*Official* VidOn.me AV200 Android Blu-ray Box Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 59 Old 11-20-2013, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
We have seen a lot of Android-based media streaming boxes with XBMC support. One of the aspects which has made the enthusiasts shy away from such boxes is the absence of full Blu-ray compatibility. Recently, this product was brought to my attention:

http://vidon.me/android_blu_ray_box.htm

These guys seem to be partnering with the developers of DVDFab to bring full Blu-ray ISO / folder structure functionality to the higher-end box (AV200).

The AV200 appears very interesting with these specifications:

CPU: Cortex™-A7 Quad-Core 1.3GHz (AllWinner A-31)
GPU: SGX544MP2 Eight-Core
RAM: 2GB DDR3
Storage: 8GB
Wi-Fi: 802.11 b/g/n

Full specifications here: http://vidon.me/android_blu_ray_box.htm#specifications

HD audio passthrough is being promised. Blu-ray menu functionality too! If these specifications pan out, it would make an interesting box indeed. Just placing this thread here to get user opinion / owners to chime in with their experience.

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor, AnandTech Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 11-20-2013, 12:45 PM

Liked: 10
That thing has a lot of promise.

I need a damn Boxee replacement already! I saw a few of these on Kickstarter and I'm hoping something with a quick XBMC will show up.
post #3 of 59 Old 11-20-2013, 02:17 PM

Do you think this box will let bluray folder dts hd Master 7.1 thru to my sony a/v center ?
post #4 of 59 Old 11-21-2013, 02:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Possibly but it remains to be seen, wait until it appears on the market.

I don't know how they will manage menu support as the libbluray open source BD menu system only works on a handful of titles, so they must be plugging something else into XBMC (while avoiding Cinavia too). Still very interesting to see what comes out of it.

Vidonme are an XBMC sponsor like Pivos who on their forums have also said their next box will do HD audio bitstreaming and 24Hz too.

Looks like things are finally coming together with some good stuff in the pipeline.
post #5 of 59 Old 11-21-2013, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
I need a damn Boxee replacement already! I saw a few of these on Kickstarter and I'm hoping something with a quick XBMC will show up.
Intel NUC with OpenELEC if you don't need Netflix. Works great as a turn on and use XBMC appliance. If you do need Netflix, then XBMC installed under Windows.

The VidOn.me box looks interesting, but we need to see what and how it actually delivers as we've seen plenty of hype and disappointing delivery too many times by too many manufacturers before. For example, things like "it will support 3D movies from head to toe in the near future" should be taken with a grain of salt. I tried the Pivos DS (too sluggish, even under Linux), the Little Black Box (ditto, and buggy), and G-Box Midnight MX2 (ditto).

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #6 of 59 Old 12-21-2013, 01:41 PM

I ask Dvdfab the other day about this av200 media player that they are selling for 225. if it was 32 bit or 64-bit they stated that it's 32 bit has a a7 chip , and it will pass thru hd master 7.1 uncompressed. should be fast enough but right now I've got a laptop 64-bit running windows seven and has an HDMI output connector . I have that connected to Sony 7. 1 Video Ctr. and I'm using the power DVD 13, working really nice playing my iso files ect . can conrol menu via ipad mini or phone using their app. I was temped to order the new av-200 player but im tired of wasting my money being their unwilling beta tester all these years ha. Im waiting for someone else to take the plung ha. i could buy it and send it back but from alaska it cost big bucks. It would be nice to have a hardware media player to free up my laptop. Someone buy it ha. Tom

post #7 of 59 Old 12-21-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I asked DVDFab and Vidon about their claiming credit for work done by PIVOS and XMBC.ORG regarding porting xmbc to a hardware platform. They didn't reply but just deleted my question.

I'm not going to buy a product that from the get go isn't being fully honest and claiming credit for the work someone else did.

Could be an oversight on their part on their web site. Which happens. But then you correct the misrepresentation, you don't ignore the question.

All of these hardware units live and breath based on their firmware/software.

Given my experience with DVDFab software PLUS the misrepresentation I'd be very hesitant to buy one of these units. For the price you are looking at a med8er product........

http://xbmc.org/xbmc-for-android/

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #8 of 59 Old 12-21-2013, 02:34 PM

Thanks for that great info.  Its to bad dvdfab and many other american product is be taken over by other countrys. They dont seem to have to follow the same rules . Doesnt do much good to have a patent anymore. for now ill just be happy using my laptop out big screen.

post #9 of 59 Old 12-22-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

The only way the arm of the law as controlled by Hollywood business can be avoided is for these folks to be based in somewhere like China. Other wise we'd not have any software that enables us to archive our blurays and use them on our media servers.

I understand why they are based in China.

I am one of those who owns all the blurays I archive. When challenged by that I always offer to take a picture of my bluray library to demonstrate the truth of it. But let's be honest software like DVDFab, ANYDvd, Imtoo, etc., are being use to copy unowned sources. The only way those who make those software products can get away with it is to not be American, or western friendly country, based.

That is of course way off subject.

DVDFab and Vidon.me could have corrected their misrepresentation but did not. Their reaction confirms my suspicion and hence fuels the lack of confidence about spending nearly 200 bucks on their hardware.

Others can make up their own minds of course.

PIVOS I'm sure will be offering a quad core ARM based product, as noted some very well supported Real-Tek 1186 3D ISO capable products available at that price point as well.

VidOn.Me is mentioned as a sponser on xmbc.org. And that is of course a good thing. It is the taking credit for PIVOS's work that is unsettling.......

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #10 of 59 Old 01-18-2014, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 29

While I can't comment on the AV200 I can on the AV100 that I got the other day. So far I am not impressed at all. I got it as a "Freebee" when I ordered the DVD Fab All In One Lifetime during the Holidays. I was very hopeful that this was going to be something that would really do most of what I was looking for. While that is still possible so far this is just a very lightweight paperweight! Apparently they are using substandard Ethernet Connectors as I can't get a link on mine for the life of me. If you wiggle the cable around you might get a link for a second or two. The company states that I am not using a "Standard" Ethernet Cable which is funny as I work in a Data Center and deal with / test and certify connections all the time.

Anyway they said that they would send me a cable and a connector so I can connect to my existing network cable. The other alternative would be to return it to them which I am not sure where that would be. It shipped to me from New Jersey but came from China so who knows. I will be complaining to DVD Fab who is pushing the product. I hope that they have some influence with them or stops pushing them as I like DVD Fab as a company and hope they don't have any connection with this company.

post #11 of 59 Old 01-19-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 58
For anyone who's interested...

Hardware version 3.1.3 was released a few days ago, which offers some nice improvements: http://forum.vidon.me/forum/hardware-support/vidon-me-box-av200

And a new version of VidOn.me XMBC is on the way: http://forum.vidon.me/forum/software-support/vidon-xbmc/302-new-releases-vidon-xbmc-v-1-0-0-5-is-out

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #12 of 59 Old 01-19-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

" I like DVD Fab as a company and hope they don't have any connection with this company."

It appears they are directly connected.

I wish you the best of luck.

post #13 of 59 Old 01-19-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I updated my (AV200) box earlier today. I'm quite happy with the development so far.

Currently, I'm only using it for video file play back but as I understand it these little Android boxes can offer way more.

A few days ago I tested a 'full-disc' .ISO file back-up of Cloud Atlas. Menu navigation worked perfectly...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #14 of 59 Old 01-19-2014, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's the thing and the main problem with anything DVDFab is connected with. Seeing it with these media players from the get go.

DVDFab abuses its end users by placing them in a position to be forced unpaid beta testers. And if you don't play along, their support/developers decide something is wrong with you.

So its a good thing you're happy with the development so far? How's that? Did you sign on to be a beta tester for unstable hardware?

Sorry but there's a difference between updating firmware on products that are reasonable solid, such as adding DTS MA HD pass through to the WDTV SMP unit, and putting out an untested poorly implemented product and letting end users do the testing for bugs for free.

Remembering that the quad core is near 200 bucks.

Glad you are feeling better about the unit. Get used to being a guinea pig however with endless attempts at getting the thing "right".

I'll wait for PIVOS and their AMLogic quad core unit or maybe even consider a Meder8 product and I'll be at the same price point.

Now if DVDFab would like to give us the unit for next to nothing, be honest about the thing being an end user/community developed unit (in the same vein as open source software) hey I'm all for it. Glad to help. Yea DVDFab. That'd be great and in fact that is what they are doing anyway. I'd be one of the first to sign up to receive the hardware. Really.

That is not what is happening. You get to pay them for the privilege of being their beta testers and they make the money.

Why folks can't seem to see the high end users are chumps factor in that kind of marketing/development strategy is hard for me to understand.

The only way that kind of thing stops is we don't give companies who do business that way our money. My licenses are expiring over the next few months and I'm moving on. Can't imagine buying hardware from them. Especially this kind of hardware.

I'm done posting. I'm actually not that wrapped up with DVDFab's issues as my posts would make it seem.

I do hope for the best for you end users.

post #15 of 59 Old 01-19-2014, 11:50 PM

I did the pre-order back in November. $150 and will ship at the end of November. The bad vibes started up from the start. Even before I got it an email showed up telling me to update the firmware before trying to use it. It arrived on December 26th. I sent my first email of a dozen that day asking for a refund.

I have 2 unRaid server setup with over 2000 blu-ray/dvd rips (folder structure). Out of the box, using SMB in XBMC to stream a movie I had lip synch delay of about 5 seconds with both Dolby TrueHD & DTS HD Master. And audio drop outs every minute or so. By random chance I found it would not pass through DTS HD High Resolution audio ("The American" 2010(?) with George Clooney).

They convinced me to stick with it and I went though 2 or 3 firmware updates in the next couple weeks. Things improved but the audio drop outs persisted. I gave in and asked to return it. It took another week of emails & intervention by my bank (dispute charges) for them to finally give me an address to send it for a refund... in China. I will think long and hard before I jump in on something like this again.

Happy ending... bought a Dune HD Smart D1, generated an index and wall of covers using MyMovies (had that already) and could not be more pleased. Solid as a rock playing anything I throw at it.

post #16 of 59 Old 01-23-2014, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12

I don't think DVDFab or VidOn.me will delete any posts. VidOn.me doesn't have much experience on Hardware area, so the cooperation with DVDFab is very important, because with DVDFab's tech, they can make the blu-ray navigation on the Android Box. 

post #17 of 59 Old 01-23-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

wolly....

You a DVDFab or Videon.me employee? Representative?

post #18 of 59 Old 01-23-2014, 12:28 PM

I had hope this would be a good thing.....its still early and am trying to stay optimistic but it looks like I grab another Dune HD Smart D1 while I can
post #19 of 59 Old 01-23-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirernut697 View Post

I had hope this would be a good thing.....its still early and am trying to stay optimistic but it looks like I grab another Dune HD Smart D1 while I can
As someone who has been buying, using and testing hardware based media players since 2001. If all you guys want is a device that can play bog standard .MKV files or .ISO files without (Java based) menu's, then you may be better off buying something like a Dune, PCH, Xtreamer etc. Because these Android based media players offer far greater flexibility and offer far greater user interaction than your basic 'plug in and play' media player!

So yes, if you elect to buy one of these 'fully configurable' Android base devices you may (probably will) feel like a beta tester, but that's the nature of these devices. You will however, get a lot out of enjoyment out of them, if you are prepared to spend the time and effort required to put into them!

Like I said before, they are not your basic 'plug in and play' media player device!

EDIT: I guess I should have mentioned that unlike the Dune and PCH devices, these Android devices offer the ability to install (fully configurable) Android based 'Apps' to increase their feature sets. The media player on VidOn.me STB is a custom build of XBMC (currenly v1.0.0.6), which is getting better with every release...

post #20 of 59 Old 01-23-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Huh?

Buy a Dune if you are what technically illiterate and need plug n play? But buy a not ready for prime time piece of hard ware if you are smart and technically savvy so you can fiddle with it?

Really?

post #21 of 59 Old 01-23-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

As someone who has been buying, using and testing hardware based media players since 2001. If all you guys want is a device that can play bog standard .MKV files or .ISO files without (Java based) menu's, then you may be better off buying something like a Dune, PCH, Xtreamer etc. Because these Android based media players offer far greater flexibility and offer far greater user interaction than your basic 'plug in and play' media player!

So yes, if you elect to buy one of these 'fully configurable' Android base devices you may (probably will) feel like a beta tester, but that's the nature of these devices. You will however, get a lot out of enjoyment out of them, if you are prepared to spend the time and effort required to put into them!

Like I said before, they are not your basic 'plug in and play' media player device!

There is a fine line between spending time on a unit and having to constantly tweak a unit to get it to work right. Yes the android units have all the bells and whistles but what they lack is consistent playback support. To date there has not been a single android based player that has nailed this area. There has always been try this build of xbmc or enable or disable hard decoding cant use bitstream with that. They have come a long ways but still no were near the level of what I would call every day use that the family can enjoy. They are still at the hobbyist level
post #22 of 59 Old 01-25-2014, 08:39 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

EDIT: I guess I should have mentioned that unlike the Dune and PCH devices, these Android devices offer the ability to install (fully configurable) Android based 'Apps' to increase their feature sets. The media player on VidOn.me STB is a custom build of XBMC (currenly v1.0.0.6), which is getting better with every release...

Flexibility... yep, but these Android devices don't support:
1. true 23.976 and 59.94 fps (only 24.000 and 60.000 Hz output)
2. auto frame rate
3. and the quality of BD3D playback is terrible (VidOn AV200 doesn't support BD3D yet, but players with the same hardware already "support" it).
post #23 of 59 Old 01-25-2014, 08:54 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

wolly....

You a DVDFab or Videon.me employee? Representative?

smile.gif Wolly Xu is an Administrator of VidOn web-site, http://forum.vidon.me/member/2-wolly-xu
post #24 of 59 Old 01-25-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. Always good to know what point of view posters may be coming from.

post #25 of 59 Old 01-25-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. Always good to know what point of view posters may be coming from.
Well jsmiddleton4,

Given you've made your point several times that you don't like this Android based STB, there's really no need for you to keep repeating yourself!

I wish you luck on finding a device that suits your requirements.

post #26 of 59 Old 01-25-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't see any repeat in my recent comment. If someone is posting about a product and is associated with that product in fairness we should know.

Are you associated with Videon.me or DVDFab SeeMore....?

Not worried about finding unit that will meet my needs. Already have one that is good enough for now. The Pivos AIOS.

Once past a certain point in the hardware the issue with these units is not the hardware, it is the software-firmware. My experience on the software side of anything associated with DVDFab, as this media player obviously is, the software side is a moving target. New releases break what old releases had working correctly.

That is hardly the kind of context from which I want my media player to come from. Again not cheap piece of hardware.

That has nothing to do with anything "Android".

I'm looking forward to the next wave of AMLogic chipped based hardware myself. Should be the hardware platform many of us are looking for as long as the company behind the hardware demonstrates they have the firmware side addressed. Something based on years of experience with DVDFab that they have NOT demonstrated.

post #27 of 59 Old 01-25-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you associated with Videon.me or DVDFab SeeMore....?
No... From time to time I've been sent free hardware and software products to test from various product manufacturers, but I've always reported 'what it is'. Indeed, when it comes to product testing, I've made my feelings clear.... If something's no good, I've said it's no good! I have no allegiance to anyone!

But look, although I've been testing hardware and software products for well over 10 years. I'm not going to say all my reports are perfect but I would like to think they are as impartial as I can offer! Indeed, some of the products I've tested have never made it to market!

Sufficed to say, if you would like to do some (impartial) product testing... ask!

post #28 of 59 Old 01-25-2014, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Me I'm a registered nurse by trade but have been around computers/audio for long time. Back in the day when we put an NEC V20 chip in for an Intel 8080 so as to soup our our XT's. Used DOS batch files for Menus.

Finding that the disclaimers about whose who in the zoo seem to be missing these days here on AVS Forum. If not asked folks don't seem to feel the need to divulge their connections to companies.

When I say a product sucks or is good I have absolutely no allegiance to any company. I'm just a lowly end user.

post #29 of 59 Old 01-25-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:

Me I'm a registered nurse by trade but have been around computers/audio for long time. Back in the day when we put an NEC V20 chip in for an Intel 8080 so as to soup our our XT's. Used DOS batch files for Menus.

Finding that the disclaimers about whose who in the zoo seem to be missing these days here on AVS Forum. If not asked folks don't seem to feel the need to divulge their connections to companies.

When I say a product sucks or is good I have absolutely no allegiance to any company. I'm just a lowly end user.

To be honest, I personally do not understand why you hate vidonme so much.
Is this because Pivos AIOS is your favourite android box and you thought vidonme stole its credit?
Well, many android stb are on the market and why do you think vidonme is the one to blame for taking credit?

As for Pivos, I too am a Pivos fan and it is indeed one of the best STB available on the market now.

However, I do notice that you have strong bias against this company and its STB.
If anyone who post something positively about this STB, you begin to suspect that personal might be related to the company.
This is not how we suppose to discuss a hardware on AVS.

What SeeMoreDigital, kokap and interwebtech have posted here can be seen as relevant content and impartial product testing result. I believe that is the post and content people wanna to see when they come here.

If you do actually used this box and have problems with it, why not share the actual problems.
post #30 of 59 Old 01-25-2014, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Hate?

Don't have a feeling towards them one way or the other. Just reporting my experience and why I'd not get near the hardware.

Please feel free to do so if you desire.

That is an interesting first post for a new comer however.

Do you not want to know if a person who is posting is connected with the company that makes the product being discussed kk? In this day and age seems to me a little healthy suspicion is in order.

Which is why I ASK and do not assume sir.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
android box , The Boxee Box By D Link Hd Streaming Media Player , vidon box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page