*Official* KDLinks HD*** Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 660 Old 05-04-2015, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
No real input here, other than it is not too bright to admit downloading from torrents on a public forum unless you want to bring the heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post

Aren't there legal Torrents to download?
Yes, of course there are legal Torrents to download! Who said anything about downloading illegal content from a public forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 660 Old 05-04-2015, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
hahaha. The Dunes won me over. What can I say. All due to you.

Aren't there legal Torrents to download?
I do not know of any... It just makes me cringe whenever an end user says " It plays anything I have thrown at it" arrgggg!

I have only played ISOs and my Dunes and all have played flawlessly.

I've paid for my sins. We're even!
post #633 of 660 Old 05-04-2015, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audeophyle View Post
Yes, of course there are legal Torrents to download! Who said anything about downloading illegal content from a public forum.
Educate me please. What legal torrent is 40 gig that you would download to the KDlinks?

post #634 of 660 Old 05-04-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
Educate me please. What legal torrent is 40 gig that you would download to the KDlinks?
Interesting. First you say I'm not too bright and now you ask for education.

Sorry, I have better things to do, but since you have such thirst for this knowledge feel free to research "Creative Commons."
post #635 of 660 Old 05-05-2015, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audeophyle View Post
On my PC, using ********** or UTorrent, my download speeds are 10X that of direct downloads to my HD720 (using the built in torrent utility). Direct downloads to the HD720 are especially futile with large full BD disk source files.

post #636 of 660 Old 05-05-2015, 08:36 AM

A blu-ray disc is nothing more than a storage medium my friend.
post #637 of 660 Old 05-05-2015, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007james View Post
Thanks for the info, I won't even use the built-in Blu-Ray... will order one next week after vacation....
For some reason I decided not to wait and placed the Dune refurb B1 order last night, seems like i got the last one, for now at least
post #638 of 660 Old 05-06-2015, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
For some reason I decided not to wait and placed the Dune refurb B1 order last night, seems like i got the last one, for now at least
welcome to the club. Be sure to check out yaDIS, 10muse, mymovies, and zappiti for front end jukeboxes. I use yadis. Once it's setup, you can set it to power on to yadis so when it starts it starts up with the yadis interface. really cool.
Oh, and don't forget to find a 2GB memory stick or sd card to plug into the dune for system storage.
post #639 of 660 Old 05-07-2015, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Actually, my order was canceled, real bummer ... I hope they get more refurbs back in

Quote:
welcome to the club. Be sure to check out yaDIS, 10muse, mymovies, and zappiti for front end jukeboxes. I use yadis. Once it's setup, you can set it to power on to yadis so when it starts it starts up with the yadis interface. really cool.
Oh, and don't forget to find a 2GB memory stick or sd card to plug into the dune for system storage.
post #640 of 660 Old 05-07-2015, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Actually, my order was canceled, real bummer ... I hope they get more refurbs back in
Did you call Mike? 908-968-0859. That's where they are coming from.
post #641 of 660 Old 05-07-2015, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Is there an official Dune thread?

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #642 of 660 Old 05-07-2015, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post
Is there an official Dune thread?
There are a couple but none of them are "Official". This is the one that has been the most active:
New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010
post #643 of 660 Old 05-07-2015, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There are a couple but none of them are "Official". This is the one that has been the most active:
New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010
Well, I only really ask because the last several messages have been about Dune players, where this is supposed to be a KDLinks thread. So I keep getting notifications of new activity, only to see that it doesn't pertain to the unit I have, or even the brand of the unit I have. Not trying to make a big deal about it, but maybe move the Dune conversation over there?

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #644 of 660 Old 05-07-2015, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

sure. No prob.
post #645 of 660 Old 06-24-2015, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello there!

I just purchased and received the HD720 from Amazon based on some pretty darn good reviews and the appearance that it would meet my needs, which are:

Transferring gopro video from my computer/network to the player to play into my Samsung TV (networked ethernet which won't play files from my USB drive). I have to transfer the files to my C drive to play to TV. So my work around was to get this player with Seagate 3TB hard drive and stash all my archived videos there and add new ones via ethernet. In the future, I will add to the HD720 library one file at a time from my network.

That being said, I'm having a heck of a time connecting the HD720 to my network. I've tried wired and wireless and I keep getting test connection failed. I know there could be a zillion reasons why I can't connect. But I can say that auto DHCP won't work. So in my linksys e4200 dual band router, I set up a DHCP reservation for WIFI. I used the MAC address that is displayed in the "Network status" screen of the HD720. There is no MAC address listed for wired and in fact, the only field that is populated is the wireless MAC address. So I go through the painful process of entering all the IP addresses, and the unit just sits there for about a minute and goes back to the screen that lets you select auto or manual setup. I am seeing my wireless network 2X on the wireless screen. They are both the same. I know they are 2.4 since the 5.8 band has an "_5" trailing the network ID. If I pick the second wifi network, it will not auto DHCP (test failed) and I repeat the process for manual setup. Same results. If I go back to the first wireless network to try again, all the IP addresses are set back to the defaults and I got to go through the painful process all over again.

I did read over many of the posts in here and it seems like you guys are already advanced enough that connections don't really get discussed. My home network has quite a few devices connected including a weather station, cameras, Rokus, TV's. I have been successful in the past getting things connected, but I'm still kinda dumb when it comes to setting up router connections.

So I set up a reserved DHCP....only because this is how I set up my cameras, weather station, etc. I used an available IP address and typed in the wireless MAC address on the player and saved the settings. I entered these values in the HD720:

IP 192.168.1.130
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
default gateway 192.168.1.1 (my router address?)
DNS 151.202.0.85 (I got this off the router setup page and entered it not really knowing if I had to or not)

Under wireless tab, I see the 2 bands listed with ID of ******318 for 2.4 and ******318_5 for 5.8. The passphrases are visible and these are what I enter on the HD720.

So if my memory serves me correctly, I set up port forwarding for my other devices. But I did this with the understanding that I was going to want accesss to my devices remotely. Do I need to set up port forawarding with the HD720? I know I'm missing something or doing something wrong here but I don't have enough savvy to figure it out.

I really prefer a wired connection as in my mind, transferring files would be faster. But my research is saying that the file transfer speeds are slow because of the chipset. I also saw something in this thread that I may have to correct. When I formatted the HD720 hard drive, I'm pretty sure I quick formatted and didn't select NTFS. The files I have on the drive now are playing, but most of them are missing thumbnails.

I also noticed that when I tried the firmware upgrade with a USB 3.0 stick, the HD720 just sat there and waited. It wasn't unti I stuck the upgrad on a USB 2.0 stick that it upgraded. This kinda stuff makes a nagging connection issue even that much worse. Not to mention a remote that needs to be pointed DIRECTLY at the unti. I just want to connect to my network

Any help will be appreciated.

I was in contact with Eric last night about this, but he seemed to vanish during the troubleshooting process. Sure would be nice to get on the phone with somebody.
post #646 of 660 Old 06-24-2015, 06:17 AM

Just to clarify.....I did the format in the HD720. I just talked to an IT guy here at work and he said auto DHCP (especially wired) should connect right up. But he suggested if that didn't work, to forget about the DHCP resefvation stuff, set a fixed IP in the HD720 outside the range of DHCP and set DNS to the router IP. He said if that doesn't work to seriously consider sending back this unit.
post #647 of 660 Old 06-24-2015, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjeff View Post
Just to clarify.....I did the format in the HD720. I just talked to an IT guy here at work and he said auto DHCP (especially wired) should connect right up. But he suggested if that didn't work, to forget about the DHCP resefvation stuff, set a fixed IP in the HD720 outside the range of DHCP and set DNS to the router IP. He said if that doesn't work to seriously consider sending back this unit.
I don't use this device anymore but I don't remember having a hard time getting it to work. I shared a folder on my Windows pc and made sure it was accessible from another pc/device. Then just fired up the KDLINKS and go through, computer, workgroup, etc and it would just pop up.
post #648 of 660 Old 06-24-2015, 09:15 AM

Smile

Quote:
I don't use this device anymore but I don't remember having a hard time getting it to work. I shared a folder on my Windows pc and made sure it was accessible from another pc/device. Then just fired up the KDLINKS and go through, computer, workgroup, etc and it would just pop up.
Were you connecting through a router? Wireless or wired? If so...how did you set up the HD720? I'm getting desperate here.
post #649 of 660 Old 06-24-2015, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It was literally just plug and play. No wireless in my house. everything is ethernet. Well, except cellphones/tablets. I just shared a folder using Window's smb shares. Right-click on a folder click share, advanced, share with everybody, both read/write access. Done. It should show up in the kdlinks under workgroup.
post #650 of 660 Old 06-24-2015, 01:56 PM

Ok...I'll give that a try a little later tonight. Fingers crossed and thanks!
post #651 of 660 Old 06-26-2015, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey all

Been reading this forum and this thread for a while. Splashed out on the HD720 to replace the need to move my laptop to the front room to play very HD content.

My only issue is that using my laptop, I can output at 120Hz on my Sharp TV. I can only achieve 1080p 60Hz using the HD720. I am a bit of a nitpicker, so I see ghosting on HD movies streaming across the network. I have bought a 3TB internal drive for the HD720 in an attempt to resolve it but I am not sure it will. I'll know tomorrow when Amazon deliver!

Are there any tricks to remove this ghosting? Do you think having an internal drive will help?

It'a a shame I cannot get HDMI to run 20m or so, otherwise I would have stuck with the gaming laptop approach
post #652 of 660 Old 06-28-2015, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm hoping someone can help me with this. Having trouble accessing the folders on my iMac via this media player (KDlinks HD720).

I have this connected to my home network (hard-wired with an ethernet cable). I go to Files Manager > Network > Workgroup > iMac. Then comes the first "Network Login" screen (which I have no problem successfully logging-in to). My shared folders appear just as they should.

But when I then click on one of those folders, another "Network Login" screen appears. I enter the same username and password, only now I get a "Logon Fail" message and no files are shown.

I was using a guest account, and then a tried a new account I created (with no luck), and it even happens when using my admin username/password.

I have a Boxee as well, and that works fine. No issues with the Boxee accessing and playing the files on my iMac.

I'm on an iMac, using OSX 10.7.5. Filesharing is using SMB Windows sharing option.
post #653 of 660 Old 06-28-2015, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Bennett View Post
Hey all

Been reading this forum and this thread for a while. Splashed out on the HD720 to replace the need to move my laptop to the front room to play very HD content.

My only issue is that using my laptop, I can output at 120Hz on my Sharp TV. I can only achieve 1080p 60Hz using the HD720. I am a bit of a nitpicker, so I see ghosting on HD movies streaming across the network. I have bought a 3TB internal drive for the HD720 in an attempt to resolve it but I am not sure it will. I'll know tomorrow when Amazon deliver!

Are there any tricks to remove this ghosting? Do you think having an internal drive will help?

It'a a shame I cannot get HDMI to run 20m or so, otherwise I would have stuck with the gaming laptop approach
I posted this yesterday and apparently it didn't go through, so here goes again...Monoprice has 75 and 100 foot hdmi runs so I don't know why that wouldn't work if that's what you wanted to do.

post #654 of 660 Old 06-29-2015, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante_101 View Post
I'm hoping someone can help me with this. Having trouble accessing the folders on my iMac via this media player (KDlinks HD720).

I have this connected to my home network (hard-wired with an ethernet cable). I go to Files Manager > Network > Workgroup > iMac. Then comes the first "Network Login" screen (which I have no problem successfully logging-in to). My shared folders appear just as they should.

But when I then click on one of those folders, another "Network Login" screen appears. I enter the same username and password, only now I get a "Logon Fail" message and no files are shown.

I was using a guest account, and then a tried a new account I created (with no luck), and it even happens when using my admin username/password.

I have a Boxee as well, and that works fine. No issues with the Boxee accessing and playing the files on my iMac.

I'm on an iMac, using OSX 10.7.5. Filesharing is using SMB Windows sharing option.
Interesting that you mention this. I have been in contact with Eric about the same problem I have on a PC. Same ethernet setup. I can see some folders. I can get in to some folders with no logon prompt. I can not get into others no matter what I type in the login screen. (which made me wonder what login info is it looking for) When I do get into a folder, it's a crap shoot whether it will stream the file or not. I checked all my permissions and my LAN is wide open to anyone and everyone. But I'm able to read/write to the HD720 with no problem whatsoever. I was chalking it off to a windows issue. And seeing how I really had no intentions of streaming from my pc, I figured I just have to live with it. But at least now I know I'm not the only one having this issue.
Dante_101 likes this.
post #655 of 660 Old 06-29-2015, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I would like for it to stream, but as I am in the process of moving all my video files off of DVDs and onto thumb drives, I guess the most important thing is it's ability to play off of thumb drives (which, like virtually all other media players, it does just fine).

Just weird, though, how my Boxee doesn't have any such issues.

The main reason I bought this kdlinks box was because I missed the special features (slow motion, A-B repeat, repeat file, etc). My Boxee can't do any of that.
post #656 of 660 Old 06-29-2015, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This may be a long shot, but does anyone have a remote control for the KDLinks 720HD that they want to sell? Mine has gone missing (either I left it somewhere or my boys have hid it).

Thanks..
post #657 of 660 Old 06-30-2015, 09:43 PM
jcg
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I just borrowed a HD720 from a friend that just bought his to see if it would work in my setup. I'm trying to connect the component outputs to my old TV and the HDMI output to my projector. If I power the unit on and only connect the component outputs to my TV it works fine, but the minute I plug in the HDMI cable (even though my projector isn't even turned on) I lose the video to the TV???? How to I switch between video outputs so I can force the HD720 to output over component?

jcg
post #658 of 660 Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Defragment internal drive

Does the KDLinks HD720 do auto de-fragmenting. If not, is there a built-in manual procedure?
post #659 of 660 Old Yesterday, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Send a message to Eric. I had problems with my remote and he sent me a replacement at no charge.
post #660 of 660 Old Today, 12:06 PM
jcg
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
After playing with this a bit (and emailing customer support) it turns out this can't be done. The HD720 basically can only use 1 output for video. It does a "smart scan" to pick which outputs are plugged in and it picks the "best". Of course IMHO opinion the scan isn't too smart since even if my projector is turned off (but is still plugged into the HDMI output of the HD720) it will pick that output and not output over component which is actually the only output connected to something that is turned on (ie. the TV). Anyways probably not an issue for the majority as most people don't use component much anymore, and once my old TV dies and I have to upgrade I won't be using it either. It still seems that the firmware should allow you to pick and output with the remote just for cases like this.

jcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcg View Post
I just borrowed a HD720 from a friend that just bought his to see if it would work in my setup. I'm trying to connect the component outputs to my old TV and the HDMI output to my projector. If I power the unit on and only connect the component outputs to my TV it works fine, but the minute I plug in the HDMI cable (even though my projector isn't even turned on) I lose the video to the TV???? How to I switch between video outputs so I can force the HD720 to output over component?

jcg
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Kdlinks Hd720 Extreme Full Hd 1080p 3d Media Player With Internal Hdd Bay Gigabit Network Built In W
Gear in this thread - Hd720 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page