post #31 of 59 Old 02-10-2014, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

Hate?

Don't have a feeling towards them one way or the other. Just reporting my experience and why I'd not get near the hardware.

Please feel free to do so if you desire.

That is an interesting first post for a new comer however.

Do you not want to know if a person who is posting is connected with the company that makes the product being discussed kk? In this day and age seems to me a little healthy suspicion is in order.

Which is why I ASK and do not assume sir.

VidOn.me is a newcomer in the field of HW, we believe cooperation with DVDFab is very cool, and we are constantly improving our products, to fix bugs, to upgrade. All engineers are working hard to solve problems. Yes, just like some people don't like iPhone, there must be someone don't like VidOn.me, we can understand you.

jsmiddleton4 and kokap like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 Old 02-10-2014, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokap View Post

Flexibility... yep, but these Android devices don't support:
1. true 23.976 and 59.94 fps (only 24.000 and 60.000 Hz output)
2. auto frame rate
3. and the quality of BD3D playback is terrible (VidOn AV200 doesn't support BD3D yet, but players with the same hardware already "support" it).

Just got in my AV200 about a week ago. First note would be that the box has a metal frame and is well constructed, unlike the report on the AV100 earlier in this thread. I'm having great results on DVDs and much prefer the interface and functionality over the WDTV Live [which I have online as well]. I wasn't previously familiar with XBMC and it's pretty awesome. Way, way above the scraper built into the WD.

BluRay is as noted before still a work in progress. Some titles work fine, some not at all, and some in-between. There may be some correlation to the sound pass-through as the Dolby BluRays "seem" more problematic. But frankly this is very similar to my experience with my WD and right or wrong I have more confidence in this box's ability to actually get there. My WD experience overall was not good and I've spent too many hours screwing around with the bloody media library and the associated lockups it caused. Not too mention the issues around Blurays never stopping [until you unplug it] if you use the "select desired time" function - which you have to use since the chapter forward function doesn't work on BluRays.

In other words, YMMV but I don't have the experience that the WD is plug and play with a few small limitations on BluRay while the AV200 is an early development project. I've found the Vidon.me folk to be willing to acknowledge bugs and try to be helpful. Each unit has its pluses and minuses. I paid $150 for the AV200 and feel like there's horsepower in the box to get there.

That having been said for movies, I'm keeping the WD online for music, primarily because it will pass through 96/192K FLAC files to my Pioneer that can handle them, while the AV200 downsamples to 44.1K. I know the argument that the difference isn't audible [probably true, even] but I'd still like them passed straight through and not have to trust their digital manipulation. Even here though the WD is a mess as it doesn't properly read IDtags in the files and crashes if the FLAC file has an embedded jpeg larger than an unspecified size - I actually had to send in files to WD to prove that was happening.

And no I don't work for any of these companies; I sell high tech manufacturing gear for semiconductor, PV and photonics applications. WD in Fremont is actually a client.

Regards.
kokap likes this.
post #33 of 59 Old 02-10-2014, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
You're right that chapters don't work from BD ISOs and they can't from simple m2ts cause that container doesn't store them. If you rip to MKV however, you do get chapter support on the WDTV. I also had no sound issues with the WDTV playing these MKVs (YMMV). I've been following some Android threads cause I think XVMC rules (and I really hope WD gets there with their next player) but as others already mentioned those players (including the Vidonme) don't support autoframe (a must-have!), BD menu support is rudimentary at best and audio has passthrough issues.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #34 of 59 Old 02-10-2014, 10:20 PM

Thank you, WMConey. We are addressing some of the key issues, VidOn.me Box will get better. Thanks for your support!

post #35 of 59 Old 02-10-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post

You're right that chapters don't work from BD ISOs and they can't from simple m2ts cause that container doesn't store them. If you rip to MKV however, you do get chapter support on the WDTV. I also had no sound issues with the WDTV playing these MKVs (YMMV). I've been following some Android threads cause I think XVMC rules (and I really hope WD gets there with their next player) but as others already mentioned those players (including the Vidonme) don't support autoframe (a must-have!), BD menu support is rudimentary at best and audio has passthrough issues.

Well, I've read the threads on ripping to m2ts vs MKVs and subtitles and... and... and .... pass.....

Would you prefer problem set A [WDTV Live] or problem set B [the three you mention for Android boxes]?

I think the reality is that the WD box has an ecosystem of folks who "rip-around" the problems while the Android boxes are still developing one. I "touch" EVERY SINGLE Flac file that I intend to play on my WD and that is an amazing hassle. The folks who speak most highly of the WD box have adapted their behavior to meet the way it behaves. They spend an inordinate amount of time "Fixing" the ripped file so that it can play. And apologies - I'm sure many of those folks have automated the task and now its an easy one quick action. And I admire their work. But I just want to stick my BluRay in a drive, rip to an iso / folder and play it later.

Nice to think of the "next WD player" but they haven't talked of it so what problems will it solve? There's always the possibility that streaming wins and ripping your personal collection to a hard drive / NAS is an already diminishing market.....

Regards.
post #36 of 59 Old 02-11-2014, 01:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
The only problem I have to work around on the WDTV is its lack of forced subtitle support for MKVs which I do by manually turning them on. So far I haven't read of any standalone media player that does forced subs properly.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #37 of 59 Old 02-11-2014, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 24
But wolly, I like the iPhone.

Typical response however from DVDFab and those associated with it. The problem is I don't like something. Your product is not at fault. I am.

I do not "like" or "dislike" your product. I dislike end users spending money and getting trapped by companies who abuse them by putting out poorly designed and poorly tested products. I only care to alert potential victims of your company's established track record of doing so.

As noted you have put out a product that requires additional testing and based on reports for end users has quality control and hardware problems. BUT you expect paying end users to be your free beta testers so your engineers can "fix" it. And some how you point to "fixing it" as a good thing?

No sir you do not "understand me".

Sad way to do business. Very sad.

Had you released a early round of products to wide spread beta testers for their feedback, address issues prior to launch and then when released a "final" product to market your engineers would already have addressed issues that would be a different matter. THAT is quality.

That is not how DVDFab, nor apparenty your company, does things.

Hopefully I've gotten all email notifications turned off now so I quit getting notified. I'm sure my not liking something will continue to be the explanation for my criticism so not much else to add.

Really and seriously, best of luck to you who have given this company your money. I hope it works out for you at some point.

Why people give you money to be abused is difficult to understand. But they do so best of luck to them.

The surest way to silence a person like myself is to let the product do so. Let a quality product silence my criticism.

Is that happening? Is a quality product speaking for itself and in doing so silencing a person like myself, others who are voicing criticism about these VidOn.me products in the other threads on this forum, criticism in other threads on other forums about this product?

Nope.

Your media player has affirmed my opinion, not discredited it.

I hope folks who are researching media playback devices and in doing so read threads like these think seriously about not spending money on a unit that is produced and pushed to market in the way your products have been.

I also think any person associated in any way with a product should have to make a disclaimer in their signature line so readers know objectivity is suspect.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #38 of 59 Old 02-11-2014, 10:27 AM

jsmiddleton4:

Respectfully, in looking back over your posts in this thread I don't see any indication that you have any direct experience with this product. What I see is:

1) You feel Vidon.me doesn't properly credit a third party developer. That seems based on what you saw - or didn't see - on their web site. Personally, I'd be surprised if they deleted your question in their forums as those same forums have some pretty frank appraisals of product performance. But that's just my opinion.

2) You have a serious dislike of DVDFab and thus Vidon.me is guilty by association.

3) You believe, based apparently mostly on #2 that the AV200 was released too early in its development cycle.

One thing I try to remember is that a strongly held opinion is not the same thing as a fact. Your post #37 is a strongly held opinion stated as a moral absolute. Before I bought my BluRay player, I thought about getting an OPPO whose models range between US$600 and US$1200. So I read the threads on this site. Guess what - problems. So I bought a Pioneer Elite. Luckily I missed the firmware update that trashed networking because it was released without proper QA. I could go on - ever use Microsoft Vista? Or Google anything?

Another example is a set of BluTooth headphones I bought online that had incredible specs. Half the price of "branded" products. When they showed up, they were all bass and no midrange - and no tech support response. I posted in a forum that I could not recommend them. Meanwhile, ignoring my "don't buy" advice a group of three or four guys started playing around with them and found several ways to modify the equalization. One worked for me. Was I right or was I wrong?

Bottom line? You don't have to buy it. You didn't. No harm no foul. And anyone reading your posts can surely be considered to be "warned." But no one is "silencing" you as you claim in #37. Folks disagree, but if different viewpoints are not acceptable to you, then you are only reaffirming my moral absolutism comment above.And if somehow you think you "must" warn everyone in every thread about DVDFab and Vidon.me and their insidious business practices.... well,,,,

I appreciate your remarks about other manufacturers / chipsets / players as I like to keep my eye on things. But I'm not getting much out of the constant carping about DVDFab. I've used their product for over three years and can't remember any issues. But I don't push the envelope of its performance.

If we are to require disclosure of company affiliation, maybe we should require disclose of actual product use. Amazon does this and it helps tell you where the review is coming from.

Warm regards.
post #39 of 59 Old 02-12-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you for looking back over my posts.

My point has been clearly stated. My only desire is to give folks a heads up and not get sucked into this media player. Videon.me is directly connected with DVDFab. It is not guilt by association.

And once again I have no feelings towards DVDFab nor Videon.me and my posts are not driven by feelings.

Thank you for your concerns.

"If we are to require disclosure of company affiliation, maybe we should require disclose of actual product use."

I agree. And I've made it clear I'm not and not going to use this product. Has been full disclosure on my part.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #40 of 59 Old 02-12-2014, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
BTW VidOn AV200 begins to support BD3D (MVC decoder) with HDMI Frame Packing output. And it plays BD3D almost without frame drops.
See also http://forum.vidon.me/forum/hardware-support/vidon-me-box-av200/1165-blu-ray-3d
post #41 of 59 Old 05-12-2014, 07:51 PM

AV200's BD 3D playback feature now is much better than the first version(v.1.0.0.5), current version of VidOn XBMC is v 1.0.1.2, and we have fixed nearly all bugs in the past days. Most important is, the price now is 60% OFF, you will be shocked when you get this powerful box.

And if you guys have any issue about VidOn Box, post here and I will try my best to help you.

post #42 of 59 Old 05-13-2014, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Since the release of a new 'XBMC_HD_audio_test.apk', playing media files (via SMB) that contain HD audio, when the AV200 is directly connected to a surround sound amplifier, is excellent now smile.gif

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #43 of 59 Old 05-13-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

The price keeps dropping. Maybe they'll give them away?

post #44 of 59 Old 05-22-2014, 01:07 AM

Quote:

The price keeps dropping. Maybe they'll give them away?

It's a kind of promotion. Only 600 units provided in the first stage, not everyone will get it at that cheap price.

post #45 of 59 Old 05-22-2014, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wollyxu View Post

It's a kind of promotion. Only 600 units provided in the first stage, not everyone will get it at that cheap price.

How often are they being made? According to the website there are 600 units but 7399 reservations( as on 5 22 2014).
http://vidon.me/vidon_box_av200.htm
post #46 of 59 Old 05-22-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 View Post

How often are they being made? According to the website there are 600 units but 7399 reservations( as on 5 22 2014).
http://vidon.me/vidon_box_av200.htm

Dude..... do the math.... they offered 600 units and found that 7300+ people were interested! I'm guessing production is cranking up even as we speak type. [Grin]
post #47 of 59 Old 05-22-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Dude, you BELIEVE their web site?

Let's look at this logic shall we?

Some how its good news they are just NOW gearing up production.

Huh?

Any of those folks who bought the initial round of the AV200 for a chunk of change are due a rebate. I'd say they are also due a new AV200 so as to eliminate any of those that lock up from circulation.

I don't care how many orders the web site says are in place.

post #48 of 59 Old 05-22-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

^^what is your hate towards the AV200 box? every thread that pops up you are in to bash it left and right.
techflaws, duc135 and kokap like this.
post #49 of 59 Old 05-22-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Sad that you have to attempt to dismiss what I've shared by framing it as "hate".

When the dialog gets to that point though its over. Have a nice evening. I continue to hope that folks who paid a chunk of change for the AV200 will get some kind of rebate.

If anyone falls for the discount scam after reading here, well that's on you at this point.

post #50 of 59 Old 05-22-2014, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:

Sad that you have to attempt to dismiss what I've shared by framing it as "hate".

It's all in the delivery. I got the same impression after reading all of your "attacks" on this product and company. In the beginning I read your posts with the intention of gaining information, but after a while I just likened it to a disgruntled former customer who will take every opportunity to bash them. I'm not accusing you of doing that. I'm just saying that that's what your posts come across as. Just like PETA has good intentions, I hate their methods and will always ignore what they have to say. To me, their tactics hurt their cause more than it helps.
deewan and kokap like this.
post #51 of 59 Old 05-22-2014, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29

I think that this thread shows that this is an inferior piece of crap that the company claims it will stand by until you actually want to return it. When you want to return it you have to incur the shipping back to China which for any kind of guaranteed delivery will cost you over $70 (from the US) and they will only cover $10 of that. If you want to go with an non guaranteed delivery method there is a good chance they will never get it and you are screwed. 

The one I bought / received is a completely useless paperweight that doesn't work for anything not to mention the Ethernet port is completely defective which they admit and try to resolve by sending you a cable to use with it that also didn't work.

All I can say is buyer beware, the only good posts I've seen here about these units is from someone that works for the company itself. If they really want to do the right thing they should let me send the unit back to where it came from which is New Jersey and not China on my dime.

Shame on DVD Fab for getting in bed with this company / product! I really love your software but you should leave the hardware to someone else or at least let someone other than your customers Alpha Test them for you.

post #52 of 59 Old 05-23-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post

I think that this thread shows that this is an inferior piece of crap that the company claims it will stand by until you actually want to return it. When you want to return it you have to incur the shipping back to China which for any kind of guaranteed delivery will cost you over $70 (from the US) and they will only cover $10 of that. If you want to go with an non guaranteed delivery method there is a good chance they will never get it and you are screwed. 

The one I bought / received is a completely useless paperweight that doesn't work for anything not to mention the Ethernet port is completely defective which they admit and try to resolve by sending you a cable to use with it that also didn't work.

All I can say is buyer beware, the only good posts I've seen here about these units is from someone that works for the company itself. If they really want to do the right thing they should let me send the unit back to where it came from which is New Jersey and not China on my dime.

Shame on DVD Fab for getting in bed with this company / product! I really love your software but you should leave the hardware to someone else or at least let someone other than your customers Alpha Test them for you.

When I returned mine the US Postal Service charged me ~$35 which included tracking but not not proof of delivery. Vidon.me promptly acknowledged the tracking number I provided and told me when the box arrived. I was repeatedly given the choice of replace or refund. I chose replace and the new unit is actually working very well for BluRay 2D ISOs, which is my desired application. Much better in fact than the WDTV Live that sits next to it.

The New Jersey IMPORTER is not set up to EXPORT, which is why you can't send it there. Sorry, that's how international trade works.

I don't work for the company.

Note that I am only reporting my direct experience - not generalizing or questioning the experience of others.
post #53 of 59 Old 05-23-2014, 09:13 PM

Thank you, WMConey. Yes, the international trade is really a little complicated. We send out the boxes from Shenzhen, China, and we cooperated with a third party logistics company, they have the ability to delivery the package to every corner of the world at a cheap and reasonable price.

So if you want to send it back for replace or refund, you have to send it to China. But actually, in order to shorten your waiting time, when you tell us the tracking number after you have send out the box, we will ship a new box to you or begin to deal with the refund immediately. So you can choose the cheapest and slowest way to send it back.

post #54 of 59 Old 06-12-2014, 10:23 PM

Dear all,
The first beta version of VidOn Media Center is out.
VidOn Media Center is a launcher designed and developed all by ourselves. It’s more suitable for a large screen with the Metro style, you can install it on your box (AV200) to replace current launcher.

The functions completed currently are:
Fresh New Homepage: Small box, big world
User Guidance: Quick initial settings
May Apps: Install and manage Android apps

And the functions now in D & R stage are “Media Library Management”, “Multi-device Interaction”, “File Management”, etc. You will be able to use VidOn Media Center to add local resources and resources from LAN, collect media info smartly, browse and play added resources, control the box, and more.

It’s available for download at:
http://forum.vidon.me/index.php?/top...-box-for-free/

NOTE: Because it's a private testing version, so you may ask to login.

Your try-out experience (try-out report) can help us perfect the product as soon as possible. And some of your suggestions probably may be adopted in the official version, benefiting all users.

You're welcome to install and test it, when our product is upgraded to a stable version, users with outstanding reviews and adopted suggestions will get a fresh new engineering sample of the box of a souvenir edition!
post #55 of 59 Old 07-05-2014, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have this box (AV200) now - took from the friend.

Well, first of all, it does not support Blu-ray 3D with menu. You need to choose either to run Blu-ray 3D in 2D mode (and if disc 3D only you will not be even able to view anything) or choose the title (Main or via the complete list) - then the valid 48 Hz output being made.
Nice that we may instantly change Blu-ray region (A, B, C) via XBMC interface.

Unit also lack the support for many Blu-ray discs, e.g. they not run in any mode, neither in Blu-ray menu nor in Title mode. It is pretty bad when the disc is in ISO format (and you cannot dig to the biggest m2ts file to run directly).

Overall, I'm semi-satisfied and impatiently waiting for newer SDK which bring Android 4.4 on AV200 with auto-refresh and other promising features.

wollyxu, could you let us know the EAT for Android 4.4?
post #56 of 59 Old 07-05-2014, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
As posted by WollyXU today over on the VidOn.me forum: -

Quote:
 AV200 currently can only playback 3D blu-ray in main movie mode.
I found a FAQ from official website:
http://vidon.me/support_vidon_xbmc/faq/306.html

Does VidOn XBMC support 3D movies? If yes, how to set?

Yes. It supports 3D movies, but only under simple play mode currently.
To enable 3D function, you need to go to “System” -> “Settings” -> “Videos” -> “Blu-rays” to choose the 3D playback mode.

And when playing a 3D movie, please make sure you choose to play the main title, which is the pre-condition for a successful 3D playback.

EDIT: And a new version of VidOn XBMC has been launched today...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 07-05-2014 at 06:39 AM.
post #57 of 59 Old 07-07-2014, 04:25 AM

New XBMC version not improved menu support - tested on tens (!) titles which not worked on previous version and they do not on newer as well.
post #58 of 59 Old 07-08-2014, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamanRB View Post
New XBMC version not improved menu support - tested on tens (!) titles which not worked on previous version and they do not on newer as well.
Hi, RamanRB
This is the changelog of v1.1.0.2

Improved: Menu mode playback;
Improved: Fast forwarding and fast rewinding functions; image display speed after dragging the seek bar;
Improved: Audio volume control during playback synchronizes with the system audio volume;
Fixed: Playback is not smooth for certain video sources when switching subtitles;
Fixed: Location of subtitles cannot be adjusted for certain movies.

We do improved the menu mode playback, could you tell me which BD movie can not be played in Menu Mode? We will test it and fix it.

Regards.
post #59 of 59 Old 07-08-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wollyxu View Post
Hi, RamanRB
This is the changelog of v1.1.0.2

Improved: Menu mode playback;
Improved: Fast forwarding and fast rewinding functions; image display speed after dragging the seek bar;
Improved: Audio volume control during playback synchronizes with the system audio volume;
Fixed: Playback is not smooth for certain video sources when switching subtitles;
Fixed: Location of subtitles cannot be adjusted for certain movies.

We do improved the menu mode playback, could you tell me which BD movie can not be played in Menu Mode? We will test it and fix it.

Regards.
I have sent you PM.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
android box , The Boxee Box By D Link Hd Streaming Media Player , vidon box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page