WD or Roku - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-12-2013, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 19
After looking at all the media players. I'm not sure which one plays the better audio. At least giving me true pass through audio. My avr will do all the work.

Oh, 1080p and 3d is a must too.

In fact, I just thought of something. Seeing my sony tv gives me all the 3d options that I can set manually. Does it really matter if the media player is 3d ready or not. As long as it passes the video stream to my tv, the tv will do all work. Just like my Denon avr with take care of all the audio....

So looks like the WD tv live hub will work the best for my person network. Nas, pc etc streaming. Looks like the Roku 3 has more bells and whistles for the web stuff. Not sure of either about their audio capabilities.. true pass though audio. The more I read on here, doesn't seem that anyone really knows.

I don't know. Maybe I should wait till I pick up my Sony Blu-ray player first. See how well it handles my network stuff first. Only wish I had the money. I'd get an Oppo 103d. (Someday). But for now, the Sony bdp-790 will have to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-13-2013, 06:23 AM
3db
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I chose WD over Roku because it handles distributed local sources better than the ROKU. It also plays almost any format that you can throw at it. The down side is that it doesn't have nearly as many streaming apps as the Roku. Choose the WD if distributed local sources are a requirement.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-13-2013, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thanks for the help. That's kinda what I thought. But really hard to tell from just reading what I find on the web. Looks like the WD will take care of my local content the best.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-13-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 354
The WD Live-SMP is not a 3D player and does not bitstream DTS-HD, only True HD.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5 of 8 Old 11-14-2013, 06:21 AM
3db
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

The WD Live-SMP is not a 3D player and does not bitstream DTS-HD, only True HD.

3D is only part of the OP's requireent. The ROKU doesn't handle local distributed sources ie, it doesn't do Windows Shares nor can it read local attached storage on PCs. If that's a more important than 3D for the OP, then WD is the way to go despites its inability to play 3D or DTS-HD
post #6 of 8 Old 11-14-2013, 06:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db View Post

3D is only part of the OP's requireent.
But according to his original post, it is a must-have and he seems to be under the mistaken impression that any player can supply 3D as long as the HDTV does all the 3D work -- hence the information I provide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrybnbad View Post

Oh, 1080p and 3d is a must too. . . .

Seeing my sony tv gives me all the 3d options that I can set manually. Does it really matter if the media player is 3d ready or not. As long as it passes the video stream to my tv, the tv will do all work.

The WD Live is a good box -- I have two of them.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7 of 8 Old 11-14-2013, 07:08 AM
3db
Advanced Member

If the ROKU could do what the WD does in terms of local storage streaming, I would have chosen the ROKU as the WD is limited in its apps.

The following question is now mulling in my mind.. long winded but I need to explain the context first... When I upgrade my TV, I will get a dumb TV putting the money into picture quality over features and either let my media player or DVD/BluRay player handle the smarts. Now I extend that train of thought to the DVD/BluRay player..... buy them as dum and let the media player handle the smarts? I guess I would need to some looking around to see what apps are bing built into BluRay players these days. smile.gif
post #8 of 8 Old 11-14-2013, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 26
What you'll definitely get with your new BD player is Cinavia.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Things can only get better
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Roku , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player Wifi
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page