post #31 of 423 Old 11-26-2013, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1Nger View Post

I think i may have answered my own question:

Can someone comment on their success using this process. Use BDinfo to identify the largest .mpls, open this .mpls in tsMuxeR ( it should bring in all the m2ts files associated with the .mpls in correct order?), select the output as M2TS muxing option. Will this work with this kind of movie?

Hi guys/gals. The last time I was here and posted at AVS was 6/18/2011. Far out!

Yes, Ginger, that is the exact way I used to do it. One remux lesson I learned was; select the HD Audio and a non HD Audio track if/when available. I was playing back my BD movie rips & remuxes on my HD Audio Home Theater and had no problems. When I set-up a spare media player (TVIX 6500 and WDTV) and BD movies at kids room and the home of a friend and relatives, my movies with only HD Audio would not (always) play the audio track.

*My ever so smart GF has done & did an edit to my signature... now using other ways of concealing my passwords*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 423 Old 11-26-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Thanks johnBlanker. So if the solution for seamless multibranch BD playback seems to suggest a remux to one m2ts file what is the easiest recommended way to do that using free tools (other than AnyDVD or DVDfab) for the rip?

I know this is off topic but I've heard of MakeMKV. Has anyone here used that with these kinds of movies? All I really want is to keep the main movie and the english HD audio track. Can MakeMkV compile the correct m2ts files together for seamless playback?

Kind of funny - I was looking for a simple way to play ripped BD movie from a HDD - with this news it seems its still going to require some work no different than my traditional approach to rip and re-encode (using BD rebuilder) and then burn to disc for playback in either my standalone BD player or PS3.

Thoughts?

Many Blurays contain the movie as a single m2ts so simple to copy single m2ts file with AnyDvd.
post #33 of 423 Old 11-27-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Does MakeMkv reencode? I want to use approach that gives best video and audio quality don't care how big file is.

No one responded to my post above about HD720 1080p 24 Hz menu ootion. Have people checked this box and watched a movie from an ISO where movie spread across multiple m2ts files? When that option enabled when switches from one m2ts to next goes into fast forward for video and audio no way to correct it until uncheck 1080p 24 Hz checkbox. My Epson 6010 projector is 1080p 24 Hz capable I hsve this option enabled on other devices such as my Oppo BDP-93 with no problems. I emailed Eric of KDLinks about this but haven't heard back.
post #34 of 423 Old 11-27-2013, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
MakeMKV does not re-encode. It just reorganizes the contents into a different container. The file size will be the same as the original unless you excluded things.
post #35 of 423 Old 11-27-2013, 12:53 PM

Liked: 15
Hi WynsWorld98 - did you get an answer yet to your 24fps question? I plan on using mine with that setting enabled so I'd be interested to know if this relates to multiple branch m2ts files or is it a glitch with the output setting in general. Did you try playing just a regular single m2ts BD ISO or BDMV?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #36 of 423 Old 11-27-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi WynsWorld98 - did you get an answer yet to your 24fps question? I plan on using mine with that setting enabled so I'd be interested to know if this relates to multiple branch m2ts files or is it a glitch with the output setting in general. Did you try playing just a regular single m2ts BD ISO or BDMV?

No response frim Eric yet. I haven't tried single m2ts file or iso with single m2ts while having 24 fps option enabled. The 24 fps option should be a set and forget. KDLINKS really needs to fix this ASAP. Who wants to remember to turn this option on and off all the time depending on file played??!

I also asked Eric detailed steps how to turn off subtitles globally, haven't heard back. I couldn't find such an option despite it being reported here that it exists.

It sounds like MakeMkv is a no brainer to deal with Blurays that have the movie spread across multiple m2ts files vs the much more expensive option of DvdFab Bluray Ripper which is expensive even for a one year subscription. The other option mentioned here of bdinfo and the remux app is a two step process. So unless the mkv file output from MakeMkv results in playback issues that seems to be the best option. Thoughts?
post #37 of 423 Old 11-27-2013, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post

Yes, I use MakeMKV. It joins the .m2ts files together and you can select any audio track you want. I think it un-ticks HD audio by default, but I just go in and tick that. It keeps 100% of the quality and just puts the info in a different container.

In the screen shot below, click on the Open Movie File, Just select the box with the largest file. You can see the arrow on the Avatar box that is 41.8GB. This is obviously the main movie. HD audio is unticked by default, so I just select that and un-tick all the other streams (lowers the file size a little). Select the output destination and click on MakeMKV. Could not be simpler. It's free right now, but I have a feeling it will eventually come out of beta and have a pricetag.

In the MakeMKV preferences, under advanced, put this:

-sel:all,+sel:(favlang|nolang),-sel:(havemulti|havelossless),+sel:mvcvideo,=100:all,-10:favlang

That will set English as the primary language, select the English subs and forced subs, and select the HD Audio. The only thing you have to worry about it making sure you get foreign language tracks for any foreign language films you have.

Looky here!
post #38 of 423 Old 11-27-2013, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

-sel:all,+sel:(favlang|nolang),-sel:(havemulti|havelossless),+sel:mvcvideo,=100:all,-10:favlang

That will set English as the primary language, select the English subs and forced subs, and select the HD Audio. The only thing you have to worry about it making sure you get foreign language tracks for any foreign language films you have.

If I want no subtitles of any kind and want HD Audio, what would I put? Thanks
post #39 of 423 Old 11-28-2013, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

nice, thanks!
post #40 of 423 Old 11-28-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Response from Eric about my questions:
Thank you reporting this fimware glitch to us. I will report it to engineer team. If possible, please don't use this 24Hz option. It's coming from vanilla 1186 firmware, and not optimized, so it may have some compatibility issue.

To answer your another subtitle question: go to HD720 Setup -> MISC, there is an option to turn off subtitle.
post #41 of 423 Old 11-29-2013, 05:12 AM

Thanks for the update WynsWrld98. I hope they fix the 24Hz glitch with a firmware update. I wonder if anyone else experienced what you did and if its limited to multiple branch movies?
post #42 of 423 Old 12-03-2013, 11:52 AM

Liked: 10

KDLINKS HD720

For whatever it is worth, here are some of my issues and solutions, and questions regarding my recently purchased KDLINKS HD720.

issue 1. The purchased unit indicated that it already had firmware version 1.1 installed, however, the TMDB movie artwork function was not working.

solution 1. downloaded HD720 v1.1 firmware from kdlinks website and installed.  problem solved.

issue 2. The unit would always start on the "initial setup" page whenever the unit was turned on, and was sometime difficult to get to "home".

solution 2. After completing "initial setup" and finally navigating to "home", with the unit on, pressing and holding the power switch on the unit itself (not the remote) until the unit turned off. Then turn the unit back on.  Now, the unit starts in the "home" screen every time.

issue 3.  When I play a DVD file (either VOB or ISO) from either the internal hard drive, usb connected drive, or a network drive, the subtitles are not available when I hit the "subtitle" button on the remote.  

solution 3. I start to play the DVD file, hit the "stop" button after a few seconds of play .  Restart the DVD, then the subtitles are available.

Question: does anyone know why the subtitles do not initially show up upon the playing of a DVD file?  

Thanks to everyone for all you help.

post #43 of 423 Old 12-03-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Wow, I did not experience the first two problems. As for the subs, there is an option in the setup menu under "misc" that says something "Show auto subtitles". Have you tried turning that on?
post #44 of 423 Old 12-03-2013, 06:26 PM

Yep, I messed with the "auto load subtitle" function under the Misc Setup, but to no avail.  Still the same problem with subtitles.  Thanks for the suggestion.

post #45 of 423 Old 12-04-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdog99 View Post

Yep, I messed with the "auto load subtitle" function under the Misc Setup, but to no avail.  Still the same problem with subtitles.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Recommend emailing Eric at KDLinks
post #46 of 423 Old 12-07-2013, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I've been reading about the KDLinks HD720 and am wondering if somebody might be able to answer a couple of questions. My needs right now I think are pretty simple, though the more I read about the various streaming media players, the more complicated the whole issue appears. confused.gif

One of the primary things I want to do fairly easily is store my music files on a dedicated HDD to play on my main HT sound system through my AVR. I use iTunes so most of my 50-60 GB is in m4a, with a small amount m4p and a portion is mp3 with probably some wav thrown in there. I'll still keep iTunes on my laptop, just copy and transfer music files to the media player HDD over my LAN or through USB if need be. My AVR is an Onkyo TXnr609 which is DLNA compliant and recognizes WMP7 but since WMP doesn't recognize m4a, I can't play most of my library and would like to have the music on another server anyway. So my first question is, should I be able to play all of these files through the player hooked up by HDMI to the receiver, which I think should be pretty straightforward? Second, will the AVR recognized the KDL as a DLNA server and be able stream music over my LAN through the AVR when the KDL is in standby mode? The second would probably be the most ideal situation, though the first would meet my needs.

I do have some DVD files that I would like to transfer to this HDD as well. This is something I want to expand on and would want to put digital copies of my BDs on there too, probably evolve into buying digital downloads of movies instead of discs and move away from physical media over time. At some point I might want to explore ripping BDs and my HDDVDs and storing them on the KDL too, though that is for the future and not a big concern for me at present. I figure if I bought this unit and installed a 3 or 4 TB internal HDD, it would give me some room for growth for storing and playing music, movies and photos and videos too.

The other question is would my Samsung "Smart TV" which is now on the LAN also be able to play any of this material over the LAN? That would be bonus but not a high priority at this time.

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye." - 2001:ASO
post #47 of 423 Old 12-09-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I found a problem with the HD720 last night with a MKV made from a DVD with MakeMKV. I could fast forward just fine but rewind would just show the rewind speed on screen but do nothing, like it was on pause. I tried it multiple times never worked for rewind. I then tried it on an m2ts file and both FF and REW worked. Anyone else have any MKVs from DVDs they can try REW on?
post #48 of 423 Old 12-11-2013, 06:57 PM

Just joined, partially to respond to this thread

I've owned a 700 for a couple of years.  I find the software somewhat buggy, user interface somewhat difficult, but the biggest challenge of all, getting the audio to play nice with my receiver.  I especially love (NOT) that the hardwire connection has died, now streaming wifi.

Wife finally tired of fighting with the UI and I found a "useable" solution for her, my PC feeds the TIVO from the server.  Of course, it's not without problems.

I'm thinking that the best solution is going to be a dedicated PC, and currently working on a build list.

post #49 of 423 Old 12-12-2013, 08:25 AM

I have been email back and forth with Eric from KDlinks and here is the most recent email response from Eric:

I ripped 2 movies last night, and ran some tests. Yes, I can reproduce this issue. I am very sorry about this firmware glitch. I am going to report it to manufacture and it would be fixed in our next firmware. If you have any other suggestion, please don't hesitate to let me know. HD720 is a very new product, we are gathering all suggestions to make it better and better. :-)

Thanks with Best Regards!

Eric
post #50 of 423 Old 12-12-2013, 09:06 PM

What am I missing? Help!

I have a KDLink HD700 connected to a BenQ W1250 3D* 1080p Full HD** DLP Projector. From what I understand this is the same as the W1070 model. I am having problems playing 3d mkv files. Now playing is not the correct term because the video actually plays. The projector just never goes into 3d mode and displays the SBS image raw. There is no way to force this project into 3d mode as the options are greyed out. Everything is HDMI cabled.

From what I also understand the HD700 supports 3d, the project supports 3d, why is the project not going into 3d mode. There seems to be no option on the HD700 to tell it that the project support 3d. Nothing in the manual suggest anything about a 3d option.

BTW, I have used a PS3 to play 3D Blue-Rays to the projector and the project enters 3D mode without issue.

What is the missing link?

Thanks for your help!

post #51 of 423 Old 12-13-2013, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospoon99 View Post

What am I missing? Help!

I have a KDLink HD700 connected to a BenQ W1250 3D* 1080p Full HD** DLP Projector. From what I understand this is the same as the W1070 model. I am having problems playing 3d mkv files. Now playing is not the correct term because the video actually plays. The projector just never goes into 3d mode and displays the SBS image raw. There is no way to force this project into 3d mode as the options are greyed out. Everything is HDMI cabled.

From what I also understand the HD700 supports 3d, the project supports 3d, why is the project not going into 3d mode. There seems to be no option on the HD700 to tell it that the project support 3d. Nothing in the manual suggest anything about a 3d option.

BTW, I have used a PS3 to play 3D Blue-Rays to the projector and the project enters 3D mode without issue.

What is the missing link?

Thanks for your help!

What program is used to make the 3D MKV?
post #52 of 423 Old 12-21-2013, 08:07 AM

Well I'm busy ripping my movies to my new HD720 and a thought crossed my mind. Does anyone stream movies from the player to their IPhones or IPads? If so what's the easiest (and free) way to do it?

post #53 of 423 Old 12-24-2013, 01:50 PM

Just joined for this thread.

Received my HD720 via Amazon just this morning.  Very excited.

Was using an Iogear GMD2025 for years, worked awesome as a portable player... but no HD and the only way to manage files is to plug the unit into the PC with the USB cable, not very convenient.  Decided to upgrade to a brand new Micca EP350, but it showed up sans power cord, then once that was resolved the network functions were DOA.  Returned it pronto.

Now I have unpacked my HD720 and went through initial setup. Already scratching my head. 

One of the four initial setup items is 'screen size' and you are supposed to use your remote to adjust the red dashed lines to fit your screen.  Well, I can't figure out how to adjust the screen size... manual says to use left/right and up/down buttons to adjust, but they don't do anything.  Is this necessary?  Seems to work fine without changing it... wondering why it is so important that it must be one of the first things I see and doesn't even work.

Took me 30 minutes to figure out how to "see" the HD720 from my computer so I can copy files.  There are virtually no instructions explicitly explaining the procedure.  But I eventually stumbled my way through.

I already had a SATA 500Gb HD I purchased for my Micca EP350, so I slid that in and am happy that all of my movies and shows appear instantly.  Whew, no formatting and hours of copying needed.  Thank you!

However, I did have four movies that I needed to copy onto the HD720 from my computer.  I copied the four AVI files (not even high def) and pasted them into my HD720 movie folder.  You have to be kidding me.  306kb/s file transfer speed.  4.31Gb total transfer started over an hour ago and Windows still estimates 3.5 hours to go.  I downloaded all four of these movies last night in about 20 minutes... how can I torrent at 3000kb/s but can only move the files to my HD720 at 300kb/s?

Thanks guys!

post #54 of 423 Old 12-24-2013, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just to let everyone know this player doesnt play correct framrate for 3d bluerays
post #55 of 423 Old 12-24-2013, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenDriven View Post

Just joined for this thread.

Received my HD720 via Amazon just this morning.  Very excited.

Was using an Iogear GMD2025 for years, worked awesome as a portable player... but no HD and the only way to manage files is to plug the unit into the PC with the USB cable, not very convenient.  Decided to upgrade to a brand new Micca EP350, but it showed up sans power cord, then once that was resolved the network functions were DOA.  Returned it pronto.

Now I have unpacked my HD720 and went through initial setup. Already scratching my head. 

One of the four initial setup items is 'screen size' and you are supposed to use your remote to adjust the red dashed lines to fit your screen.  Well, I can't figure out how to adjust the screen size... manual says to use left/right and up/down buttons to adjust, but they don't do anything.  Is this necessary?  Seems to work fine without changing it... wondering why it is so important that it must be one of the first things I see and doesn't even work.

Took me 30 minutes to figure out how to "see" the HD720 from my computer so I can copy files.  There are virtually no instructions explicitly explaining the procedure.  But I eventually stumbled my way through.

I already had a SATA 500Gb HD I purchased for my Micca EP350, so I slid that in and am happy that all of my movies and shows appear instantly.  Whew, no formatting and hours of copying needed.  Thank you!

However, I did have four movies that I needed to copy onto the HD720 from my computer.  I copied the four AVI files (not even high def) and pasted them into my HD720 movie folder.  You have to be kidding me.  306kb/s file transfer speed.  4.31Gb total transfer started over an hour ago and Windows still estimates 3.5 hours to go.  I downloaded all four of these movies last night in about 20 minutes... how can I torrent at 3000kb/s but can only move the files to my HD720 at 300kb/s?

Thanks guys!

For your second question, it's not you. The 720 has extremely slow transfer speeds. If you ask Kdlinks about it, they blame the chipset being used.

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #56 of 423 Old 12-24-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post

For your second question, it's not you. The 720 has extremely slow transfer speeds. If you ask Kdlinks about it, they blame the chipset being used.

Ugh... one of the main reasons I am upgrading players is because I am tired of physically moving the player over to the computer just to update files.  This is getting ridiculous.

post #57 of 423 Old 12-25-2013, 09:16 AM

I've been very pleased with my 720 so far. I've ripped nearly 90 movies at this point to the internal HDD (4TB Seagate). 99% were copied as ISO both BD and DVD. 1% are MKV (mainly to deal with multi branched BD movies. I use BDinfo for playlist info and MakeMKV for the build.

I love the ability to go out and get the movie info and artwork using the Get Movie info option. I learned to change the title if it didn't find the movie when it did it's search of the various databases. If you go to the Jukebox app afterwards you will see your movie library all laid out for you. Really nice and convenient when your browsing for something to watch. It also brings up the movie info when your playing the file.

As for playing files over the network this isn't such a big deal for me as I don't have a wired network and know that playing these large files with HD audio over my wireless network would be futile. I'm primarily using the 720 as a means to library my movie collection which is probably around 200 at this time. I'd love to be able to stream to my iPad or iPhone but suspect this isn't so easy to do plus I'd run into the same wireless streaming limitations unless I compressed my files down but that would compromise PQ which I don't want to do. There's always trade offs to consider...

Since my HT setup is near my home office moving the 720 to my laptop or vice versa isn't such a big deal. Once my collection is ripped this would only be an occasional activity anyway to add new movies. Also once the internal HDD is full I'd just rip the new files to an external HD.

As for support. Eric at KDLinks has been terrific. He mentioned to me that a new firmware is due out shortly. Not sure what will be included but he's looking to us users to proactively provide feedback and suggestions to make the player even better. That's real good customer service in my opinion. I'm no super user - yet - but if anyone has any questions about their player and setup I'd be glad to assist if I can.

I too had to figure out how to move the red lines on the screen size dialog setup. Just hold down the arrow keys and you will see the red lines move up and down slowly.

Good luck and Merry Christmas to all. Especially my neighbours in the Toronto area who are still without power as a result of the ice storm. Sure makes you realize how blessed you are when you have electricity in the winter time!

post #58 of 423 Old 12-25-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

Response from Eric about my questions:
Thank you reporting this fimware glitch to us. I will report it to engineer team. If possible, please don't use this 24Hz option. It's coming from vanilla 1186 firmware, and not optimized, so it may have some compatibility issue.

To answer your another subtitle question: go to HD720 Setup -> MISC, there is an option to turn off subtitle.

G1Nger: have you played around with the 24 fps option?
post #59 of 423 Old 12-25-2013, 02:49 PM

WynsWrld98 - I do have it turned on. When I check my HDMI info on my Denon 1612 it doesn't indicate 1080p 24Hz like it does with my PS3 so not sure it's working.

post #60 of 423 Old 12-25-2013, 04:16 PM

I have owned the kdlinks 700 for since May '13.I have it wired on my network through a netgear N6300 gigabit. I researched and researched in order to get the most reliable Media Player I could. I play mostly MKV's and ISO's. So it started to have issues studdering or not even playing. It would skip often and sometimes not want to start movies. So i emailed KDLINKS and ERIC responded very quickly and suggested a few things. He said set it up for NFS and he sent me tutorial from YOUTUBE. After watching and doing the very easy things it said to do. It turned my frown upside down. It plays everything I throw at it now! It will even fast forward/rewind an ISO with no issues. Before I couldnt even get it to play. So I wanted to let you guys in on this. NFS streaming with the KDLINKS 700 is the way to go!

I am using an AMD system about 2 or years old with a external 4TB HDD connected USB 2.0

Its streaming through my YAMAHA 673 to a my LG Plasma.

I have had only 1 issue and its while I am copying and watching movies from the HDD at the same time. EASY FIX - do one thing at a time.:)

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Kdlinks Hd720 Extreme Full Hd 1080p 3d Media Player With Internal Hdd Bay Gigabit Network Built In W
Gear in this thread - Hd720 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page