*Official* KDLinks HD*** Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 16 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-14-2014, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 608
DO a reboot without the drive installed in unit?? then reinstall.

MickinCT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2014, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post
Will try tonight and I'll let you know.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Mickinct, this is what I did: disconnected the unit from its power supply. Removed the internal drive and disconnected the USB cable of the hub that has both external drives. Connected the power and turned it on. Did a restore factory settings. Rebooted. Shut down. Disconnected the power, connected both internal and external drives. connected power. turned on.

Same thing. It only recognizes the USB1 which is the internal drive.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

ok. did you send a e-mail to Eric? you did I read your other posts. did you try to putting drive in from the ext in the unit. The hub could be the issue.

MickinCT

Last edited by mickinct; 11-15-2014 at 05:57 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
ok. did you send a e-mail to Eric? you did I read your other posts. did you try to putting drive in from the ext in the unit. The hub could be the issue.
I emailed him. He has been very helpful, but we haven't found the issue. He wanted me to reformat the drives, but like I said, it's uncomfortable for me to move around almost 5 TB of data out of the drives in order to reformat them.

The thing is the hub works fine on my laptop. As soon as I connect that cable I can see both external drives fine. Just not in the A200, which is weird since I could see them all fine at some point. It simply stopped showing them.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

TRY INSTALLING external drive hdd into the a200.

MickinCT
Old 11-16-2014, 04:16 AM

Quote:
TRY INSTALLING external drive hdd into the a200.
mickinct, the results of my tests:

- It recognized the USB stick with one video on it.

- It doesn't recognize the External drive connected to it without the USB hub, the laptop does see it.

- The folder with the issue still cannot be seen. I copied from the folder to the root of the drive and the video is shown and can be played, but not when on its corresponding folder.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's official! The hard drive is toast. Bought it in January so at least it's still under warranty. Eric's offered to swap the HD720 as well. Kind of hard to know which is the culprit. I've got months of rework to do now.
1.4 T down the tubes.

Last edited by Fishman1; 12-01-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Try changing the controller board on the hdd.

MickinCT
Old 11-18-2014, 05:57 PM

That's more involvement than it's worth. Buy the board, maybe it'll work, maybe it won't. Cost you 50 bucks to find out. If it's the platter or heads your screwed. But while you do that, you gotta change the chip out with the old one from the existing board. At this point you've voided your warranty.

This is a boot sector/catalog issue on the platter. The drive spins fine.

No thanks.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:43 PM
jcg
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I have a question regarding the HD720. I have an older TV which only has component inputs and I have a projector with HDMI inputs. I currently hook up my bluray player component outputs to the A/V receiver and the bluray HDMI output to the A/V receiver. I set the bluray audio output to HDMI auto.

When I'm watching the bluray player on the TV the audio goes over HDMI and the video goes over component. When I watch the bluray on the projector both video and audio go over HDMI. I don't need to change any setup on the A/V receiver or bluray player.

Has anyone tested this on the HD720 to see if it will work in this configuration?

jcg
Old 11-21-2014, 01:54 PM

Is anyone using back to back wireless routers to stream their HD content from the 'puter? I have a dual-n600 wireless router and looking to get another as a client to bypass the slow wi-fi on the HD720 by using the wired port to the client router. I'll be using them as a wireless bridge in the 5ghz mode. Doing this until my internal HDD issues are resolved
Old 11-25-2014, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was over at the KD Links webpage for the HD720 and noticed a new firmware, v. 1.5 - it says this:

"Resolve ISO Subtitle ON/OFF issue; Video Repeat All selection can be saved now; Few other minor enhancements."

I'm going to give a whirl in a bit.

Update: Updated without a problem, can't see much difference. Seems a tad quicker, but might be a placebo effect.

Last edited by iaflyer; 12-03-2014 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:48 AM

Been a long time since I've posted on this forum and this thread has been very informative.

Just got the Kdlinks 720 and only spent an hour or so with it but while the internal HD works well AND, it's connected to my network and I can play files from my network, my computer doesn't see the KDL on the network. I've read you can drag and drop files from you your computer but since it doesn't show up, I can't. What am I missing?

One other minor thing, both USB direct and USB Wireless keyboards aren't working. Only the Enter and arrow keys work. Is there a setting I've missed somewhere or does it only work with certain keyboards?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-26-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman1 View Post
It's official! The hard drive is toast. Bought it in January so at least it's still under warranty. Eric's offered to swap the HD720 as well. Kind of hard to know which is the culprit. I've got months of rework to do now.
1.4 gigs down the tubes.
In the future, I would recommend a Raid 6 server with hot spare. This would allow loss of 2 drives with no data loss. You are lucky that it was only 1.4 gigs of data. Most users on here have 10, 20, 30 or even 40 TB servers that contain all their movies and data.

Rule of thumb: Build a mirrored array to prevent catastrophic loss of data.
Fishman1 likes this.

Last edited by blackssr; 11-26-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
In the future, I would recommend a Raid 6 server with hot spare. This would allow loss of 2 drives with no data loss. You are lucky that it was only 1.4 gigs of data. Most users on here have 10, 20, 30 or even 40 GB servers that contain all their movies and data.

I think you two are saying GB but really mean TB.
Fishman1 likes this.

Looky here!
Old 11-26-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
I think you two are saying GB but really mean TB.
Thanks so much. Corrected now.
Fishman1 likes this.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

NEW MODEL dec/ 2014

MickinCT
Old 11-26-2014, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Does this thing support ARC and CEC via HDMI?
Old 11-27-2014, 09:06 AM

Wow, Eric has been a big help so far.
Seems like now the only problem I'm having is that when I try to login to any computer in the network I get the 'Login failed' message. Not sure what I'm missing. I certainly can use this box without needing to connect but I really would like to access all the shared folders on these computers.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:06 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
In the future, I would recommend a Raid 6 server with hot spare. This would allow loss of 2 drives with no data loss. You are lucky that it was only 1.4 gigs of data. Most users on here have 10, 20, 30 or even 40 TB servers that contain all their movies and data.

Well, that would be nice if I had several hundred dollars to spend, I would have already done so. As it was I lost the drive while saving (I have exwife and kids so...) for THE SECOND drive which was to be the backup. Not all of us have thousands of dollars much less hundreds to throw on hardware.

BTW, I corrected the "gigs" to T, for the ocd among us.

And third, I guess nobody is using a back-to-back host/client wireless system...
Old 12-03-2014, 07:05 AM

bitrate capability

Hi, Can the KDLinks HD720 play 1080P MPG2 files with bit rate of 20Mbit/s or greater (ideally around 35Mbit/s) for extended periods of time without crashing?

I am looking for an alternative to the more expensive Eyezone and Brightsign players. This is for use in an art gallery. The device needs to play several high quality 1080p files in a loop for extended periods without falling over – a similar requirement to digital signage etc.

Many thanks
Old 12-03-2014, 07:11 AM

Icons coloured screens etc between videos

Hi again, Does this player flash up black/blue screens or show icons between playing a list of videos?

KDLinks site seems to suggest that it does not but I've heard otherwise.

Many thanks.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:22 AM

Quote:
NEW MODEL dec/ 2014
Mick, a quick update on my case, just so you know:

I got two new drives, copied all information of my two old drives to them and the unit sees everything perfect. I reformatted the old drives and now the unit also sees them. I don't know why, but the problem is caused by taking out the drives out of my usb without ejecting them in windows first. I tried this a couple of times. Go figure.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivateUse View Post
I have been playing with the A200 and here are some tricks that may be helpful:

1.) If you are using HDMI - make sure your Audio is set to Analog. If you don't and you play a movie that is Dolby or DTS (and you aren't connected to sound system via fiber of digital cable) no sound will come out of your TV (causing you to believe something is broken).

2.) If you want to connect to your internal HDD when using XMBC (which is awesome) you need to add files by going to root directory and selecting Storage->USB0 (this one sentence took me hours to figure out).

3.) Both the native movie player and the XMBC can create jukebox appearance with DVD covers and movie information. For native player, Select Movie, then brower to where your movies are and select the menu button on your remote and select Advanced Scrape. If this is the first time running it, select Scrape All if you are adding new movies just select Scrape Smart (if it doesn't get all you movies just keep doing the Scrape Smart until it does). For XBMC, it prompts you automatically when add a source file (you can populate for movies, TV shows or Music)

4.) Best Skin for XBMC I have found it Touched, which is very clean and creates home level selections for Movies, TV Shows and Music and you add those sources (very user friendly)

5.) There does not appear to be a native Samba feature however you can install QTADB and that gives you the ability to copy content over wireless (but USB would be WAY faster)
I have a200 unit too and I can not get any audio from HDMI when I set the audio analog (or digital)
When I first boguht the unit, the sound output worked well but some after time (played with android and bricked it, then contacted Eric and got firmware reset instructions and files from him) the sound stopped working. Now I have to get the sound from RCA output. Is there a way to fix that? I have Toshiba Regza RV55 and sound input set to digital under HDMI which was working at first (when I switched to RCA, changed to analog and then got sound from TV)
Thanks in advance
Old 12-10-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerthh2k View Post
Thanks. Will try!!!

Did you ever get this resolved?

Does anybody know how to make this work?

I have an A200 plugged into my network via ethernet cable. For the life of me I can't get my computer (also on the network) to see the A200 show up so I can drag and drop files onto the internal hard drive on the A200.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolausp View Post
Did you ever get this resolved?

Does anybody know how to make this work?

I have an A200 plugged into my network via ethernet cable. For the life of me I can't get my computer (also on the network) to see the A200 show up so I can drag and drop files onto the internal hard drive on the A200.
Prefer USB cable because it is faster than ethernet. I've tried to enable SMB but no luck so far.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cNone View Post
I have a200 unit too and I can not get any audio from HDMI when I set the audio analog (or digital)
When I first boguht the unit, the sound output worked well but some after time (played with android and bricked it, then contacted Eric and got firmware reset instructions and files from him) the sound stopped working. Now I have to get the sound from RCA output. Is there a way to fix that? I have Toshiba Regza RV55 and sound input set to digital under HDMI which was working at first (when I switched to RCA, changed to analog and then got sound from TV)
Thanks in advance
I have elaborated the issue a little more:
When in default player the HDMI works as expected but in android interface I have to connect the RCA cable. If RCA not connected, there is no way to get audio from any of android apps including YouTube and XBMC.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman1 View Post
1.4 T down the tubes.
Well, after all said and done, Eric is off the hook! ;o)

Turns out this is one of Seagate's ST2000DM001 - 2TB 3-platter .667TB per platter drives (bought from Amazon) which have firmware issues that can destroy the drive. Boy didn't they try to hide THAT information! Thanks to a reviewer on Amazon for bringing that out! Seagate did confirm "some" of that when asked. The warranty is covered and, until I get the replacement back, I bought a new one straight from Seagate. I checked the new one for the "dimple" in the upper right corner of the case and it was deep; indicating the 2-platter 1TBpp drive. A shallow dimple would be the 3-platter .667 POS.

In other good news, the firmware upgrade to v1.4 from v1.1 also cleared up a lot of wireless issues; i.e. link dropping out, wireless bitrates, etc. The unit is a lot more stable as well. Again to Eric and the KD folks, good job!

Last edited by Fishman1; 12-15-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cNone View Post
Prefer USB cable because it is faster than ethernet. I've tried to enable SMB but no luck so far.

Are you saying that you connect to your network via USB cable somehow? I'm confused at what you're describing here, as it relates to my post/question.

Tags
Kdlinks Hd720 Extreme Full Hd 1080p 3d Media Player With Internal Hdd Bay Gigabit Network Built In W