*Official* KDLinks HD*** Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 657 Old 02-13-2015, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

I am trying to decide between the Latest Version of the WD TV Media Player and the KDLinks 720.
1. Does the KDLinks 720 also upscale videos that are of lower resolution to 1080P?
2. How is the menu/navigation as compared to WD TV Media Player?
3. Does this pass thru the DTS HD Master Audio to an AV Receiver on the HDMI?

I have owned the WD Player in the past and was happy with the navigation and playback capabilities. My primary use would be to play video files off a Hard Disk that is directly attached to the Media Player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 657 Old 02-13-2015, 04:30 PM

Liked: 0
So I don't clutter the board with unnecessary mess, I thought I would ask this question here.

I do a lot of travelling and would like some recommendations on a media player.

The Requirements

It must be $200 or less
Be able to play MKV and MP4 movies
Internal Memory slot capable of Supporting at least a 2TB drive and be able to swap them out as needed.

Previously I had a Seagate FreeAgent Theater HD Media Player STCEA101-RK. While it worked for awhile, the cons eventually began to outweigh the pro's.

Right now I have my eyes set on the Kdlinks HD720 but I was wondering if I had missed any other alternatives. Any Suggestions at all would be helpful.
post #543 of 657 Old 02-15-2015, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltbrannigan View Post
So I don't clutter the board with unnecessary mess, I thought I would ask this question here.

I do a lot of travelling and would like some recommendations on a media player.

The Requirements

It must be $200 or less
Be able to play MKV and MP4 movies
Internal Memory slot capable of Supporting at least a 2TB drive and be able to swap them out as needed.

Previously I had a Seagate FreeAgent Theater HD Media Player STCEA101-RK. While it worked for awhile, the cons eventually began to outweigh the pro's.

Right now I have my eyes set on the Kdlinks HD720 but I was wondering if I had missed any other alternatives. Any Suggestions at all would be helpful.
From your list of requirements, the HD720 does everything you want. I've had mine for about a full year now & am quite satisfied.

- Mike
post #544 of 657 Old 02-15-2015, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by uchukaiju View Post
From your list of requirements, the HD720 does everything you want. I've had mine for about a full year now & am quite satisfied.

- Mike
I've got 3 720 units and the A200

MickinCT
post #545 of 657 Old 02-15-2015, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 22
sent my a200 back to amazon. couldnt get the darn thing to work correctly. went back to my iconbit..
post #546 of 657 Old 02-15-2015, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat View Post
Can either the 720 or the A200 access the amazon instant video service?

The A200 should be able to access it if you install the Amazon app as it is a low-end Android device designed for Internet media services like Netflix, YouTube, and others. The 720 has a web browser, but it's not likely compatible with the Amazon streaming service.
post #547 of 657 Old 02-15-2015, 05:51 PM

Liked: 0
Thanks everyone for your valuable input.
post #548 of 657 Old 02-16-2015, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
How well does the built in scraper work on the 720? Are you able to scrape directly to the file, or do you have to set up a folder for each file then scrape to the folder?
post #549 of 657 Old 02-16-2015, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram404 View Post
Hi All,

I am trying to decide between the Latest Version of the WD TV Media Player and the KDLinks 720.
1. Does the KDLinks 720 also upscale videos that are of lower resolution to 1080P?
2. How is the menu/navigation as compared to WD TV Media Player?
3. Does this pass thru the DTS HD Master Audio to an AV Receiver on the HDMI?

I have owned the WD Player in the past and was happy with the navigation and playback capabilities. My primary use would be to play video files off a Hard Disk that is directly attached to the Media Player.
I primarily use my wdtv live smp for movie streaming. I used the kdlinks720 for a couple months but ultimately retired it.
1. Yes. You will see the resolution of a dvd on your tv as 1920x1080. If you mean "is the image upgraded?" I'm not sure, but it looks great.
2. of the unit itself I assume? It's downright ugly. It does the job though. Search youtube and you can see it. It's one of the reasons I switched to the WDTV. It looked better.
3. Yes it does.

I started getting loud popping sounds from my 720. It forced me to retire the unit. The WDTV live smp has its drawbacks. It does not support forced subs, and rewinding/ff of full BD ISO rips is difficult.
post #550 of 657 Old 02-16-2015, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB123 View Post
Just got a HD700 about a week ago. My BD are captured as .ISO files, and so far all have played without flaws (only about 5 watched movies, but so far, so good (e.g., no noticeable glitches, etc).

One initial question though is that it appears to be automatically starting with the Subtitles on, and not always in my selected language (English). So I have to manually turn off subtitles. Is there a way to make 'No Subtitles' the automatic default startup?

Also, what is the general consensus around here that this unit is going to be supported down the road? I have read this forum pages and noticed Eric responded very well in the early pages, but then I saw signs of non-response later. I come from the Netgear NeoTV-550 product line, which was eventually abandoned by Netgear. I sure hate to have another 'white elephant' on my hands. What I feel so far is that the HD700 needs work in the user interface. If they came out with something with some 'wow factor', they could really have something going for them.
This happened every time I started a movie. There is an option to turn off auto subs but I'm not sure if it works. I started this thread to offer new users a place to go for support. And I was crazy into researching these things, trying to get something for my new house. Since KDlinks is a new company, and by judging from their website, a very diverse company, and Eric's support is questionable, I didn't want to get involved in a product that did not have a track record or plans for the future. Or even a dedicated fan base to carry out support if the developer jumped ship. The only company that seems to do all this is DUNE. WD has a great fan base, solid company, but I'm not sure where they are going with their streamers. Taking Netflix out of their new SMP was a bad choice IMO, and they recently sent a survey for their users which plants and idead in my head they they might be going in a new direction.
post #551 of 657 Old 02-17-2015, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post
I've got 3 720 units and the A200
Which model is better? Are they both compatible with the same file formats?

I am interested in playing files from a NAS, and playing subtitles.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 w/ Denon AVR-1612, Polk Audio RM6750 | BenQ W1070 Projector w/ Silver Ticket 120" Screen & Onkyo HT-S770 | Sony Bravia XBR-60LX900 w/ Sony HTCT550W 3D Sound Bar | Sony SXRD KDS-R70XBR2 | Sony PS3 (Slim) | DIRECTV Genie HR44-500, C41s | Harmony 700
post #552 of 657 Old 02-17-2015, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Which model is better? Are they both compatible with the same file formats?

I am interested in playing files from a NAS, and playing subtitles.
Technically, the A200 is the better model because it has newer hardware and the Android OS, making it very flexible as a media player device since you can install third-party media player apps and access streaming services. Both have nearly identical performance as far as I can tell, but the A200 is made for networked use and playback of local storage while the HD720 is built around using the localized storage (HDD Bay) and primitive network file sharing. Since you want to play from a NAS, you need to make sure that your Ethernet network and your NAS are up to the task.
bigcat likes this.
post #553 of 657 Old 02-17-2015, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
Technically, the A200 is the better model because it has newer hardware and the Android OS, making it very flexible as a media player device since you can install third-party media player apps and access streaming services. Both have nearly identical performance as far as I can tell, but the A200 is made for networked use and playback of local storage while the HD720 is built around using the localized storage (HDD Bay) and primitive network file sharing. Since you want to play from a NAS, you need to make sure that your Ethernet network and your NAS are up to the task.
Or buy a mede8er unit which has the same chipset as the HD720, has an active development and support team, and plays files like a champ from a NAS.
bigcat likes this.

Looky here!
post #554 of 657 Old 02-17-2015, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
Or buy a mede8er unit which has the same chipset as the HD720, has an active development and support team, and plays files like a champ from a NAS.
Who sells the the mede8er in the US? Looks like Amazon does not carry them.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 w/ Denon AVR-1612, Polk Audio RM6750 | BenQ W1070 Projector w/ Silver Ticket 120" Screen & Onkyo HT-S770 | Sony Bravia XBR-60LX900 w/ Sony HTCT550W 3D Sound Bar | Sony SXRD KDS-R70XBR2 | Sony PS3 (Slim) | DIRECTV Genie HR44-500, C41s | Harmony 700
post #555 of 657 Old 02-17-2015, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Who sells the the mede8er in the US? Looks like Amazon does not carry them.
http://www.mediaconceptusa.com/mede8er.html
bigcat likes this.
post #556 of 657 Old 02-17-2015, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay0222 View Post
These guys are fast and will load the latest firmware before shipping as well.

Looky here!
post #557 of 657 Old 02-19-2015, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Which model?
post #558 of 657 Old 02-19-2015, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Any will do, but if you don't need an internal HDD capability, get the 600X3D.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #559 of 657 Old 02-19-2015, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That does look nice. I like the interface. I can see this unit as a possible replacement to my wdtv. I'm kinda fixated on the Dune D1 right now though. Just trying to get more info about it. The full BD menu playback seems to be reason enough to upgrade for me. I am trying to find out how it works with MyMovies. I know the Medi8er also works with MyMovies too.
post #560 of 657 Old 02-19-2015, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
That does look nice. I like the interface. I can see this unit as a possible replacement to my wdtv. I'm kinda fixated on the Dune D1 right now though. Just trying to get more info about it. The full BD menu playback seems to be reason enough to upgrade for me. I am trying to find out how it works with MyMovies. I know the Medi8er also works with MyMovies too.
The Dunes work perfectly with My Movies and Zappiti. This has been discussed numerous time on many threads. The are pushing five years old now. Any bugs with My Movies and Zappiti have been worked out long ago. The Dunes are the gold standard when it comes to Full ISO playback. Look no further and just order the thing.
post #561 of 657 Old 02-19-2015, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB123 View Post
One initial question though is that it appears to be automatically starting with the Subtitles on, and not always in my selected language (English). So I have to manually turn off subtitles. Is there a way to make 'No Subtitles' the automatic default startup?
You can set the subs "off by default" in the set up menu, however there is a bug in all versions of firmware where if you turn on Subs for any movie it toggles the setup menu to "default on". This is an issue with all version of firmwares. It has yet to be addressed. Eric is a seller. He may or may not have direct contact with firmware developers. This issue may never be corrected. I do not own this but had set one up for a client and had found the bug. I reported to Eric but no fix has been issued.
post #562 of 657 Old 02-19-2015, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
You can set the subs "off by default" in the set up menu, however there is a bug in all versions of firmware where if you turn on Subs for any movie it toggles the setup menu to "default on". This is an issue with all version of firmwares. It has yet to be addressed. Eric is a seller. He may or may not have direct contact with firmware developers. This issue may never be corrected. I do not own this but had set one up for a client and had found the bug. I reported to Eric but no fix has been issued.
I too have contacted Eric about it. A while ago. I thought it was fixed with the latest firmware though.
post #563 of 657 Old 02-19-2015, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
The Dunes work perfectly with My Movies and Zappiti. This has been discussed numerous time on many threads. The are pushing five years old now. Any bugs with My Movies and Zappiti have been worked out long ago. The Dunes are the gold standard when it comes to Full ISO playback. Look no further and just order the thing.
hahaha. These things are expensive. Can't seem to find one one sale anywhere.
post #564 of 657 Old 02-19-2015, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Mike@duneplayer is the only guy who has them new. I wouldn't discount either. You always pay for the best. You will not be disappointed,
post #565 of 657 Old 02-19-2015, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I too have contacted Eric about it. A while ago. I thought it was fixed with the latest firmware though.
No it is not to the best of knowledge.
post #566 of 657 Old 02-19-2015, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have a Dune Base 3D available. Used but in excellent conditions. Selling for a fair used price. PM me if you're interested.

Looky here!
post #567 of 657 Old 02-20-2015, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
I have a Dune Base 3D available. Used but in excellent conditions. Selling for a fair used price. PM me if you're interested.
I pm'd you but then I realized, no BD ISO or menu support?
post #568 of 657 Old 02-20-2015, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I pm'd you but then I realized, no BD ISO or menu support?
Already gone.

Looky here!
post #569 of 657 Old 02-20-2015, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 619
blu-ray menu

I've got 3 of these hd720 unit and I see that some blu-ray rips have full menu support and some do not??

MickinCT
post #570 of 657 Old 02-20-2015, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post
I've got 3 of these hd720 unit and I see that some blu-ray rips have full menu support and some do not??
Quote me but I believe if the menu needs java it wont be supported Most do. The ones that do have menus are they old or obscure movies?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Kdlinks Hd720 Extreme Full Hd 1080p 3d Media Player With Internal Hdd Bay Gigabit Network Built In W
Gear in this thread - Hd720 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page