*Official* KDLinks HD*** Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 18 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #511 of 532 Old 01-14-2015, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I got the seagate pipeline version which says it's made for this type of use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 532 Old 01-14-2015, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Great you will happy with it.

MickinCT
post #513 of 532 Old 01-15-2015, 06:24 AM

In anticipation of my hd720 arriving today, once i have it wired in to my network, will my other PCs recognize it as an additional network drive or is there a setting i have to change either on the device or my PC? I'm running Vista on the PC which contains all of my movies/shows. I want to transfer them over to the device first thing.
post #514 of 532 Old 01-15-2015, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by louballs View Post
In anticipation of my hd720 arriving today, once i have it wired in to my network, will my other PCs recognize it as an additional network drive or is there a setting i have to change either on the device or my PC? I'm running Vista on the PC which contains all of my movies/shows. I want to transfer them over to the device first thing.
How do you plan to handle forced subs?
post #515 of 532 Old 01-15-2015, 02:56 PM

Forgive me, but what do you mean?
post #516 of 532 Old 01-16-2015, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Quote:
Forgive me, but what do you mean?
All the recent players, do not have a BluRay engine so they ignore the flag to play forced subs. How are going to handle it with the KDlnks? District 9 is a popular movie with forced subs. When the aliens speak the english words appear automatically. This is called a forced sub. Avatar, Dances with wolves are some other titles that have forced subs. How do you plan to deal with this? The subtitle support on the KDlinks is extensive but forced sub support is non existent.
post #517 of 532 Old 01-16-2015, 09:06 AM

Ah, I see. Well I'm not really sure. Most of the movies I download usually have those subs hard-coded into the file. I normally don't rip BR movies. What are my options if I decide to?
post #518 of 532 Old 01-17-2015, 01:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Hey Everyone,

...Do you guys think it is worth the extra $40 bucks to purchase the A200 over the HD720? I am an android user, so i'm comfortable with the OS. I am not overly concerned with apps (netflix, etc.) as I also have a chromecast.

Lou
So, really glad I'm back on AVS and this thread is really peaking my interest in the KDLinks' wares. I too am trying to decide whether the 720 or the A200 is the better choice. My plan: is to rip my Blu-ray collection to ISOs and put it on a fat hard drive or three, then use a KDLink and a Harmony One remote to make picking a movie as effortless as possible for me AND my wife (since I can't seem to nab a Sony jukebox for anything less than a mint on eBay).

So, does the A200 have trade-offs w/ functionality or playback due to the differing chipsets, or is it undeniably 'the future'? 3D isn't critical now, but would be nice for later use. I want full ISO rips so that later I can tap whatever extras and features exist in either a player, or...

Admittedly, I look at this as a stop-gap for a few years until I can save bank and get time to set up a proper HTPC, so there's that. Figure, $500 for a set-top box and 4-6TB of storage, that should get me a few yrs down the pike.

Thanks!

Champion of truth, beauty and misunderstood giant killer robots.
post #519 of 532 Old 01-19-2015, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosieruser View Post
I'll post again when I know if switching my problem files from mp4 to mkv makes any difference.
So far, every mkv file I have tried on the A200 has played without a hitch, including the files that stopped playing in mp4 format. I don't know if there's a firmware/hardware issue with mp4 on the A200, and wonder if anyone else has experienced issues with random mp4's stopping suddenly.

For now, I'm converting everything to mkv, which just takes a couple of minutes extra time.
post #520 of 532 Old 01-19-2015, 04:22 PM

So far I love this player. It's played everything I've tried and is very easy to use. The only issue I've noticed is that voice seems a bit low. I use "auto" for the sound. I have to turn it up higher than my cable or BR player. Not a big deal but something to note.
post #521 of 532 Old 01-21-2015, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Does anyone know if the HD720 plays .tts files

MickinCT
post #522 of 532 Old 01-22-2015, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
For me the decision between the 720 and the 200 came down to picture quality. I was told the 720 was better.. Someone here asked about forced subs as the 720 (and I assume 200 as well) does not recognize the forced flag....my technique is to demux the files from my ripped BD ISO using tsMuxerGUI then figure out if the forced subs are in their own stream or contained in one of the existing ones...obviously the ones on their own are easiest to deal with as you just remux that stream back with the video and audio streams as an ISO file and voila. Where it gets a bit tricky is when they are contained in another stream. For those I use BDSup2Sub exporting the forced captions from the stream first and then re-exporting them a second time without the forced flag on. I then remux this file with the video and audio streams as an ISO. As mentioned The 720 doesn't recognize the forced flag as it doesn't have a BD engine so you basically are creating a non forced PGS sub stream from the contained forced subs. This seems to work fine for me. I leave the subtitle default language on the 720 as English. Of course for those BDs that do not have forced subs I do not include a subtitle stream. My preference is ISO format not MKV for these types of movies because for some reason the 720 tends to clip off the first forced caption when it's remuxed as an MKV with MKVmerge. Hope that helps.
post #523 of 532 Old 01-22-2015, 02:50 PM

Thanks, that does help!
post #524 of 532 Old Yesterday, 08:20 AM

Liked: 11
Subtitles (et al)

Just got a HD700 about a week ago. My BD are captured as .ISO files, and so far all have played without flaws (only about 5 watched movies, but so far, so good (e.g., no noticeable glitches, etc).

One initial question though is that it appears to be automatically starting with the Subtitles on, and not always in my selected language (English). So I have to manually turn off subtitles. Is there a way to make 'No Subtitles' the automatic default startup?

Also, what is the general consensus around here that this unit is going to be supported down the road? I have read this forum pages and noticed Eric responded very well in the early pages, but then I saw signs of non-response later. I come from the Netgear NeoTV-550 product line, which was eventually abandoned by Netgear. I sure hate to have another 'white elephant' on my hands. What I feel so far is that the HD700 needs work in the user interface. If they came out with something with some 'wow factor', they could really have something going for them.
post #525 of 532 Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM

There is a subtitle option to do that with the 720. I set mine to English. When I originalIy ripped my BDs I left everything intact - that was a mistake as I painfully learned especially when it came to forced subtitles as I mentioned in my post above. I assume your movies have do not have forced subs in which case turning subtitles off in the main menu will work but if they do or future ones you add do you will need a process to handle them as they wont show up automatically. Can't comment on future support for the 700. The 720 has had 5 firmware updates in the year I've owned mine..
post #526 of 532 Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1Nger View Post
For me the decision between the 720 and the 200 came down to picture quality. I was told the 720 was better.. Someone here asked about forced subs as the 720 (and I assume 200 as well) does not recognize the forced flag....my technique is to demux the files from my ripped BD ISO using tsMuxerGUI then figure out if the forced subs are in their own stream or contained in one of the existing ones...obviously the ones on their own are easiest to deal with as you just remux that stream back with the video and audio streams as an ISO file and voila. Where it gets a bit tricky is when they are contained in another stream. For those I use BDSup2Sub exporting the forced captions from the stream first and then re-exporting them a second time without the forced flag on. I then remux this file with the video and audio streams as an ISO. As mentioned The 720 doesn't recognize the forced flag as it doesn't have a BD engine so you basically are creating a non forced PGS sub stream from the contained forced subs. This seems to work fine for me. I leave the subtitle default language on the 720 as English. Of course for those BDs that do not have forced subs I do not include a subtitle stream. My preference is ISO format not MKV for these types of movies because for some reason the 720 tends to clip off the first forced caption when it's remuxed as an MKV with MKVmerge. Hope that helps.
I'm going to have to bookmark this or something for future reference for when I need it but this is a ridiculous amount of effort to get forced subtitles included. Especially if you're not a BD ripping expert.

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #527 of 532 Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM

Welcome to the club. It's taken me a little over a year to figure this all out. I started on a simple quest to get my movie collection of a few hundred titles onto a device to make selection and playback easier than having to rifle through all my disks. Once you get a process in place you will be fine. It's a hobby for most of us here. I can walk you through what I do if that helps.
post #528 of 532 Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1Nger View Post
Welcome to the club. It's taken me a little over a year to figure this all out. I started on a simple quest to get my movie collection of a few hundred titles onto a device to make selection and playback easier than having to rifle through all my disks. Once you get a process in place you will be fine. It's a hobby for most of us here. I can walk you through what I do if that helps.
If you could, that would be great. I could probably figure it out by the tools you listed but it would take a lot longer.

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #529 of 532 Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM

Liked: 11
HD700: MyMovies Collection Management

Has anybody gotten the 'MyMovies Collection Management' application (JohnBlanker's post (97)) to successfully function with the HD700? I have subfolders for each movie and the generated 'about.jpg', but when I select Info, nothing happens.
post #530 of 532 Old Today, 01:28 PM

I'll assume you've been able to get your movies ripped to ISO and mounted using a virtual drive so I'll start there. Remember you are creating a default English PGS subtitle stream not marked as forced that will play if you have the subtitle option turned on and you've selected English as the default language.

Identifying the forced subs is your next step. Easiest way is to check the spreadsheet maintained in the Movies with Forced Subtitles forum here on AVS thanks to the good folks who keep that up to date. Separate streams are the easiest to work with as all you do is remux the forced track along with the video and audio streams you've previously demuxed with TSMUXERGUI back into a BD ISO and you're all set.

Those that are contained have to be stripped out of the track using BDSup2Sub and then exported/saved as a non forced (forced flag off) PGS file and then remuxed as per above.

When using BDSup2Sub make sure you've set the frames per second to the correct rate. Most BDs are 23.976. Set the Global Flag drop down menu to clear all after you've first extracted the forced subs from the stream in which they are contained.. Remember you are creating a non forced default English stream of only the "forced" captions. That's the key to making this work. There are guides for both TSMuxerGui and BDSup2Sub which will help you out as well. Do a search. Good luck.
post #531 of 532 Unread Today, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB123 View Post
Has anybody gotten the 'MyMovies Collection Management' application (JohnBlanker's post (97)) to successfully function with the HD700? I have subfolders for each movie and the generated 'about.jpg', but when I select Info, nothing happens.
I don't think it works for HD700, that feature is meant for HD720
post #532 of 532 Unread Today, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a synology 211j, kdlinks 720 presently and a Sonos Playbar with sub and surround speakers. My problem is the Playbar does not convert DTS signals to 5.1. It is

my understanding that the A200 with xmbc will do the downmixing for me. Which makes me think the A200 would work for me. Will the A200, when using xmbc have

problems playing files from the 211j and will the files play in 1080p? Thought i read somewhere from 211j thru xmbc would only play 720. Sorry for the long Question.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Kdlinks Hd720 Extreme Full Hd 1080p 3d Media Player With Internal Hdd Bay Gigabit Network Built In W
Gear in this thread - Hd720 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page