*Official* KDLinks HD*** Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 412 Old 07-15-2014, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Its seems that a200 unit is a 720. They probably licensed the unit to other manufacturers and put their own chip and firmware in it. Makes sense since they prob dont want to pay sigma or realtek so they use android which is prob open source. This explains why u wont find it on kdlinks website. But im just spitballing here. I retired my kdlinks 720 months ago due to a bad audio popping episode. Almost killed my speakers. Using the wdtv live smp exclusively now. I still have the 720. Could repurpose it as a nas. Small files though due to the 10/100 ethernet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 412 Old 07-15-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Why anyone would spend $200.00 on a new device from a company that won't properly support their existing devices? Especially when there are competing products in the same price range that at this point do an almost perfect job of playback. Dune and Mede8er players can both be had for under $200.00

It just makes no sense to me. I wish you all the best with this A200 device, but in my experience these little Cortex Android boxes always end up being a letdown.

Also - It's my opinion that companies like KDLinks operate by following the"device bandwagon". They release a mediocre device that happens to be cheap and easy to release quickly. It ships with buggy software that's never properly supported, but they make some quick cash and move on the next shiny thing in the device bandwagon.

Looky here!
post #363 of 412 Old 07-15-2014, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
Its seems that a200 unit is a 720. They probably licensed the unit to other manufacturers and put their own chip and firmware in it. Makes sense since they prob dont want to pay sigma or realtek so they use android which is prob open source. This explains why u wont find it on kdlinks website. But im just spitballing here. I retired my kdlinks 720 months ago due to a bad audio popping episode. Almost killed my speakers. Using the wdtv live smp exclusively now. I still have the 720. Could repurpose it as a nas. Small files though due to the 10/100 ethernet.

maybe maybe not, wait and see what some of the users on here think that already ordered there's the kdlinks website might simply not be up to date yet I tried contacting the Eric guy from kdlinks via email with no response as of yet . But I did notice in the pictures on amazon they removed the component ports and just have the Yellow Vid + white&Red audio ports "aka RCA ports" , 1 digital coax "audio" port and 1 HDMI port.... who tf uses rca hookups now days with an HD box

if it is the same hd720 box maybe it'll have a better UI with android and also run XBMC in 1080p instead of hardware/firmware limited to 720p like the $79-100 boxes out there "like the G-Box MX2 midnight player"

if the extra $50 doesn't give better interface and just gives the ability to play android crap like angry birds or whatnot it's not worth it
post #364 of 412 Old 07-16-2014, 01:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
I just got a HD700 from Amazon and could use some help.

This thing wants to play all of my mkv files in fast forward or with stuttering. I have to reset the unit and then change the HDMI output to RAW, the SURROUND SOUND to HD AUDIO, and LIP SYNC to OFF. Then it works, but only until I power the unit down and up again. Then I have to factory reset and go through that process each time. I've tried changing the lip sync control on my receiver hoping it would help but it didn't. Is there some setting I am mixing or do I have a lemon.

If it helps, my rips are from my Blu-ray collection where I am ripping to mkv with lossless audio.
post #365 of 412 Old 07-16-2014, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
Why anyone would spend $200.00 on a new device from a company that won't properly support their existing devices? Especially when there are competing products in the same price range that at this point do an almost perfect job of playback. Dune and Mede8er players can both be had for under $200.00

It just makes no sense to me. I wish you all the best with this A200 device, but in my experience these little Cortex Android boxes always end up being a letdown.

Also - It's my opinion that companies like KDLinks operate by following the"device bandwagon". They release a mediocre device that happens to be cheap and easy to release quickly. It ships with buggy software that's never properly supported, but they make some quick cash and move on the next shiny thing in the device bandwagon.
Perhaps compared to Dune players. I thought $160 was not cheap at all when I bought the kdlinks720 back in 11/2013. The $ is still the same today. Considering a lot of the players (like you said) are around $100 or less. I find it hard to purchase players that are discontinued or will not release new firmware. Especially with all the change going on with media (cinavia).
post #366 of 412 Old 07-16-2014, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernsorrow View Post
maybe maybe not, wait and see what some of the users on here think ...
Yes, let's see. Curious.

Quote:
I tried contacting the Eric guy from kdlinks via email
I have spoken to Eric several times through email. His seems nice and genuinely invested but he is more of a salesperson for kdlinks. When it comes to technical, he refers to his team and reports back with (what seems like) copy/paste instructions. That's the problems with this company. Like Robnix says, they are too spread out. Their product line is vast. Rice Cookers? Support for kdlinks ends here, in this forum. There is just no community whatsoever. Not trying to bash kdlinks. It's just an "Is what it is" / take it or leave it kind of device.
post #367 of 412 Old 07-16-2014, 01:07 PM

hrm now there's one user in here with a possibly bad a200 if I read the posts right 4 other members have one on order... even if they all have 100% works out the box units 1 in 5 isn't that great of odds...

Re-looking into my purchase plan.. Mede8er 600x3d + WD 2tb external usb or KDLinks HD720 + 2tb WDD black internal "already own the hard drive"
post #368 of 412 Old 07-16-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
Perhaps compared to Dune players. I thought $160 was not cheap at all when I bought the kdlinks720 back in 11/2013. The $ is still the same today. Considering a lot of the players (like you said) are around $100 or less. I find it hard to purchase players that are discontinued or will not release new firmware. Especially with all the change going on with media (cinavia).
The Dune TV303D will play pretty much anything you throw at it and supports forced subtitles in MKV files with the proper patch. It supports 3D ISO's and it's always been $199.00. It has a proper jukebox via either Yadis or Zappiti, and gets firmware updates.

The Mede8er 600X3D is $190.00 and will play pretty much anything you throw at it, the Jukebox isn't as full featured as the TV303D but it's better than the kdlinks one, there's no forced sub support, but the support for 3D MKV files is excellent. They have a very active forum, and a dedicated dev team that's constantly improving the product. Surprisingly it uses the SAME chipset as the kdlinks720, however the dev team has ironed out the bugs and made it a VERY solid device.

Cinavia is only an issue with players that support full BR menus. It's not a JAVA issue, it's a licensing issue. You have to license the player with the BR Cartel, which requires supporting Cinavia.

Looky here!
post #369 of 412 Old 07-16-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post
I just got a HD700 from Amazon and could use some help.

This thing wants to play all of my mkv files in fast forward or with stuttering. I have to reset the unit and then change the HDMI output to RAW, the SURROUND SOUND to HD AUDIO, and LIP SYNC to OFF. Then it works, but only until I power the unit down and up again. Then I have to factory reset and go through that process each time. I've tried changing the lip sync control on my receiver hoping it would help but it didn't. Is there some setting I am mixing or do I have a lemon.

If it helps, my rips are from my Blu-ray collection where I am ripping to mkv with lossless audio.
If you got it from Amazon send it back. Go over to http://www.mediaconceptusa.com and buy a mede8er MED600X3D.

Looky here!
post #370 of 412 Old 07-16-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
hrm now there's one user in here with a possibly bad a200 if I read the posts right 4 other members have one on order... even if they all have 100% works out the box units 1 in 5 isn't that great of odds...

Re-looking into my purchase plan.. Mede8er 600x3d + WD 2tb external usb or KDLinks HD720 + 2tb WDD black internal "already own the hard drive"
Save yourself time and hassle and buy the Mede8er.

Looky here!
post #371 of 412 Old 07-16-2014, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If you got it from Amazon send it back. Go over to http://www.mediaconceptusa.com and buy a mede8er MED600X3D.
Looks nice. Is there anything the KDlinks does that this doesn't do?
post #372 of 412 Old 07-16-2014, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Wondering what the 800X3D and 1000X3D add on top of the 600X3D

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 w/ Denon AVR-1612, Polk Audio RM6750 | Sony Bravia XBR-60LX900 w/ Sony HTCT550W 3D Sound Bar | Sony SXRD KDS-R70XBR2 w/ Onkyo HT-S770 | Sony PS3 (Slim) | DIRECTV Genie HR44-500, C41s | Harmony 700
post #373 of 412 Old 07-16-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Looks nice. Is there anything the KDlinks does that this doesn't do?
Cause headaches and frustration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat View Post
Wondering what the 800X3D and 1000X3D add on top of the 600X3D
There are official threads for the mede8er players in this very forum.

Looky here!
post #374 of 412 Old 07-16-2014, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Cause headaches and frustration.

There are official threads for the mede8er players in this very forum.
After looking at the mede8er forum, it looks like there are plenty of headaches over there as well.
post #375 of 412 Old 07-16-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
After looking at the mede8er forum, it looks like there are plenty of headaches over there as well.
Well hell there are always more people willing to post complaining about an item than people bothering to take the time post a praise about it. But honestly all these devices are chinese made who aren't at the leaderboard quality wise on electronics as it is and these arn't major name brands either "Samsung , Sony" etc. "also chinese made". Stuff is just made over there as the factories are cheaper and more efficient so it's all down to what brand has the better quality control, used the higher quality componets , boards, wires, etc.etc. and give a good support base for the product they produce. Having 2x hardware specs etc.etc means nothing if they give you 1 set of firmware loaded with bugs and either never do or take 1/2 a year to roll out an update to iron out the problems.. all Being said alot of people like the HD720 at it's price point in a way such as "I wish it had better UI or an xxx feature but for $150 it's a good product".. I'm kinda leaning towards mede8er 600 for like $199 shipped then add external HDD to it but was considering kdlinks as it had a few better specs, lower price and a HDD bay since I allready have a 2tb WD sata III black drive laying around "upgraded my pc drives to 4tb + and SSD". Where-as buying a non HDD bay device I'd be buying an external drive
post #376 of 412 Old 07-17-2014, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Feel free to point me towards the kdlinks forums or any other method of support where kdlinks is trying to help people with issues. The ONE person they had, "Eric", went from "the dev team is working on it" to radio silence. Same chipset and sdk on both players, completely different attitude on development and support.

Looky here!
post #377 of 412 Old 07-17-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Feel free to point me towards the kdlinks forums or any other method of support where kdlinks is trying to help people with issues. The ONE person they had, "Eric", went from "the dev team is working on it" to radio silence. Same chipset and sdk on both players, completely different attitude on development and support.

I tried to email that eric guy was asking why the new a200 wasn't on website , if he had any details on it and a few other things and never heard back.
post #378 of 412 Old 07-17-2014, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Well I went ahead and ordered the KDlink A200 off of Amazon and should get it by Saturday. I think the HD700 I received has some bug issue where it want to either stutter or play fast mkvs with HD audio. I can resolve the issue by turning the lip sync off and then back on, but it's a PITA. I tried different HDMI cables and different settings within the receiver but nothing helped. Once I receive the A200 I'll return the HD700.
post #379 of 412 Old 07-18-2014, 06:43 PM

so anybody from previous posts get theirs in yet ? like it ?
post #380 of 412 Old 07-18-2014, 07:03 PM

post #381 of 412 Old 07-18-2014, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
so anybody from previous posts get theirs in yet ? like it ?
I should get mine tomorrow, but I work nights so I probably won't get to play with it too much until Sunday. I'll post my impressions and a brief comparison to the HD700.
post #382 of 412 Old 07-19-2014, 03:02 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post
Anyone have 1080p 24Hz turned on? My Epson 6010 projector is 1080p 24Hz capable but when I turn that option on in the KDL it causes problems. What appears to be happening is when an ISO switches from one m2ts file to another it puts the recording into a semi-fast forward mode, it's fast forwarding slightly and audio is fast forwarding as well. So I'm curious if anyone else has enabled this option.
You, sir, have solved my HD audio dropout issues on my AIOS HD Media Center! When DTS HD MA and Dolby TrueHD were played on Blu-ray movie files, it was touch and go as the audio would intermittently dropout whether you played the file long enough, if you paused, reversed or fast forwarded. I used to have to reset the input on the receiver all of the time to get the HD audio to return.
post #383 of 412 Old 07-19-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
You, sir, have solved my HD audio dropout issues on my AIOS HD Media Center! When DTS HD MA and Dolby TrueHD were played on Blu-ray movie files, it was touch and go as the audio would intermittently dropout whether you played the file long enough, if you paused, reversed or fast forwarded. I used to have to reset the input on the receiver all of the time to get the HD audio to return.
What is your display device? I'm very disappointed with KDLinks support. I reported this issue many months ago and it was never fixed when I tried in more recent firmware updates. I reported many other problems as well and don't think any of them have been fixed, none of them ever mentioned in firmware "release notes" (I put that in quotes because the release notes are a few words with etc thrown on end, stupid, but nothing I reported ever mentioned in any firmware update release notes). I was told by support that this product would be evolving with a lot of changes but never happened, very frustrating.

Last edited by WynsWrld98; 07-19-2014 at 09:22 AM.
post #384 of 412 Old 07-19-2014, 01:51 PM

new info on amazon on the a200 listed in bottom of specs/desciption :

- A200: Very good on App Support + Decoding ability (90% of HD720)
- HD720: Super Strong Local Media Files Support. Not good on Apps.
post #385 of 412 Old 07-19-2014, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
My three dune hd players support bluray menus. They do not play 3D movies, and for a while, i thought of buying a mede8er just for mkv 3d support. Now that I dont care anymore about 3D, I couldn't be happier with my Dunes...As of today, since all of the new media streamers are Cinavia infected, I would chose one of the mede8er players. They seem to have good support, and active forums to help you with problems...

Stef
post #386 of 412 Old 07-19-2014, 03:40 PM

went ahead and ordered a A200 ,if I don't like it I will send back to amazon and pickup a Mede8er 800X3d. I already have the 2tb WD black hdd since I upgraded my pc's to a 4tb ... or maybe order both media players and compare

btw Cinavia has been a pita for me since I got into ripping, and or downloading movies but I've learned to live with it just put the file on a usb stick pop it into any samsung hdtv with usb slot and watch through the tv just need to jack the volume up to 8times higher than normal listening level
post #387 of 412 Old 07-19-2014, 03:43 PM

no problems playing files off a mushkin ventura pro 64gb usb 3.0 thumb drive on samsung 55" UN55H6350AFXZA or my 37" samsung bedroom tv LN37D550k1FXZA just as said above need to jack the volume wayyy the hell up
post #388 of 412 Old 07-21-2014, 03:08 AM
Advanced Member

Received the A200 yesterday and the HD700 earlier this week and after playing around with them for several hours here is my initial impression.

I like the HD700 but for whatever reason it could play my Mkv files with DTS HD audio fast. The only way I could fix it was to turn the lip sync on and then back off. I tried everything to get this to not be the case but no luck. I figured it was some sort anomaly because there is no way all those positive amazon reviews would exist if everyone's player did this.

I then got the A200 thinking it would solve my problems. And it did...but then created new ones. Initially it played everything as it should have and then without reason the truehd 7.1 audio on a mkv file stopped outputting. Through several minutes of putzing around settings I noticed that somehow the player switched to dvi output. No clue why. I switched it back and now the truehd audio was playing, but stuttering. Several more minutes of switching various settings back and forth and I got it to work. I should note that ultimately I don't think I changed anything in the settings from what they originally were, it just decided to work again after some switching around.

Then I played some dts hd mkvs. They appeared to play fine at first but after a few seconds I heard audio pops coming out of various speakers at several second intervals. I couldn't get this remedied so I tried these same files on the previous HD700 and they played fine after I did my little lip sync dance. Then for whatever reason I decided to try reformatting my hard drive and putting the test files back on. I did this and now everything played fine. I tried several more tests and everything seemed to play ok, so hopefully reformatting the drive fixed whatever issue.

As far as apps and the android experience on the A200, I wouldn't hold your breath. It's extremely underwhelming. I couldn't get xbmc to recognize my hard drive or files. Figuring out how to do simple things is a huge pain in the ass because there are no real instructions. Some buttons on the remote make no since.

I'm sending the HD700 back because the lip sync anomaly and I'll give the A200 a shot for a few more weeks, but it's on a short leash. I came close to boxing it up several times tonight, but if it can keep playing my mkvs with lossless audio then that's all I really want, I'm not going to use the apps or android functions. I essentially bought the A200 for $200 for it to function as the $140 HD700 should have, which sucks.
post #389 of 412 Old 07-21-2014, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I own a HD200 and happy with it except for the UI, but at $200 price tag; why would someone buy A200 instead of Dune HD TV303D or mede8er med600x3d in the same price range
post #390 of 412 Old 07-21-2014, 04:37 PM

haven't upgraded to 7.1 yet myself still using a medium-high end klipsch 5.1 setup with Harmon kardon receiver for like 6-7 years now... so if it's just a 7.1 audio problem I won't notice it.. mine still hasn't shipped yet but talking with amazon chat it's passed the preparing for shipment stage and is now "boxed up" so it cannot be cancel if I wanted to.. will try out the a200 if run into problems , hate the ui etc. just send it back as a defective item and amazon will pay to return it. Then I'll just pick-up the +$40 mede8er 800x3D wanted kdlinks for the better features and android stuff since everything I own pretty much is droid or windows 8.1 powered but now I'm kinda on the fence on if I'll ever use any of the android stuff on the a2
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Kdlinks Hd720 Extreme Full Hd 1080p 3d Media Player With Internal Hdd Bay Gigabit Network Built In W
Gear in this thread - Hd720 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page