MKV2VOB on PS3 using AVCD-USB - Black screen w/ working audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-06-2013, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out a way to get my MKV's to play on my PS3.  So far I havne't been able to find anything that can help me out with my personal issues doing so.

I have used MKV2VOB to just make an mp4 out of 1080p Blu Ray disc which is 10+GB, and it splits it, and I put it on my USB drive, and it doesn't play. I can open it, but it is extremely choppy, like 1 frame every 4 seconds, with no audio.   

So then I found this guide:  http://www.avforums.com/threads/ps3-media-playback-explained.681190/

"For USB/External HDD playback with best audio/video quality Open Configuration tab, leave all options at default other than:-
-Output Type: change to AVCHD - USB
-Change transcoding codec to x264 high quality
-Check Use PCM instead of AC3 (Note: only use this option if PS3 is connected with HDMI to surround system, If your PS3 is connected to your sound system via any other method DO NOT check this box)
-Output File Extension: leave to Automatic
-Video Transcoding: Leave on Automatic

This method will create a folder named AVCHD in your chosen output folder with mt2s streams automatically split to chunks under 4Gb to fit on Fat32 file system. Copy this folder to the root of your Flash drive/USB hard drive"

I did these steps, put the AVCHD on my USB, open it up and I get beautiful audio, but just a black screen.

I located the video files on my PC that I had created, and they open up with video and audio on my Windows 8 machine using Windows Media Player.

I am using a PS3 hooked up to a Harmon/Kardon 1650 on a 50" Vizio.  My USB is a 16GB PNY Attache.  

Please let me know anything additional you may need to know.  Thanks for any help you can provide.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-11-2013, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Nothing?
post #3 of 5 Old 11-11-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 47
PS3 Media Server is an option for streaming off a PC or Mac.

With PS3 though, isn't there a 4GB filesize limit for playing directly off its internal hard drive or USB? This may be your issue. In this case, you'd either need to create smaller MP4 segments or burn an AVCHD or Blu-ray disc (if you don't want to split).

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #4 of 5 Old 11-11-2013, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

That's true since the PS3 only will read FAT32, but MKV2VOB is setup to split the files into 4GB segments...it's split in the AVHD foldr and each of the video files in the AVHD folder are 4GB or less.

post #5 of 5 Old 11-11-2013, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 47
You may be better off buying a cheap media player, like a WD TV Streaming Media Player. I tried all sorts of things to make my PS3 a media hub couple years ago and gave up due to shortcomings.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Harman Kardon Avr 1650 Audio Video Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page