Dark Thirty (2013)". I use Media Center Master to create and populate the folder structure on an external processing drive I use for ripping and encoding. The files are copied from the processing drive to their final destination. I rely on RAID6/SHR-2 for disaster recovery, although its not truly DR. Two disk protection makes me feel reasonably comfortable about data loss. I opted to use NAS drives as they claim better reliability. Technically, I should use and external extender in JBOD to handle the capacity OR a second DS1813+.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming