Best Current Media Streamer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-07-2013, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hey gang, I have not been in the market for a media streamer for some time. Does anyone have any recommendations? Requirements are pretty simple.

- need to use it for Netflix
- stability and ease of use is a must
- if XBMC can be installed, even better
- need Wifi built in
- Will need to access media from a PC with a shared folder

I always thought WD TV Live is a good one but reviews have been less than stellar. Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-08-2013, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 47
As Netflix is a requirement, it rules out Mede8er, Dune and Popcorn Hour players. WD TV SMP is a decent choice. No DTS-MA support however. Boxee Box is also decent provided you can live with the fact it's no longer supported by Boxee and HD audio has drop-outs. If XBMC, then I'd recommend the Intel i3 with Windows (for Netflix) or the new Haswell boxes just coming out, but you'll need to add memory, mSSD, etc.

Roku also may be fine for you, with Plex (to manage your local media) installed somewhere (Windows/MAC machines, NAS, etc.).

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #3 of 9 Old 11-11-2013, 12:02 AM

Liked: 14
What are your audio requirements? Do you require DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD? Are you also playing Blu-ray rips?

If you do require these, then there simply is no single device which does it all.

Most Dune players would fulfill the requirement for media streaming from a local NAS, as well as playing Blu-ray rips and the HD audio part. For stability, Wifi, and Netflix, an inexpensive choice with be a Roku, or any decent Blu-ray player made within the past year.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-11-2013, 02:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Qubi box on Kickstarter, is discussed on XBMC forums too.

High end Qualcomm snapdragon 600 chip in it which is way faster than the low end Android boxes seen to date, XBMC acts as the UI to the box with support for Android apps with remote same as Vizio Co-Star, automatic jukebox, wireless 2.4 and 5Ghz, Dolby/DTS bitstreaming.

Pivos also have an new XBMC Android box coming by the end of the year their original ones hardware is starting to show it's age.

XBMC/Android is where all the action is, the old Sigma/Realtek boxes while still good at basic local media playback are dinosaurs technologically, they are going to die out as XBMC/Android boxes get more and more faster/better.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-11-2013, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi. I´m looking for this "Holy Grail" media streamer too.
Most of my files are from BD (ISO or MKV) and have HD-audio tracks (DD TrueHD or DTS-MA) and subtitles. So what I need it to do is:
- Be able to decode HD audio tracks (very important!)and downmix to stereo
- Handle Subtitles (very important)
- Netflix would be gratt!
- If XBMC can be installed, even better (Does XBMC decode hd-audio by itself as it does on a HTPC?)
- Doesnt need to be wireless...

Any sugestions?

Sorry for bad english...
post #6 of 9 Old 11-11-2013, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 47
To fill all of those requirements, I'd recommend an i3 Intel NUC with Windows 7 or 8 (for Netflix) and XBMC installed.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #7 of 9 Old 11-16-2013, 03:47 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 View Post

Qubi box on Kickstarter, is discussed on XBMC forums too.

High end Qualcomm snapdragon 600 chip in it which is way faster than the low end Android boxes seen to date, XBMC acts as the UI to the box with support for Android apps with remote same as Vizio Co-Star, automatic jukebox, wireless 2.4 and 5Ghz, Dolby/DTS bitstreaming.

Pivos also have an new XBMC Android box coming by the end of the year their original ones hardware is starting to show it's age.

XBMC/Android is where all the action is, the old Sigma/Realtek boxes while still good at basic local media playback are dinosaurs technologically, they are going to die out as XBMC/Android boxes get more and more faster/better.

Thanks heaps for sharing I am the project creator so if anyone has any questions more than happy to help.

Also second the Plex option if you are running a server...
post #8 of 9 Old 11-16-2013, 07:32 AM

Liked: 11
Wondering about this as well. I may be replacing my PS3 which for the past few years I've been using to stream AVI, MKV files from my PC to my AVR. Some time ago, the HDMI module on the AVR went kaput and possibly on the PS3 as well. Once I get the AVR back, I'll have a sure answer on the PS3.

I've been strongly considering the WD TV live as I have no interest in replacing the PS3 as I don't play games on it whatsoever. The price of the WD is intriguing as well. I hadn't heard any recurring negative reviews about it as the OP referred to.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-16-2013, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How about the GBox MX2. XBMC included, plus all kind of video and audio supported. You can check on Amazon.

Good luck.

Pana 60ST60, Onkyo TX-NR3009, OPPO BDP-103, Klipsch WF-35, Klipsch WS-24, Klipsch WC-24, Klipsch Reference RW-12d, BIC America DV62si.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page